• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just realized I've been pronouncing "warez" wrong my whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It has always been "where-ez" in my mind(I don't think I have ever said it outloud).

I will continue to do so because:

• I don't really care about or respect a person or site that uses the term
  • If you wanted it said like 'wares' you should have just written it that way
  • I also think of "h4xors" as "hax ores" not "hackers"
  • I haven't encountered the word in years, doubt I will again after this thread

The last time I really heard those words were the times of transferring files on IRC networks through DCC. Man that was a long time ago, basically there were bots that were on servers that had say, music files, then you would message the bot with a search term for a song you want and it would send it to you via DCC on IRC. There were many, many channels and always had -warez at the end of them, etc.

Those days as a young kid with no money, that's how we got our files like music, you couldn't even buy it digitally any ways. Anything was transferable though, even games. It was cool at the time. Anyone else remember? That stuff died off though when bittorrent protocol and what not became popular, but at that time, that was the go-to way of getting anything you want if you knew how to use IRC.

BibiMaghoo

UK here, everyone I've ever heard use the word says it "wear-ez". This has been the case my entire life. I demand a retrial.

It has always been "where-ez" in my mind(I don't think I have ever said it outloud).

I will continue to do so because:

• I don't really care about or respect a person or site that uses the term
  • If you wanted it said like 'wares' you should have just written it that way
  • I also think of "h4xors" as "hax ores" not "hackers"
  • I haven't encountered the word in years, doubt I will again after this thread

I like how you felt the need to explain it like it's important.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I want the age of anyone pronouncing it like Juarez..

I mean, damn.. that's a logic jump to Juarez.

Now, someone explain to me how hearth is pronounced like harth... there's a fucking E in there.. I hate having to ignore that E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom