• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

gamma

I mean I guess.. the typical house, especially typical house with an Apple TV, doesn't have one single iOS device. Most often multiple, one for each family member, if not more (ipads)... even a relative's house, with 4 young kids.. I can't think of a time where they'd be "ok we are going to use this ipad to watch something on tv and then have to giev it back to the child to play games".. they'll watch something on one.. or the apple tv.. or one of a dozen devices.. etc. maybe there are just a bunch of households out there where they only have 1 or 2 ios devices, and an apple tv, and want to do that... /shrug

I do agree that airplaying something and then running to youtube or facebook happens to me.. but again, airplay handles that fine. but for me personally.. airplaying video, then playing audio on the phone.. I can't possibly think of why I, or anyone, would do that??

will probably get lost in this, but one awesome thing for iOS 11 is apparently apple eliminated the hardware security chip requirement with HomeKit. Devices still need to support end to end encryption, but are now allowed to handle encryption and authentication through software. So as long as your device is powerful enough to handle the encryption you can submit your device to apple, or (if it's an existing device) submit the software update for your device to apple.

That is awesome!

There's no reason to do YouTube -> iPad -> Apple TV if it can be straight from YouTube -> Apple TV. What's the point? And if anything it unnecessarily drains battery.

Anyway, there's an "Introducing AirPlay 2" session tomorrow so we might learn more about it.

Erebus

I don't know if it has been mentioned but apparently the lock screen can now be displayed in landscape mode on smaller iPhones as well.

landscape7lq5q.gif

I assume AirPlay 2 won’t end up on my old ass Apple TV.

Hopefully they release a 4K one soon. I’d love to have AirPlay functionality that’s more like how chromecast works. I hate having to leave a video playing in safari to send it via AirPlay

subrock

I assume AirPlay 2 won’t end up on my old ass Apple TV.

Hopefully they release a 4K one soon. I’d love to have AirPlay functionality that’s more like how chromecast works. I hate having to leave a video playing in safari to send it via AirPlay

There's an Airplay session on Friday. I'm going to be taking notes as it's one of my most relied upon Apple technologies.

There's no reason to do YouTube -> iPad -> Apple TV if it can be straight from YouTube -> Apple TV. What's the point? And if anything it unnecessarily drains battery.

Anyway, there's an "Introducing AirPlay 2" session tomorrow so we might learn more about it.
I'm pretty sure even on current AirPlay anything stored locally gets cached ahead and anything coming from a URL points the TV straight to that URL instead of actually routing it all through the phone.

I'm pretty sure even on current AirPlay anything stored locally gets cached ahead and anything coming from a URL points the TV straight to that URL instead of actually routing it all through the phone.

I don’t think that’s how it works. I have to use safari to watch videos sometimes and if I AirPlay them to my Apple TV I can’t close safari or the tab the video was on. If I do the video stops. In an ideal world it’d be like chromecast.

Installed the beta on my spare iPhone 6 Plus. All this use of gigantic text and extra bold looks so amateur and just inelegant. I have my font size set to the second smallest and it still looks bad.

And like everyone said. The new Notification Center is just a bad idea all around. Can't believe someone approved this.

Really feels like babby's first phone more than ever with how the UI design is evolving.

keenerz

hmm I literally just tried this on my 7 plus, so the notification "lock screen" works fine in landscape but the initial lock screen still shows up only portrait for me. Maybe its just bugged on mine.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And like everyone said. The new Notification Center is just a bad idea all around. Can't believe someone approved this.
everyone? The new notification center is a VAST improvement. Consistent, easy access and navigation, and intuitive.

As for the large text and bold.. it's simple and elegant IMHO. IT's not trying to inject style for sake of style. Working to be functional, visible while pleasing.

I get that people like change.. but some of these statements are hyperbole at its finest.

Juice

everyone? The new notification center is a VAST improvement. Consistent, easy access and navigation, and intuitive.

As for the large text and bold.. it's simple and elegant IMHO. IT's not trying to inject style for sake of style. Working to be functional, visible while pleasing.

I get that people like change.. but some of these statements are hyperbole at its finest.

Agree on both points.

Pretty sure I've talked myself into going all in on a 10.5" Pro, Pencil, and Smart Keyboard. I've heard that they should be available in Apple Stores on the 13th (from the iMore boards and MacRumors boards so I'm taking it with a grain of salt) so I'm probably going to venture out in the morning and try and snag one. Looks like an Air 2 in decent condition can snag about $250 on Swappa so I'll probably dump mine on there soon. $250 for a 3 year old machine I paid $550 isn't all bad.

LordOfChaos

I watched the Metal 2 session, looks like the 120Hz screen can indeed freely adapt like Gsync/Freesync, not just have a few set refresh rates like the previous 30/60 one.

Draper

I'm in love with the 10.5" new ipad, and that sleek new sleeve, and the intuitiveness of the new OS.

...I wants it.

You can swipe right on messages in the Notes app to pin them to the top of the list.

Pretty sure this is new to iOS 11. If not, I’m pissed I didn’t know about it before.

You can swipe right on messages in the Notes app to pin them to the top of the list.

Pretty sure this is new to iOS 11. If not, I’m pissed I didn’t know about it before.

Wonder if all this notes stuff (inc quick access) is enough to make me move from GoodNotes for my handwritten class notes. Guess we’ll see

Pretty sure I've talked myself into going all in on a 10.5" Pro, Pencil, and Smart Keyboard. I've heard that they should be available in Apple Stores on the 13th (from the iMore boards and MacRumors boards so I'm taking it with a grain of salt) so I'm probably going to venture out in the morning and try and snag one. Looks like an Air 2 in decent condition can snag about $250 on Swappa so I'll probably dump mine on there soon. $250 for a 3 year old machine I paid $550 isn't all bad.

250? That's not bad at all... tempting

Keyboard on the 2017 feels different AGAIN. Less clacky, more mushy. Definitely makes less noise and you feel less impact on the bottoming out than my 2016. Same amount of travel. Secret third gen keyboard?

keenerz

Keyboard on the 2017 feels different AGAIN. Less clacky, more mushy. Definitely makes less noise and you feel less impact on the bottoming out than my 2016. Same amount of travel. Secret third gen keyboard?

maybe a slight design change? they were having a bunch of issues if i recall when stuff gets under the keys

Fahro

I think I'll upgrade from my first gen iPad Air. I'm not sure though, if I should get the 10.5 or 12.9 Pro. I use the iPad pretty much every day, but just at home.

To bad they didn't shrink the bezels on the 12.9 model. How is the app scaling on the 12.9 version?

Because bothe iPads finally have 4 gigs of ram, the 10.5 should have more headroom because of the smaller resolution of the screen.

Bit the bigger screen should be able to display better resolutions displaying video. What is the max video resolution that both iPads can display natively?

Can we soon watch content on amazon and Netflix in HDR?

Which iPad would you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance!

Thezez

Banned
Ordered myself the base model 15" MBP with the radeon 560. Should be a nice upgrade from my failing mid 2012 retina.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Please help me!

I am torn between getting a Macbook Pro 13 inch vs 15 inch.

It is going to be hooked up to an eGPU enclosure with a Titan Xp.

Should I go with the 15 inch version as it has an i7 processor or is a 13 inch good enough with an i5? Going to use bootcamp Win together with the OS X. Also I will use Vive with this system.

I just can't decide. If you can, please link me to a version you think would be best.

Also, the workshop talks are quite nice.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc2017/

Please help me!

I am torn between getting a Macbook Pro 13 inch vs 15 inch.

It is going to be hooked up to an eGPU enclosure with a 1080 Ti.

Should I go with the 15 inch version as it has an i7 processor or is a 13 inch good enough with an i5? Going to use bootcamp Win together with the OS X. Also I will use Vive with this system.

I just can't decide. If you can, please link me to a version you think would be best.

Also, the workshop talks are quite nice.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc2017/

If you’re gaming even in Bootcamp you’d see a significant increase in power by getting a 15” with the quad core processors. If money and portability aren’t an issue get that one

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
If you’re gaming even in Bootcamp you’d see a significant increase in power by getting a 15” with the quad core processors. If money and portability aren’t an issue get that one

Ok, it'll cost a bit more but I'll get the 15" version then. I do game on the Bootcamp side more definitely.

The product box on the Titan Xp says the power requirements are 600W but the eGPUs state about 450-500W. I think the power difference is different because it is used only to power the GPU and not the rest of the PC in a desktop solution. I sent email to Akitio Node just to be absolutely sure that this works. Don't want to buy the wrong solution for nothing.

Deku Tree

Will the "Files" app sync with google drive?
Will it allow me to download entire google drive folders for offline viewing and saving?

One of the main reasons I didn't want to switch to iPad Pro from MacBook Pro for work is that it is very annoying to keep files for offline viewing in google drive on iOS. You have to select it one file at a time.

CraigMcD

Will the "Files" app sync with google drive?
Will it allow me to download entire google drive folders for offline viewing and saving?

One of the main reasons I didn't want to switch to iPad Pro from MacBook Pro for work is that it is very annoying to keep files for offline viewing in google drive on iOS. You have to select it one file at a time.

Doesn't look like it so far. Can only seem to download individual files from iCloud.

My Creative Cloud and OneDrive don't show up. I assume that developers will have to add support for the Files app in, and those updates probably won't be out until the official iOS 11 release.

Deku Tree

Can only download files one at a time?

RIP iPad "Pro" lol

You know sometimes people who work travel and can't rely on having internet 100% of the time when they want to work.

and those people may not want to set up their phone as a hot spot just to get some work done.

outsidah

I think I'll upgrade from my first gen iPad Air. I'm not sure though, if I should get the 10.5 or 12.9 Pro. I use the iPad pretty much every day, but just at home.

To bad they didn't shrink the bezels on the 12.9 model. How is the app scaling on the 12.9 version?

Because bothe iPads finally have 4 gigs of ram, the 10.5 should have more headroom because of the smaller resolution of the screen.

Bit the bigger screen should be able to display better resolutions displaying video. What is the max video resolution that both iPads can display natively?

Thanks in advance!

I have an Air 2 and am going with the 10.5. The 12.9 is really much larger to use and nowhere near as comfy to me to use as a media consumption device which is still the main use for mine.

The 12.9 is a better choice if you are going to try to be productive with it and use it as some sort of laptop replacement. My 2 cents! Hope it helps.

Fahro

I have an Air 2 and am going with the 10.5. The 12.9 is really much larger to use and nowhere near as comfy to me to use as a media consumption device which is still the main use for mine.

The 12.9 is a better choice if you are going to try to be productive with it and use it as some sort of laptop replacement. My 2 cents! Hope it helps.

Thanks, my current iPad is pretty much just a consumption device. I guess I'll go to an apple store to check the new size out. The 12.9 one is kind of amazing because of the giant screen, but is also rather heavy compared to my current iPad air.

Either way, it shoud be a nice upgrade :)

Thanks in advance!

As someone who is going from the 12 to the 10, I recommend the smaller one. Unless you think you really need the giant screen, I think the portability of the smaller model is way worth it. For me, it's like a notebook because I use it mostly for productivity and the 12 was way big for that.

Top Bottom