• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

emag

Or people may want to use iPads to work on planes now that laptops are being banned on flights involving USA.

Anything larger than a cell phone is being banned. I'm not certain what the exact cut-off is, but e-readers and the iPad Mini are not allowed, so there's no way either iPad Pro will be okay.

LordOfChaos

I'm upgrading to this model from a 2010 Air. should be good!

Ultra low power Core 2 Duo to that is going to be staggering :)

I have the 2015 Macbook. Is Kaby Lake enough of an upgrade?

Depending on what your enough is. The Skylake one wasn't a huge boost, this new one claims 20% faster CPU and a 50% faster SSD, so it adds up to a fair boost over yours. But imo still not enough to move unless it's also upwards on the processor tiers, i.e you had a 2015 M3 and are moving to the 2017 i7(lolIntelitsstillcoreM).

250? That's not bad at all... tempting

They are selling for about $250 in fair condition which is what I'd list mine as to be safe. The screen and most of the rest of my iPad is fine, but I have this small discolored smudge on the left bezel that just appeared one day. I can't get rid of it, it almost looks like it's under the laminate somehow. Figure I lost it for $250 or a bit more with the Smart Cover and a sleeve and it would sell pretty quickly.

I have a 9.7 pro (32 gb and running out of space) and thinking about the 10.5 for the extra storage, am I an idiot lol? How much can I get for the pro?

dkeane

Is there a iOS11 thread? Couldn't find one.

Wondering how to add dropbox, box etc to the files app. Or is that not turned on yet?

Aiii

So not worth it
So I found a little drawback to that great new compression they are using for photos...
img_0839wqpii.png

img_0840shurp.png
Heh.

So I found a little drawback to that great new compression they are using for photos...

Heh.

I had heard I think on the ATP live podcast that it is supposed to convert back to .jpeg when trying to share to send to any source that doesn't support the new format.

jstripes

Banned
I had heard I think on the ATP live podcast that it is supposed to convert back to .jpeg when trying to share to send to any source that doesn't support the new format.

Yup, and it's all still in beta. By release some of the larger services may support HEIF, because iPhone users are so snap-happy.

Mindwipe

Heh.

Given many platforms will definitely never, ever implement HEIF I think this is going to be a total clusterfuck tbh. Contgrats Apple, you broke the ubiquity of JPEG. Hopefully most hosts will start to re-encode images to JPEGs/permit HEIF uploads in short order.

giga

They just need to implement jpeg transcode to safari like photos and messages does.

Given many platforms will definitely never, ever implement HEIF I think this is going to be a total clusterfuck tbh. Contgrats Apple, you broke the ubiquity of JPEG. Hopefully most hosts will start to re-encode images to JPEGs/permit HEIF uploads in short order.
Sucks for them. For iOS and Mac devices, they'll have the convenience of more storage.

DBlkKUXXcAELDDs.jpg

CraigMcD

There was a WWDC session where Apple acknowledged that they'd need to convert when sharing to the web and apps. It's obviously a bug.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's supposed to. I'm guessing that's a bug. Aiii should report it and we'll keep our fingers crossed.

I am guessing the apps have to be updated for the conversion. either to upload photos from the new Photos API, or to call the file from an updated file API. Not surprised that things don't work now.

exactly. I mean AAC support never came, and now this! /rolleyes

Really no question for HEIF support, especially since it's just an extension of HEVC which is already seeing a ton of support. As happens often, Apple is just probably around 2-3 years ahead of mainstream usage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Try airplaying YouTube and then opening Spotify on your iPhone. Or Airplay some music while giving your kid your phone to watch something on Netflix.

worth getting a refurb 9.7 pro for €230 less than the 10.5? have an air 2 to sell and take another €240 off the price which is grand, but I'm not sure if I should just go all out 10.5.

I have an air 2 but i want that pencil goodness

The cpu and gpu bumps may. It be that noticeable and IMO the 2GB ram will keep the OG pro 9.7" supported for a long time. Obviously the new one is 'better' but only you can answer if it's 230 Euro better

I am guessing the apps have to be updated for the conversion. either to upload photos from the new Photos API, or to call the file from an updated file API. Not surprised that things don't work now.

exactly. I mean AAC support never came, and now this! /rolleyes

Really no question for HEIF support, especially since it's just an extension of HEVC which is already seeing a ton of support. As happens often, Apple is just probably around 2-3 years ahead of mainstream usage.

Hopefully it's supported where you want it to be.

And I'm one of the few who has a music collection in FLAC for lossless but AAC for compressed. I just like he consistency with the music I buy from iTunes and the stuff I'll import

jstripes

Banned

JPEG is an extremely old and crusty format, and any effort to move away from it is welcome to me.

Imagine if we were still using MPEG2 instead of H.264?

And what about H.265? The new hotness that is still unsupported by most devices and services?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Depending on what your enough is. The Skylake one wasn't a huge boost, this new one claims 20% faster CPU and a 50% faster SSD, so it adds up to a fair boost over yours. But imo still not enough to move unless it's also upwards on the processor tiers, i.e you had a 2015 M3 and are moving to the 2017 i7(lolIntelitsstillcoreM).
*edit* sorry, I misread the original post, so my whole reply below is about the previous MacBook Pro, vs. the new MacBook Pro - not the MacBook that was in question.

Keep in mind that CPU bench shows 20% improvement in speed but that's in part because they apparently benched 2.9GHz CPU vs the old 2.7GHz. I think previously 2.7 was the base model, while the new base model is 2.8, not 2.9, so I think the improvement in the same price bracket is probably more like 10%?

Also, I don't see any such SSD speed improvements? The old one had 3.1GB/s max read speed / 2.1GB/s write speed. The new one is 3.2 / 2.2.

As for GPU, we were thinking that 560 would have 10-15% improvement vs the older 460, but the improvement is practically next to noting now that AMD revealed the specs. The 460 was 1.86TF, the 560 is 1.9TF. A total of 2% improvement.

Heh.

That's definitely a bug. They mentioned at WWDC that they will only use the new formats internally and always convert to JPG/h264 whenever you send the files in a message/email/etc.

That's definitely a bug. They mentioned at WWDC that they will only use the new formats internally and always convert to JPG/h264 whenever you send the files in a message/email/etc.

Yeah, I suspect it's just not fully squared away for Safari upload yet (because that's a more complex problem *if* you want to use the native format sometimes and the most compatible format other times within the same app).

Not 100% certain there *are* any cases in which you'd want the non-JPEG option for Safari upload, though, so let's hope they take the easy way out and snip this little problem out in beta 2.

LordOfChaos

Keep in mind that CPU shows 20% improvement in speed but that's in part because they apparently benched 2.9GHz CPU vs the old 2.7GHz. I think previously 2.7 was the base model, while the new base model is 2.8, not 2.9, so I think the improvement in the same price bracket is probably more like 10%?

Also, I don't see any such SSD speed improvements? The old one had 3.1GB/s max read speed / 2.1GB/s write speed. The new one is 3.2 / 2.2.

As for GPU, we were thinking that 560 would have 10-15% improvement vs the older 460, but the improvement is practically next to noting now that AMD revealed the specs. The 460 was 1.86TF, the 560 is 1.9TF. A total of 2% improvement.

OP was talking about the Macbook No-suffix, you're talking about the Pro.
Its SSD was never at the 3GB/s mark, iirc the 2015 was around 700, the 2016 was near 1000.

Overall had much more room to grow than the Pros, but waiting on benchmarks to confirm.

Regarding the new iMacs - especially with APFS anything involving spinning platters is going to absolutely hamper the kind of performance your computer is capable of. I wonder when Apple's gonna take the iMac to SSD only (seriously, anything you're doing past 512GB is probably fine on external storage unless it's a Boot Camp gaming machine, in which case external storage is *still* going to be just as good as a Fusion Drive *and* also what are you doing spending apple money for a windows gaming box).

Audette

I gamed the system.
I used the developer profile to beta my iPad, added the double tap right AirPod to skip song and then. Restored my iPad back to iOS 10 and the settings have stayed on my AirPods with my iPhone and iPad both on iOS 10.
I'm glad I don't have to wait for the official release for this feature. It should have been included at launch.

LordOfChaos

Regarding the new iMacs - especially with APFS anything involving spinning platters is going to absolutely hamper the kind of performance your computer is capable of. I wonder when Apple's gonna take the iMac to SSD only (seriously, anything you're doing past 512GB is probably fine on external storage unless it's a Boot Camp gaming machine, in which case external storage is *still* going to be just as good as a Fusion Drive *and* also what are you doing spending apple money for a windows gaming box).

And it looks like the 1TB fusion drive with only 32GB cache is the only FD option on the 21. And even the 4K base 21 starts with a standard hard drive, not just the 1080p one, not even fusion drive.

Stupid. 2017 macOS is abysmal on a spinning hard drive, a Core 2 Duo with an SSD feels better on general tasks than an i7 on a HDD.

And it looks like the 1TB fusion drive with only 32GB cache is the only FD option on the 21. And even the 4K base 21 starts with a standard hard drive, not just the 1080p one, not even fusion drive.

Stupid. 2017 macOS is abysmal on a spinning hard drive, a Core 2 Duo with an SSD feels better on general tasks than an i7 on a HDD.

Absolutely, yeah - and with every improvement in SSD technology, the Fusion Drive concept (perfectly good when it launched) falls further behind.

I'm glad that Apple works to put the latest and greatest and fastest SSDs in their products instead of opting for cheaper ones for higher capacity - I think it's a good decision overall - but I wish they'd do something like putting together a Fusion Drive that's one part ultra-fast SSD and then like 1TB of cheaper, slower SSD if they feel that they can't compromise on base/default storage in the iMac. Or even just (gasp) multiple internal storage bays.

I made the foolish mistake of installing iOS 11on my phone with a Vodafone sim. There’s some weird bug where it locks up at the Apple logo rather than loads the springboard and I can’t do anything. Looking online it seems to be a weird Vodafone sim exclusive issue.

I’m away from home like an idiot so I can’t restore to 10.3 and I don’t even have a pin to remove the sim so I’m stuck with a phone I can’t use until Saturday. Derp.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
What is the default setting? Because that's what 95% of people will have on

default setting in the first dev beta is kind of pointless.

What's going on here exactly? Is that to make a folder?

for selecting to change screens or put in a folder, though more importantly it is showing the multi-select for drag and drop is extended even to the app selection on the home screen.

DasRaven

Ordered a nearly maxed 27" iMac to replace my 2012 Mini & 1440P monitor.
AAPL, you done good and just in the nick of time. I was looking lustily at the Corsair One.

Fahro

Thanks for the input. A apple store nearbye didnt have the new 10.5 model on display. I think I'll wait till next week so I can compare them directly do decide which size is the best

Top Bottom