• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC15 Thread of iOS 9, Mac OS X 10.11 & watchOS: The epicenter of change.

mf.luder

I just saw my first Apple Watch in public, the black sport one (the one I want). It pushed me over the edge and I ordered it. I was trying to hold off but with a mini live demo and Watch OS 2 coming I couldn't resist.

pronk420

for people using El Captain beta, I was wondering if its possible to have two windows from the same application in the split screen multitasking thing? Like could you have two terminal windows, one in each half of the screen?

Also is there a keyboard shortcut to switch keyboard focus between the two apps in the split screen mode? If there is that would be amazing and replace my final dependence on X11 to have a tiling window manager.

I just saw my first Apple Watch in public, the black sport one (the one I want). It pushed me over the edge and I ordered it. I was trying to hold off but with a mini live demo and Watch OS 2 coming I couldn't resist.

the fact that I've only seen one in public puts me off, I don't want to get the reaction from people of being that guy who has the watch. what about wOS2 makes you want one?

hirokazu

Meanwhile advertisers are probably thinking of ways to force us into ads that'd work around ad blocking. Like forcing you to use whatever site's app where there's no blocking.

I think it's gonna be a cat and mouse game with some advertisers, but they should be on the losing end from here on. :)

Those load time improvements are amazing. Should save a good amount of data in the long run too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
for people using El Captain beta, I was wondering if its possible to have two windows from the same application in the split screen multitasking thing? Like could you have two terminal windows, one in each half of the screen?
That's a good question. I can't see why not though. iOS works differently since apps are self contained and don't have multiple instances of themselves so you'll never have two Safari windows for instance. But OS X lets apps have as many fullscreen windows as they want so I can't see a reason why they'd forcibly prevent it. Maybe someone who has it right now can confirm. I can't wait for the Public Beta.

I just wish the OS could remember what apps had what fullscreen windows where and return it all to where it was upon reboot. Also, I don't get why some apps remember when they were fullscreen and some don't. Both first and third party. It's annoying.

Meanwhile advertisers are probably thinking of ways to force us into ads that'd work around ad blocking. Like forcing you to use whatever site's app where there's no blocking.
There's only one ad I want to be able to block. Only one.

The one that says "Download our app!". The official one Apple provides for website creators that links to the App Store. Since I can't turn it off, let me block it. I never ever want to see that ad again. The only time I ever want an app ad to show up is when I already have the app and it lets me open the current page right in the ad. (For when I'm in another app that has a browser mode and I want to switch to the app at that position.)

Also is there a keyboard shortcut to switch keyboard focus between the two apps in the split screen mode? If there is that would be amazing and replace my final dependence on X11 to have a tiling window manager.

Yep, you can do this. Switching between the two windows is done with CMD L/R arrows.

A setup like that becomes it's own "space" too which is terrific. CTRL L/R arrows obviously switches between spaces.

EDIT: I'm partially taking this back. CMD L/R arrow works perfectly between two terminal windows, but I'm having a hard time finding other programs for which it also works. I'll chalk that up to beta.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone created a prototype ad blocker and tested it on iMore. Loading time dropped from 11 seconds to 2 seconds. Tsk tsk.

http://murphyapps.co/blog/2015/6/24/an-hour-with-safari-content-blocker-in-ios-9

It surprises me that individuals considering the ethical side of this issue (as the author does here at the end) never address the parallel with always-on pop up blockers in web browsers. Are there anyone out there that voluntarily disable pop up blockers in service of enabling the sites they visit to choose to serve them pop ups? I would think not.

So then we all already adopt a policy of drawing a line at a particular level of nuisance. It seems to me that always visible mobile scrolling ads and App Store redirects are plainly more annoying than pop ups and pop unders ever were. With battery life and data limits considered, generally more so.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

If the fear is wanting to block the worst offenders but still give sites a fighting chance, that sounds reasonable, which is why AdBlock Plus has an "opt in to unobtrusive ads" button. I suspect there will be content blockers on mobile that block more and ones that block less as well. *shrugs*

It's clearly an issue we have to solve, but it doesn't strike me that advertisers have made any real steps to solve it, and certainly content sites haven't since increasingly they abdicate the responsibility to their ad providers. It doesn't surprise me that the remaining group affected by the issue-users-took the lead.

mf.luder

the fact that I've only seen one in public puts me off, I don't want to get the reaction from people of being that guy who has the watch. what about wOS2 makes you want one?

that you can reply to emails now, before you weren't able to. the fact that they are opening up the device to developers. I believe before (right now) devs cannot make their own UI but have to follow a template and don't have access to force touch. couple that with the fact that everything right now runs on the phone, as opposed to the watch.

pronk420

Yep, you can do this. Switching between the two windows is done with CMD L/R arrows.

A setup like that becomes it's own "space" too which is terrific. CTRL L/R arrows obviously switches between spaces.

EDIT: I'm partially taking this back. CMD L/R arrow works perfectly between two terminal windows, but I'm having a hard time finding other programs for which it also works. I'll chalk that up to beta.

so long as it works for terminals that would be great for me, I typically have one terminal window open editing code in vim and another to run it in a REPL, so its really handy to have them side by side and switch between them with the keyboard.

japtor

so long as it works for terminals that would be great for me, I typically have one terminal window open editing code in vim and another to run it in a REPL, so its really handy to have them side by side and switch between them with the keyboard.
Maybe cmd-tilde works? It's the in app window cycle option. If nothing else it'd work right now if you just had the two terminal windows open (and no other terminal windows in the current space).

pronk420

Maybe cmd-tilde works? It's the in app window cycle option. If nothing else it'd work right now if you just had the two terminal windows open (and no other terminal windows in the current space).

oh wow i had no idea you could do that, it works, thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just want an option to tile the notifications from the bottom right instead of top right where they're out of the way of most UI elements and I can take my time to respond to them. It's annoying as heck in the top right corner.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I assume, and I think this is how it was last year, the PB will come with DP4 on both OSes. So probably in about 2 weeks. (Though if it came out for DP3 instead, it'd be really nice. I can't wait to play with window snapping.)

kaskade

Hopefully the public betas are out soon. I really want el capitan for those snap features. I'm not as worried about iOS 9 unless we are also able to test out the ad blocking stuff but I'm assuming that won't launch until it's officially out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm still hoping someone at Apple thinks to work PIP into OS X too. It would make me so happy. Even happier than snapping.

If not Apple, hopefully someone makes an app to enable a PIP mode. It wouldn't even be hard to implement UI-wise in OS X. Just make it so when you go in Mission Control, you drag the window to the bottom right or left corner instead of up to the top grid of spaces. And make sure the PIP follows the screen and isn't just attached to one space. (If you want)

Also, make it so I can fullscreen finder windows that DON'T have a toolbar shown so when I do need to snap a Finder window (For maybe dragging a bunch of pictures from a web site to a folder) I don't need to either turn it on for that folder first, take Safari out of fullscreen or do it normally and slowly where I drag from my fullscreen safari to the edge of the screen, wait 2 seconds for it to switch spaces, then drop it on the desktop.

News app is in beta 3 also.

Photos has a selfies and a screenshots album:

CJaSJZSWUAAYsPE.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iPad fans rejoice, folders in beta 3 has 4x4 icons now.
What about the iPhone? At least the 6+ if not also the 6. There's no reason they should be limited to 9 icons on any device.

Though 4x4 looks weird in the icon.

Still, 16 icons per page instead of 9. I want that on my phone.

I also want 5 columns on the iPhone 6+ home screen dangit! Eventually I'll have one and I want to take as much advantage as I can of that large screen.

Also, about time for the screenshots album.

Photos has a selfies and a screenshots album:

iPad fans rejoice, folders in beta 3 has 4x4 icons now.

Megatons.

EDIT: You know, I've always wanted Preview.app to be added to iOS, mostly for PDFs (It makes no sense, and is very clunky, to have to use iBooks to read PDFs). Lately though, I've also though that a hypothetical Preview app is the best place to store Screenshots, as opposed to Photos.app. Same with any pictures I might save from the internet, they have no place in my personal album.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Personally I think that photos sent through Messages should also automatically be put and kept in Photos so you don't have to save them to your phone and end up with two copies.

At least optionally.

It could sort them into folders based on the message thread.

Or alternatively, a "move" option for sent photos that moves them to Photos but keeps them hard linked in the message itself. If the photo is deleted first it would show a "missing photo" icon in Messages.

Looks like some of the Siri Proactive features are making their way in. Plugging in headphones gives me a link to the Music app on the lock screen and this:

BajYGbt.png

MickD

I don't get News. No option to mark all as read. I thought it would work like an RSS feed aggregator or feedly. I scroll down till where it starts generating more content..I'm assuming this is where I left off? Theres no organization with this..

I don't get News. No option to mark all as read. I thought it would work like an RSS feed aggregator or feedly. I scroll down till where it starts generating more content..I'm assuming this is where I left off? Theres no organization with this..

Yeah, I know these are very early impressions I'm spouting here, but so far Apple News seems like something I'll seldom use.

But to be honest, I didn't think this would replace anything like Feedly and/or Reeder. It's a different kind of beast.

japtor

Hopefully the public betas are out soon. I really want el capitan for those snap features. I'm not as worried about iOS 9 unless we are also able to test out the ad blocking stuff but I'm assuming that won't launch until it's officially out.
Well content blocking is (and already was) in, but it's a thing for devs to make Safari extensions with. In theory you'll be able to use it if whatever content blocking dev (I think "Chrismatic" is the uBlock/Purify guy?) has a beta and lets you test it. Otherwise it's just a thing that's there unless you make a blocker on your own.

kaskade

Well content blocking is (and already was) in, but it's a thing for devs to make Safari extensions with. In theory you'll be able to use it if whatever content blocking dev (I think "Chrismatic" is the uBlock/Purify guy?) has a beta and lets you test it. Otherwise it's just a thing that's there unless you make a blocker on your own.

Ok, so we'll pretty much only be able to beta test software until the final release in the fall? Assuming that Purify is released as well.

Looks like the El Capitan public beta should be out today at some point.

I logged into the beta portal for iOS and OS X public betas and there is a link there for me to install the El Capitan public beta already. There is a link to install it and a redemption code for the App Store in case I need that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Looking forward to installing it all tonight.

I wonder if SafariStand will work with it at all. I figured out how to get it working again. (Turns out EasySIMBL was broken. Not Stand itself. So by installing normal SIMBL it works fine now.)

kaskade

I'm downloading the el capitan, not sure if I want to jump on iOS9 yet. I might wait a release or 2 before I do. That or someone makes a guide or something to get a content blocker working.

Top Bottom