• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC15 Thread of iOS 9, Mac OS X 10.11 & watchOS: The epicenter of change.

jts

...hate me...
Alright, iPhone 5 on that beta 2.

San Francisco feels hella different in some circumstances (like Messages/Whatsapp)
I can't adore calculations via spotlight enough
Performance seems to take a hit? Could be still indexing though and it's a beta of course.
The ability to choose what the side switch does didn't make it? Oh no :(

jts

...hate me...
hows battery and app crashes?
Too soon to assess the battery yet but apps so far seem fine. Safari no crashes no hanging, Whatsapp the same, so that's 70% of my iPhone usage right there unaffected. Tried a bunch of other apps and even games, no crashes still.

Promising start, hope I'm not jinxing it.

jts

...hate me...
I don't see the point in keeping the calculator app as a shortcut in the control center. I understand it does other things not possible via spotlight (or does it?) but the point was to get s quick calculation done, which spotlight solves now.

Still completely destroyed for not being able to use the switch as a rotation lock, as I was expecting. The sheer amount of times I had to forcibly stop a video to disable portrait orientation lock via control center :(

I was FINALLY able to move my old iPhone notes to iCloud. Sensational.

Appleman

When I first installed b1 I opted not to upgrade my notes because I wasn't on El Cap yet, but now that I am I upgraded my notes in Capitan but I'm not sure what to do on the iOS side of things

SuperPac

For what it is worth, on beta 2, Overcast no longer downloads any podcast on wifi or cellular.

I had to restore in iTunes and it redownloaded all but one of the podcast episodes I had in my queue. For some reason that one's moving really slooooowly but it'll probably download OK...

Apparently the Watch OS 2 b2 build is back up.

Fliesen

Beta 2 makes icon spacing on the home screen go iffy from time to time on my iPad (Air 1).

also, the iPad's overall still really sluggish. Couldn't imagine putting this beta on my daily driver iPhone.

It takes a good 2-3 swipes to swipe away the lockscreen.

jts

...hate me...
12 hours (including a night of sleep) later I can say that the battery isn't too awesome for me (which is understandable). Down to 40%. Still serviceable, for a beta.

Can check from settings that 27% of it was burned thanks to the Photos app in background so maybe it's just the fresh install still doing stuff. Or a rogue process, who knows.

edit: also, Siri suggestions takes its sweet time to load.

iPhone 5.

Vashetti

Banned
Latest El Capitan beta is really nice. It feels really fast and responsive.

Safari 9.0 is nice too, still the occasional error where the page reloads, but overall much better.

mf.luder

My mail in 10.11 got messed up, couldn't send anything. Was hoping updating yesterday would fix that but it did not. Deleted the account but now can't add it back.

Battery is back to "normal" on iOS. Previously overnight my phone would've drained. Woke up this morning, didn't have it charging and it was at 84%. Thank fuck.

jts

...hate me...
24 hours later I'm shocked with how good iOS 9 beta 2 is. In fact, I turned on battery saving mode, the battery is now just dragging on to drain (5% in 5 hours with mild Safari and Whatsapp usage) and everything works pretty much the same. This is a game changer.

Tempted to try El Capitan now, if only I wasn't so afraid of it breaking Photoshop CS6 and more stuff.

Wreav

Banned
So what's the story on the iOS betas? Originally sounded like you didn't have to have your UID registered to participate this year, but no one knew if that was really the case till b2...so...is that the case?

jts

...hate me...
So what's the story on the iOS betas? Originally sounded like you didn't have to have your UID registered to participate this year, but no one knew if that was really the case till b2...so...is that the case?
Alt+update works. Has to be update necessarily, not restore btw. It has worked for me in previous years as well, although I remember one time my iPad mini crashing and requiring activation. Don't remember if I just downgraded then or got my UDID registered. Anyway, YMMV and it's at your own risk.

LordOfChaos

Not really the thread for it, but is there a huge difference between a maxed out Retina Macbook Pro 15" from mid-2012, to the latest/greatest 15" Pro models?

2.6Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, Geforce GT 650M 1024MB

The one with the upgraded GPU would be a bit better on that front, not world changing. The base Iris Pro 5200 is worse than your 650M, or at best trades blows (I have the 5200). The CPU performance has not changed much, Haswell is mostly good for idle battery life. The SSD is substantially faster now, but not to noticable in daily use.

If you're thinking of an upgrade, wait till Skylake,yours provides nearly the same experience as my new one.

I had to restore in iTunes and it redownloaded all but one of the podcast episodes I had in my queue. For some reason that one's moving really slooooowly but it'll probably download OK...

Apparently the Watch OS 2 b2 build is back up.

I think I'll do a clean install of the phone and see what happens then. As of last night, I get podcasts added but nothing downloads.

Actually, do you guys think it would be ok to do a new install and restore from backup, or should I just set it up as a new phone and go from there? I can't think of anything in apps that I would hate to lose that isn't being sycned OTA to iCloud or some other service. All it would do is make the time I set up my phone 2 to 3 times as long.

Majine

Banned
I bought a 64 GB iPhone last year because I wanted to have enough storage, but by the time iOS 9 rolls around, I'll have more free space than ever thanks to app thinning and the fact that Apple Music uploads all local music into the cloud. Funny how that turned out.

jts

...hate me...
I bought a 64 GB iPhone last year because I wanted to have enough storage, but by the time iOS 9 rolls around, I'll have more free space than ever thanks to app thinning and the fact that Apple Music uploads all local music into the cloud. Funny how that turned out.

To be fair, iTunes Match has been doing that for years now. That's when music stopped being a concern for me. Recently the same happened with photos.

To be fair, iTunes Match has been doing that for years now. That's when music stopped being a concern for me. Recently the same happened with photos.

I love it. I have all my photos and all my music on my device, but music takes up no space and thousands of photos barely take up anything

Downloading the iOS 9 file from Apple, and it has been stuck around 1.04GB for the last half hour. This is why I do OTA updates and not full installs of betas because this takes forever!

And now Overcast is downloading podcasts again! Oh, betas... :p

Oh, and beta idea (that I submitted as feedback to Apple): I wish there was a way to have certain apps open in slide over when notifications are tapped. For example, I just got a text message, and I wish it just popped up in slide over so I could quick respond instead of tapping the banner and opening the Messages app or sliding over by myself.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to separate this thought from my previous comment.

I'm on iOS 9 on a 5S, and the vibration of the phone feels... deeper? I noticed this in beta 1, but I'm just curious as if I'm imagining this or they've changed the way the phone vibrates with alerts.

yeah, when apple music turns up i will have no idea what to put on my phone...

That's why I'm hoping that drop the 16GB bullshit with the iPhone 6S. My choices were between the 16GB and the 64GB, and while most of my stuff is now in the cloud I still wouldn't feel comfortable with 16GB. 32GB taking up the 16GB price point would be a great improvement

So of course it won't happen until like 2020

That's why I'm hoping that drop the 16GB bullshit with the iPhone 6S. My choices were between the 16GB and the 64GB, and while most of my stuff is now in the cloud I still wouldn't feel comfortable with 16GB. 32GB taking up the 16GB price point would be a great improvement

So of course it won't happen until like 2020

if anything, with photos and icloud and apple music and tim cooke books or whatever, they have less of a need to drop the 16gb now more than ever.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't want to store all my stuff in the cloud. I need it on my physical device. I don't have unlimited data. I want my music with me. Photos I'll allow. And I want to be able to put my apps on here. My next device will be over 16GB whether they bump the storage or not.

16GB is just stupid. But 64GB would let me put all my music and every app and keep all my photos synced completely so if I have to, I have to.

Futurematic

I'm on iOS 9 on a 5S, and the vibration of the phone feels... deeper? I noticed this in beta 1, but I'm just curious as if I'm imagining this or they've changed the way the phone vibrates with alerts.
Not running the beta so I can't check, but Force Touch is the major rumoured feature for the 6S so it is quite possible that Apple is adjusting vibration settings for the future use of that, and those changes apply to other models.

FerranMG

16GB is just stupid.

I got a 16 GB 5S a year and a half ago. Back then, I recommended everyone who asked to get the 16 GB (unless they had a lot of music or pictures). It was enough to store plenty of apps.
During the last year, though, apps have been taking more and more space. I'd say nowadays the average app takes 150 MB - 200 MB after being installed. I find myself battling week after week to keep more than 500 MB of free space in my iPhone. It's painful, and I feel everyone is at fault:
- Apple for keeping the 16 GB for so long, and for making universal binaries ship with all the assets.
- Developers for increasing app sizes with no control.
- The F2P with incentivized ads model, that cache videos on the device making apps balloon in size.

The App Thining stuff comes one year too late for me. It will be welcome for sure, but I'll have to shell an extra 100€ to get the first storage upgrade for the next iPhone, and I'll feel bad about it.

jts

...hate me...
So El Capitan beta 1 was nice but 2 is almost unusable for me.

Lots of beachballs, CPU usage up the wazoo, fans firing up, broke Bartender, and... that's about enough.

I have my Mavericks backup at the ready, but I think I messed up by upgrading Notes. Pretty sure Apple built that one-way only :(

edit: downgrading to Mavericks anyway. Can do without having Notes syncing for a couple of months.

cjp

So El Capitan beta 1 was nice but 2 is almost unusable for me.

Lots of beachballs, CPU usage up the wazoo, fans firing up, broke Bartender, and... that's about enough.

I have my Mavericks backup at the ready, but I think I messed up by upgrading Notes. Pretty sure Apple built that one-way only :(

edit: downgrading to Mavericks anyway. Can do without having Notes syncing for a couple of months.

Did you skip Yosemite?

New El Capitan beta reveals 4K 21.5-inch iMac, Multi-Touch Bluetooth Remote (for Apple TV?)

Macs aside, a new file inside of El Capitan seems to confirm that Apple has been working on a new Bluetooth Remote Control. According to our scan of the file’s contents, this new piece of hardware integrates a dedicated Bluetooth wireless chip, can connect with devices via an infrared sensor, and includes a Multi-Touch trackpad with inertial scrolling support. There is also a reference to what could be Force Touch support, but we are less certain about that. The device also appears to support audio, which could indicate either playback or input for Siri. This file does not exist in earlier, public versions of OS X, nor the OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite release that is also in beta.

A Bluetooth Remote control that also supports infrared and Multi-Touch would be a brand new product for Apple, and its appearance inside of this fall’s OS X release leads us to believe that it could be related to the upcoming Apple TV revamp. However, our analysis of the files does not turn up any direct Apple TV references. We first reported earlier this year that a new Apple TV set-top-box would include a redesigned hardware remote with additional functionality and new hardware buttons, and it seems possible that the remote referenced in El Capitan is this controller.

Top Bottom