• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC15 Thread of iOS 9, Mac OS X 10.11 & watchOS: The epicenter of change.

Ambitious

iOS 9 supports file upload using iCloud Drive and third-party apps:

sgqPUgI.png

ADrglcV.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Space
The thing that would help the 16 gig problem the most would be better space management for Messages.

RE: Purify
I'd pay $10 or so for that. Mobile advertising is exponentially worse than desktop advertising was during the X10 Spy-Cam era that resulted in browsers adopting across the board popup blockers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In theory that's a good idea but there are some pictures in my messages that I don't want showing up in my camera roll.
I didn't say camera roll. I save them to the roll then immediately upload them to Dropbox. Then I later do whatever I need to with them. Or I just save them to the roll and move them out of Photos when I get home. Either way if it's important I keep it anywhere but the messages.

japtor

RE: Space
The thing that would help the 16 gig problem the most would be better space management for Messages.
Well they added the delete old messages setting (after 30 days, 1 year...could stand to have more granular settings), and the details view makes it easier to delete/save images selectively...course that could stand to use a multi select. Some type of archive/export would be nice of course.
Why wouldn't they allow this? That is the whole point of content blockers. Google must not be happy about it though.
Yeah the new feature is content blocking, not some other feature being used by a tricky dev for blocking, this is exactly what it's meant for. And it's only for Safari (and perhaps the new web view thing for other apps), it doesn't affect iAds and other in app advertising.

If anyone wants an example of PiP in iOS 9, in a background tab, I have The Daily Show Month of Zen stream playing, and when you hit PiP for it, you can open a new tab, which is what I have open that is allowing me to compose this post. So, you can have video from different tabs PiP play in other tabs. Kind of neat!

Zaph

If anyone wants an example of PiP in iOS 9, in a background tab, I have The Daily Show Month of Zen stream playing, and when you hit PiP for it, you can open a new tab, which is what I have open that is allowing me to compose this post. So, you can have video from different tabs PiP play in other tabs. Kind of neat!

Is the PiP video reactive in any way? For example, does the video lower in opacity if you're scrolling on the current window?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well they added the delete old messages setting (after 30 days, 1 year...could stand to have more granular settings), and the details view makes it easier to delete/save images selectively...course that could stand to use a multi select. Some type of archive/export would be nice of course.

Well, here's an example:
- I want to keep every text message my wife has sent me
- I want to selectively keep images and videos she's sent me. If it's a video of a dog or a picture from the grocery store or something dumb I want to delete it
- When I delete something from my attachments, I want that to synchronize across my devices. I shouldn't need to also delete the attachments on my computer, for example.
- I want to be able to sort attachments by size for any conversation to make it easier to clear the worst cruft
- I want to be able to export everything, naturally.
- I don't really care about images or videos anyone else has sent me. I don't really care about any text they sent me older than, say, 2 weeks, but it'd be nice to keep the last, say, 5-10 messages exchanged beyond that period just for context (and sometimes to remember who the person in question actually is)

This kind of stuff feels like it would be pretty standard functionality in any third party messaging program, because when you make a messaging program it's important for it to not suck at messaging.

Is the PiP video reactive in any way? For example, does the video lower in opacity if you're scrolling on the current window?

No. It's completely opaque. You can slide it into any corner, and you can choose between two sizes for it by pinching (roughly 1/3 or 2/3 of screen size).

Fuchsdh

This is amazing. I love how the sites showed just how shitty mobile ads are with the big popup and then those banner ones getting stuck in the middle of the page. This might be the best feature of iOS9 for me. Good on Apple for allowing this to finally be allowed.

Biggest thing for me will be squelching the App Store redirects that plague a lot of the webcomics I visit.

Anyone use Parallels with El Capitan? It can't find my boot camp partition anymore, and I can't install a new virtual machine using my boot camp partition anymore (but I can still boot into boot camp just fine).

Also, can anyone with a fusion drive post an image of disk utility showing their drives/layout? Mine looks like a mess, and I don't know if my drive is failing (I've had nothing but problems with fusion drive and wish I never did it back when it was brand new).

japtor

Biggest thing for me will be squelching the App Store redirects that plague a lot of the webcomics I visit.
The most annoying thing about App Store redirects is that they have an in app sheet functionality that, while still annoying, is meant to make that shit much less annoying (the App Store page pops up kinda like a mail compose sheet). They just haven't bothered using it for their own apps.

Parallels doesn't work because of rootless. Turn off rootless to get Parallels working.

Also, what I want on the phone is handling of the "other" data and the mysterious eating of data. I have barely any apps on my phone, 30 photos, no videos, and no music, and yet I have less than 200 mb of free space left. WHY? WHY WHY WHY? I've had this problem on all iOS devices since 7 or so. I have an iPad 2 with only 3 apps, and they only stream things (no downloads). It has no music, no videos, no photos, nothing. Yet, it always tells me that it is near full storage. URG!!!!

hirokazu

Well, here's an example:
- I want to selectively keep images and videos she's sent me. If it's a video of a dog or a picture from the grocery store or something dumb I want to delete it
- When I delete something from my attachments, I want that to synchronize across my devices. I shouldn't need to also delete the attachments on my computer, for example.
- I want to be able to sort attachments by size for any conversation to make it easier to clear the worst cruft
- I don't really care about images or videos anyone else has sent me. I don't really care about any text they sent me older than, say, 2 weeks, but it'd be nice to keep the last, say, 5-10 messages exchanged beyond that period just for context (and sometimes to remember who the person in question actually is)

This kind of stuff feels like it would be pretty standard functionality in any third party messaging program, because when you make a messaging program it's important for it to not suck at messaging.

Yeah, I just have it to keep everything because there's not enough control. But maybe there's no point in keeping anything older than a couple months because it's a super frustrating and futile trying to search old messages for something specific on both iOS and OS X anyway.

Well, here's an example:

It should be, but at least in the case of WhatsApp it isn't. Then again, the WhatsApp iOS app is total garbage, so maybe android has some of these features.

hirokazu

Also, can anyone with a fusion drive post an image of disk utility showing their drives/layout? Mine looks like a mess, and I don't know if my drive is failing (I've had nothing but problems with fusion drive and wish I never did it back when it was brand new).

Uh, why wouldn't you just back everything up, reformat both drives as separate partitions and then restore less crucial stuff on the HDD?

(Custom) Fusion drives are a bag of hurt, particularly when things go wrong. If you're not already doing regular backups from it, you're living life on the bleeding edge and I won't pity you if things go wrong.

Uh, why wouldn't you just back everything up, reformat both drives as separate partitions and then restore less crucial stuff on the HDD?

(Custom) Fusion drives are a bag of hurt, particularly when things go wrong. If you're not already doing regular backups from it, you're living life on the bleeding edge and I won't pity you if things go wrong.

Never mind. not worth responding to.

Miker

How's reading big PDFs (500+ pages) with Preview in El Cap? It used to be fine on Mavericks, then became really, really slow in Yosemite.

kaskade

Well, here's an example:

I'm with you on the first one. I'm fine with space but my messaging app is like 2 gb just from my conversation with my gf which I don't want to delete. I'd love to be able to easily just export it and not to have to use some third party software.

giga

The message deletion is a stop gap fix, not a solution. I also hate losing old images and conversations.

My solution: Store images and videos in iCloud after it reaches a certain size or after a number of days. Only load them on demand.

japtor

The message deletion is a stop gap fix, not a solution. I also hate losing old images and conversations.

My solution: Store images and videos in iCloud after it reaches a certain size or after a number of days. Only load them on demand.
That'd probably be the Apple-est way of doing it, and they’re all in the device iCloud backups to begin with, granted in some encrypted format.

Course that leads to the annoying issue of iCloud's free and low end storage tiers being crappy. 5-20GB isn’t much for something like a 64GB phone full of pictures or just using multiple devices and backing everything up.
Just giving you a heads up on not being dumb before you lose all your shit dude. Custom Fusion drives have way too many negatives for very few positives.
And they’re not always fusion drives. There's some weird magic that auto chooses between making a fusion drive vs some more basic core storage spanned volume that works similarly but not entirely the same.

japtor

I for one am looking forward to the Dr. Mario Festival.

Hell that's one of the tamer types of mobile ads. One thing I forgot about is Tapatalk and Onswipe stuff, I'm semi blocking that stuff now with Weblock but it causes issues and/or doesn't get them every time.

japtor

I, for one, welcome the web finding something less crappy than banner ads
Meanwhile advertisers are probably thinking of ways to force us into ads that'd work around ad blocking. Like forcing you to use whatever site's app where there's no blocking.

Sean

Banned
Someone created a prototype ad blocker and tested it on iMore. Loading time dropped from 11 seconds to 2 seconds. Tsk tsk.

http://murphyapps.co/blog/2015/6/24/an-hour-with-safari-content-blocker-in-ios-9

Easily my most anticipated feature of iOS 9.

Mobile web browsing has gotten damn near intolerable lately with all these scumbag ad networks redirecting users to the app store and whatnot. And the annoying ads that take over your entire screen and trick you into clicking on them when you were really trying to just close it. Just the speed increase alone will be huge especially since I mostly load mobile sites off of slower 3G/LTE.

Top Bottom