• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K18 cover revealed

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This was posted on the 2k boards.

https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=GAMES2K&cws=38&rid=2009

It's a job listing for the WWE 2K games. The only reason it has anyone interested is the last line about Unreal Engine experience being strongly preferred.

People are speculating that we could actually be seeing a new engine in a couple of years, possibly longer.

I highly doubt it but this is something... maybe?

If they switch engines that means they get to reset their content, go barebones again and slowly trickle out the same old features everyone is used to over the next 10 years until they change engines again.

If they switch engines that means they get to reset their content, go barebones again and slowly trickle out the same old features everyone is used to over the next 10 years until they change engines again.

I think some people would take it just before a better gameplay base. I know what you're saying though.

Zach

Are they still using the engine from -- looks up the original PS1 Smackdown! game -- 2000?! Please tell me they are. 17 years. Ha!

Brunire

Yeah, but what if it is good this time?! Heh, heh.

Are they still using the engine from -- looks up the original PS1 Smackdown! game -- 2000?! Please tell me they are. 17 years. Ha!

Yup.

I was thinking about making a thread about the oldest engines still being used. The Yukes wrestling engine has to be one of the oldest. I know people like to say "lazy devs" but this team has been on a yearly cycle for almost 17 years building on the foundation of a PS1 engine. That's kind of remarkable.

It's time for a change.

Sephzilla

I remember when they said they were overhauling the entire engine a back around the time of, I think, WWE 12 or WWE 13 and it was just a couple of new animations

Yup.

I was thinking about making a thread about the oldest engines still being used. The Yukes wrestling engine has to be one of the oldest. I know people like to say "lazy devs" but this team has been on a yearly cycle for almost 17 years building on the foundation of a PS1 engine. That's kind of remarkable.

It's time for a change.

I'm not super for the "lazy devs" term but I think Yukes is one of those exceptions where they're indeed a lazy group of developers. Some of the buggy shit that makes it into the release-day versions of these games would have been spotted by simply playing the goddamn game. Not to mention some of the bugs that lasted for multiple versions of the game, like how REPRESENTING THE AGENTS or ACTION being randomly thrown into custom title names.

I remember when they said they were overhauling the entire engine a back around the time of, I think, WWE 12 or WWE 13 and it was just a couple of new animations

They said the same thing for 15. I think they even tried to get away with saying it was a new engine. They finally got rid of all the legacy moves from the original game at some point though. There was that god damn roll that was in the game for years.

Unless the engine switch comes with a developer switch I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yukes did the Day of Reckoning games, which were great. I don't know why they didn't continue with those games as a template when they went multiplatform with one engine for 7th gen.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I haven't played a main WWE game since SvR 2009. Have there been enough improvements in 9 years to make this a solid one to return to the series with?

CookTrain

Yup.

It's time for a change.

Do you have any links to anything about the... progression feels like the wrong word... of hte Smackdown engine? It sounds fascinating.

I haven't played a main WWE game since SvR 2009. Have there been enough improvements in 9 years to make this a solid one to return to the series with?
The games have gotten worse somehow

I was interested in last year's because I figured "lots of good people on the roster, can't be that bad"

Played at a buddy's house......it is complete fucking garbage

Fire Pro World coming soon

Is there any chance this will be better than last year's game? I hated it.
Depends on what made you hate 2K17. imo, it will most likely be better than last year. They have done a lot of revamping, and added modes/options that fans have been asking to be added or returned. There will be a more focused MyCareer this time around, as oppose to last years which felt aimless and was difficult to progress through. We'll also be seeing the addition of fighting styles, which will hopefully compliment the sim approach that 2K has been taking the series.

It's not going to be returning to an arcade style though, if that's what you mean. Matches will still have heavy simulation influences, especially compared to a game like Fire Pro. I haven't seen anything about any kind of gamplay overhaul - but personally, I don't really see that being necessary. Game played fine last year, just lacked content.

Hopefully this comes to the Switch as well. Crossing my fingers
I'll be buying the game on XB1 and Switch, but only one will be CE. I'm thinking that having any extras will be better left for me XB1, which has more space than the Switch. But yeah, hopefully all three platforms get a CE so everyone has a chance!

The only Cover release for a new WWE game that would make me excited would be if it was something along these lines
DCuChmXUQAAo8M9.jpg:large

It'll never happen :(

Now that I think about it...has there ever been a person of color on the cover of any of the WWE games?

Top Bottom