• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to watch the ppv late tonight. I was actually somewhat enjoying this Rumble despite the constant criticism I see for the roster. I've currently made it all the way to 30 somehow believing that it was going to be Joe/Angle/Finn or somebody awesome. My heart fucking dropped when Roman's music hit. This is the fourth Rumble in a row to disappoint me and the third to have that reason be partly because of Roman Reigns. Vince just want me to hate Roman, it's the only explanation. I had even started coming around on him because despite some notable flaws he has improved. Vince has fucking lost his mind. You'd think he'd realize that one of the main reasons people hate Roman is because of his role in the 2015 Rumble. Bringing him out at 30 is just pouring gas on the fire. How do you fuck up a Rumble with this roster?

I don't even want to finish this shit.

Edit: yep, the only hopes I had were Sami and Jericho. Fuck this, I'm out.

MBison

I am still dumbfounded they rolled Reigns out at 30. Wow,

Every educated WWE fan watching or at the arena knew that Taker was the last confirmed entrant so 30 must be a surprise like Balor or Joe or even awesomer.

Nope. Just Roman Reigns.

Wow. I wish the crowd had shit on it even more. This is bullshit chant started but died too fast. Shame cause there were some great matches on the card.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If the plan is really to have Orton vs. Bray at Mania, then why in the world would you not give the rumble win to Bray and have Orton win the belt at EC?

Orton is already a shoe in for hall of fame, he's won the rumble before, he's as big a name as he's going to be. Winning the Rumble did literally nothing for him.

Bray winning on the other hand would have pushed him to main event status easy and given the WWE another big bankable name instantly, he's already over with the crowds and winning the Rumble would have pushed him to that next level.

It's just so baffling. At least it is if Bray vs. Orton is in fact the match and they aren't doing Cena vs. Orton for the gillionth time.

If the plan is really to have Orton vs. Bray at Mania, then why in the world would you not give the rumble win to Bray and have Orton win the belt at EC?

Orton is already a shoe in for hall of fame, he's won the rumble before, he's as big a name as he's going to be. Winning the Rumble did literally nothing for him.

Bray winning on the other hand would have pushed him to main event status easy and given the WWE another big bankable name instantly, he's already over with the crowds and winning the Rumble would have pushed him to that next level.

It's just so baffling. At least it is if Bray vs. Orton is in fact the match and they aren't doing Cena vs. Orton for the gillionth time.

Because they want Orton to win the belt at Mania....

I believe that was the fastest I ever cancelled after re-subbing. I'll check back around Summerslam and see what's up because I don't think I'll be able to stomach Mania this year. I really hope that the dirt sheets are correct and
Cena/Orton isn't actually happening. No matter what Vince believes, no one wants to see that shit. He wanted that feud to be the next Rock/Austin when it turns out that Cena/Styles is the feud to live up to that moniker.
No matter what happens, Randy Orton was an awful choice to win the Rumble. He always been nothing more than a boring Jake the Snake ripoff and should be put in the tag team role like Sheamus is. I would have been happy with almost anyone on the roster winning except for Orton, Sheamus, and Reigns. The odds always seem to be against me when it comes to the WWE.

Lothars

This makes no sense. How did it hurt the rumble?
Made it even more boring, They could have replaced him with a dozen other pics and the rumble would have been better for it. The only good thing is he didn't win but Orton winning is meh as well. It was a good ppv up until the rumble than it shit the bed after.

Agreed. There's no reason Bray shouldn't have won the Rumble.

Everybody likes Cena now. He's earned it after his US title run and his pushes nowadays aren't overbearing to the audience like Roman's is.

That was ages ago.

He went away and then came back and immediately said I'm #1 contentder and AJ Styles is just some whiner guy from Atlanta...

I don't think much of that godwill from the US title run is left....

And that was the midcard belt not the main title...

No one really cares about Cena as WWE Champion.

His recent promo stuff with AJ was pure Super Cena and I'm a huge dick Cena

I can't fucking believe they are still trying to make Roman look strong. My gf was screaming at the tv and threatened to sell our wrestlemania tickets if Roman wins. Also where the hell is Samoa Joe hiding?

Foffy

Banned
I can't fucking believe they are still trying to make Roman look strong. My gf was screaming at the tv and threatened to see our wrestlemania tickets if Roman wins. Also where the hell is Samoa Joe hiding?

Probably as HHH's bodyguard, ready to strike on the main roster when he does?

Just watched it. Event was pretty good but the Rumble match was disappointing.

Just booked badly with a lot of people laying down for long periods. The lack of surprises combined with too many tag teams really killed the pacing.

Roman being number 30 is an obvious talking point but the match wasn't great before that too.

It doesn't feel like any weekly rivalries were properly advanced in the match. Just the part timers and Mania main events.

I had read the rumours on here that Randy would win but I didn't think it would actually happen. I like Orton and if the match had been booked better then I could see myself being happy with that result.

Then I realise that Cena is champ and there's a chance we'll get Orton vs Cena again and I don't want to see it. I like both guys but the fatigue of seeing them fight will never go away.

I get the feeling they're building up a big Orton/Bray feud for after Wrestlemania. They like to build stars up so whoever topples them comes out looking stronger. If Orton is the guy who won this year's Rumble and went on to win the title at Wrestlemania, and Bray Wyatt is the guy who takes him down later on, then Bray looks amazing as a result. Pretty sure that's the thinking behind it.

Or I'm fooling myself and trying to explain why Bray STILL isn't getting the push he deserves. I really do think they're signalling a big push for him with the Orton alliance and breakup with Harper though.

Foffy

Banned
I get the feeling they're building up a big Orton/Bray feud for after Wrestlemania. They like to build stars up so whoever topples them comes out looking stronger. If Orton is the guy who won this year's Rumble and went on to win the title at Wrestlemania, and Bray Wyatt is the guy who takes him down later on, then Bray looks amazing as a result. Pretty sure that's the thinking behind it.

Or I'm fooling myself and trying to explain why Bray STILL isn't getting the push he deserves. I really do think they're signalling a big push for him with the Orton alliance and breakup with Harper though.

This.

How many times have they pushed Bray as a potential huge player, only for him to suffer?

He has Dolph Ziggler's problem in a different way.

There is never been such thing as a big push for Bray. He's a guy they can safely job out whenever because he's a good talker with a great gimmick, more Kane than Undertaker...

This storyline is blatantly about Orton killing the family from within, he's going to reveal as having never been with Bray but only pretending to take him down...

Now if they are smart they still use this to keep Orton heel (because my god Orton might be one of the worst babyfaces ever) by having everyone he attacked and fought while "pretending to be a Wyatt" come back and say yo wtf....

The end story of this though is Orton beats Wyatt almost certainly at Mania, it is why Wyatt will probably win the title at EC possibly with the help of Orton who then turns on him after the match....

Was this the lamest Kofi Rumble spot ever? Nowhere near as clever/funny/impressive as recent ones.

Also, I don't watch Raw, but how long has Rusev been wearing that facemask? Did he break his nose recently? Can we get Dashing Alexander Rusev?

Was this the lamest Kofi Rumble spot ever? Nowhere near as clever/funny/impressive as recent ones.

Also, I don't watch Raw, but how long has Rusev been wearing that facemask? Did he break his nose recently? Can we get Dashing Alexander Rusev?

The face injury happened last Monday so today was the first day he wore it on TV.

Roxas

I am still dumbfounded they rolled Reigns out at 30. Wow,

Every educated WWE fan watching or at the arena knew that Taker was the last confirmed entrant so 30 must be a surprise like Balor or Joe or even awesomer.

Nope. Just Roman Reigns.

Wow. I wish the crowd had shit on it even more. This is bullshit chant started but died too fast. Shame cause there were some great matches on the card.

The more i think about it, the more it makes sense. The way Reigns was acting in there, he was being a total dick heel. Its like they wanted him to get that reaction. They knew he would get booed to shit for being number 30. They knew he would get booed even more for dumping Taker. And they knew that when Orton threw him out at the end, he would get the crazy reaction that he did.

Plus, they totally just set up a Reigns/Taker match at Mania.

Damn AJ makes Cena look good in the ring, can't say many people can do that, Cena as a wrestler is laughable, he's a body builder pretending to be a wrestler..

Rumble was meh, at times it dragged, even the crowd got tired of the shit...

Best moment of the Rumble was Y2J making that business decision as Strowman walked to the ring..

Oldberg vs Taker at Mania can't be a match, i don't want to see that.

So Brock being punished for PED's? he took in UFC, lol..

Damn AJ makes Cena look good in the ring, can't say many people can do that, Cena as a wrestler is laughable, he's a body builder pretending to be a wrestler..

Rumble was meh, at times it dragged, even the crowd got tired of the shit...

Best moment of the Rumble was Y2J making that business decision as Strowman walked to the ring..

Oldberg vs Taker at Mania can't be a match, i don't want to see that.

So Brock being punished for PED's? he took in UFC, lol..

Don't worry it's even better. Taker vs Reigns.

ReiGun

No one cares about Cena either
To take it further:

No one cares about Cena, Charlotte winning on ppv again, Kevin Owens still having his joke of a title, the Cruiserweights, or Orton winning the Rumble.

Hence why we're talking about Roman. Cause this Rumble was boring as hell and Roman getting number 30 is the most interesting thing that happened cause of how baffling/hilarious it is.

joker3782

Neo Member
The more i think about it, the more it makes sense. The way Reigns was acting in there, he was being a total dick heel. Its like they wanted him to get that reaction. They knew he would get booed to shit for being number 30. They knew he would get booed even more for dumping Taker. And they knew that when Orton threw him out at the end, he would get the crazy reaction that he did.

Plus, they totally just set up a Reigns/Taker match at Mania.

This being the seeds for a Roman heel turn is fine. However from now until mania, there's fastlane in between. I doubt they're gonna be building up Roman v Taker the entire time meaning that they have to have something for Roman to do at Fastlane (unless they do nothing which is fine). The only thing I can see Roman doing for Fastlane is facing Braun since they had Braun cost Roman the title. If they do that, then Roman can't be heel for that sincw Braun is the monster heel. Which means that the heelish act of Roman at the rumble is gone since he would go back to being a babyface and likely an underdog for this feud with Braun. Which in turn will cause us to hate the guy even more. Then they will either have to keep him face after fastlane going into the match with Taker, or somehow turn him heel after facing Braun who is a heel. Man their stubborness to get this guy over in the most annoying way is the worst.

Vince and co. are Trump supporters so expect Sami to get buried if anything for his beliefs, if not making him go full blown late-era Muhammad Hassan.

hopefully not. i imagine him and the new day among some others are pretty opposed to the intolerance behind Trump.

but in sami's case he's tweeting about the Muslim ban. would be really gross if McMahon took offense to that. so far they've been doing a good job keeping their politics out of the WWE during the trump administration.

Ban Puncher

Entrant #30

Could it be Finn?
Maybe it's Joe?
Or Nakamura?
W-what if i-it's Angle?!

*BZZZZZZZT*

IT'S...IT'S ROMAN REIGNS.

And then Blandy Boredom won the Royal Rumble.

In 2017.

zOAInCo.jpg

kirblar

Roman at 30 was deliberate to make Orton more palatable.

This is super super super obvious, and it worked, because you're complaining about Reigns getting 30 instead of Orton/Wyatt becoming a title feud for no goddamn reason.

Couldn't stay up for this (in the UK) as I had to be up early today for a work appointment.

Orton eh? As a fairweather WWE viewer, Orton boring everyone to tears while hogging the championship from Daniel Bryan is still a clear memory. The guy doesn't need another run. Fucking hell. Meanwhile, a Bray win could have elevated him given how terribly he was booked over the past few years.

Oh, Cena got his win back too? What a shocker. AJ deserves better.

Yeah, I'll check in again at Mania to see how this all pans out.

but in sami's case he's tweeting about the Muslim ban. would be really gross if McMahon took offense to that. so far they've been doing a good job keeping their politics out of the WWE during the trump administration.

Yeah, apart from the millions (and millions) of dollars the McMahons donated to Trump to get a seat at the table. Another reason I don't subscribe to the network is that I don't want to contribute to that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom