• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
C3ZQgXRWEAAokL1.jpg

lmao, all of the big dudes got drove down to the ring. You might as well just bring back the mini rings at this rate.

I can't even be mad that Cena beat aj, it was bound to happen eventually. AJ had 3 wins over Cena, I can't think of one person that has ever dominated him that bad. I just hope aj stays in the main event scene.

cLOUDo

Maybe Reigns was there to protect Orton
Anyways fuck Roman at least Cena had a great match
But this guy is the same over and over again
Zero evolution in 2 years

Hex

Banned
Can not remember when I have been less interested in WWE especially during a road to Mania.
So with Reigns...they are going to build Reigns v Taker? But what about Strowman? Is that going to be blown right off?
Orton v Cena round.....errr.....33? Orton v AJ would have been 100 times the better match.
The way they totally clowned AJ this past two weeks is just amazing.
The Rumble poster, that promo by Cena on Smackdown, having the champion come to the ring first...then he has to carry Cena to a good if not great match only to be tucked away into something else for mania which will probably be something with Miz and maybe Dean.
Tye was awesome to see, but so many others were just wasted and dumb.
I am probably one of the only ones glad to see Corbin get some rub by taking Strowman out of the ring.
And we know we have Show vs Shaquille O'Niell to look forward to...

Xater

I watched this after being away from WWE since WrestleMania. This whole show was a bummer. The only match I genuinely enjoyed was Cena/AJ. The rest was all just super average. The Rumble itself was total garbage. Where were the surprises and fun moments? All the Braun stuff was just boring as hell. Then he got eliminated and it all was meaningless until the big guys in the end showed up. The fucking Ortin won. If this is the start of the road to Mania they did not convince me to stick with it.

I was there last night

a) Bayley vs. Charlotte, abrupt finish. If everything was the same but this was a men's match Bayley would have won. :/ I suppose they want to do it at Mania, but :/

b) Thank you Strowman. Some (I hope, but probably not) drunk lady behind me was chanting "Roman the Samoan" on and off through the entire match. His fans are, in fact, not all there.

c) Cena vs. AJ was my concession break. It is Cena. I was back before the finish, which was at least two people not selling instead of just the usual Cena. Sorry Tiny Dad, you had a good run.

d) Mojo Rawley, are you serious bro

e) THE CROWD WENT BANANA FOR 10. Holy shit. Even the guy next to me, who didn't react very much for anything the whole show.

f) Roman Reigns is never going to stop being booked as if to answer the question "What if X-Pac was handsome instead of a worker?" I just recommend avoiding his fans, there's no telling what they're capable of if they're willing to make him draw enough to be kept around.

Xater

Who were they going to bring back that would be able to do a decent job?

Shoulda brought Joe though.

They have an entire NXT roster to tap into if they can't think of anyone else. Tye was the best they could do? His appearance also amounted to nothing.

lmao, all of the big dudes got drove down to the ring. You might as well just bring back the mini rings at this rate.

Actually I think it was just Mark Henry, Show, and Stro. And the cart was really fast, it was hilarious when they first used it for Mark, because all I could see was from the handle up. It was like he was taking a Segway through the Hall of Pain.

Jamie OD

Actually I think it was just Mark Henry, Show, and Stro. And the cart was really fast, it was hilarious when they first used it for Mark, because all I could see was from the handle up. It was like he was taking a Segway through the Hall of Pain.

Big E used it as well. That's why his entrance had the awkward moment when it looked like he was running into the cameraman. He was just in the way of the cart.

They don't have a Cena or a Rock etc.. so they have to create it from scratch. Except it doesn't work. Cause those guys have something special to begin with.

They had some of those rare stones in the last 10 years but they treated them like shit and they fired them.

They don't want real charisma cause it's difficult to control.

Exactly. During the Attitude Era people with real charisma could shine because the company was pretty hands off and whatever drove ratings, they went for. Vince was desperate to win.

Nowadays he just doesn't want to lose.

creatchee

They don't have a Cena or a Rock etc.. so they have to create it from scratch. Except it doesn't work. Cause those guys have something special to begin with.

They had some of those rare stones in the last 10 years but they treated them like shit and they fired them.

They don't want real charisma cause it's difficult to control.

Genuinely curious - who are these rare stones from the last 10 years.

Sephzilla

cross posting with wrasslegaf

This Rumble didn't leave me upset like previous Rumbles recently did, but it just left me kind of disappointed. The Rumble has become a giant indicator to how tone deaf Vince is to what his audiences want, or perhaps a giant indicator that he doesn't give a shit. Orton's has a pretty decent run in recent years, but was anyone actually asking for another main event Wrestlemania run from Orton?

This was probably the biggest Royal Rumble crowd ever and yet this Rumble had probably the fewest surprise entrants possible, so the crowd barely got to pop. Tye coming in at #10 was perfect, but what else was there? Samoa Joe? Finn Balor's return? Angle? They were in Texas, couldn't they have talked HBK or Austin into doing a quick spot? This felt like the perfect year to pull the trigger on someone like Sami Zayn, or Bray Wyatt, or The Miz since he's had a fantastic year and all of them could lead to interesting Mania main events, but nope. They hype up Goldberg, Brock, and Undertaker for the Rumble and collectively all three of them are in the match for what, 5 minutes? Also, I'm a huge mark for Undertaker but good lord he looks out of shape and old now. Taker, please hang it up after WrestleMania. Oh, and I don't know what the fuck Vince is doing with Roman right now, assuming he wants to keep Roman as the super babyface, because putting him in a program with Taker is going to give Roman unshakable heat.

I'm honestly shocked that Owens kept his title since Royal Rumble seemed to weed out all of the more recent fan favorites from the WrestleMania picture.

Ithil

The unshakeable vibe of Reigns is "teacher's pet". No one likes a teacher's pet.
And they are not helping by shoving him down everyone's throat in every situation.

Why was he even in the Rumble, in kayfabe? We know why he was in it, out of kayfabe, to set up the Taker match, but he was in the world title match earlier, are we to assume Stephanie left #30 blank during the show and just gave it to him, or something? Even though she's supposedly meant to be anti-Reigns.

Anth0ny

The unshakeable vibe of Reigns is "teacher's pet". No one likes a teacher's pet.
And they are not helping by shoving him down everyone's throat in every situation.

it's really as simple as that

doesn't help that he's not great on the mic and they force him to talk with the most cringeworthy dialogue of all time on a weekly basis, either.

good ringwork can't overcome all of that shit.

Nose Master

I was fine with the ppv, but being in a wrestling theme bar helped. A lot of the matches had really disappointing endings, though.

I don't expect much from the actual rumble, though. Some silly spots and fanservice, with 26 disappointments. The leaks didn't help, either.

What was the point of the Braun interference? Unless they show Jericho paying him off tonight or something, it's too random. Reigns mine as well have been hit by an unmarked Lincoln town car.

Mahonay

Banned

Why was he even in the Rumble, in kayfabe? We know why he was in it, out of kayfabe, to set up the Taker match, but he was in the world title match earlier, are we to assume Stephanie left #30 blank during the show and just gave it to him, or something? Even though she's supposedly meant to be anti-Reigns.
This is a great description of Reigns and what happened last night.

XenoRaven

I was fine with the ppv, but being in a wrestling theme bar helped. A lot of the matches had really disappointing endings, though.

I don't expect much from the actual rumble, though. Some silly spots and fanservice, with 26 disappointments. The leaks didn't help, either.

What was the point of the Braun interference? Unless they show Jericho paying him off tonight or something, it's too random. Reigns mine as well have been hit by an unmarked Lincoln town car.
Reigns speared Strowman and Strowman had been looking for revenge.

Anth0ny

WWE logic: Roman vs Stroman at the next PPV. Stroman wins, but it's ok because Roman is going over Taker at Mania.

It was really disappointing to not have even one surprise entrant in the Rumble.

I get you.. Vincent felt comfortable because he had Brock, Taker, and Goldberg all in the Rumble.. "The most stacked rumble" I believe they said.

Which IMO it was a mistake. The Rumble without surprises sure felt depressing.

Tom Nook

They should make it where the loser of their respective title match is eligible for the rumble. I was upset why just have AJ be in the rumble instead of a jobber like apollo. I like Gallagher but why is he in the rumble? I guess it's for a comedy spot. If he had won it, is he the number contender for the cw title?

Mahonay

Banned
The Rumble is something were I woke up today and I was more upset about it than I was before. Last night I was disappointed, but just kind of "whatever it's fine I guess". Then I got to sleep on it and think more about how fucking ridiculous it is.

At least I got to enjoy AJ vs Cena.

pbayne

AJ vs. Shane McMahon OR Andre the Giant Battle Royale

Jesus that would be depressing

Armchair booking id like triple threat Cena vs Orton vs Styles at Mania. Fuck it swerve everyone and don't have Orton turn on Wyatt. Or at least delay it until after Mania. Styles has a rematch clause anyways and the elimination chamber shouldn't really count as a proper rematch.

If you really need to give Wyatt something to do he can feud with face Luke Harper.
Chances of that all happening:
Zero.

Son Of D

I actually get the feeling that it'll be Strowman and Reigns at Fastlane for the right to face Taker, bringing up that time where Strowman was shown watching Taker on Raw a few weeks back.

Betting it'll be revealed that Foley gave him the #30 spot to get back at Strowman (Foley probably expected Strowman to last until the end). Although why #30 was empty in the first place I have no idea. Unless it's also revealed that Stephanie and Foley left it open for the loser of KO/Reigns.

Sanjuro

I guess Undertaker and Goldberg are considered the throwback wrestlers this year.

There was no surprise element though. I even said guys like Hacksaw or just random legends always feels welcome here. I do get the roster is more stacked than it ever has been, but it still adds something more to the event.

The matches prior to the Rumble were some of the best in a while.

Cena was outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom