• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Summerslam 2016 |OT| The Flo Rida Concert Is Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwimpy

If Banks loses i'm going to be pissed. I like Charlotte (probably more than the average joe), but it's Sasha's time. Her main run hasn't been booked the best and if they stop it now then what the fuck man.
Sasha hasn't been relevant since her match last year against Bayley. It's been an awful run so far.

UberTag

If Banks loses i'm going to be pissed. I like Charlotte (probably more than the average joe), but it's Sasha's time. Her main run hasn't been booked the best and if they stop it now then what the fuck man.
I would be shocked if they pull the title off of her.
Having her lose by count-out or DQ? Yeah, that I can see happening.
It's not like they've built up anyone else on that roster.
Paige is suspended. Bayley hasn't debuted yet on the RAW roster.
Did you want to see Sasha feud with Alicia Fox, Summer Rae or Dana Brooke? Nia Jax sure isn't ready yet.

A dusty finish would make a lot of sense even if it does amount to a lot of wheel spinning for someone who deserves better than that.

Sasha hasn't been relevant since her match last year against Bayley. It's been an awful run so far.
It would be hard to argue otherwise. She's been used terribly and she's had multiple nervous botches in the high-profile matches where she has been featured.

Verendus

Banned
Keep the faith, Verendus. Hope you'll enjoy that Roman vs. Rusev match tonight as much as I will.
Oh, I will.

Two of the handful of talented guys on the roster in a match together. As long as they're given a good amount of time. The card has like a dozen matches.

Syder

Does it all end tonight where it began?

tumblr_ntk7gjTrKK1rdx8ebo1_500.gif

UberTag

Where'd you see that news? Not doubting you, just wondering. Must have missed it.
I remember seeing that news on Wrestlezone shortly after the draft (and the initial announcement of the teams for each show) and that IS the team we got for Battleground after the draft but now you have me doubting myself and I can't see to track down where I read it. Perhaps I inferred from the Battleground team that they would be rolling with that trio going forward and wouldn't be switching off.

Does it all end tonight where it began?

tumblr_ntk7gjTrKK1rdx8ebo1_500.gif
A full calendar year is a mighty impressive run as champs I'd say.

Fun fact... The New Day won the titles when Kofi pinned Epico of the Shining Stars (or Fernando of the Matadores as he was known back then).

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh, I will.

Two of the handful of talented guys on the roster in a match together. As long as they're given a good amount of time. The card has like a dozen matches.

Rusev is so good in ring. Hopefully he loses and moves to a top line feud because holy shit is he ready for that now. Guys great

I remember seeing that news on Wrestlezone shortly after the draft (and the initial announcement of the teams for each show) and that IS the team we got for Battleground after the draft but now you have me doubting myself and I can't see to track down where I read it. Perhaps I inferred from the Battleground team that they would be rolling with that trio going forward and wouldn't be switching off.

The thing about Battleground is that it didn't have brand specific matches. This card only has brand-specific matches outside of Lesnar/Orton. Not saying you are wrong, but one team for Battleground has no implication on tonight IMO.

Not one stipulation match tonight. Not complaining but for one of the big 4 PPV's I thought they'd pull something out.

Also I'm guessing the reason Big-E got "taken out" is to give the implication without him the New Day can't win because he's their muscle. So they drop the belts to the Club.

ReiGun

The Club need this win right now. Much as I love the New Day, winning does nothing for them at this point. They're over as hell with or without the titles, whereas The Club are the top heel team but haven't really impressed.

Also, The Club winning lets them get the titles off the New Day to put them on Enzo and Cass later (cause you know that's where this is going).

As much as I love Sasha, Charlotte winning tonight would be a fine move. It allows their feud to continue while other women (Nia probably) can be built as a challenger to Sasha. If Sasha wins tonight, the feud is essentially over. Where would you go from there? Nia shouldn't get a shot yet.

UberTag

Hey, The Club's start to life in the WWE has left a lot to be desired but don't think that Anderson & Gallows aren't capable of great things if given half a chance.
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the entire Bálor Club come together as one united faction after tonight as Universal and WWE Tag Team Champions.

As much as I love Sasha, Charlotte winning tonight would be a fine move. It allows their feud to continue while other women (Nia probably) can be built as a challenger to Sasha. If Sasha wins tonight, the feud is essentially over. Where would you go from there? Nia shouldn't get a shot yet.
Summer Rae's gonna do a run-in after the match to attack Sasha!

:(

Horseress

I can get behind this. I like Charlotte but PLEASE no more Dana Brooke. She's been pathetic all this time following Charlotte around. Let her be on her on

ReiGun

That's really the problem with Raw's women's division. On paper, it's better than SD's, but in practice it's so reliant on Charlotte and Sasha. No one else looks like a legit contender for the title. Nia is too new (squash matches are fun, but do little to build her as contender for the title), Dana gets beaten up by Sasha and belittled by Charlotte every week, and Summer Rae and Alicia Fox might as well not even exist. So now they're in this position where they either have to start trying to build someone quick, bring in someone new, or have Sasha and Charlotte trade the title back and forth.

That's really the problem with Raw's women's division. On paper, it's better than SD's, but in practice it's so reliant on Charlotte and Sasha. No one else looks like a legit contender for the title. Nia is too new (squash matches are fun, but do little to build her as contender for the title), Dana gets beaten up by Sasha and belittled by Charlotte every week, and Summer Rae and Alicia Fox might as well not even exist. So now they're in this position where they either have to start trying to build someone quick, bring in someone new, or have Sasha and Charlotte trade the title back and forth.

Trading the title isn't inherently bad. If done right it can give the impression that both competitors are evenly matched and can make for heated matches. But the execution of this particular series probably won't be done well enough to support that.

Xion385

Predictions
Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton (I hope I'm wrong.)

WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

WWE US CHAMPIONSHIP
Rusev (c) vs Roman Reigns

John Cena vs. AJ Styles

WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH
The Miz (c) vs. Apollo Crews

WWE Tag Team Champions
The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson

Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. Chris Jericho & Kevin Owens

ReiGun

Trading the title isn't inherently bad. If done right it can give the impression that both competitors are evenly matched and can make for heated matches. But the execution of this particular series probably won't be done well enough to support that.

Totally agreed. It's not the idea I dislike. I just don't trust them to pull it off in a way that's compelling.

Syder

Women (and Tag Teams) should've been able to move freely between RAW and SD but with the ultimate goal of claiming the titles for their shows. Could've had great segments with Shane & D-Bry talking up Becky as the biggest threat to the RAW women and telling her she needs to get that belt and to showcase 'the best of SmackDown'.

I wouldn't have minded a women's tag belt either, gives a reason for audiences to get behind women like Summer Rae, Alicia Fox, Naomi, etc. in the same way that it's revived Kofi Kingston's career.

Women (and Tag Teams) should've been able to move freely between RAW and SD but with the ultimate goal of claiming the titles for their shows. Could've had great segments with Shane & D-Bry talking up Becky as the biggest threat to the RAW women and telling her she needs to get that belt and to showcase 'the best of SmackDown'.

I wouldn't have minded a women's tag belt either, gives a reason for audiences to get behind women like Summer Rae, Alicia Fox, Naomi, etc. in the same way that it's revived Kofi Kingston's career.
Women's roster is weird. Because you have people going "it's not big enough for a second belt!" then other people say that a bunch of them are just left with nothing to do because they aren't in the title scene and that's the only focus most of the time.

UberTag

Women's roster is weird. Because you have people going "it's not big enough for a second belt!" then other people say that a bunch of them are just left with nothing to do because they aren't in the title scene and that's the only focus most of the time.
It wouldn't have to be the only focus if the WWE took the time to actually craft feuds and tell stories again but they've forgotten how to do that.

Tom Nook

How about a women's tag team belts? This would give at least 4 something to do.

Cody_D165

Banned
gonna miss SummerSlam tonight but I'll catch it later on the network

GAF what do you think the odds are of Goldberg actually showing up? My dad would flip shit hahah he's a lapsed wrestling fan but back in the day watching Goldberg lumber around on WCW was our bonding time. Watching Goldberg v Hogan with him was one of my all time favorite childhood memories and I think a Goldberg Lesnar rematch would have him excited lol

If you have inter-brand titles, then how do you determine contenders? What makes a top team or woman on Raw more or less worthy of a shot than someone on SD? You can't do inter-brand matches, so how do you determine that? And if the answer is "they alternate given the brand-specific live specials", then you are basically saying we can't have any tag or women's title feuds longer than a month.

My Predicitons

Predictions
Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton

WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

WWE US CHAMPIONSHIP
Rusev (c) vs Roman Reigns

John Cena
vs. AJ Styles

WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH
The Miz (c) vs. Apollo Crews

WWE Tag Team Champions
The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson

Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. Chris Jericho & Kevin Owens

Toki767

I'd say it would be a mistake to put the title back on Charlotte right now, if only because it gives the impression that the Women's title is meaningless and just gets hotshotted around.

They need long title reigns to put some value behind the championships.

I'd say it would be a mistake to put the title back on Charlotte right now, if only because it gives the impression that the Women's title is meaningless and just gets hotshotted around.

What. The last two title reigns were the longest in the history of that lineage. They have done the exact opposite of hotshotting it in recent history, so doing it now would be fine.

yuraya

Wtf kind of strings did Ziggler pull to get a title shot? He somehow went from most irrelevant on the roster to #1 contender?

Anyways don't know what to expect with this. Rollins vs Balor and Orton vs Lesnar should be good. Everything else is meh.

Also lol @ Reigns. That suspension set him back. Went from "The Guy" to about to get pinned by Rusev.

kirblar

Yeah, this is how it needed to be handled. Have 2 sets of belts (blue and red) that indicate who's got control of it.

The rosters are just too thin to do this right now, and I suspect this may be why they're holding off on announcing separate titles.

ReiGun

Women's Tag Belts were something they should have done a long time ago. Especially when they were throwing the women in random tag matches every week anyway. Can't really do it now that the roster was split, but they should consider it once more of the NXT women start getting called up to both shows.

Yeah I get it. And not really a fan of Charlotte but I guess someone backstage is.

But I think the best long term plan is Banks versus Bayley at WM.

To get there I think they put the belt back on Charlate. Then have Bayley get a titleshot in the next few months (Survivor Series?) and win. Then after a rematch or several you have Sasha beat the heck out of Bayley and set up that match.

Toki767

I would say that the reason Reigns might lose to Rusev tonight is because he's not staying in the US title picture. He'll be back challenging for the Universal title by Survivor Series.

Where he will be a 4 time champion. Within a year.

So you want this one to last 3 weeks?

I don't want it, but that doesn't mean I am violently opposed to it either. Charlotte held that belt for 10 months, so her trading it for a bit with Sasha is not the end of the world nor will it devalue the belt as long as they keep the same match quality they have had together to this point.

If this title had changed hands four times in the past year, I'd say you have a point, but it hasn't. They've let it rest on one person, so they have earned enough stock to burn a bit with a series between two of their best women.

Yeah, this is how it needed to be handled. Have 2 sets of belts (blue and red) that indicate who's got control of it.

The rosters are just too thin to do this right now, and I suspect this may be why they're holding off on announcing separate titles.

I think they are holding off because they want to crown the SD champions on the first SD PPV in three weeks.

ReiGun

I'm in a weird spot with Miz vs Crews. Miz should lose as I don't really think he needs the IC title and isn't doing much to help it get over. That said, I just don't buy Crews as a champion.

Yeah, no more long reigns. In the past two years the women's belt has had only three reigns including the current on and the Diva's one and one is only currently ongoing and hasn't been a month long yet. No more long reigns that last 8+ months, please.

It wouldn't have to be the only focus if the WWE took the time to actually craft feuds and tell stories again but they've forgotten how to do that.
Every time they get the chance, it gets knocked down. Becky vs Emma was set-up alongside Charlotte vs Natalya which could have been great. But then Emma got injured, Dana went to Charlotte and Becky got roped into it. Then Becky vs Natalya literally was composed of like one backstage promo and then basically either of the two attacking one another during their entrance.

Hell even right now the Eva Marie doesn't fight story in on halt for a month unless they still try to sell it by mentioning it like they did with Roman. But at least after tonight the build-up for Smackdown women's belt should begin.

But belts going back fourth defeat the purpose of brand split doest it? :p
Woman's tag tea would cool. I feel like WWE might have too many women with nothing to do.

JTripper

I'm in a weird spot with Miz vs Crews. Miz should lose as I don't really think he needs the IC title and isn't doing much to help it get over. That said, I just don't buy Crews as a champion.

Crews is one of the few recent NXT graduates who still doesn't seem like he should have been moved up. In comparison to someone like Corbin, who at least seems like he could exist on the main roster whether I like him or not.

Syder

Woman's tag tea would cool. I feel like WWE might have too many women with nothing to do.
Too many women with nothing to do and yet not enough to have a main event scene on both brands. Maybe burying genuine talents like Naomi over the years was a mistake?

Podge293

Potential spoiler for tonight's show being reported around.

nikki bella is in New York, rumours have her replacing Eva Marie and she's been recently cleared to fight

Oersted

They need some kind of midcard title. A Miz, a Kalisto or a Apollo Crews are all not mainevent material(yet) but they still got something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom