• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 general musings and dissapointments

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Az987 said:
- The anti-aliasing seems to be kind of low, I noticed PGR 3 has alot of jaggies on my HDTV

most of the launch games are using 2xAA and PGR3 is also rendering at a lower resolution and resampling to 720p (120 lines less resolution actually) so it definately doesn't help the jaggy situation in that game

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
sangreal said:
Make sure the volume on the headset is up

Also, hit the guide button->personal settings->voice and make sure everything is setup right there

Woops. That just might be it. Thank you.

robochimp

The acievements have really been a nice addition. I hope Nintendo is paying attention especially if the price points for classic games comes in on the high side.

Az987

all good things
hgplayer1 said:
you did flip the switch on the AV cable to HD, right?

Yea and im using a Samsung LNR328W and its set on widescreen and 720p in the dashboard.

Dont get me wrong, it looks amazing but theres just alot of jaggies .

Beowvlf

Banned
ATRAC isn't streamable, is it? I can't remember if it's a Sony only format, or simply Sony supported. All my music is ATRAC on my PSP versus MP3 (less space and better quality = easy decision), so no ATRAC streaming would seriously suck in my case.

DopeyFish

Heian-kyo said:
ATRAC isn't streamable, is it? I can't remember if it's a Sony only format, or simply Sony supported. All my music is ATRAC on my PSP versus MP3 (less space and better quality = easy decision), so no ATRAC streaming would seriously suck in my case.

Atrac is a sony format, that is correct

sangreal

Heian-kyo said:

Right, becuase you were SO likely to get a 360 if it supported ATRAC.

Come on, I know you like trolling 360 threads, but ATRAC? Noone likes ATRAC. You can do better than that.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Has anyone broken the 1000 slideshow barrier?

It appears when you are viewing pictures, it can only store 1000 folders for some reason.

Anyone else seeing this?

rod

Banned
sangreal said:

Come on, I know you like trolling 360 threads, but ATRAC? Noone likes ATRAC. You can do better than that.

QFfuckingT

Beowvlf

Banned
sangreal said:

ATRAC owns MP3 as far as I'm concerned. It is barely supported, which sucks, but I only listen to music on my PSP now, so what do I care. 48kb/s ATRAC sounds even better than 128kb/s MP3, and takes up so much less space; what's not to love? And when did I say ATRAC support would make or break my decision to get the system? And why do I have to make that decision now, and not 1-4 years from now? Gotta love the defensiveness, some of you guys are nuts.

DopeyFish

Heian-kyo said:
ATRAC owns MP3 as far as I'm concerned. It is barely supported, which sucks, but I only listen to music on my PSP now, so what do I care. 48kb/s ATRAC sounds even better than 128kb/s MP3, and takes up so much less space; what's not to love? And when did I say ATRAC support would make or break my decision to get the system? And why do I have to make that decision now, and not 1-4 years from now? Gotta love the defensiveness, some of you guys are nuts.

Atrac = OGG = VQF = MPC

yeah it's better. no one cares for them though :p

Beowvlf

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Atrac = OGG = VQF = MPC

yeah it's better. no one cares for them though :p
Heh, the only reason I started using it was because I read about it online when I first downloaded SonicStage to move MP3's to my PSP. Some guy said ATRAC rules, so I tried it, and I've been hooked ever since.

Mejilan

All proprietary formats fucking SUCK.

I like my music digital and portable, and even though I own an iPod, I'm as likely to use it's shitty AAC format as I am Sony's shitty ATRAC format... no chance at all.

Ironclad

If anybody is still having problems getting your PC to recognize your 360, there is one last thing you can try. I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier in the thread though. All you have to do is install media connect, get it to start sharing. Then turn your 360 onto the dashboard and hook it up through your router or if you have it connected directly to your PC. After all this is done, you can then run the network setup wizard. On XP, just go to control panel, network and internet connections, and then click network setup wizard. Just run through that wizard and everything should be good to go. Worked for me at least.

Also, I just want to throw this comment in. PDZ has some of the worst A.I. I have ever seen. This may sound like hyperbole but it is true. There are N64 games with better A.I. Sure they can see that I am reloading or when I am weak but it's nothing really special. I see enemies standing in front of me, staring at me that do just that. Stare at me. Nothing else.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Also, I just want to throw this comment in. PDZ has some of the worst A.I. I have ever seen. This may sound like hyperbole but it is true. There are N64 games with better A.I. Sure they can see that I am reloading or when I am weak but it's nothing really special. I see enemies standing in front of me, staring at me that do just that. Stare at me. Nothing else.

You need to play at Perfect Agent, and with a partner. Other than that, PDZ 1p is ass, but multi is fun

Ironclad

Agent Icebeezy said:
You need to play at Perfect Agent, and with a partner. Other than that, PDZ 1p is ass, but multi is fun
Trust me, I know. Perfect Agent is stupid as well. Especially the multiplayer bots. The bots don't notice you until they see you or you shoot at them. When you shoot at them, they instantly find you. They instantly find you and are able to hit you from incredible lengths. The game doesn't consider distance and aiming into the A.I. The multiplayer bots are just as stupid. All they do is spam your spawn room. On Perfect Agent, they just invade your spawn room and continue to spawn kill you. First they stab us in the back by getting rid of bot personalities and now they spit in our face by giving us these dumbass bots too.

Multiplayer and co-op are a lot of fun. They more than make up for the somewhat lackluster singleplayer but I was expecting much more from "next-gen A.I." There is no need for anybody to lash out against me for my comments either. I am a huge Perfect Dark fan. No two ways about it. The game has its problems but on the whole, it's rather enjoyable. Still, this is a discussion better suited for the PDZ official thread.

Mejilan

sangreal said:
Make sure the volume on the headset is up

Also, hit the guide button->personal settings->voice and make sure everything is setup right there

Uhhh, I can't find how/where to access personal settings! :<

Edit - Forget it, found it.

2 main problems with mine-
Very rarely does the tv receive the video signal on initial bootup. Damn near every single time I have to put a game in, turn the system off, then turn it back on. If I just power it on, the tv just says signal not recieved.

I got a plasma recently for the 360. I've not looked into this problem much, but overall the screen is DARK. Turning up contrast and brightness just washes the screen out. If I watch a dvd on my PS2, the colors are nice and bold and the darkness is fine, but watching the same disc on the 360 makes it just washed out and grey (kinda like the Xbox, but more pronounced).

Hellraizah

I'm very surprised nobody came up with this but :

- Is it just me or does the sound on Xbox Live (voice) is worse than on Xbox. I've seen an improvement when I started to use my Halo 2 headset, but the headset that comes with the 360 sucks major balls.

- And what's up with the echo (you hear yourself) that often happens in private chat....

Mejilan

Nothing was wrong with my personal settings.

I start playing a game (Kameo), hit the guide button, access private chats, and select the Kameo Game Channel (at least, that's the one with the traditional volume icon next to it), but I don't hear anything. Is there no one chatting? At all? Or am I doing something wrong?

Is this a community game chat, or not?

rastex

Banned
Kameo isn't an online multiplayer game so the channel is only you. When you're in an online multiplayer game then the <GAME> channel refers to the people talking in the game, you can change to a private channel for private chats.

Mejilan

Thanks but I was getting similarly (meaning: no) results when playing PDZ a few nights ago!

Is that because I was playing the single player campaign? Chat is only available when actually playing online? That doesn't make sense. I heard people got chat going even when watching DVD movies!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wow, I just opened and played a race in PGR3. Holy mother fuck does it look good. I was kinda worried after COD2 not looking that great IMO, but wow, this is easily the best video game graphically I've ever seen. It blows everything else away. Next gen indeed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just wanted to add that Ironclad's method of running 'Network Connection Wizard' again after installing the Media Connect software pretty much fixed any issues I had with my firewall. Wish I had done that from the beginning to avoid so many hours of beationg my head against the wall to get the thing working.

Mejilan

Wait, I can install Windows Media Connect on a Windows XP machine? I thought Windows Media Center was required?

Jerkface

Banned
Mejilan said:
Thanks but I was getting similarly (meaning: no) results when playing PDZ a few nights ago!

Is that because I was playing the single player campaign? Chat is only available when actually playing online? That doesn't make sense. I heard people got chat going even when watching DVD movies!

:lol I think you misunderstood what they meant by that, you have to actually initiate a chat with someone on your friends (or recent players) list for a chat. It isn't a free-for-all chat based on what you are doing, imagine the assholes just spewing out spoilers on there!

rastex

Banned
Mejilan said:
Wait, I can install Windows Media Connect on a Windows XP machine? I thought Windows Media Center was required?

Windows Media Connect is for Windows XP, and is needed if you want to stream pictures or music to your 360. I don't know how Media Center does its streaming if you need Connect or not, but you do get the added benefit of video streaming with Media Center.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
+ Live is extremely well integrated

+ Dashboard is very nice.

+ As BrandonF already pointed out, private chat is nice. I hope they add conference rooms.

- When you sign up for Live and attempt to recover your gamertag...instead of merging the two profiles the old one overwrites your new one. This means that all of your saved games and achievements get deleted. I found this out the hard way. I guess this isn't so much of a negative for the 360 as it is a negative for the way MS handles recovering old gamertags.

- Occasional crashes in some games. PDZ has locked up on me twice after playing online and attempting to exit the game and go back into the dashboard. I'm guessing this is because of the limited development time.

raYne

robochimp said:
The acievements have really been a nice addition. I hope Nintendo is paying attention especially if the price points for classic games comes in on the high side.
I think you're confusing ms points with achievements... they're two totally different things.

-Microsoft Points: what you use in Live arcade etc to purchase games.
-Achievement Points: what you get for doing x in a game. You can't do anything with 'em.

Hellraizah said:
I'm very surprised nobody came up with this but :

- Is it just me or does the sound on Xbox Live (voice) is worse than on Xbox. I've seen an improvement when I started to use my Halo 2 headset, but the headset that comes with the 360 sucks major balls.

- And what's up with the echo (you hear yourself) that often happens in private chat....

I've noticed that the issue seems to stem from the XBox 360 headsets. I personally I get better sound quality using a standard XBox headset. You can use your XBox headsets you can adjust the volume via the guide button. My XBox360 headest is good for the most part, but at times when I have issues I just swap it for one of my third party headsets.

Brandon F said:
+ Private chat! Fantastic addition, the ability to hear how bland the Dynasty Warriors 5 Special port happens to be while you set up an Ipod playlist or fight through a game of Geometry Wars, before eventually meeting up in some RR6 matches online is absolutely wonderful! No dropouts during loading, no wires keeping you from snagging a drink from the kitchen while in communication. Brilliant!

- No more dashboard conference?? Organizing game sessions, or just chatting up with multiple XBL peeps is now relegated to broken conversations as you switch in and out of stacked private chats. One of the most useful Xbox 180 features gets the shaft? Lame.

Yeah, this is one thing that drives me up the wall! That was one of the great additons to XBL 2.0. I know friends of mine who were using this functionality of XBL for World of Warcraft and FFXI. I think M$ may have gotten wise to the fact the many users were using XBL for more than XBox only features. Also I think that why they pushed for 4 private chat channels as well. Could be a way of driving you and your friends to purchase the same games, one way to drive sales. Then again, these are just random conspiracy theories I'm just throwing out. I really like the return of the dashboard conferencing. I wanted to chat with all my pals who had XBox360 consoles on launch day but was in for a rude awakening.

Also, is there a way to transfer my profile and/or XBL account to a memory card. The one thing I loved about XBL on the XBox is that I could place my XBL account on a memory card and take it to a friends or with me when I leave town to relatives. I could not figure out how to do this or even sure this option is available with XBL 3.0 and the XBox360. I think I can transfer my gamer profile to my card (which removes it from my HDD) and transfer it back (I guess to keep tabs on your Acheivments). I would like more info on this...can anyone help?

JMPovoa

For everyone saying that PGR3 looks low res on an HDTV running at 720p resolution, try to buy the VGA cable and set it to 1280x768 resolution and, don't ask me why but, it does look better than component. The colours and sharpness get a big boost.

RoH

JMPovoa said:
For everyone saying that PGR3 looks low res on an HDTV running at 720p resolution, try to buy the VGA cable and set it to 1280x768 resolution and, don't ask me why but, it does look better than component. The colours and sharpness get a big boost.

everything seems to look better with the VGA cables!

Jonnyram

I can't get Media Connect working either, so I'll try the firewall thing tonight, but I swear I disabled it already... can't wait to get my new ipod instead :)

So for me:
+ dashboard
+ gamer profile / points etc.
+ xbox live arcade
+ best controller ever
- machine noise
- lack of titles available
- media connect not working

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
+ PGR3 (when it works)
- "Unable to communicate with all users" (or something like that)
- In-lobby system locks in PGR3 (DON'T EVER PUSH THE GUIDE BUTTON)

Mejilan

Uh, I ran installation of the Media Connect software... but now what? I don't see it as an installed program anywhere... -_-

I just want one thing for my Xbox 360: V-SYNC.

I have other complaints, but that's far and away the worst thing about the system.

Mejilan

Ugh. In order to properly forward the ports, I set up my X360 with a static IP, only now, when I test the XBL connection, my NAT setting is "moderate" (which can limit who I can play online with), whereas when everything was handled automatically, my NAT setting was "open", the ideal option.

Regardless of allowing exceptions through my firewall and forwarding ports, I cannot get the X360 to "find" my computer. Blech.

sangreal

what do you have to forward ports for? I don't forward any

did you install the windows media connect from xbox.com or windowsupdate?

Mejilan

Xbox.com

I can't get my X360 to find my computer, at all. Troubleshooting recommended a few TCP and UDP port forwarding settings.

Edit - Have .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed. Trying Ironclad Ninja's Network Setup Wizard idea now, but it's taking for freaking ever to complete. Hope it works.

sangreal

Mejilan said:
Xbox.com

I can't get my X360 to find my computer, at all. Troubleshooting recommended a few TCP and UDP port forwarding settings.

Edit - Have .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed. Trying Ironclad Ninja's Network Setup Wizard idea now, but it's taking for freaking ever to complete. Hope it works.

Well port forwarding deals with connections from the internet -- it really has no bearing on your local network. You might want to make sure you don't have UPnP disabled. Goto start->run and type in services.msc. Scroll down to Universal Plug and Play whatever and make sure it isn't set to disabled.

The whole operation of connecting pc->360 shouldnt take more than a minute or two, so something is messed up.

There is a support forum for WMC here: http://www.wmcplayer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Scoobert

- no 360 news update option or ticker in dash. (like when games are added on BC list)

I don't want to go online and check, just tell me when a game is added please. Give me the option.

+ recognizing an external hard drive as a portable device. Now I can stream music without having to touch my pc.

I have an old hard drive and a hdd enclosure. Always had my music backed up on it and now it's connected to my 360. Gig after gig of music connected straight to the 360. Why go through all the Media Center mess? :)

sangreal

Scoobert said:
- no 360 news update option or ticker in dash. (like when games are added on BC list)

I really hope they fix this.

Its really bad on Xbox live arcade where there is no "new games" option. The "new" options on the rest of the marketplace sucks too. I'd love to have a News page that listed all the new downloadable content including bc updates, marketplace stuff and xbox live arcade.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
finally got my 360 and this is as good a thread as any to post some quick impressions

+ pgr3. godly. the graphics are stunning, the handling is greatly improved. basically, no complaints.

+ the dashboard is incredible. playing anything else is going to be a chore after 360, its just sooooo well thought out. i am especially impressed with the live arcade/demo/trailer downloads. to have the market place already so packed with goodies bodes very well for the future.

- rr6. just... dull. just like the psp game, you have to be a retard to hit any wall in the entire game. that just sucks. gotta get rid of this asap. on the plus side, its quite nice looking. 60fps, huge draw distances and a cool artstyle go a long way.

- one of my wireless controllers is already having issues with one of the analog triggers. RT is always barely activated. i cant notice it in gotham at all, but in geometry wars, the effect is that the instant my ship spans, a bomb is fired, and i cant use one again till i respawn (at which point the second i spawn it fires again). i was able to switch the controls, but it kinda sucks, and i hope its not an issue with other games. for the record, i think it may have been caused by my dad playing pgr3... i noticed he really banged the controls around while playing... but what can you do.

Top Bottom