• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 general musings and dissapointments

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
UPnP is enabled both in the router and through services.msc

Argh. This is just bullshit. I don't understand why giving the X360 a static IP would cause my NAT setting to shift from open to moderate, and no matter what I do, the X360 isn't seeing my computer. Piece of shit.

Mejilan

Alright. Why is it that out of 19,165 song files from roughly 590 different albums, only 973 songs from the first 26 albums show up on my X360 using Windows Media Connect??

:( :( :(

sangreal

Mejilan said:
Alright. Why is it that out of 19,165 song files from roughly 590 different albums, only 973 songs from the first 26 albums show up on my X360 using Windows Media Connect??

:( :( :(

its probably still loading them all

Norse

LOL..Mejilan cracks me up...all I see is this little avatar elf asking questions on how to setup a x360 to do stuff. His first xbox and the guy has got to touch every part of it now! lol

Keep up the good work Mejilan. Its all worth it once its all setup.

now, as for this thread.

+ x360 is better than I had hoped. Everything just worked perfect for me. No troubles hooking up to media center pc, etc.

+ damn the controller is just the most comfortable evah!
+ cod 2 is just amazing on a 42 inch plasma. =)
+ live arcade

- headset that comes with 360 echos and you hear feedback when speaking. xbox 180 headset was better.
- Ms needs to update the dash to allow for disconnections. If you lose connection to live during a single player game, just save your stats till you login to live again. Lost my highest score ever on bejewel 2 because my router decided to drop the connection to my dsl. It was 2x what my current high score is now. /cry

Mejilan

Well, the X360 has a lot to play around with right outside the box... but in my defense, getting Media Connect and the X360 to communicate was a lot fucking tougher than it should have been. Followed some obscure FAQ I found on the net, and in all honesty, I can't determine what I did differently initially that caused the process to fail, compared to the FAQ I followed that got it to work. Ah well, I just hope I won't have any problems when I get around to reformatting my PC and restoring it. :D

123rl

Mine doesn't either. The console barely gets warm - my PSTwo gets hotter tbh - and the PSU is only warm after 3-4 hours of constant use...and that is still cooler than my laptop PSU

I'd love to know what people are doing to make their consoles get so hot

My 360 doesn't get hot, but after a couple of hours of gameplay, the PDZ disc comes out pretty damn warm. A couple of times I've been able to feel the warmth through the case.

I don't have any problems with my console, but I have noticed that my controller with the charge & play pack seems to leak a little light out of the guide button once I've turned the system off. Unplugging it and then putting it back in solves that however.

Mejilan

Is there at all a decent way of typing messages on the X360? Doing it via the virtual console using the controller SUCKS. :/

Sean

Banned
Mejilan said:
Is there at all a decent way of typing messages on the X360? Doing it via the virtual console using the controller SUCKS. :/

Just plug in a USB keyboard. I use my Apple Pro Keyboard and it works perfectly.

Mejilan

Oh shit, that's great. Damnit, now I need to go and buy one. I'm using a wireless kb for my comp... :/ They're cheap, right?

FightyF

Banned
Mejilan said:
Oh shit, that's great. Damnit, now I need to go and buy one. I'm using a wireless kb for my comp... :/ They're cheap, right?

Yeah you can get super cheap ones.

6911041_sa.jpg

$15 at BB.

_Angelus_

Banned
Don't have Windows XP so I tried copying jpegs off a CRDW but the 360 unit only allows me to choose one picture as screen saver,bleh.

On a really bright note-I tend to make mega movie disks from some of my favorite DVDs with my DVD recorder,I usually do this in the lowest dubbing since I love having a disk full of films. My original XBox would never play DVDRs that had their movies dubbed in the 8 hour dub setting. Yesterday I took these disks and tried them out on my 360-they work great.

Sean

Banned
Mejilan said:

Yeah, here's a bunch for under ten dollars at NewEgg (Link). Not sure how well they work, but that's a great deal. You can usually find nice Logitech keyboards for under $10-15 at places like CompUSA too.

I'm thinking about buying an extra one too. Right now I use my Apple Pro Keyboard, but the cord is pretty short so I've gotta sit close to the 360 to type a message.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sean*O said:
Sucker gets HOT! :) It's almost like a spaceheater.

mine doesnt either. power brick stays barely warm too. even after several hours of use.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I spent some serious time with this finally...

Basically, I walked away most impressed with RR6. It's crystal clear, plays great, and has a sense of style and polish not present in the other titles. Love it.

PGR3 looked worse than I expected, PD0 looked better than expected...but had framerate issues and was a bit jaggy in comparison to most of the titles, and Condemned was pretty slick but wasn't really scary at all.

Call of Duty 2 really bothers me, though. I like the game, but after hearing all this "60 fps!" talk, I f*cking expected 60 fps. Yeah, well it does run at 60 fps...when nothing is happening. EVERY SINGLE TIME the action heats up, things start to slow down. The game is 60 fps in the same way that Sega Rally 2 on DC was 60 fps. Highly disappointing.

Also have Kameo and King Kong, but waiting on those for the moment.

Yeah, well it does run at 60 fps...when nothing is happening. EVERY SINGLE TIME the action heats up, things start to slow down. The game is 60 fps in the same way that Sega Rally 2 on DC was 60 fps. Highly disappointing.

Agree 100%. It's not a constant 60 fps and dips here and there, which makes it somewhat a less enjoyable experience for me. On the positive side, I like:

The controller rocks! Being able to turn off/on the system is so freakin sweet! I also love Ridge Racer. Very clean look and smooth 60 fps frame rate. Geometry Wars and Live Arcade rock my boat. I love Geometry Wars. Am going to purchase the Market Place points card from Circuit City later today and then purchase this amazing game. I hope I can place high in the rankings!

Also, my expectations were probably a bit unrealistic, but what I was hoping for out of next gen were final fantasy/cg type graphics. This obviously isn't happening, but I'm fairly pleased with the system so far and anxiously await the next big 2 systems that will come out next year.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also, my expectations were probably a bit unrealistic, but what I was hoping for out of next gen were final fantasy/cg type graphics. This obviously isn't happening
I think we'll see some massive strides forward with time, though. This is just too early.

Recall the Dreamcast situation. First "next-gen" machine to the market with a lot of developers not quite putting their best foot forward yet. It wasn't time to focus on the machine yet, and I think that's the same deal with 360.

Perhaps we'll have a PS2 situation as well. PS2 made massive strides forward through its lifetime to the point where the gap between 1st and current gen PS2 games is larger than the gaps between many XBOX and 360 titles. It's a BIG leap and that could happen with 360 as well...

Mejilan

m0dus said:
Those of you who think the 360 doesn't get hot, try feeling the BACK of it after a 2+ hour gaming session. THAT is where all the heat goes.

It expels hot air, but neither the unit nor the power brick get anywhere close to hot.

quaere

Deg said:
Any fix for PD crashing all the time?
I am lucky enough to have two 360's in the house. One perfectly fine, one defective. The bad one only crashed on certain games.

Games that ran fine all the time:
COD2
PGR3
Madden 06

Games that crashed on the defective machine:
PDZ
RR6

So, don't assume that just because your 360 can play one game for hours that it is ok. If you have any crashing, call Microsoft and send it back ASAP before it's too late!

mxz

Anybody know, do they have the marketplace content (trailers, eg) mirrored in EU? Also, do any of you have the marketplace bug when you try to download larger files - it starts at 5% and then loses connection... ?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm really disappointed that I can't save playlists just because the music resides on my PC. Playlists could be saved to my PC, and be tied to my xbox 360. Why the hell is this functionality missing!?

sangreal

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm really disappointed that I can't save playlists just because the music resides on my PC. Playlists could be saved to my PC, and be tied to my xbox 360. Why the hell is this functionality missing!?

I imagine it has to do with WMC being read only.

Regardless, you cna create/save the playlist on the PC and load it on the 360.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sangreal said:
I imagine it has to do with WMC being read only.

Regardless, you cna create/save the playlist on the PC and load it on the 360.

I thought the music had to reside on the Xbox 360 hard drive in order to create a playlist.

How do you create a playlist on the PC? What software does this? Are you sure about this?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Dr_Cogent said:
I thought the music had to reside on the Xbox 360 hard drive in order to create a playlist.

Correct.

I've tried to load playlist and it never works.

sangreal

Put a playlist in one of the shared folders and it will show up under saved playlists

My winamp (m3u) playlists work and I assume wmp playlists work too

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After more than a week, here are me' thoughts so far:

On the console itself.

Never been this impressed with a game console.While there are, of course, picky oversights that need to be corrected (DOWNLOAD FILES IN BACKGROUND), the engineering put into this thing blows me away. Live integration is brilliant. XBLA rocks, etc, etc.

The controller is the best pad I've ever used. I have a hard time imagining being satisfied with a PS3 controller that doesn'th have -both- analog triggers -and- shoulder buttons now. I always loved the analog triggers on the Dreamcast pad, and now there's enough buttons to boot. The build quality of the pad is also fantastic. It feels truly solid, great buttons, great sticks. Only the d-pad feels just slightly worse than the original Xbox controller-S.

On the games themselves:

Kameo: better than I hoped after the demo, standard story there. It's a lot more polished than I hoped given Rare's track record (more on that below). Virtually rock solid frame rate, lots of detail. Bad design on the humanoid characters, yet cool and appealing design on the creatures and Kameo's warriors. The gameplay itself is queer in that it feels a bit un-evolved and N64-ish, but also has a lot of neat new details and ideas. Much more good than bad.

CoD2: awesome game, amazingly shitty Live support. Patch this damn thing already. Looks great, but "launch game-itis" shows pretty bad in the highly inconsistent frame rate. Yet the frame-rate issues are not as annoying as PD0 due to the style of the game and is sheer, gut-wrenching intensity. Probably my favorite FPS title in general to date.

Ridge Racer 6: better than RR5 and RR PSP, looks sharp and super clean, but as with all the modern RR games takes way too long to heat up to the real action. The World Xplorer is an fantastic idea for an arcade racer, but Namco needs to evolve the core of RR really bad. It's still a great arcade racer.

PGR3: I'm a MSR/PGR fan big time, and this doesn't disappoint. Looks fantastic. Plays perfectly for me. Deep, long, blah blah, great Live support. I miss the DJs and Diet Tango quite a lot though. About the only other bad thing is I think it could have used at least one more "normal" city. Nurb is a great addition but somehow feels more like a bonus area than a proper Gotham location. Of course, if DLC size isn't as restrictive as Xbox 1, they could go nuts and throw in a full-sized city or three to download.

PD0: Ah, look, it's old-school Rare. Turn on every effect, combine with questionable art and design, and don't worry about the frame rate. PD0's frame dropping is a lot more disappointing to me than CoD2, 'cause when CoD2 slows down, god damn it, it has a reason to. Vast smoke, tons of fire and explosions, etc. Meanwhiile, PD0 just has random slowdown, along with embarassingly jerky cut-scenes. It can render a ten mile wide city, but can't play a scene of two characters shooting in a hallway without stuttering animation and camera panning - WTF Rare! It's both good and bad; it's a lot of fun, yet feels old. It plays good yet moves slowly in some ways. Of their launch games, Kameo feels nice and polished, PD0 feels 6-8 weeks from being done. The single player level design is better than the crap that Bungie thinks is acceptable for Halo, yet still suffers a bit from copy and paste rooms and hallways. I wish there was a CoD2 style radar waypoint system rather than the dumb arrows to hold your hand - I just turn 'em off entirely. Basically, Rare needs to take a look at what other games are like these days before designing their next project.

Overall, I have to admit this is the best I've felt about a launch in a long while, now that I actually have the gods-damned system. It feels like there's much more potential here than the original Box. I'm jumping up and down to get DoA4 in 2 days; I think that will fully complete the launch experience, and I sure as hell expect it to equal PGR3 as the most polished and complete-feeling launch title.

TeTr1C

Kaijima said:
Overall, I have to admit this is the best I've felt about a launch in a long while, now that I actually have the gods-damned system. It feels like there's much more potential here than the original Box. I'm jumping up and down to get DoA4 in 2 days; I think that will fully complete the launch experience, and I sure as hell expect it to equal PGR3 as the most polished and complete-feeling launch title.

Get Condemned! You'll shit your pants, I swear. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sangreal said:
Put a playlist in one of the shared folders and it will show up under saved playlists

Thanks. I am going to try that right now.

jedimike

sangreal said:

I didn't realize people were having a problem with playlists. All of my playlists show up under, amazingly enough, playlists.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
jedimike said:
I didn't realize people were having a problem with playlists. All of my playlists show up under, amazingly enough, playlists.

My playlist show up but when I tell the 360 to play it, nothing happens! I made a few playlist, transfered all the tracks to a folder with the playlist, tell the 360 to play a playlist, annnnd nothing.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
My WMP playlists show up and play for the most part. Some are listed, yet come up as empty. I think what I am going to do is erase all the playlists on my WMP, then create a few that I actually want. Also, I really need to clean up my collection, the number of repeated artist names because of spelling or punctuation or something makes it hard to navigate toa particular song.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
- the whole dash/PC connectivity thing is too complex. too many blades and multiple places to access very similar but slightly different things.

- the whole media tab is a waste of time. Videos especially. only plays videos on the HDD, but not that you've downloaded. I have no idea how you get more in there apart from the preloaded ones?

- Are shared pictures shown in a flattened folder? I have mine about three folders deep, but it seems to only show the very bottom level all together. Eg I have 2005/kids/alex birthday. But all I see is 'alex birthday'. makes it difficult to find what I want.

+++ the games. Hate all you want, but I love'em. Well, COD2 and PGR3 at least. I'm now workign through the PGR3 acheivements and its fun.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
mrklaw said:
- the whole dash/PC connectivity thing is too complex. too many blades and multiple places to access very similar but slightly different things.

- the whole media tab is a waste of time. Videos especially. only plays videos on the HDD, but not that you've downloaded. I have no idea how you get more in there apart from the preloaded ones?

- Are shared pictures shown in a flattened folder? I have mine about three folders deep, but it seems to only show the very bottom level all together. Eg I have 2005/kids/alex birthday. But all I see is 'alex birthday'. makes it difficult to find what I want.

+++ the games. Hate all you want, but I love'em. Well, COD2 and PGR3 at least. I'm now workign through the PGR3 acheivements and its fun.

The videos will stream off your PC if you have a Media Center PC. the media tab isn't much of a waste of time for me as I am using it to listen to music on my PC. Though I do think the navigation to getting to the what you want should have been re-thought. I think the photo folders will just show any shared folder that has pictures in it.

Norse

mxz said:
Anybody know, do they have the marketplace content (trailers, eg) mirrored in EU? Also, do any of you have the marketplace bug when you try to download larger files - it starts at 5% and then loses connection... ?

I have had the 5% issue at times...but its not disconnected...if you let it go for a bit, and then stop and restart the d/l you'll notice the d/l is much further along than 5%.

Only happens every once in a while....matter of fact, I havent had it happen lately.

_Angelus_

Banned
OK I need to make a correction here. Last night I bitched that the 360 could not copy over more than one picture off a CDRW disk,I was wrong.

Today I found the pictures on my 360. For every picture you want copied- you have to hit the X button on your pad-which then anables that picture as your screen saver. Keep doing this for every Jpeg you want copied. Then they'll be saved under the personal settings,themes area. :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jedimike said:

I had but one playlist on my hard drive, and it was on my desktop which was not a folder I had added.

For some reason, it just never dawned on me that the 360 would be able to read a Winamp playlist. I figured it would be proprietary and the 360 itself had to create it.

I am glad I was wrong.

did someone say there was a way to play songs downloaded off of itunes on the 360? a program or something to download? i read it on the forum about a month ago and cant remember where i saw it...

Top Bottom