• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox b/c support has swayed me to buy the X

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There is mutiple attempts by people in this thread to say ps5 backwards compatibility is somehow close.......its not.

Argue it has better new games, better exclusives etc.

I no longer have a ps4 - explain to me how im getting my ps4 saves?

As far as the backwards compatibility for 360, list the top 50 games and then how many are missing. Who cares if it played every single crap game?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
BC will remain in gamer conversations until there’s a console that can play the manufacturers complete library and it’ll happen.

Riven326

Banned
For anyone who doesn't own BC enhanced games, MS kindly marked them up on the Xbox Store. Free updates yeah?
640px-EBay_logo.png

tillbot8

Banned
Yeah, it's a smart strategy which offers a lot of value. Some misses this year with Xbox but I think it's mostly a hit. Anyone who compares now to 2013 is objectively spreading FUD!

Comon Microsoft silence all the haters with maxpayne 3 4k 60 fps and hdr free upgrade
Since read dead redemption isn't enough
I think I had a better time playing rdr in 4k enhanced than almost 90 percent of the games in ps4/xbox one gen

Elias

Auto hdr being applied to most back compat games and 16x anisotropic filtering being applied to all backward compat games is impressive. Plus the more tantalizing promise of them doubling framerates and resolutions for select games, gonna need more info on that though. Imagine playing kh3 at 120 fps....

Kagey K

Banned
Auto hdr being applied to most back compat games and 16x anisotropic filtering being applied to all backward compat games is impressive. Plus the more tantalizing promise of them doubling framerates and resolutions for select games, gonna need more info on that though. Imagine playing kh3 at 120 fps....
There’s video out of KH3, looks like it stays a solid 60. No 120 options yet.

FrankWza

Even if not counting the higher amount of remasters or remakes released on PS4, PS5 BC also reaches back multiple generations, in fact PS5 supports more 'PS2 Classics' than the XBO (so Series X too) supports -or it aims to support because still doesn't support the entire XBO catalog- of OG Xbox games.

to me, I prefer the remasterand of course remake. For every NGB, there’s about 20-50 games I don’t have to go back and play. That’s a thing that goes overlooked a lot too. And I think NG is one of the great franchises. If I had to choose between playing NGwith bc and DeS remake, I’m going with remake. That’s the line in the sand to me. If you want more BC get a series x. If you want newer titles now and the probability that classics will get the remastered or remake treatment and can wait, go PS5. And NGB vs DeS is a good comparison. Both tough games and well received that, despite all of the talk, have been completed by few people at this point on original hardware and can welcome a new audience. And I do believe at some point we will see psnow have the ability to download and play all games that are available for the service.

There is mutiple attempts by people in this thread to say ps5 backwards compatibility is somehow close.......its not.

Argue it has better new games, better exclusives etc.

I no longer have a ps4 - explain to me how im getting my ps4 saves?

As far as the backwards compatibility for 360, list the top 50 games and then how many are missing. Who cares if it played every single crap game?

and yet, before the 99.9% of PS4 games was confirmed by Sony to work on PS5, most of the talk was how it was only 100 games first, because Sony gave those 100 a bump. Then the talk was how it wasn’t going to be 99% but more like 90%-95%
You don’t bet long term on something a company says it’s going to do, you bet on what they have done, consistently. In Sony’s case, all they’ve ever done is deliver what their customers want. The x’s BC is great and the auto HDR is too, but we are at the eve of a console generation that is coming together technologically like none has ever been before. Where TVs and displays are neck and neck with consoles output. For BC.....?

as far as game saves they can be transferred from cloud or a usb device if you don’t have your PS4.

MrMephistoX

I hear you. I’m probably not buying anything multi platform 3rd party on the PS5 this gen unless things run substantially better.

It’s not just the BC but MS are wizards at getting better performance out of older titles with their BC this gen...Final Fantasy XIII runs better than XV

oagboghi2

Again, you’re trolling an Xbox thread and trying to turn a thread about BC into a console war about who has better games.

It’s pathetic that you have to go into a positive Xbox thread to complain about the thread.
It’s telling that you don’t do the same with positive PlayStation threads.

Also, when did Sony announce the following?:

Doubling Frame Rates
Full clock speeds for ALL games
16xAF
Auto HDR
Gen 7 games
Gen 6 games

I know pro consumer stuff infuriates you, but please respect that some of us prefer it over being charged for remasters. Thanks for stopping by.
No, you just prefer paying a monthly fee for the lifetime of your console.

Your console warring right now. Get off your soapbox

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
do we know what games will be BC enhanced? is this a process that is automatically done to all BC titles or is it manually done to a select few titles?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
do we know what games will be BC enhanced? is this a process that is automatically done to all BC titles or is it manually done to a select few titles?
Any BC game with dynamic scaling and/or uncapped framerate will benefit from the Series X specs, and according to MS "16x anisotropic filtering has been enabled for nearly all backward compatible titles"

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Any BC game with dynamic scaling and/or uncapped framerate will benefit from the Series X specs, and according to MS "16x anisotropic filtering has been enabled for nearly all backward compatible titles"

and would this cover a big segment of their BC market?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

Will have to check back in a couple of weeks as see what we get for Series X.

Currently, Xbox One can play 28% of the Xbox 360 catalog and 4% of the original Xbox catalog. 619 titles out of 3084 across the Xbox and Xbox 360 ~ Xbox One can play 20% of the Xbox total backlog. Including all store titles, there are 2607 Xbox One titles and I believe Microsoft said that series X will be able to play 100% of the One catalog. Someone can correct me if I got that wrong.

So for people obsessed with backwards compatibility that means Xbox Series X will be able to play 100% of the Xbox One library which equates to 57% of the total Xbox library (3226 games over 3 previous generations).

For anyone not following Sony messaging, they said 99% of the PS4 library will be playable on PS5. The list of games they released that aren't compatible is less than 1% and at least one of those will be getting a patch to be compatible. Numbers are a little hard to pin down because sources differ on the exact amounts, digital titles across the PS3 weren't tracked very well and the regions complicate this so apologies if you aren't in the US, but:
PS1 US releases 1284
PS2 US releases 1850
PS3 US releases 2142
PS4 US releases 2971

Not including PS Now for compatibility that means PS5 will play 36% of the total PlayStation console library (2941 games over 4 previous generations).

Additional Notes:

This excludes any PlayStation games on their handheld consoles (PSP & Vita).

PS Now currently has over 800 titles, but it is hard to tell which ones are PS2, PS3 and PS4 among them.

Microsoft may actually go back and make more older games compatible improving their numbers.

PC has the best track record I would guess due to community support and additional tooling through VMs and emulators, but numbers there are almost impossible to pin down.

Nintendo has the weakest track record with Wii and Wii U being the only stationary consoles to offer backwards compatibility with the GameCube. Their handheld libraries have fared better, but still isn't relevant given that the switch and switch lite offer no backwards compatibility.

MarkMe2525

"I'll spend five hundred bucks on a new console so that I can play all the old games that I can play on an older, much cheaper console" just doesn't sound like a compelling reason to buy a console to me. I would have bought an XsX if it had had a couple of new games on it I can't play anywhere else. Can't get my head around just being happy playing old stuff on something new and expensive when you don't need to.
I did what your describing. I think in all this launch lineup hype, it is easy to forget Xbox has 23 first party studios. You will get all these games day one with gamepass. Sure some will be mediocre, but chances are some are gonna be really good. Launch lineups have never told the story for a consoles life cycle ever.

Long story short, much the same as any early adopter, people are buying on the consoles potential.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the narrative up until the end of 2014 for ps4 was that it was an indie machine with no big games. Look how that aged.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

to me, I prefer the remasterand of course remake. For every NGB, there’s about 20-50 games I don’t have to go back and play. That’s a thing that goes overlooked a lot too. And I think NG is one of the great franchises. If I had to choose between playing NGwith bc and DeS remake, I’m going with remake. That’s the line in the sand to me. If you want more BC get a series x. If you want newer titles now and the probability that classics will get the remastered or remake treatment and can wait, go PS5. And NGB vs DeS is a good comparison. Both tough games and well received that, despite all of the talk, have been completed by few people at this point on original hardware and can welcome a new audience. And I do believe at some point we will see psnow have the ability to download and play all games that are available for the service.

and yet, before the 99.9% of PS4 games was confirmed by Sony to work on PS5, most of the talk was how it was only 100 games first, because Sony gave those 100 a bump. Then the talk was how it wasn’t going to be 99% but more like 90%-95%
You don’t bet long term on something a company says it’s going to do, you bet on what they have done, consistently. In Sony’s case, all they’ve ever done is deliver what their customers want. The x’s BC is great and the auto HDR is too, but we are at the eve of a console generation that is coming together technologically like none has ever been before. Where TVs and displays are neck and neck with consoles output. For BC.....?

as far as game saves they can be transferred from cloud or a usb device if you don’t have your PS4.

You can't just compare xbox one back compatibility to ps4 back compatibility, thats only one generation. The series x goes back 2 more generations.

As to the saves, if you are not a ps plus member, my understanding is no cloud saves. As to usb, I no longer have my ps4, so thats a no go. With ms its just automatically taken care of back in generations as well.

As to the number of games actually supported for 360 and xbox, I could care less the total number, its the number of quality fantastic games that are compatible that matters.
This would have held true for ps4 back compatibility too had it been limited.
In fact, I would take that a step further, I'd rather have the top 40 games properly enhanced than have 540 crappy ones just play as they did before.

FunkMiller

I did what your describing. I think in all this launch lineup hype, it is easy to forget Xbox has 23 first party studios. You will get all these games day one with gamepass. Sure some will be mediocre, but chances are some are gonna be really good. Launch lineups have never told the story for a consoles life cycle ever.

Long story short, much the same as any early adopter, people are buying on the consoles potential.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the narrative up until the end of 2014 for ps4 was that it was an indie machine with no big games. Look how that aged.

I‘ll certainly buy an XSX when it has games on it I want to play that I can’t play anywhere else. That’s really the only thing that matters to me with my console choices. I wouldn’t be day one buying a Ps5 if it didn’t have that.

No, you just prefer paying a monthly fee for the lifetime of your console.

Your console warring right now. Get off your soapbox
What does a monthly fee have to so with the stuff he/she referenced? It was all backwards compatability improvements, not gamepass. Plus if you want to play online on either console, prepare to pay a monthly or annual fee. Neither is excluded from this fact.

kingpotato

You can't just compare xbox one back compatibility to ps4 back compatibility, thats only one generation. The series x goes back 2 more generations.
Umm kinda?
Currently, Xbox One can play 28% of the Xbox 360 catalog and 4% of the original Xbox catalog. 619 titles out of 3084 across the Xbox and Xbox 360 ~ Xbox One can play 20% of the Xbox total backlog.
As to the number of games actually supported for 360 and xbox, I could care less the total number, its the number of quality fantastic games that are compatible that matters.
Totally agree, glad they focused on Frogger 2 instead of Jet Set Radio Future.

THE DUCK

Umm kinda?

If your going to make the arguement, at least do it properly. Find the top 50 360 games and see how many are backwards compatible.

Last edited:
Umm kinda?

You realize that games like Jet Set Radio future have licensed music. MS didn't just randomly choose games to make compatible. Regardless there isn't another console maker doing more in this area so until that happens this whole argument is moot seeing how the OP stated BC was a driving force is his decision.

kingpotato

You realize that games like Jet Set Radio future have licensed music. MS didn't just randomly choose games to make compatible. Regardless there isn't another console maker doing more in this area so until that happens this whole argument is moot seeing how the OP stated BC was a driving force is his decision.
What decision lol??? He admits to buying EVERY previous Xbox AND PlayStation.

kingpotato

If your going to make the arguement, atvlast do it properly. Find the top 50 360 games and see how many are backwards compatible.
I don't know what you are accusing me of here. Find my previous post where I looked into the numbers. I like Microsoft's approach to backwards compatibility.

I was trying to highlight how misguided the argument is that Xbox has better backwards compatibility just because it plays a small portion of previous gen games directly while insinuating that the selection of games was entirely quality AND that the PS4 backlog was mostly low quality filler.

Maybe that's not what was meant, but that's how it was interpreted.

ZywyPL

Banned
There are always three different crowds from what I understand:

1. BC is the most important feature, to be able to play old games / access of old catalogue is essential.

2. BC is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker.

3. Don't care about BC at all.

I think they are pretty valid reasons.

4. BC will be the best way to experience all the cross-gen titles before there receive appropriate next-gen patches. Sadly.

Malcolm9

Still free for people who already own them, and the games will still be much cheaper than they were on release. And still a hell of a lot cheaper than $70.

You do realise that 3rd parties will go up to £70/$70 as well, games aren't cheap to make these days, and MS won't keeping selling Gamepass for a quid as they'll actually want to make money from the service.

I love paying £24.99 for games that came out 10 years ago.......not so great for the people that don't own it, yes they could buy online but that disc won't do much if you buy a Series S.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If playing old games is so important, why do you need a next gen console? Buy a one x or one s.

I'm on the same boat because I'm one of those that can't play every new release all the time due to many reasons (like, you know, overwhelming majority of people with jobs and stuff). Also, the ability to play new coming third party party games is great.

All I want is a machine where I can play games from this gen and the next one, I have a PC but I'm waiting for AMD to make a decision since Xbox is looking tempting this time around.

see i dont get this point, yes you may like few older games and want to play it but for how long?

do you really buy new console to play older games with minor upgrades?

i honestly think this is bad excuse for anyone that uses it, simply keep your old console and dont upgrade?

with amount of playstation exclusives theres, the only game im replaying on ps5 is finishin ghost of tsushima. not because i didnt buy it on ps4 but i want to finish on ps5 to kill time.

pasterpl

Just wondering; Isn’t that jim Ryan’s point about Sony believing in generation just something that show people that no matter how much you are invested in their ecosystem you can switch platforms as new generation means that your whole investment in to their ecosystem doesn’t matter? Your old controllers will not work fully (will support only PS4 games), your games might or not might work so your library doesn’t matter, you saves might or might not work on new gen so these don’t matter either.

You do realise that 3rd parties will go up to £70/$70 as well, games aren't cheap to make these days, and MS won't keeping selling Gamepass for a quid as they'll actually want to make money from the service.

I love paying £24.99 for games that came out 10 years ago.......not so great for the people that don't own it, yes they could buy online but that disc won't do much if you buy a Series S.
So the first part of your comment is irrelevant and then you prove my point that old games are in fact still cheaper. Thanks. Keep up the gymnastics and the caveats, we'll make a SonyGAF warrior out of you yet.

Malcolm9

So the first part of your comment is irrelevant and then you prove my point that old games are in fact still cheaper. Thanks. Keep up the gymnastics and the caveats, we'll make a SonyGAF warrior out of you yet.

Nothing irrelevant about my comment, but take it however you want. I'm concerned about your sodium levels, have some water.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
same. only having support for current gen games is not acceptable for me on Playstation. Xbox has support for every generation of Xbox.

i could understand sony not doing PS3 but there is ZERO excuse for not putting in PS1/PS2.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just wondering; Isn’t that jim Ryan’s point about Sony believing in generation just something that show people that no matter how much you are invested in their ecosystem you can switch platforms as new generation means that your whole investment in to their ecosystem doesn’t matter? Your old controllers will not work fully (will support only PS4 games), your games might or not might work so your library doesn’t matter, you saves might or might not work on new gen so these don’t matter either.
No his point was to win a PR war for 6 months to make Sony look great and Microsoft the bad guys. He let Microsoft be the bad guys for cross generation and eat 6 months of bad press articles and attacks. While hiding his cross generation versions of games. That is it plain and simple anything else is trying to spin the deception. Just like the people in 2013 who tried to spin the always on DRM.

Top Bottom