• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss says hardware analysis between consoles is “meaningless”

Lowest common denominator.

When designing for multiplatform you have to make sure the game can run on all platforms. Which means it will be designed and built for the least powerful system first and foremost. Then ported up.

A great example for this gen is Skyrim. Built for the 360 first then ported up to the PS3, which ran like hot garbage.

That's actually not what's happening now. They're starting from high end PC's and then being ported down. Square is even doing that with FFXV, which doesn't even have a PC version officially announced. So, having hardware closer to that high end PC is going to be very beneficial to that version of the game.

jaypah

I'm sure I will wait.

The first one I'm interested in is Battlefield 4. Both will be targeting 60fps and 1080p, but it'll be interesting to see if the Xbox One has to turn some bells and whistles off to achieve it.

This is the game that I'm most interested in seeing the face-off for, should be very interesting. Was the game shown on anything but a PC at E3? Like even behind closed doors?

guch20

Banned
He didn't; re-read it. He did say "the magic of instant switching."
He said "the magic we're going to bring with instant switching and the power of the cloud." It could really be taken either way, but even assuming he didn't call it a magical cloud, he still referred to it as some kind of game-changer. Which is a joke.

FranXico

Stole this from another thread (thank you SirIgbyCeaser), thought it would be appropriate:

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3′s. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.

Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360′s (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

CONCLUSION
When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.

-Archive By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson

Microsoft, what a bunch of hypocrites...

Yet last gen MS was all over the technical specs and comparing the 360 to the PS3, these guys are stupid. They need to stop the damage control an just run their own race.

guch20

Banned
Pretty much. And they really need to stop using that 'Power of the cloud' expression. By all means extol the virtues of their infrastructure and the real benefits it presents. But stop trying to blow smoke up people's asses when it comes to the clouds impact on performance. It's getting embarrassing.
This. This all damn day.

Marleyman

Banned
He said "the magic we're going to bring with instant switching and the power of the cloud." It could really be taken either way, but even assuming he didn't call it a magical cloud, he still referred to it as some kind of game-changer. Which is a joke.

He didn't call it a magical cloud; not sure why you are clinging to that.

Also, the cloud service platform is something that Sony doesn't have; we can debate if it is a game changer or not but MS has it and Sony doesn't. I would prefer that MS's PR get up to snuff about the cloud services.

Oh look. People criticizing a company for saying their focus is on game development. Shortly after complaining that the same company didn't focus on their games, but focused too much on tech/features.

Must be Friday.

They're being criticized for being hypocrites. They bragged about the 360's power and now are trying to say it's meaningless.

AmFreak

"Comparing the power of consoles is meaningless"
"People don't know what they are talking about"
"Power of the cloud"

Arnie

This is the game that I'm most interested in seeing the face-off for, should be very interesting. Was the game shown on anything but a PC at E3? Like even behind closed doors?

I don't think so.

Wasn't there word that the only games running on actual X1 development kits were a select handful of first party titles? So even the demonstration during the conference was running on PC architecture.

If I do go for one console at launch, Battlefield will probably be the main decider in which one I choose. It's the only title I'm really excited about (barring The Witness).

Thrakier

He's right though. The average gamer isn't going to know or care about what's under hood to the extent that the hardcore gamer does. Graphics definitely matter, but there's definitely a line of diminishing returns in terms of consumer interest within that department. The difference between the Wii U and Xbox One/Playstation is a completely different situation that the difference between the Xbox One and Playstation 4, and the average consumer is unlikely to really give a darn about the latter.

The difference is quite big this time and itll show.

guch20

Banned

Marleyman

Banned
I don't think so.

Wasn't there word that the only games running on actual X1 development kits were a select handful of first party titles? So even the demonstration during the conference was running on PC architecture.

If I do go for one console at launch, Battlefield will probably be the main decider in which one I choose. It's the only title I'm really excited about (barring The Witness).

BF is the major factor in deciding my initial console purchase with the exclusives on Xbox being a distant second.

I'm not usually the one to use the 'salty' meme, but Microsoft are salty.

At least Sony is somewhat capable of explaining its hardware and services.

rvy

Banned
Lowest common denominator.

When designing for multiplatform you have to make sure the game can run on all platforms. Which means it will be designed and built for the least powerful system first and foremost. Then ported up.

A great example for this gen is Skyrim. Built for the 360 first then ported up to the PS3, which ran like hot garbage.

No.

And Skyrim runs like shit on the PS3 because they're missing the additional 256MB of RAM that they can use on the 360.

its better than publishing bs numbers like MS does.

ps please go f ur self. getting ps4 only. Thanks for even remotely thinking that DRM was the future.

This is what you say when your specs are weaker.

Exactly how I feel. MS is so defensive while Sony doesn't even talk about them.

The most amazing part of this is that people actually listen to this tool.

Pociask

While his argument is undoubtedly coming from a selfish place of self interest, and if Microsoft had the more powerful system, they'd undoubtedly be shouting that far and wide....

He's absolutely right. In the end, the specs won't matter. The PS2 was stronger than the Dreamcast, but weaker than the Cube and the Xbox First (also acceptable: the XBox OG). And it absolutely demolished the competition (for a variety of reasons).* Hardware power can be a necessary component of success (and the lack of it definitely contributed to the Wii's lackluster third-party titles), but by itself it's not going to win a generation.

*Obviously the Xbone and the PS2 launched in two totally different environments, and I am not comparing the two.

While he is correct that the power difference between these machines isn't a 16bit Vs. 32bit situation, and also won't be the only deciding factor for adopters; However he is completely wrong in saying power differences are meaningless. I could write many points that prove that statement wrong, but instead I'll just say that from a consumer POV if power was meanless the WiiU wouldn't be a sales disaster and from a developer POV, it wouldn't be ignored. He only needs to look no further than his dying on the vine competition to see how wrong his statement is.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
He didn't; re-read it. He did say "the magic of instant switching."
That's an interpretation on your part. I don't think "all the magic" he's talking about refers to one thing and since he mentioned two things in that discrete clause, it's natural to assume that "all" refers to both.

Regardless, the bigger problem is anyone in the tech industry referring to any technology as "magic" should be a firing offense. IMO. Let's not condone such blatant attempts to enforce ignorance.

test_account

XP-39C²
No.

And Skyrim runs like shit on the PS3 because they're missing the additional 256MB of RAM that they can use on the 360.
Both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have 512MB of RAM. The difference is that the Xbox 360 has one unified pool of memory. But its not like the PS3 version of Skyrim only runs on 256MB RAM and the Xbox 360 version is running on 512MB RAM.

While his argument is undoubtedly coming from a selfish place of self interest, and if Microsoft had the more powerful system, they'd undoubtedly be shouting that far and wide....

He's absolutely right. In the end, the specs won't matter. The PS2 was stronger than the Dreamcast, but weaker than the Cube and the Xbox First (also acceptable: the XBox OG). And it absolutely demolished the competition (for a variety of reasons).* Hardware power can be a necessary component of success (and the lack of it definitely contributed to the Wii's lackluster third-party titles), but by itself it's not going to win a generation.

*Obviously the Xbone and the PS2 launched in two totally different environments, and I am not comparing the two.

If you're going to bring of the PS2, then you can't ignore that a major factor in how Sony stomped out the Dreamcast was by creating a belief that it wasn't in the same generation as the PS2. And by doing that the PS2 rocketed out the gate and was so far ahead by the time that the other consoles were out that it didn't matter anymore if they were more powerful.

I think MS' constant downplaying of the hardware difference bodes extremely well for PS4's power difference.

If it were truly negligible this would have been not addressed on so many different ways, such as "It's about the games", "we're super-optimized", "I'm not Mark Cerny!"

Makes my PS4 purchase all the more secure.

Marleyman

Banned
You might want to inform Shuhei Yoshida that Sony doesn't have a cloud (http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/4424022/sony-shuhei-yoshida-says-ps4-cloud-computing-calculations). I'm sure he'd be interested in your expertise.

I don't need to inform him of anything; I am going based off of the thread that the guys from Respawn were posting on and other posts I have seen since it was announced.

Also, Azure is built in and it’s free for the developers to use it. Unlike last-gen, this makes it easier and cheaper for game developers who aren’t usually too good at networking and server administration.

Could you detail me Sony's cloud platform because Yoshida said it CAN.

Portugeezer

"More computer power than the world had in 1999."

tom-baker-creepy-smile.gif

Games are certainly the primary driver, but hardware still matters in the overall analysis. So, no, it pretty much isn't the truth that it's "meaningless".

Just on a superficial level: how many more games can you buy if you purchase a $399 piece of hardware vs. a $499 piece of hardware, since the hardware is apparently meaningless? ;)

Right, but I don't think the gap will be THAT huge to the point where we'll see game mechanics or ideas in games that will be possible on the PS4 while not being possible on the Xbone.

Gestault

They're being criticized for being hypocrites. They bragged about the 360's power and now are trying to say it's meaningless.

Is it possible that they're saying it is/was an ineffective tactic? And that the broader market would rather hear about game software in their PR than the box itself?

Wynnebeck

Banned
He didn't call it a magical cloud; not sure why you are clinging to that.

Also, the cloud service platform is something that Sony doesn't have; we can debate if it is a game changer or not but MS has it and Sony doesn't. I would prefer that MS's PR get up to snuff about the cloud services.

lol So Sony didn't buy Gaikai last year?

MikeDown

Banned
Well for the most part it is meaningless, last gen most crossplatform releases were standardized toward the lowest tier hardware.

Nafai1123

Banned
I don't need to inform him of anything; I am going based off of the thread that the guys from Respawn were posting on and other posts I have seen since it was announced.

Also, Azure is built in and it’s free for the developers to use it. Unlike last-gen, this makes it easier and cheaper for game developers who aren’t usually too good at networking and server administration.

Could you detail me Sony's cloud platform because Yoshida said it CAN.

1. It's not free. Respawn just said it's "more affordable."
2. Please show me the source from Respawn that says Sony doesn't have any similar options.
3. What do you think Gakai is?

Marleyman

Banned
False. They're going to charge Respawn money to use Azure. And if they're going to be charging Respawn, you know they're going to be charging everyone else.

I need to find where it said that; I thought the Respawn dev mentioned that it was free for them. Can you direct me towards something that states they are charging them? Not denying it; just want to make sure..thanks.

Eusis

False. They're going to charge Respawn money to use Azure. And if they're going to be charging Respawn, you know they're going to be charging everyone else.
On that note, errr, what the fuck IS Live for? Not that I expect free rides all the time here or anything, but the implication was that multiplayer was a cost on our end. Do they reduce costs for publishers renting servers, or does Microsoft just pocket the money and call it a day?

gryz

Banned
lol of course ms would say that. when both consoles are running on the same cpu architecture the numbers are pretty meaningful

Top Bottom