• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller Warranty Extended - Revision Inbound?

LKSmash

GameStop is still offering the $50 trade in offer but I don't want to pull the trigger. I gotta assume a revision is coming and if they bundle one with the Scorpio I'll kick myself for buying one now.

Yeah I'm convinced there will be a 2.0 version as well. Almost pulled the trigger a few times already this year.

Wait, Elite controllers have had this much of an issue? I've been using mine now for a year and a half and never had the first problem with it. It still works just as well as the day I got it.

trying to understand why it is not an issue worldwide but it is on USA only
We have 90 days too in Mexico, so the 90 days affect every country, not sure about europe

Maybe North America gets 90 days but worldwide it's different - I asked the lady on the phone and she confirmed that other countries internationally get a 1 year warranty.

Still a good controller but I've never had good luck with special edition controllers from Microsoft, outside of the rare Halo 4 360 edition controller which has been flawless for me.

Spasm

Where's my medium-length, concave sticks, Microsoft? Long-concave is too long. Short-concave is too short. And medium-convex is horribly... convexed. I will pay monies!

Edit: Crossed the dreams.

Wait, Elite controllers have had this much of an issue? I've been using mine now for a year and a half and never had the first problem with it. It still works just as well as the day I got it.

Yeah, I never had a single issue until the bumper just broke one day. Pissed me right the fuck off.

Talonluck

I need to try this. My controller started doing a bad drift upwards that screws up so bad and thought I was SOL. Thanks for the tip.

Nowise10

I bought mine in December 2015 so I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. Just be polite and honest with them.

Just got off with support and got my replacement order submitted, she did mention they offer a one time replacement courtesy outside of the warranty.

Neato!

I don't get that mindset. Wouldn't it be better if you only had to buy one? Or was that sarcasm i didn't get?

Maybe i worded something wrong?

I bought one, the right bumper went, so I bought a new (second) one to replace it. Now, on my second one, the left bumper is starting to go, so I'm looking at having to replace that one, which would put me on number three (and is a huge bummer).

But maybe I won't need to buy a third one, if the warranty is now a year. I could just get that second one replaced.

Breethagh

Neo Member
Europe has a 2 year warranty by law. Or one year

Actually Europe have 90days warranty for MS controllers.
This is MS warranty.

Simultaneously 2 years by law but in that case its seller/shop "responsibility".
You have also 1 year to report seller of defect, so you can notice the defect on 23month and since then you have 12 months to report it to seller.

almost 3 years :) by law

Jaraghan

This is the bare minimum I'd expect. After getting two of them that were defective out of the box, it was clear to me that the QC on these things wasn't up to par and a 90 day warranty just wouldn't cut it. I sent them both back.

Still don't trust it at $100+. I'll check back in on reports after there's a clear revision.

Feels great in the hand. Durability is not there despite their marketing claims.
This. My first one had a broken left bumper after 4 months. The one I have now, both grips on the side are barely hanging on. I have to grip the controller in a way so they don't fall off.

These controllers feel great and play great, but they are some of the worst built controllers I have ever used. I probably will never get a 3rd.

FinKL

I'll have to get in on this, I got a small drift that I thought was caused from messing with analog stick deadzone, but it's still there on default. Makes it very difficult to player Overcooked when you slowly but surely start moving up.

FPS games like Destiny are fine though, as you are nearly always aiming.

Getting a replacement shipped to me, free of charge

They didn't ask for anything and I don't need to ship the old one back either

Wow, this is incredible. Sounds like a lot of people having success.

I'm gonna be doing this as soon as I walk in the door tonight.

Velikost

Are the replacements you guys have been getting brand new, or are they refurbs?

I've had a loose stick since I got the thing at launch, but they were sold out for so long I just decided to deal with it.

I've had a loose stick since I got the thing at launch, but they were sold out for so long I just decided to deal with it.

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I suspect they'll be new.

Novocaine

The one I got looks and feels like it's completely new.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I noticed last night on Reddit that people were getting their Elite controllers replaced even though they were out of warranty. I figured there was no harm in trying since one of my triggers broke, although I had my doubts since I bought the thing in 2015. Sure enough though, I started an online support chat, gave the person my info, and this morning I've already received an e-mail with a FedEx tracking number saying my replacement is on the way. I didn't even have to send in my broken controller, which was obviously a time saver.

Some people are saying the warranty is indefinite now and others are saying they were told there's a one time replacement. I can't clarify either way, but if you've got a broken Elite controller that you assumed was a lost cause then I suggest you start a chat or give support a call. I also can't clarify whether this is only available to folks in the US, but it's worth a shot.

This makes me wonder though... why is MS suddenly expediting replacements? I find the timing a bit peculiar considering E3 is around the corner. Could there perhaps be a revision to the Elite controller set to be unveiled at E3 and they're attempting to clear stock?

To those saying they've attempted to repair the controller and thus voided their warranty: I didn't have to mail mine in. I don't know if that will be the case for everyone, but if you don't mail it in then they have no way of knowing what you've done to try and repair it yourself. I see no harm or foul play here since you likely voided your warranty with the thought it was out of warranty anyway. Just give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose.

wow , i gotta try this!

... you need your serial number dont you? :( its on the sticker i removed to take mine apart to repair it.

wow , i gotta try this!

... you need your serial number dont you? :( its on the sticker i removed to take mine apart to repair it.

I didn't have to give them the serial number last night, only the console serial number. I think that's because I had previously registered the controller though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I didn't have to give them the serial number last night, only the console serial number. I think that's because I had previously registered the controller though.

i'll give it a shot, thank you.

recently did the repair for the second time and screwed up the lb permanently. i've since added a second paddle and mapped it to lb but... thats just not the same (and damn hard to adjust to!)

Justinh

They had to take my console serial number to "adjust my warranty." I was hoping they wanted the controller's because I didn't want to dig out my Xbox One out of its hole lol.

I supposedly have to wait for the hardware team to get available so they can adjust my warranty then the agent I spoke to will put in my order and have it sent to me. Apparently I'm done with what I need to do and they'll send me an email when my order has been placed. They told me I might have to wait 24-72 hours for that to happen though. No biggie.

They had to take my console serial number to "adjust my warranty." I was hoping they wanted the controller's because I didn't want to dig out my Xbox One out of its hole lol.

I supposedly have to wait for the hardware team to get available so they can adjust my warranty then the agent I spoke to will put in my order and have it sent to me. Apparently I'm done with what I need to do and they'll send me an email when my order has been placed. They told me I might have to wait 24-72 hours for that to happen though. No biggie.

You can go into the settings to get the serial number.

Edit: I posted before I read it all haha. They told me the same thing, that it may take a few days to process, and I got the shipping confirmation roughly 8 hours later (this morning) so it's likely to be shipped by tomorrow.

SRTtoZ

MS is really good with warranties IMO. I dropped my Surface a long time ago and cracked the screen so I called support told them it was supposed to be pretty good on small drops and they replaced it no questions asked, so I got the new one and a few days later the corner hit my bedpost super lightly and it splintered the entire screen, I was in awe at how easily the screen broke since it didn't hit hard, it just slowly slid down and hit the post, anyway they replaced it once again no questions asked. Will buy another surface when this old tablet dies eventually because of that type of service.

More on topic I do have an elite controller but its been flawless since I bought it. I recently bought an extra pair of thumbsticks for the long haul and now its good knowing if something happens they will replace it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
not sure but xbox support is fucking high .
they want proof of purchase of an elite controller.
the damn console isn't even 2 years old.
Europe here.
My charging cable is faulty and i would like to have it replaced.

2 hours on their support chat HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA
i want his job

Justinh

You can go into the settings to get the serial number.

Edit: I posted before I read it all haha. They told me the same thing, that it may take a few days to process, and I got the shipping confirmation roughly 8 hours later (this morning) so it's likely to be shipped by tomorrow.

I thought about that, but I was worried that I'd accidentally give them the wrong serial number because my Dad's Xbox One is set to my "home console." Although, after looking at the page, it clearly says "home console" as his and no serial is listed (I'm guessing because it's not registered to my account). Dude said he had to register my console to my account which was weird because I'm positive I had done that already. Maybe he meant something other than what I'm thinking though.

neurophd

Damn...I was out of warranty so fixed my snapped bumper on my own. Works great now but my left stick is a little wonky. Not excited to solder a new one.

My left bumper has come loose again and the grip on the right side started coming undone this week. I've had to get my Elite replaced twice already for the left bumper issue and am now out of warranty. Love the controller so much, but I can't believe these issues haven't been fixed yet. ugh

Maybe I'll give MS a call tonight.

TURBO1112

Have 2. One I bought last year I got an exchange set up no problem. I will have to ship back the broken one though. They are covering fees.

My other one that I bought at launch he said he couldn't do because the purchase date was older then 360 days ago.

Soulja

Just tried getting a replacement for my elite controller and they told me no as I'm outside the warranty period. The controller is about 15 months old.

Also I'm from the UK.

Justinh

Just tried getting a replacement for my elite controller and they told me no as I'm outside the warranty period. The controller is about 15 months old.

Also I'm from the UK.

Interesting. I guess it's a regional thing.
I had mine preordered since that E3 shortly after they showed up on amazon and this was on the invoice that I sent customer service via email.
kU2rA7W.jpg

Defect

This is clearly new since I contacted them two separate times with months apart. The first time they said there was no replacement or repair solution. The second time was a few weeks ago and they said that any controller less than a year old would get replaced.

Now they told me that every owner will get a guaranteed replacement regardless of the warranty.

It's all thanks to me guys.

Warablo

Is there any point in waiting to try and get a replacement? My controller is still usable, but both my sticks are broken, and the rubber is coming off the back.

Hopefully a new sturdier version with good warranty gets announced at E3. Also they need to do something with the paddles. Only the top 2 paddles are comfortable to use reliably.

Wamb0wneD

Maybe i worded something wrong?

I bought one, the right bumper went, so I bought a new (second) one to replace it. Now, on my second one, the left bumper is starting to go, so I'm looking at having to replace that one, which would put me on number three (and is a huge bummer).

But maybe I won't need to buy a third one, if the warranty is now a year. I could just get that second one replaced.

Personally i wouldn't buy a third version of a controller that broke 2 times already lol. Strange how people are even glad to get the next one.

I tried getting a replacement a few months ago and the lady wouldn't do it. Might try again... stupid drifting issue on left analog stick :/

Top Bottom