• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller Warranty Extended - Revision Inbound?

Personally i wouldn't buy a third version of a controller that broke 2 times already lol. Strange how people are even glad to get the next one.

Yeah, I get you.

The problem, as others have eluded to, is that it actually is a really nice controller to use. It feels really good and I've actually used the additional paddles for a few games too.

It just sucks that the build qualty isn't there.

Why would this warranty thing mean a revision is incoming?

I don't see the connection there

It's possible a revision is incoming since they've began to issue replacements just before E3. They're sending out $150 controllers to people without any proof that the controller is actually broken in that they're not requesting the controller be sent in first, and they're also not charging for shipping. In my opinion, this is odd behavior for a corporation and suggests they're clearing stock for an upcoming revision. It would also make sense for the Elite controller to have Bluetooth. Lastly, it would make another selling point if it's bundled with Scorpio.

Jafku

They told me they will replace it but I have to ship my old one. It's still usable. Hmmmm
fwiw I bought mine from Amazon last april

Lazaro

Not sure if related but I have heard Microsoft Band users being able to get full refunds/Microsoft Credit because of the devices discontinuation.

Hope there's a revision incoming with scorpio. A version with Bluetooth 5.0 and USB-C would be great for future-proofing. Love my OG elite, even use it with my PS4 all the time.

LOLCats

Banned
I didnt buy one because of that super short warranty.

I still wont buy one due to failure rate, but if a revision shows up and comes with atleast a year warranty i might consider it.

Nowise10

Awesome! I'm glad it worked for you!

I just got the email though and they want me to ship my controller back first, which is lame.

How do they determine these things? I wont even get sent one until they recieve mine, some people they send one out right away but also want the originall shipped back, and some don't have to send back anything at all.

EDIT* Didn't even provide me a shipping label so I would have to cover the cost. Eh....

Dlacy13g

Hats off the OP! I just reached out to Xbox Support as I was noticing some drift in my right stick and even though my controller was over a year old they are doing an exchange at no cost. Now I will say that the CSR actually used my existing warranty of my Xbox One S as the override to get the controller swapped out so it technically wasn't my elite warranty being used. Either way... they are replacing no charge which kinda floors me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Also got a free replacement
No need to send mine in too thanks OP
My cable tip was all bend and crooked so it didnt connect to my xbox one

I'm glad this has worked out for so many. I have no idea how they determine who gets an expedited replacement (read: you don't have to return yours) and who doesn't. All I can recommend is to be polite with the people as I assume it's either at their discretion or maybe how many years on XBL, how much you've spent, etc.

Nowise10

I'm glad this has worked out for so many. I have no idea how they determine who gets an expedited replacement (read: you don't have to return yours) and who doesn't. All I can recommend is to be polite with the people as I assume it's either at their discretion or maybe how many years on XBL, how much you've spent, etc.

I'm in the midst of talking with them right now to see if anything can be changed

Don't think its years on XBL, because I've had LIVE for 10 years straight ha

Nowise10

Maybe try asking them why some people have to return theirs and others don't?

vB73XUU.jpg

Guess it makes sense. I bought mine from Gamestop online and showed them that receipt.

Couldn't get a shipping label or have them send the replacement first, which is extremely lame. I don't want to go without a controller for X amount of weeks.

vB73XUU.jpg

Guess it makes sense. I bought mine from Gamestop online and showed them that receipt.

Couldn't get a shipping label or have them send the replacement first, which is extremely lame. I don't want to go without a controller for X amount of weeks.

I bought mine from BestBuy though....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I didnt even need to show them my receipt.
He pulled some strings and it was done.
Also didnt buy it at the microsoft store.
Really great service from microsoft!

My experience:

Talked to Jolly Mae through chat support. Explained my issue "My left stick became unhinged and stopped working". She asked how i got the controller. It was part of my Elite Bundle. She says:

Just a heads up, Elite controller has 90 days warranty only. If this is out of warranty, we can still process replacement for this but it would need to send the defective device first before we send you replacement. And you will have to shoulder the 1 way shipping to our Service center. Would that be okay with you?

I say yeah and she says,

Sounds great! Can you take a picture of your Elite controller and send that to me via email? This is a requirement for us to process this.

cool. sent her a pic and she says,

I will now send this to our offline team for request and this may take 24-72 hours since there is a specific department who will process this. Do not worry. We will update you through email if the replacement controller order is already process.

This is a lot further than i got before. My controller broke about a month after my 3 month warranty was done. I got an Elite bundle day one and my controller has just been sitting there collecting dust. thanks again for the heads up OP.

Just talked to a C/S rep (edited out name to not get people in trouble...) Provided a snapshot of my receipt from Target from 10/23 last year.

I think OP might be on to something....

Alright. Thank you, Adam. We were able to check for a warranty replacement available on our end and we would like to inform you that since the elite controller is becoming out of stock already on our end, it's good that you informed us already so that we can provide for a one time make good warranty replacement on our end. We also have the option here which is a replacement accessory will be sent immediately. and you are not required to return your non-functioning item. Would you like me to process it now?

Sounds like they are running low on stock of the controllers.

E: Oh and thanks again OP. You're the best!

Because of this thread I tried my lock as my left thumb stick doesn't work right anymore. I had to send in receipt copies of my controller and console for some reason. Sending me a new controller with no need for returning my broken one.

Read my above reply. They're sending replacements to at least some people, including myself, without even verifying they're actually broken. Seems as though they're trying to clear stock IMO.

This isn't new for MS. They did the same thing for the Habu mouse when it turned out to have garbage QC. I ended up with 3 of them because they just sent me a new one every time it broke and they never once verified my purchase or troubleshooted it.

How do you register your controller? It never takes my serial number.

I want to say I did it when I previously tried to exchange it. I recall having to enter the SN, but it was a while ago.

Just talked to a C/S rep (edited out name to not get people in trouble...) Provided a snapshot of my receipt from Target from 10/23 last year.

I think OP might be on to something....

Sounds like they are running low on stock of the controllers.

E: Oh and thanks again OP. You're the best!

Nice, maybe I can take off my tinfoil hat now haha. And you're very welcome!

So I just received my replacement, and to my surprise it came with all the paddles, regular concave sticks and the multidirectional d-pad. So I guess I have some extra parts for it now as well as a new controller.

Talonluck

Just did it with support and they said they'd send me a replacement. They did say it was an out of warranty free replacement but did say that I would have to send my broken controller in.

Oozer3993

Just got through with Xbox Support Chat. I'll have to send in my stick drifting Elite, but I should get a replacement. FYI: I bought it the day the Elite came out but was never asked in the chat when I got it.

Just did it with support and they said they'd send me a replacement. They did say it was an out of warranty free replacement but did say that I would have to send my broken controller in.

Just got through with Xbox Support Chat. I'll have to send in my stick drifting Elite, but I should get a replacement. FYI: I bought it the day the Elite came out but was never asked in the chat when I got it.

Same. They actually called me exactly 24 hours from my first chat. Pretty hype.

Justinh

I was just about to make a post in here that they sent me an email yesterday saying they're still on the case and they'll send me an email when they submit the order and I just noticed that I got an email earlier this morning asking for a picture of my elite controller.

Strange, but I'm hoping this keeps moving forward for me.

Day after edit: Whelp, got a new email today. I need to send in my controller.

Moshio

Neo Member
For those that have received their replacement, does it come with a new zipper case as well? I have been looking for a new case for my other controller for travel, but I can't seem to find one besides used ones on ebay.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

No doubt MS are working on a revision. I love my Elite, but it lacks Bluetooth so unable to use wirelessly with ease on my Surface.

quickwhips

How to you call your warranty in. When i tried for my grip they told me my xbox was out of warranty so i couldn't call it in. Its been a nightmare. Im not sure where to go to get help.

Top Bottom