• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - MARCH 2012 (Hello)

@Kris

Correct. They were very clear that they did not even make a point of mentioning XBLA in this year's event.

Last year every game that won a prize was a released and known quantity, which I expect had a certain effect on why they were chosens as winners. I think MS is a little disorganized internally when it comes to visibility of xblig games for XBLA potential. If you want an XBLA contract for your game, don't release it. Once it is out there at the price you set it at, there is no more value for MS to raise it to XBLA. You can't hype media and players on a game that has already been released on the console.

If you liked the look of Magic GP in the first post, then you'll be pleased to know it's just dropped to 80 points! Unless you bought it for 240, then you'll probably be kinda annoyed, but since it's worth 240 easily it's not so bad.

But anyway, everyone else should buy it now, especially with the F1 starting soon. We should have a GAF Magic GP championship alongside the real F1.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^^I wondered why the 'Recommend to a friend' text had it listed for 240. I just bought it about an hour ago based on the images and write up alone. No trial, no testing, just buy buy buy! What an awesome little game, and all made by one person? What a fantastic effort! It's like the PES of F1 games, but Indie. Plays great and has all the editable features to make it seem like a licensed product. I wonder if he has had any issues with track licensing cos the tracks are very very similar if not look like the real thing and I know it costs a %&ken bomb to license tracks.

Just to be sure, I can setup a US account, buy US MSP, and buy these indie games for playing them on my EU 360 ?

Why would you need to? I have a UK account as my primary account (I'm in NZ) and can download/purchase any/all XBLIG. Do you not have access to XBLIG in certain EU countries?

Out of interest, and I expect an Indie dev will be able to accurately answer this, but do you have to pay to patch games like proper published titles?

It would be nice if MS would allow some sort of Achievement allowance for Indie games, like say 50Ach points per game or something. This would help boost sales for all those achievement whores out there. I know I have a hard time going back and playing old PS3/PSP games now and then because of the lack of trophies (I know, I know. Sad) but I'll always support the Indie scene thanks to these threads. Infact, I'm more likely to purchase something with screenshots than the Bronze titles that don't. ;)

Out of interest, and I expect an Indie dev will be able to accurately answer this, but do you have to pay to patch games like proper published titles?

No, patches / updates are free. But they do go through the same review process as everything else. That also means that you can submit only once every seven days.

Gen X

Thanks for the swift reply. That's great that Indie Devs don't on MS behalf, shame they don't incorporate this to full fledge retail titles since it's in their best interest to get games fixed. Maybe there is just more to it behind the iron curtain than the public knows.

^^I wondered why the 'Recommend to a friend' text had it listed for 240. I just bought it about an hour ago based on the images and write up alone. No trial, no testing, just buy buy buy! What an awesome little game, and all made by one person? What a fantastic effort! It's like the PES of F1 games, but Indie. Plays great and has all the editable features to make it seem like a licensed product. I wonder if he has had any issues with track licensing cos the tracks are very very similar if not look like the real thing and I know it costs a %&ken bomb to license tracks.

Glad you like it, it's always a bit worrying when people buy without a trial based effectively on just my taste in games! I can't imagine anyone with a passing interest in F1 not loving it though. As for licensing issues, the game was originally going to be released as Formula GP, so you can make of that what you will!

And yeah, made by one guy I think. The track art was licensed, but as far as I know everything else was him. He's signed up for a GAF account so could tell you more, but it could be a while before he's authorised. He's @CristianoRuisi on twitter if you wanna get in touch and tell him you like the game.

Gaspode_T

In regards to your 50pt achievement idea: Microsoft has built a new way for devs to implement Xbox Live services in an easy and scalable way (first announced at Build, they talked about it again at GDC), but it unfortunately depends upon the one thing that Xbox Indie Games probably will never have: internet access. Windows Phone 7 games have internet access, PC games obviously have internet access, but Xbox Indie Games are specifically limited here because of a very specific reason: the content is already "unrated" but peer review process screens the games for adult content, but if you were able to make a web request to some website you wouldn't be able to prevent the game from switching out content at the end point later.

The positive thing is that games on xbox.com website (Xbox Live Web Games), Windows Phone games, etc are all getting more and more likely to have achievements in the future. Xbox Live Indie Games - I really wanted achievements too but I guess the only positive way to spin it is to give yourself "hipster" cred for buying the one thing that doesn't have anything to do with your gamerscore.

OnPoint

At this point I'd just be happy if the title showed up as the game I'm playing instead of "Indie Games" or whatever it currently displays.

At this point I'd just be happy if the title showed up as the game I'm playing instead of "Indie Games" or whatever it currently displays.

The strange this is that web services like Raptr know you are playing a specific indie game and track how long you have played it for. If Raptr knows and can print out that data then it stands to reason that the Xbox Dash can too.

Dear XBLIG developers, when creating a complex game such as, say, CyberDeck or Dark Forest, it would be a good idea to introduce mechanics to the player slowly rather than completely baffling them with everything straight away so they've got no idea what's going on and just delete the game instead of bothering to work the damn things out. Especially if you're going to fill your tutorials with 400 dull-as-all-fuck walls of text. Also, when creating a complex game such as, say, Dark Forest, which does have those novels-worth of text in the tutorial screens, it would be a good idea to present it in a font that is actually readable.

Just a suggestion.

Gen X

Glad you like it, it's always a bit worrying when people buy without a trial based effectively on just my taste in games!

I looooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee driving games. Just love them, my favorite genre ever.

I guess the only positive way to spin it is to give yourself "hipster" cred for buying the one thing that doesn't have anything to do with your gamerscore.

"Hipster" cred. Lol

:(

/uninstalls all Indie games.

jk

OnPoint

Dear XBLIG developers, when creating a complex game such as, say, CyberDeck or Dark Forest, it would be a good idea to introduce mechanics to the player slowly rather than completely baffling them with everything straight away so they've got no idea what's going on and just delete the game instead of bothering to work the damn things out. Especially if you're going to fill your tutorials with 400 dull-as-all-fuck walls of text. Also, when creating a complex game such as, say, Dark Forest, which does have those novels-worth of text in the tutorial screens, it would be a good idea to present it in a font that is actually readable.

Just a suggestion.

We tried to play Dark Forest last night and... well, it didn't go so well. If you want to release a PC game, release it on the PC for fuck's sake.

Gaspode_T

Some of the new releases looked interesting enough for me to download the trial...but i just got ME3 last night, so the ability for a Xbox Indie Game to win out was slim to none

The ones that looked interesting to me were "Birth Order" and Redshift, Birth Order seems like a shooting game with...QTEs?? I don't know but...Redshift looks like a procedurally generated shmup with red vectrex graphics.

Dark Forest - is it by the Dark Delve guy maybe?

"Alexander Learning Series Match with Wally" - the creature on the cover looks a little too close to being out of one of HR Giger's nightmares

Feep

Banned
The ones that looked interesting to me were "Birth Order" and Redshift, Birth Order seems like a shooting game with...QTEs?? I don't know but...Redshift looks like a procedurally generated shmup with red vectrex graphics.

Redshift is the better of the two, but starting at level one and level 350 gives you exactly the same enemies (although WAY more bullets.) If you like bullet hell, you'll probably enjoy it, but it feels like there's basically no variety at all and it could get old very quickly.

Birth Order is a curio. If the enemies on screen have A prompts, you press A, X for X, etc. It's an interesting idea, but as far as I could tell there was no way to change the size of the screen so it didn't fit onto my display and I couldn't see what the enemies at the top and bottom were. Couple that with an experience and card system that the game does its best to not explain and I wasn't really sure what was going on most of the time.

I met James in 2009 while waiting in line for the Xbox 360 press conference at the Galen Center. He gave me a shirt, and I told him about a stupid game I was making called Sequence. I've seen him off-and-on since then. = D

Makes you realize how small (and friendly) the industry is, right?

I still can't get on with Orbitron. I'll happily recommend it to others because it's obviously a quality thing and so cheap, just will never really be for me I fear.

(By the way, your "buy" screen still says 240MS Points, WM.)

I still can't get on with Orbitron. I'll happily recommend it to others because it's obviously a quality thing and so cheap, just will never really be for me I fear.

(By the way, your "buy" screen still says 240MS Points, WM.)

I doubt that will ever be fixed. We probably should never have put the price on that screen. There may be a chance that the price will return to 240 or higher in the future as 80pts isn't helping move the game anyway.

Anyway, Orbitron:Revolution is old news :)

If you want to see what could have been after O:R check out our site. We describe what could have been if we went through with our take on Herzog Zwei.

http://firebase.ca/2012/03/17/project-fireline/

Bullshots but the game would have looked far better. These were roughs/mockups.

fireline03.jpg

fireline02.jpg

fireline04.jpg

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I've been so out of the loop because I've been so heavily occupied with Rainslick3 and PAX preparations, but I just realized that Wizorb was just released on Steam for $3, it's $2.69 right now on sale!

So that's pretty cool news.

Gaspode_T

Yeah I noticed your sales seem to drop like a rock after Techno Kitten Adventure took over the cover spot from Orbitron.....that's kind of frustrating, I still have a mystery in wondering what caves people come out of to buy some of the weird crap that sits between about position #20 and Orbitron (position 1 through 20 is pretty consistent mining, boobs and zombies, after that you can find stuff like pong clones or almost anything)

Wizorb is a great game but I would love to play it most on a tablet...Windows 8 tablets...mmm...would be nice to have the breadth of having both XBLA and XBLIG stuff on the go. I imagine about this time next year most XBLIG devs will have moved to either mobile or tablets, some will remain of course but probably I would almost welcome less games being released so it's easier to keep on top of which are good.

I could swear Team Shuriken must have been reading my mostly in jest tweets about someone becoming rich by making a game about girls in bikinis collecting shells to upgrade bikinis (I was talking mining not diving though)...

Impressions from the weekend:

I tried Craftimals and was kind of disappointed, I couldn't tell if there was much besides building up and getting some power ups from your hat.

Retro Arcade Adventure is not really epic like EpicQuest but more one screen arcade-ish game almost like a twin stick (but not twin stick..), it's cute...the dev really needs to add prompt to buy from within the game (only way to buy would be to let trial expire)

I didn't really get Retro Arcade Adventure. I felt like I'd seen literally everything the game had to offer within five seconds.

Dream Divers is weirdly addictive though. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was good, but every time a dive ended I was straight back in with another one to get that little bit further or explore that little bit more. Controls felt pretty spot on, to be honest. I'd probably have a fair bit of time for it if the art-style wasn't so pathetic.

OnPoint

I've been so out of the loop because I've been so heavily occupied with Rainslick3 and PAX preparations, but I just realized that Wizorb was just released on Steam for $3, it's $2.69 right now on sale!

So that's pretty cool news.

I'll have to stop by and say Hi during PAX.

Anyone else going?

Gaspode_T

Wish I was still in Seattle, although every time PAX came around when I was there it had to be scheduled during some sort of crunch time so I've actually never been to one...

This Ogre's Phantasm Sword game LOOKS amazing, I have yet to hear about gameplay besides that you drop money you've collected when you get beat up, which sounds almost like River City Ransom LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG-FqpDxI9M

I realized people wandering into this thread might be like "What the heck are these guys talking about" without more screens pasted, so at least here's the box art:

_xboxboxart-1332104316.jpg

Oh and here is the Dream Divers game Toy is mentioning above LOL

screen2.jpg

qupe1975

Neo Member
I didn't really get Retro Arcade Adventure. I felt like I'd seen literally everything the game had to offer within five seconds.

Not quite everything but give it half an hour and you'd have completed the arcade and adventure modes....well bar the one arcade mode which is a constant onslaught of mummies and doesn't ever seem to end.

Super Ninja Warrior Extreme seemed ok until I got to level 8 in the demo. That looks like it will be one bitch of a game. I'd like to know how many levels there are.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Retro Arcade Adventure: It seems decently fun. Overall nice graphics, catchy music, and fun powerups. I like the fact it has a quest plus score-running arcadey mode, adds a bit more viability to the overall product.

Ogre's Phantasm Sword Quest: Man, I want this to be like an "EDF with Swords!" Like that one Wii game from a few years back, or something like Drakenguard... It's more of a boss rush (going by the trial) with some awkward controls.

The game constantly stops and pauses when it first loads the stage, as if it's cache'n info, but after that, it'll load returns swiftly.

Attack combo is HORRIBLE. It has HUGE pauses in between strikes, and isn't responsive at all. BUT, that doesn't matter too much in the end...

You see, the point of the game is to get to the Ogre's head / weakpoint, leap up, and stab it. At first, this feels horrible, like you'll never be able to do this, unless he ducks...

... but then you realize that doing this jump-downstab to normal enemies allows you to super-jump off them. Each hit this way causes your sword to glow. Keep on doing it, and you'll continue to gain height, and maybe attack strength.

Use this to attack the Orge in the head, until you break his helmet, and then attack him this way again, until you win!

It's fairly fun, and I'd really be a fan of it, if it was polished up some. I'd love to see the game get a block button, tighter melee controls, and maybe something like a ground dash? It'd really make it flow better.

Trumpets

Despite its mega-generic title, Super Ninja Warrior Extreme is really good. Effectively it's Super Meat Boy with snappy combat, and it doesn't do much wrong as far as I can tell - tight controls and good level design go a long way with games like this. It gets hard pretty quickly mind you, and there don't seem to be any checkpoints, but you reset instantly after death so it does right by its difficulty.

Despite its mega-generic title, Super Ninja Warrior Extreme is really good. Effectively it's Super Meat Boy with snappy combat, and it doesn't do much wrong as far as I can tell - tight controls and good level design go a long way with games like this. It gets hard pretty quickly mind you, and there don't seem to be any checkpoints, but you reset instantly after death so it does right by its difficulty.

Hah, I just played that literally seconds ago and was coming here to say pretty much the same thing. I really liked it, it feels a bit like they left some placeholder art in by mistake though. The moving platforms are a bit... wrong. Reminds me a bit of the 8bits fanatics stuff.

Spoids seems to be a pretty nice Tower Defence game, it has double-wide pathways for the creeps which makes things pretty hectic and changes the way you have to play it. Unfortunately, it does this bizarre thing where despite being grid based, the cursor does not snap to the grid if you use the analogue stick. I'll get over it, but it's annoying.

Oh, and UK finally got the marketplace update. Go check that out

Gaspode_T

LOL, I wonder if that was related to my Famicom cart bribe or not.

Techno Kitten Adventure has zoomed up the sales charts (it's even beating DLC quest which DLC Quest guy said is doing something like 250 sales per day, and TKA is 240 pts) - has anyone played this one? I have the trial ready to go

I played the game "My Cat vs Zombies" because I thought the screens looked cute, and yeah...it's pretty cute game, the twin stick is more like Ikari Warriors or something because you don't turn around when moving the left stick, I impatiently walked a bunch to the right on the map and ran out of ammo right before getting mobbed by like 500 zombies at once. Seems like it's a 1 hour game or something but probably worth a buck if you like cute cat pictures.

screen2.jpg

Gaspode_T

Proud and pleased to reveal that I've joined DaveVoyles and the team at Armless Octopus. My first piece is a review of Retro Arcade Adventure.

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2012/03/19/retro-arcade-adventure-review-satiating-the-retro-itch/

I am rooting you guys on! My only complaint or advice about the site is the header, I don't know if there's a way to make a better logo than the purple octopus guy there now..it's cute but maybe a little too cartoony (it's not Retro, not realistic...so doesn't fit theme very well) if anything the Mega Man Character Faces Trend thing some of the XBLIG community is doing on Twitter makes more sense as a marketing tactic, the XBLIG sites really need to band together and drive traffic to each other :)

I hate to say it but 99% of gamers out there probably wouldn't even use the term "XBLIG" - even people at Microsoft don't really use it or would know what it is. "Xbox Indie Games" is probably more common search query, so be sure to SEO the page to try to get in rankings for queries like that.

Probably would make sense to cover all sorts of indie topics and platforms, kind of like gamesetwatch did.

We created the logo over 2 years ago, but didn't put much time into it at the time. We probably should reconsider upgrading a bit though, I agree. Our cards, RSS feed, and other items say "We love indies," as that is what we cover (PSN, XBLIG, XBLA, PC Indie) but for the most part we lean heavily towards XBLIG. The problem was that we can only fit so much info on cards or a headline, so we just stuck with XBLIG, instead of Xbox Indie Games.

Gaspode_T

20 Games to Play with Mates is a pretty amazing value...they are all decently real feeling games so it is like 5 cents per game...the way it is put together is very polished...most of them can be played single player but some can't .. Focus is on local multiplayer, would be great for that

I picked up the Super Ninja Warrior Extreme game, it really is good too

Finally I got a game called Octopede that is like a snake game meets geo wars meets ... Uh .. Shooting game with dash of Jeff minter ... I like it but maybe try it first, the controls are more free form than most snake games

The main advice I can give you about ArmlessOctopus is to get people to link to the site with different hyperlink text! Edit: Maybe just make the octopus pixelated / retro style, sounds trivial but might help build a hipster / indie image :p

Techno Kitten Adventure has zoomed up the sales charts (it's even beating DLC quest which DLC Quest guy said is doing something like 250 sales per day, and TKA is 240 pts) - has anyone played this one? I have the trial ready to go

When you choose Indie on the marketplace, there's a big TKA advert right there, basically the first thing your eye's drawn to. That'll explain the jump in sales. I didn't like it much, really. It's style over substance. Basically it's the helicopter game but with flashing lights so that half the time you can't see what's happening. Asteroids Do Concern Me is far, far better. And funnier

That 20 games thing is lame, I thought all but two of them were awful, and even those two weren't brilliant.

OnPoint

When you choose Indie on the marketplace, there's a big TKA advert right there, basically the first thing your eye's drawn to. That'll explain the jump in sales. I didn't like it much, really. It's style over substance. Basically it's the helicopter game but with flashing lights so that half the time you can't see what's happening. Asteroids Do Concern Me is far, far better. And funnier

That 20 games thing is lame, I thought all but two of them were awful, and even those two weren't brilliant.

It seriously hurts my eyes. I couldn't play the trial for very long at all.

For a second I thought I had read "fill-em-up".

I'm still shocked.

That's the game after.

Anyway, I have no idea what to make of it. I mean, it's obviously rubbish but the intro made me laugh and the concept as a whole is just so silly that I like it. There's not really enough to do though. If there was a bit more game than RTLTRTLTRTLTetc I could probably justify a purchase just for the stupidity of it, but there's not really.

OnPoint

I think what upsets me about those games is how well they are presented. What other games could learn from that aspect.... Xblig would benefit greatly

Top Bottom