• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - MARCH 2012 (Hello)

OnPoint

I know you guys talked about it already, but...

Super Ninja Warrior Extreme is pretty damned awesome. The controls are perfect and the game has an excellent difficulty curve.

Full review will be up tomorrow, but I heartily recommend.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Houchi Play wins bonus points from me for apparently doing it's character sprites in full on HD pixel work; it's amazingly charming, even with such an odd subject manner.

It's not a BAD game either, really. In a way, it's very GOOD! Compared to, say, that 20 Games to Play with your Mates collection (which contains a bunch of competent ideas, but none of them seem to be polished to make them have "legs"), this one seems to have all the stuff you expect to make the product feel well-rounded, such as secondary goals and details (like the "liquid courage" minigame, sound effects that hint towards actions, fitting victory and failure states, indicators of progressions, and reasons to replay and try for the best scores).

I also love the way Kohei Gallery brings attention to their old games with each product. XBLIG's itself makes it difficult to follow a developers works, but that doesn't mean one can't take the matter into their own hands!

These games really know how to make what they offer as appealing as possible; The UI's are gorgeous, the music actually seems to be very important to them (Moe Mekuri even has a soundtrack, haha), and they're way past the amature mistakes sooooooooo many other indie games show (such as flat, lifeless backgrounds, ugly color palettes that bring no attention to the main characters, voices that don't sound as if they were recorded well, poor tiling for area creation, and forgetting to give their games a backstory as to WHY you're even playing...).

If they were to make something with more straight-forward appeal (Like a Castlevania SOTN-a-like or a more robust follow-up to Shooting Chicken Revenge), they could really be a stand-out of XBLIG's... (Maid-san's Caving Adventure doesn't count, either, lol)

screen4.jpg

screen2.jpg

Gaspode_T

The 20 Games thing is just fun because it's simple, again it's probably only fun with multiplayer

Houchi Play is getting huge amount of hype in Japan suddenly, might turn out to be a big hit. For what it's worth I've noticed all the "major" Japanese XNA devs seem to be getting PSSuite SDKs so would be interesting to see whether games like this are ported quickly.

At this point I'd just be happy if the title showed up as the game I'm playing instead of "Indie Games" or whatever it currently displays.

i thought xblig developers had access to set the game title and even add things like "playing level 1" or "battling demons in the dark dungeon" via presence...

actually, just did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2008/09/18/rich-presence-in-xna-game-studio-3-0.aspx

that's for xna 3.0, so perhaps it's changed in 4.0, but i'm pretty sure you can still get the title to show (even if it's not the first line...)

edit:

here's clarification for xna 4.0. you can have the title showing and also choose from a list of presets to describe what the player is currently doing in the game (e.g. "at the menu", "fighting the boss", etc...)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...gnedingamer.presence(v=xnagamestudio.40).aspx

Gaspode_T

Yeah, the My Cat vs Zombies game is competent... it's just a cute little game IMO, the dev seems to be one of the veterans of the XNA scene from seeing his profile on the developer forums (he has a ton of posts etc). I like the choices of power ups when you level up. It would have been nice to have more variety in the environments, maybe there is more later I only played for 20 mins or so.

If Team Shuriken is reading this a guy on 2ch is literally begging for the dev to add feature where illustration of girl comes up when you have a Game Over in Dream Divers, he said it would officially be "kami game" (Godlike game) if that's added.

Ranger X

My review for Super Ninja Warrior Extreme should tell you what you already know: The full version of this game is awesome and worth your time

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2012/03/21/super-ninja-warrior-extreme-review-super-awesome-ninjas/

Also, I'll be damned if that shooter about the dude's cat isn't good. It has all the makings of the usual XBLIG shovelware, but it's anything but. What a nice surprise.

It's definetely on my shopping list now. I tried it and it's awesome.

I like RACING WINGS a lot.

You fly a plane through gates, you have to be horizontal through blue gates (going straight ahead) and vertical through red gates (which you do by turning left/right). Purple gates, doesn't matter. Getting to the end of a course isn't challenging but getting decent medals and decent times is pretty addictive. You earn money to upgrade your plane by passing gates, and by collecting rings which makes the sound effect you'd expect it to.

Oh, and somehow, it's only 3MB. That really impresses me, for no real reason.

If ever a game could use a proper tutorial, Bit-Hacker is it. It's all total nonsense. It makes so little sense that I can't even work out how to use the help function.

i've made a few mentions of the fact that i am currently working on an xblig (i think it's going to iOS as well) and, although the game is very, very early, i've decided to share some artwork here on neogaf. it's just a frame of animation from the game, but you get an idea of the art style and level of quality we're striving for:

tj1.png

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^^Nice! Can't wait to see it in motion.

The Houchi Play wins bonus points from me for apparently doing it's character sprites in full on HD pixel work; it's amazingly charming, even with such an odd subject manner.
screen4.jpg

screen2.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this game available in english? I am keen to check it out.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yup, very nice! Looking forward to see how that all comes together. Too rare for us to see some HQ 2D in IGs, and it's great to see styles with great personality.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this game available in english? I am keen to check it out.

Yup. Kohei Gallery games seem to always have english and japanese translations in each game. All story-critical stuff willl have a translation (including game opening and menu and option stuff), though a few minor items may remain in JP.

The new update to Brand is pretty good.

Any list as to what has changed? I enjoyed Brand's beginnings, if it's improved, sounds great.

Gaspode_T

Brand updates from ninedotstudios.com

Here’s a list of what we changed in the update:

- Drastically improved the framerate
- Reduced loading times by about half
- Implemented the content related to our RocketHub contributions (custom statues, loading quotes)
- The hero no longer bounces on the monsters when falling on them, it pushes them instead
- It is now easier to switch side while attacking with quick attacks
- It is also easier to turn around in mid air while doing quick attacks
- Added a special reward when completing all 10 floors of the final arena
- Changed the title screen and main menu
- Loading quotes are now cycling every 10 seconds during loading
- The presentation of the quest texts has been improved
- Added a “normal” difficulty mode in which health drops are more frequent
- Demon blood has an attack rate twice as fast as before, but hits at half strength
- Sharpen now also decrease a little the delay between dashes or teleportations
- Fixed a crash that occurred when the player backed off a menu at the end of the game
- Fixed an issue with fluffy flies in the arena going through a wall
- Many other fixes of minor bugs

Rock Bottom is the latest game from Baller Industries, it's another of the point and click style games with art and lots of voice acting, quite crude from the 5 mins I played it so if lots of swearing floats your boat ... technically there has always been a market for games like these with the Leisure Suit Larry games

i thought xblig developers had access to set the game title and even add things like "playing level 1" or "battling demons in the dark dungeon" via presence...

actually, just did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2008/09/18/rich-presence-in-xna-game-studio-3-0.aspx

that's for xna 3.0, so perhaps it's changed in 4.0, but i'm pretty sure you can still get the title to show (even if it's not the first line...)

edit:

here's clarification for xna 4.0. you can have the title showing and also choose from a list of presets to describe what the player is currently doing in the game (e.g. "at the menu", "fighting the boss", etc...)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...gnedingamer.presence(v=xnagamestudio.40).aspx

Yes, you can do this. Sadly, very few developers take the time to implement it.

Yes, you can do this. Sadly, very few developers take the time to implement it.

There is presence stuff you can setup. I did it in my early games, never bothered with the later ones. I believe it still just displays the game title as Indie Games or something of that nature. And XBLIG games are never displayed as games you've been recently playing to others.

Is this the slowest moving xblig thread in GAF history?

Tomorrow, all being well, I'll be doing a little modelling and texturing tutorial via updates on Twitter. You can check it out by following @FirebaseIND Will probably start before 9:00am PST

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought Orbitron the other day immediately after playing the trial but haven't picked it up again, I think I will tonite. Was really impressed with what I played though, kudos Warm Machine, I can't wait to see what your team will do in the future.

OnPoint

Is this the slowest moving xblig thread in GAF history?

Tomorrow, all being well, I'll be doing a little modelling and texturing tutorial via updates on Twitter. You can check it out by following @FirebaseIND Will probably start before 9:00am PST
No crazy developer quotes, Microsoft hasn't made any weird policy or dash changes, yeah, it's been a little too quiet

I can't tell if The Houchi Play recommendations are a joke or not. Played a couple minutes and found it embarrassing.

Edit: Guess not. Played a bit more, and it's terrible. Sorry, bit tired atm. :p

That retro-styled Ninja platforming game's pretty neat though.

I just played Spoids today. That game was done extremely well, and has some great presentation. Everything is voiced over, the graphics are pretty, and it walks you through the game without making you feel like a complete idiot.

It's a tower defense game, so if that's your kind of thing, then this one is definitely for you.

EDIT: Thanks for the heads up Toy. There was no "L" in there.

I just played Sploids today. That game was done extremely well, and has some great presentation. Everything is voiced over, the graphics are pretty, and it walks you through the game without making you feel like a complete idiot.

It's a tower defense game, so if that's your kind of thing, then this one is definitely for you.

Yeah, Spoids (no L) is good. I really like how you only have to complete one objective per level to move on, so it's perfect for beginner players but gives advanced players something more to play for. It's very, very well made, and right up there with the best this month.

Gaspode_T

I could drop any number of megatons in here but I enjoy being employed and earning money

One thing I can say pretty much as a fact....the greater world does not know the term "XBLIG", I don't know if I can point a finger to blame at a single person for that one but popularizing that term...beyond...this...thread, would go a loooong way in helping out the service (and people who try to run review websites and get money from ad clicks)

Maybe "Xbox Indie Games" is the better term to use for the average joe to want to check it out...just a bit long and bad for Twitter hashtags

"Xbox N17 Games" is definitely not my preferred naming

Mandoric

Banned
Is there any way to flip how Picbox 's numbers work (or I guess, the mark/break behavior?) Mark the number/break everything else is costing me a miss or two a puzzle just from being too used to Picross.

Trumpets

toythatkills said:
Oh man, there is no way I'm buying Apple Jack 2 after this!

I'd suggest you go further and start a massive, global internet campaign persuading people to boycott the game. I mustn't be allowed to get away with this.

Santiako

Is there any way to flip how Picbox 's numbers work (or I guess, the mark/break behavior?) Mark the number/break everything else is costing me a miss or two a puzzle just from being too used to Picross.

No, it can't be switched. It costed me a little to adjust to that too, it's the only negative thing of the game.

modelcomplete.jpg

The Twitter Modelling and texturing tutorial is going well. Started at 9:30am today. Just taking a break and will pick it back up tomorrow. For updates follow @FirebaseIND

Racedrome Offroad is the slooooooowest raaaaacing gaaaaame I've eeeeever plaaaaaayed. It could be quite good aside from that, but it's so incredibly boring that it's difficult to get excited about it. Also, I occasionally crashed into something in the middle of the track that wasn't actually even there. Invisible walls, in the middle of tracks. Yeah.

Wanderer holds the new record for quickest Code 4. I pressed start to begin, it Code 4d on me. I loaded it again and it's a nice idea, terribly executed. It's basically a 2D Mario Galaxy, but with awful controls. Left and right don't move you left and right. Again, yeah.

I'm enjoying Spoids more the more I play it. Probably GotM for me. Loads of little touches, like how in the pretend email system that you get your missions from, all the dates are correct but 500 years in the future.

Gaspode_T

I bought Racing Wings, it really is pretty fun and well made, although a bit counterintuitive to fly straight against the line but then have to be vertical or horizontal for certain gates (in other words, people might be too stupid to 'get it')

It reminds me more of playing a top down Wave Race N64 or something than a flying game. Check it out if that perks your attention up.

I bought Racing Wings, it really is pretty fun and well made, although a bit counterintuitive to fly straight against the line but then have to be vertical or horizontal for certain gates (in other words, people might be too stupid to 'get it')

Yeah, I had to play the tutorial level twice to get that, I missed the thing that told me how to be vertical/horizontal and thought I'd missed a button or something. I like it though, it forces you to plan a route much more cleverly than you otherwise would as well as releasing the accelerator, and it feels like upgrading your turning, etc, will really improve your times.

callitdone.jpg

Here is where the tutorial more or less ended off. There is more to discuss in terms of how the texturing was done but it was pretty cool to knock off a 3d model in about 12 hours top to bottom.

That said, I could pixel fuck the texture on this thing for a good day or two to make it perfect, as it needs some more detail and wear. For indie game art though I'd love it if this was the minimum for 3D XBLIGs.

Gaspode_T

You should probably cross post that to the indy game dev thread if you haven't already!

Has anyone tried Bytown Lumberjack? It seems to be getting good reviews (star ratings). Castle Crashers meets forest creatures (and chain saws)

nayrac

I know I'm super late but here are some free passes to my game, Solar Hoops.

H98TK-V6RXJ-9HBGR-WB4H2-92B28
FPJTX-VQ6B4-FM4W4-9WXMT-MWM3B
JJDYM-D7H6C-C7YR8-X877F-H2W9Q
JTVCJ-K9J9W-78TBP-HX6DG-8B2XT
HMJKH-K4XDP-8FJMG-R6B8Q-V8M3J
W3QWG-DYQY3-BJ46M-Q796J-YY2XY
W46PF-9RD2T-XKVFP-DQJQX-2GWDQ
J3YDR-F89DM-622DB-663P2-WHRQT
M7DK2-HC6VM-X7G98-KR89P-HT7HJ
XMD2Q-22P24-8HY3K-WGY7H-C9VHM

Feep

Banned
callitdone.jpg

Here is where the tutorial more or less ended off. There is more to discuss in terms of how the texturing was done but it was pretty cool to knock off a 3d model in about 12 hours top to bottom.

That said, I could pixel fuck the texture on this thing for a good day or two to make it perfect, as it needs some more detail and wear. For indie game art though I'd love it if this was the minimum for 3D XBLIGs.
You love 45 degree angles. = D

You love 45 degree angles. = D

Yup. :) Because they are fast/easy to model and easy to texture (poly lasso in photoshop snaps to 45s!). Also, they lend themselves to sci-fi really well and take up very few polys when modelled. I have no problem doing models with curves though.

Top Bottom