• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - MARCH 2012 (Hello)

Bqccm.png

Hey GAF. Thanks for having me back.

Hey guys. Sorry for getting banned. But hey! On with the show! I’m back just in time for another kind of lame month, after a few pretty good months while I was away. There’s a small chance that I’m cursed. I should probably be banned again so that XBLIG turns good. (Please don’t ban me. Look at Flappy. Look how happy I am to be back!)

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

HELP! Xbox LIVE Indie Games aren’t available in my country!

Yes they are! Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s incredibly simple, and absolutely worth doing.

W92gS.png

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

Picbox is Picross, basically. Umm, there’s not really much else to say as far as gameplay goes, other than that it controls really well and has some neat features like a counter that means you don’t have to do the counting yourself if, you know, you hate counting.

HnIXS.jpg

Where Picbox really shines is in its presentation.

It has great music and great sound effects, and as you solve a puzzle the background (which scrolls) changes alongside the changes you make in the puzzle. It’s a nice effect and as Picross games go, this really is as good as it’s going to get on a controller.

It does commit the cardinal sin of penalising you for making mistakes (instead of just letting you carry on, oblivious) but that just means DON'T MAKE MISTAKES!

owc0O.jpg

For your dollar, you get 100 puzzles with a three-star rating system, and a bunch of awardments to unlock. The puzzles come with varying degrees of difficulty.

(NB: if you downloaded this before and had issues with long loading times, there’s an update already out that fixes them; it’s super-smooth now!)

0zpx0.png

The Silver award, for games that are great, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner.

Grey Infection doesn’t look like much, really. It certainly has its signature style but I’m not a massive fan of it. It doesn’t control that well either. Where the game shines is in its concept.

T0NTa.jpg

There are a number of floating orbs in a level, and shooting them makes the level change. Some of them make platforms appear, some of them make platforms disappear. You have to work out what shooting each orb does, then you have to shoot them in the correct order and from the correct place to ensure that you can reach the exit (which only appears when you’ve shot them all).

And that’s why I can forgive its controls, really. It’s not a platformer, even though it takes place on platforms. It’s a puzzle game at its heart, and it’s a unique one at that. The platforming it asks you to do isn’t something that requires precision so even though the controls are a bit tight, it doesn’t cause many issues. No, the thrust of the game here is in working out how to get to the end of a level, rather than getting there.

=================

UBERZOMBIE USA commits so many sins. It’s a twin-stick shooter, of a kind. It has zombies in it. It should surely be fast-tracked to the bottom of the barrel, right?

Weirdly, wrong.

QMn4Q.jpg

Mainly, UBERZOMBIE USA is a tower defence game. You place various things around your farm during the daytime, landmines, fences, general hazards and by night, waves of zombies come. You can either watch your defences take them down, or help them along by shooting them, which is where the twin stick controls come in. They feel kind of stiff and don’t work that well, but the tower defence aspect is quite strong, as is the presentation, and so it’s easy to forgive it.

The presentation and art style in general is great. It’s one of those looks that is incredibly hard to pull off, which is to say that it looks a mess but it looks like it’s intentionally a mess, rather than just looking like it was made by someone with no artistic talent. Chester gets this right, too, and that looks awesome too.

=================

a Voxel Action, despite its curious capitalisation, is a great game.

Step one, though, is to change the camera. The default camera is some peculiar 45-degree thing that lets you see basically none of the level and makes it difficult to judge jumps correctly. Change it to the classic camera and you’ll suddenly realise you’re playing a Mario game.

With Link!

eeuPU.jpg

That’s not strictly true, really. While the influences are clear to see, there’s a lot more going on here. You’ve got a huge level, and you can do nothing because you are weak. You have to explore the level, jumping on springs, collecting coins, breaking boxes and finding keys to open chests that award you new skills, and then you can use these new skills to progress. It’s MetroidVania, in a way.

The graphics are nice, it turns out that voxels are kinda pretty when you’re not looking at another Minecraft clone and smashing your face against the wall until all that’s left is a bloody mess.

Any game influenced by Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Castlevania can’t possibly be bad, can it? This one certainly isn’t.

oFKKi.png

Bronze Award winners don’t represent the best games out this month, but every one of these has some really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying, or is more than good enough to warrant a trial. It’s for games that are worth talking about.

ことのね~ゲーム・アセンブル・ガール~ only got a release in Japan, and to be honest, it’s completely unplayable if you don’t know Japanese. Which I don’t. As far as I can tell, you have to sort lyrics into the right order in real time, as a singer sings them. You won’t be able to play it, then, but it sounds really lovely, and I kind of love it just because the artist put XNA logos into the singer’s eyes which was adorable.

O.C.D. is a kind of match-three game, you collect gems to level up your character which lets you collect gems for longer. I’ve seen Gaspode_T talking about it a fair bit, and I can see where he’s coming from. There’s definitely something there, but it lacks something too. For me, it lacks peril. There’s no real consequences to your actions, so you just keep hitting the same buttons over and over. Dungeon Raid on iOS takes this similar concept but contains peril. I’m not sure that lose-conditions are the point of O.C.D., but as it is there’s just nothing to keep me playing.

Kingdom is the most boring looking game you’ll ever see. Seriously. Look at the screenshots of it. Asleep much? It’s actually fun to play, though. You have tiny grids split into different territories, and you can capture these territories by moving chess pieces onto them. The chess pieces move like traditional chess pieces, and can capture enemy pieces like them too. Your goal is to capture as much of the board as you can which lets you earn more money, and then you can spend that money on better chess pieces which you can use to ultimately capture the enemy. It’s a really nice take on chess mechanics that makes it feel nothing at all like chess but yet still really strategic.

Gravitas wasn’t what I was expecting. I was expecting a twin-stick but it’s actually some kind of turn-based shooter… thing. You and a few other players are on a screen, and you just have to shoot at each other. There are planets in the way, though, so you have to use their gravity fields to curve your shots. You can also choose not to shoot and warp instead, to really throw someone off. Not great in single-player, but in multiplayer it’s well worth a look.

Nuage is okay, in a way. I like the concept. It’s just a relax-em-up, you control a cloud and collect other clouds, and when you have enough you can make it rain which makes flowers grow and leaves grow on the trees. It’s all very Zen. There are some nice graphical touches, like how the screen gets darker the more clouds you collect and the closer you get to launching rainageddon, but overall the game is just… ugly. Or, that is to say, it’s not even close to pretty enough to achieve what it wants to achieve.

Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 3 came out. You’ll know already whether this is for you, and if you don’t yet know, you’ll want to start with the first one rather than this one!

LCD Dungeon System is far better than it looks, but its unique presentation goes some way to helping that. Imagine that you’re playing a roguelike on a Game & Watch. That’s basically it. Much more depth than there might initially appear, with this one.

Bug Ball is Slime Volleyball, in a very very pretty skin. I don’t know what else to say, other than that it’s much better with a second person rather than with the AI.

ifVQZ.png

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Seriously. No links. There are a lot of bad games on Xbox LIVE Indie Games, but this section is reserved only for games so atrocious or fundamentally flawed that they actually anger me.

My favourite bit of Union of Armstrong was when I paused the game and the game stopped, apart from the power gauge which carried on ticking down even though everything else wasn’t moving. When I came back, I was playing a tower defence game in which none of my towers were operational because they’d run out of power. Genius.

Cell: emergence was created by one of the minds behind Deus Ex. Development on Deus Ex went something like this: one team of people made the game, and another team of people explained to the player how they were supposed to play the fucking thing. The developer of this game was on the first team.

Instead of playing Angry Fish: Deep Sea, I went down the actual sea and drowned myself in it. I then came back to life to rate the experience of drowning to death two stars. I then rated Angry Fish: Deep Sea one star.

If there’s one constant about Xbox LIVE Indie Games, it’s that twin-stick shooters will never fail to amaze me. “They will never get worse than this one,” I say every month. Then the next month, Space Battles comes out.

The Never Ending Game 2. Surely pointless? If the first game is still going on, why would we need a sequel? I certainly can’t fault the developer’s claim, though. You control a marble and have to fall through holes to keep low down as the screen constantly rises. I held left, then I held right, then I held left, then I held right. I repeated this pattern over and over again for the entire length of the trial and didn’t even come close to losing.

Bullets that are near impossible to avoid? Check! Enemies that are near impossible to hit? Check! One enemy every five minutes or so? Check! Fighter Mission really does have everything.

Octogenarian VIP. Please buy our game based on its silly title, don’t worry about the graphics which were drawn by a blind orphan, or the gameplay which was coded by a man who thinks MENSA is “that one that sends rockets into the up-high.”

If you’re going to make a text adventure game, there’s one thing you need to be able to do. Write goodly. The developers of The Impossible Dungeon can’t write goodly. Literally the very first sentence in the game is this: “You are a very sad King that wants to regain his castle.” Either I’m the object of that sentence or I’m not. I am a very sad king who wants to regain my castle. How hard is that?

Fuck Zombie Invasion. You fire a gun for ages, then half way through the trial you change guns, and trying to fire the new gun brings up the purchase screen. This shit should be banned. The “purchase” button should not be on the only button you’re actually using to play the game in a shady attempt to generate accidental purchases. Sorry, but any game that does this is an automatic fail. Fuck Zombie Invasion.

tCd28.png

A small section for games that have been updated somehow, either with new content or with a brand new price! This section will only bother with games that are worth buying, so if it’s in here, assume that it’s excellent and that you should own it.

- Beat Hazard, a twin stick that generates enemies based on your own custom soundtrack, cut its price from 400 Microsoft Points to 80 Microsoft Points.

- Orbitron: Revolution, a side scrolling shooter with super-pretty graphics (and GAF made) cut its price from 240 Microsoft Points to 80 Microsoft Points.

- Little Racers STREET, a top-down racer, added multiplayer and leaderboards, and then it updated again and added time trials too!

- EvilQuest, an action-RPG, added difficulty modes, as well as a few other tweaks for a better overall experience.

- Growing Pains, a 2D platformer in which the world evolves as you grow bigger, cut its price from 240 Microsoft Points to 80 Microsoft Points.

- Escape Goat, a platformer with a puzzle aspect to it, cut its price from 240 Microsoft Points to 80 Microsoft Points.

- There was an update to BloodyCheckers too, though I’m not sure what was updated. I only picked it up this month after hearing a fair bit about it all of a sudden!

T1P1i.png

The last couple of months have seen some amazing racing games come out on XBLIG, and I’ve not been here to rave about them so how about a top five list of XBLIG racing games, eh?

Little Racers STREET is in my top-three XBLIGs ever, so, so easily.

Ac7Gs.jpg

Find out why in its very own thread!

=================

Magic Racing GP 2 is the sequel to Magic Racing GP, a game that came out for about fourteen seconds before it was pulled due to one of the marketplace’s regular crap-outs. So in the meantime, the developer figured he’d add a bunch of extra content and turn it into a completely essential top-down Formula One game.

There’s a definite theme in these racing games mainly being top-down, as well. You want to try playing all the proper ones. Every single one of them is awful.

EYH8X.jpg

Anyway, though, MRGP2. What you get here is an insanely deep, insanely fun, insanely customisable Formula One game, with go-karts. The go-karts are an added extra and to be honest, kind of lame. Where the game really shines is in its F1.

The first thing to do is ditch the analogue controls. This is retro gaming at its finest and it plays better when you just accept that. None of this trigger nonsense, you want A to accelerate, X to brake, and you want steering on the D-pad. It’s the only way, and it honestly feels so much better. Compare them, you’ll see.

You can edit team names. You can edit driver names. You can edit how many points you get for winning a race. You can race seven laps or seventy. You can qualify, or not. You can use KERS, or not. Tyres degrade, fuel runs out, your car falls to bits, or not. You really can play this game however you want. It can be an incredibly deep F1 sim, or it can be a really light race around a few of your favourite tracks, all of which are in here in beautiful top-down.

There are some lovely graphical touches, the way you can see the wheels on the cars turning as you steer, for example. It’s such a tiny motion that most people won’t even notice it, and I love that it happens anyway. Here’s a developer that wanted to make the best F1 game he could make, and he has.

The racing, of course, is where it really shines. It feels wonderful. The cars are really grippy, and if you judge the speed well you can sweep around corners in a way that can only be described as beautiful. Seriously, getting through a chicane perfectly in this game is one of my favourite things to do in any XBLIG, it’s incredibly satisfying. There’s just something lovely about how it feels, how at one with the road the car is. That, or you can misjudge it, fly off the road and have to abort the lap. That happens too.

There are so many tracks and cars and options that this game is basically essential for any fan of F1 or the racing genre in general. It’s really that good.

=================

I wrote about MotorHEAT a few months back; here’s what I said:

MotorHEAT is a racing game of sorts, as you can tell from the screenshot. It’s not so much about the driving as it is the avoiding, though! You auto accelerate and your job is just to move left and right to avoid traffic.

Of course, there’s more to it than that. Avoiding traffic by the smallest of margins will increase your boost meter (RT) and then you can go even faster, scoring more points.

c4nb4.jpg

It’s a score attack game, this. You just score as much as you can before time runs out, getting extra time for passing checkpoints and points for distance, overtaking cars, using boost, and all sorts.

What I love most is the risk/reward, which is just awesome. You get more boost and more points for passing cars within mere centimetres and with boost activated, but then there’s a huge risk of crashing and being penalised ten seconds. Do you dare get closer? Do you dare? It’s brilliant.

Also brilliant is the online leaderboard (Gold only and peer-to-peer) which updates your position as you race, telling you how many points you need to move up to another position in the overall leaderboard.

It’s just great, this. Totally great.

=================

Flowrider, as you can see, is another top-down racer, and yet again it’s completely different to Little Racers STREET and Magic Racing. For a few reasons, too.

First is the obvious one, it takes place on water. This gives a different feel as you have to drift around corners and you never feel completely in control, but in a good way. Like, you have to consider the water as much as you do your own craft. Oh, and that water? Utterly gorgeous. This is one you really want to see in motion.

Second is the track layouts. LRS and MRGP2 have very rigid layouts, where here there are a bunch of shortcuts. They’re not hidden away but they’re thin and hard to get into (Swiss Toni) and it really makes you race in a different way.

rRViu.jpg

And then there’s the controls. There’s no accelerate or brake, here. Instead you just use the analogue stick and point where you want to go. It sounds a bit weird for a racing game, but it feels totally natural and with the way the vehicles react to the water, it feels totally right, too.

=================

Halfbrick Rocket Racing, then. Maybe a controversial choice as it’s very different to every racing game you’ve ever played and it takes a fair bit of time to even become competent at the game, let alone actually good at it.

JgKiP.jpg

Halfbrick Rocket Racing, as the name might suggest, has a pretty big focus on rocket propulsion. You have RT to fire the right one, and LT to fire the left one, and pressing either one will spin you around. Press both together to go forwards. The game plays with this some more, by surrounding the tracks with walls. If you thrust against a wall you go even faster, and this is the key to getting gold medals and insanely fast times.

It will take some practice, though. There’s a more “traditional” control scheme using the analogue stick but for me, if you want the really good times, I reckon you’re going to need to master the RT/LT method. The controls are analogue and they give scope for such precision that none of the other control schemes can really compete. Will it be easy? Hell no. Will it be fun? Oh, aye.

===========================

Have fun, and if you’re playing an Indie Game you love, don’t forget to tell people about it, because it’s only through you that the service thrives.

Previous threads, where all the older stuff lives:

The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of January 2012 | EvilQuest
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of December 2011 | Orbitron Revolution
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of November 2011 | Volchaos
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of October 2011 | No GotM
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of September 2011 | The Fall of Gods
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of August 2011 | Train Frontier Express
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of July 2011 | Protect Me Knight
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of June 2011 | Rainbow Runner
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of May 2011 | Sequence
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of April 2011 | LaserCat
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of March 2011 | Solve It - Pack 1
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of February 2011 | Ninja360°
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of January 2011 | Bonded Realities
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of December 2010 | Score Rush
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of November 2010 | The TEMPURA of the DEAD
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of October 2010 | radiangames Fluid
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of September 2010 | Hypership Out of Control
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of August 2010 | Gravitron 360
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of July 2010 | PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of June 2010 | Old School Racer
The (old) XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Releases this month by date:

February 1st

L.A.R.A
LCD Dungeon System

February 2nd

Brand
Bug Ball

February 3rd

MXHD
Hardboiled Pinball
Katana Land
Miner Style

February 4th

a Voxel Action
Space Pirate Adventures
Kingdom
Marathon Monk
Picbox

February 7th

ことのね~ゲーム・アセンブル・ガール~

February 9th

Cell: emergence
Grey Infection
Union of Armstrong
Atom

February 10th

Balloon Guard
The Never Ending Game 2
Pedro

February 11th

Skimmer Patrol
Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 3

February 12th

FatSheep
Alexander Learning Series 360
Super Zombie Smash
WineHead
Nuage

February 13th

FPS Trainer

February 14th

Toy Stunt Bike 2

February 16th

Space Battles

February 17th

O.C.D.
Angry Fish: Deep Sea

February 18th

Space Command
Living Dead: Upgraded

February 19th

Gravitas
Evan Quest
PerturBirds

February 20th

Little Strategy
PigMan
Denizen's Den

February 21st

Cro-Mag Rally® Extreme!
The Impossible Dungeon

February 22nd

Octogenarian VIP
UBERZOMBIE USA
Boxed In
Zombie Invasion
Fighter Mission

February 23rd

Red Tie Miner Zombie

February 27th

zombie crossing
SOLAR ANNIHILATION

February 29th WHAT IS THIS STRANGE DATE I DO NOT UNDERSTAND?!

Rectangle Battle

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
toythat'sunbanned, welcome back :)

Love the update section, great way to keep track of what solid games become even more solid!

Hope some good stuff comes out this month. Minus Orbitron's awesome dashboard attention, the past few days have been pretty dull on XBLIGs... maybe they fear ME3 and SFxT, haha...

Nyx

Just to be sure, I can setup a US account, buy US MSP, and buy these indie games for playing them on my EU 360 ?

Cheers guys, I missed you all!

Hope some good stuff comes out this month. Minus Orbitron's awesome dashboard attention, the past few days have been pretty dull on XBLIGs... maybe they fear ME3 and SFxT, haha...

I think leap day broke XBLIGs, as well. A game appeared on xna.com yesterday morning, and just didn't come out to buy. Looking at xbox.com, it's still not available even now! A game that came out after it is showing on xbox.com though.

Just to be sure, I can setup a US account, buy US MSP, and buy these indie games for playing them on my EU 360 ?

Yep, you absolutely can.

qupe1975

Neo Member
Welcome back TTK, but why have you brought the bad games back.... thank god for some of these cracking price reductions (although grr to some I paid 240pts for)

I enjoyed PICBOX, although I haven't tried it post patch, before the loading was a little tedious for me. I need to go back and see if the patch corrected this.

As for Grey Infection, I didn't click with it at all. I like what they were trying but some of the levels in the trial just left me bored... fire oops wrong order, retry.... oops did it again.

As for your comments about Bloody Checkers, the developer is putting so much effort into the game it's unreal. He keeps releasing patches adding new content. Hours of gameplay in the game too. I think he said 20+ He posts in the Cheap Arse Gamer thread.

aku:jiki

You can do that, but you haven't needed to for like 3 years. The indie games are on the EU marketplace too. Hard to find in the dashboard, but there.

Nyx

You can do that, but you haven't needed to for like 3 years. The indie games are on the EU marketplace too. Hard to find in the dashboard, but there.

I should probably have said I live in The Netherlands, and here the indie MP is not available.

But instead of making a US Account and buying US MSP, I could also just make a UK tag and use my own MSP to buy the games I guess ?!

robatw

you have to upload points on the new (for example UK ) account. you can't use points from your main account. (but yeah you can buy EU Points instead of US points)

aku:jiki

I should probably have said I live in The Netherlands, and here the indie MP is not available.

But instead of making a US Account and buying US MSP, I could also just make a UK tag and use my own MSP to buy the games I guess ?!
Wow, why doesn't NL get indie games? That's bullshit! But, yeah, UK points should work - I always use UK points on my swedish account.

Ranger X

I love those threads. There's always a game that completely fell off my radar.

This time its Magic Racing GP 2.

Gaspode_T

I'm kind of seeing that most people who complain about lack of indie game availability in certain countries are not really reaching anyone who can do something about the situation, my only suggestion is to try to raise the feedback in a way that is more likely to be surveyed somehow by a member of Xbox team (tweeting to a public figurehead of Xbox team like the person who rhymes with Taybor Jelson might be a decent idea to try, or one of the poor community managers, or even XboxSupport). If it means anything I can confirm that yes they do sort of roll up feedbacks and look through them, even things submitted to the xbox.com website.

Personally I understand why releasing unrated content in a place like Australia is a problem (because as far as I know it's considered illegal there to have unrated games like that, I'm not 100% sure of the law details...), some of these other countries I am not sure about but who knows what sort of hoops need to be jumped through to tick the service on.

Back to games, I checked if Orbitron is selling or not and it seems to at least be ranking on the charts now (although still a little lower than I hoped)

Welcome back Toys!

I'm not sure why XBLIG isn't available in other countries, I wish it was. I though it may have been about unrated content but WP7 games (also unrated) are available in many more countries. I'd guess it's just lack of effort / motivation for MS to make those changes. The US / UK make up so much of my sales though, it's hard to see that making a big difference unless they added a lot of new countries. Though it would be nice for fans of XBLIG.

Welcome back Toy!

=FunInfusedGames;35650698]Welcome back Toys!

I'm not sure why XBLIG isn't available in other countries, I wish it was. I though it may have been about unrated content but WP7 games (also unrated) are available in many more countries.

I'm not sure why either. I always assumed it was for these reasons as well. But the laws/rules for phones may be different than that for consoles/PCs. I really don't know.

So the XBLIG companion app for WP7 is out, as of Sunday. It allows you to browse the XBLIG marketplace from your phone and download them directly to your Xbox.

I didn't have time to make a video for it, as I'm at GDC at the moment, but I will when I return.

Also, speaking of GDC: If you're here, come say hello! I'm a tall skinny guy, with big ears. I'll be giving a speech on Friday from 2:30-3:30 in room 2002. It's on the Indie Games Summer Uprising, so all XBLIG / XNA related. See you there!

For those of you attending, we'll also be having an XNA / XBLIG meetup on Thursday from 5-7 at the MS lounge bar, where all of the games are currently set up at Moscone South. You're all welcome to come!

XBLIG Companion should be getting some slick new box art sometime down the road (I'm out of the loop there).

LargePcAppTile.png

I did the original art for this (minus the basic face design) and Casey Young (the developer of the app) converted it to vector art so it can easily be scaled to all the different icon sizes needed.

Actually, today looks alright.

Astral is a puzzle game with really pretty sound, and interesting mechanics. Not sure how random it is but it really is lovely to play.

And Bit Digger came out, which is kind of MineCrafty but a third-person cartoon version, so it looks to offer something different.

Oh, and in other news there's another Team Shuriken game, so you know what that means?

(A) A random answer
(X) An equally random answer

You selected... (A)

WRONG. GO BACK TO THE VERY START OF THE GAME. DO EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN.

OnPoint

Actually, today looks alright.

Astral is a puzzle game with really pretty sound, and interesting mechanics. Not sure how random it is but it really is lovely to play.

And Bit Digger came out, which is kind of MineCrafty but a third-person cartoon version, so it looks to offer something different.

Oh, and in other news there's another Team Shuriken game, so you know what that means?

(A) A random answer
(X) An equally random answer

You selected... (A)

WRONG. GO BACK TO THE VERY START OF THE GAME. DO EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN.

I actually liked Astral quite a lot. A friend commented that it's like Eufloria

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Bought Little Racers Street and Orbitron.

Question: Is there anything out there that plays similar to Ghouls'n Ghosts? I'm seriously craving something that has 2D platforming with a fun weapon system.

I actually liked Astral quite a lot. A friend commented that it's like Eufloria

I think I'd prefer it if the planets had some kind of indicator as to their strength. At the moment they have the satellites that orbit but they're kind of unclear, so it's difficult to know whether you're strong enough to take over other planets or whether you need to defend or anything. If they had visible numerical values, you'd be able to make much better decisions.

I'm quibbling, it's really nice that aside.

OnPoint

I think I'd prefer it if the planets had some kind of indicator as to their strength. At the moment they have the satellites that orbit but they're kind of unclear, so it's difficult to know whether you're strong enough to take over other planets or whether you need to defend or anything. If they had visible numerical values, you'd be able to make much better decisions.

I'm quibbling, it's really nice that aside.

Honestly, the thing that maybe holds it back for me is the free-moving cursor. If you only have like five or six planets on the screen at a time, why not just let me scroll through them by tapping right or left.

That said, it's been a while since I've been able to focus negatively on such a small aspect of an XBLIG title and still be able to recommend the heck out of it.

Honestly, the thing that maybe holds it back for me is the free-moving cursor...

That confused me in the menu. It started off to the left of one of the options, so I pressed up and it seemed to snap to one of the other options, I kept pressing A and nothing was happening. Then I realised that it was a cursor and that I was a moron

OnPoint

That confused me in the menu. It started off to the left of one of the options, so I pressed up and it seemed to snap to one of the other options, I kept pressing A and nothing was happening. Then I realised that it was a cursor and that I was a moron

Doesn't make you a moron. I did the same thing lol

Maybe we're both morons

Gaspode_T

Normally they offer XBLA to DBP winner, but Blocks that Matter won 2011 and didn't get XBLA. I wonder what happened, maybe the Steam deal that Blocks had already blocked XBLA deal from happening. They should just take any game that deserves to be XBLA and put it on XBLA IMO, even if it's at a lower price (400 pts maybe). Microsoft should help out and help the game zoom through cert hell. This is my opinion anyway. Edit: Also if you didn't notice WP7 games are included in DBP 2012 now. Would be nice for people like the Platformance Temple Death guys who are doing pretty good indie WP7 games but not published.

Kind of a XBLIG drought lately eh? Where is They Bleed Pixels when you need it.

I'm noticing some Japanese guys on 2ch post about strange games that were released featuring ninjas lately, they seem to get a kick out of seeing ninjas placed in games. Where "a kick out of" ranges from bafflement to being slightly annoyed. One of the games is Escape Hell Prison, I haven't played it yet but it must be pretty weird to get their attention like that. The other is called "Car Wash Summer of the Ninja" ....

There are two more Minecraft clones?? Fortress Wars and Miner4Ever...

Craftimals looks kind of cute/good from screens, I have the trial downloaded and ready to go.

Normally they offer XBLA to DBP winner, but Blocks that Matter won 2011 and didn't get XBLA. I wonder what happened, maybe the Steam deal that Blocks had already blocked XBLA deal from happening. They should just take any game that deserves to be XBLA and put it on XBLA IMO, even if it's at a lower price (400 pts maybe).

I think BtM didn't get XBLA because it was already out on XBLIG by then. There's a chance all the references to other videogames would have been killed for XBLA too, they'd be forced to use blocks from Halo and Forza 4 for legal reasons. "This is a waist high block from Gears of War. Take cover!"

Fortress Wars isn't a Minecrafter, it's just a shooter in a Voxel world. Clearly the dev's taking the piss with keywords, but that's Microsoft's fault for allowing it.

It sounds like ninjas are to the Japanese what zombies are to me :)

Gaspode_T

I think they could just delist it from xblig, but I mean more like ... Give it to third place TIC then, not just skip over the year

TIC was out too, so was Solar 2 and Sequence. So if they were going to delist a game it'd be BtM, but like I say, I think they'd have had to destroy it to fit it onto XBLA so it's better that they didn't. Would've been nice if they'd given SwingSwingSub an XBLA deal for a new game, though.

Lumi won DBP, CarneyVale Showtime won DBP, neither of them made it to XBLA either. That Dust did seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Ranger X

So basically I could make an HTML5 or Javascript game and then it could be sold through the Xbox 720's store, the PC and phones? Seems nice enough for me!

Ranger X

Dear god not Java, anything but Java.

Right now HTML5 performs even less. Don't panic, if ever you play my game you won't know what code language I used. You will simply have fun (hopefully). Javascript is easy to use and I'm not fluent in Csharp or C++ enough just yet to make a game. One gotta start somewhere. It's all about making a game that "fits" with the language you use to program it.

Normally they offer XBLA to DBP winner, but Blocks that Matter won 2011 and didn't get XBLA. I wonder what happened, maybe the Steam deal that Blocks had already blocked XBLA deal from happening. They should just take any game that deserves to be XBLA and put it on XBLA IMO, even if it's at a lower price (400 pts maybe). Microsoft should help out and help the game zoom through cert hell. This is my opinion anyway.

Actually an XBLA contract hasn't been part of the DBP reward for years. The previous few winners aren't on XBLA either (Lumies I think was the one before the last one). It's up to Microsoft's discretion if they want to make a contract offer.

Top Bottom