• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One’s Game DVR, SmartMatch, NFL, TV Guide Restricted To Xbox Live Gold Members

medze

EVERY SINGLE PERSON in this thread, whether buying the PS4 or X1, will have the associated PS+ or Live Gold sub. I really don't see why you guys are still talking about this.

Except this is completely untrue. I had a XBL Gold membership for all of 6 months during this entire console cycle.

Why would i get PS+ next gen if i don't want to play multiplayer?

EVERY SINGLE PERSON in this thread, whether buying the PS4 or X1, will have the associated PS+ or Live Gold sub. I really don't see why you guys are still talking about this.

Its called having principles and not being short sighted. No other platform charges for features that are literally free on every other platform like Netflix or Youtube.

The more willing you are to fund such behaviour, the more willing companies are to implement such policies. Such policies, even if they don't impact you, have no reason to exist.

Except this is completely untrue. I had a XBL Gold membership for all of 6 months during this entire console cycle.

Why would i get PS+ next gen if i don't want to play multiplayer?

Discounts, free games. PS+, as of now, actually offers value.

PS4: party chat, f2p games, mmos, netflix and other apps... all free
Xbone: even offline features behind paywall

Offline apps... are you kidding me?

By the end of that seven years PS+ will get more games for free than the Wii U will have in total. I'd say that is worth an extra $350 over seven years.

antonio-banderas-gif-60xa6.gif

Bsigg12

PS4: party chat, f2p games, mmos, netflix and other apps... all free
Xbone: even offline features behind paywall

Offline apps... are you kidding me?

antonio-banderas-gif-60xa6.gif

Which offline things are you talking about? Game DVR? Because if you are, it's not offline. Clips aren't saved onto the console, they are stored server side.

farisr

Which offline things are you talking about? Game DVR? Because if you are, it's not offline. Clips aren't saved onto the console, they are stored server side.

And you know this how? They haven't stated whether they can be saved on the drive or not. But it is a process that's happening offline, and taking up system resources at all times during gameplay no less.

and this:

Wut, I can't capture gameplay when I'm offline, why are they not stored on the console? TV Guide is an offline feature.

Harpuea

I am surprised by the amount of people who finds that MS charging for free services acceptable. Oh well, it is their money to give. However, it just set a bad trend not just for MS, but the whole industry. Just like DLCs, it can get ridiculous like disc locked content. Now it is inching towards hardware functionality locked by the power of the cloud. Give MS an inch each time and they will eventually take a whole mile. Maybe it is already too late?

Wut, I can't capture gameplay when I'm offline, why are they not stored on the console? TV Guide is an offline feature.

Raymo

You are buying into their narrative, they could easily be saved offline, but that feature isn't available to non-subscribers.

Says who?

No way they are going to be constantly uploading online, that would kill everyone's bandwidth.

Are you on the dev team? Didn't think so - pretty bold of you to say things like that then...

I hope you are being sarcastic.

DieH@rd

Banned

Clips are saved into console, but MS is not allowing them to be accessed directly by users. Changing one 0 into 1 in OS registry could allow both local and online storing, but no, they want to be "progressive" and "magical".

ToyBroker

Banned
Wow we need to find info if GameDVR is stored on the HD or not...and if it is stored on the HD, whether or not you can access those files...with or without Gold.

VanWinkle

I haven't had Gold in years. Now, what you're saying about XB1 is probably true, since we now know that if you want to get even an inkling of the features the console offers, you'll have to have it. However, I guarantee you not everybody is going to have PS+. Not everybody likes online multiplayer, and you can still do just about everything else without Plus.

Anyone buying a Xbone at this point has to know Microsoft are going to nickel and Dime the fuck out of their wallets. How can anyone be shocked at this news? It's been Microsoft's MO throughout this entire generation.

Will MS accept real gold? Like if I would dangle my gold watch in front of the Kinect sensor, Kinect then scans it and gets its value then converts its worth into months of gold. I then pop it in the console tray for MS to keep.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm looking for the DVR stuff, I took the Marc Whitten comment about it that you make your clip and it uploads, nothing stored to the console. I'm going through the Major Nelson podcast now.

Game DVR: A dedicated Game DVR captures and accesses your magic moments, all saved to the cloud. Along with editing and sharing tools, you will have amazing bragging rights with Xbox Live.

That is as of May 21st so this has probably (I hope) changed.

Are they trying to say that game dvr WILL NOT WORK without internet connection? Because if this is true, that's the most stupidest thing they have on console [and they have A LOT of stupid things on it].

farisr

You can guarantee Sony will get a cut of any microtransactions.

I don't know about a guarantee. I was just watching the blacklight retribution livestream and the devs didn't find out about ps+ not being required for their game until sony announced it at e3. You would think they would know about it if sony had made a deal with them for getting a cut of the microtransactions.

They did mention that they might give a little something extra to ps+ members though, and they're in talks with sony about that, but nothing game changing like different guns or something. Something along the lines of camos for guns and what not.

Bsigg12

Are they trying to say that game dvr WILL NOT WORK without internet connection? Because if this is true, that's the most stupidest thing they have on console [and they have A LOT of stupid things on it].

That's where I'm confused. I'm not saying its a good thing but that's the way I'm interpreting the comment.

Satchel

Banned
Time = money so if we take, say 1 second = 10 dollars for sake of argument:

Wii U menu loading screen = 45 seconds = 450 dollars
Xbox One menu/PS4 menu =. 5 second = 5 dollars.

Dont forget electricity, gas, water.

If you play consoles for a day, you need electricity to power them. You're going to need to eat every few hours. You'll need to use the toilet and wash your hands.

It might be a cold day so the heater needs to be on. If you have kids, then you'll need to pay a sitter to watch them while you game.

Man we have an expensive hobby.

Skeff

The clips may be stored on the cloud long term but whilst recording they will be saved to HDD and then edited and then uploaded. Your not going to be uploading your gameplay to the cloud constantly and if you did it would be more than 5 minutes wouldn't it?

uploading all gaming to the cloud...Ain't nobody got bandwidth fo' that!

Bsigg12

Cached locally until you cut it and share it, which would be transferred to the cloud at that point so it exists online for others to stream/download/view from.

Otherwise they're using alien technology.

They won't give you access to the tools to cut it though if you're not going to be uploading it. At that point it's taking space on the HD without being able to access it if you can even make a video without Gold.

Chobel

Cached locally until you edit a clip and share it, whereupon its transferred to the cloud at that point so it has a home online for others to stream/download/view from.

Otherwise they're using alien technology.

can we access those clips (cached) without XBLG?

BigDug13

There's no way that the DVR doesn't start locally. There's no way people want to play and record multiplayer match and have 720p/30fps plus sound worth of bandwidth on their already pathetic upstream capacity while they are trying to frag people.

Recording locally then uploading to the cloud is the only way that makes sense.

statham

Anyone buying a Xbone at this point has to know Microsoft are going to nickel and Dime the fuck out of their wallets. How can anyone be shocked at this news? It's been Microsoft's MO throughout this entire generation.

I already pay for live with my 360, that extends well into XB1, I get all this with my account.

Seiru

Banned
I need Gold to record video of games to my hard drive? What? It doesn't even need to connect to the internet for that.

Bsigg12

I already pay for live with my 360, that extends well into XB1, I get all this with my account.

Right. I have 5 years left on my current Gold membership after getting a bunch of leftover 3 free months cards from a holiday bundle pack we made a few years ago.

To me, all the paywall stuff is a non-issue. I can see why people would be upset though.

BigDug13

from what I understand, it stores in the magic word 'cloud'

It stores in the cloud but it starts in your HDD. Are you going to devote 720p worth of your upload bandwidth to record videos while you play? What happens when your connection has issues, does it automatically choke down your image quality to compensate?

The answer is no. It records locally and then gets uploaded to the cloud. It does not record in the cloud to start.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I guess $500 wasn't enough. I hate that you just cant buy a system anymore and get access to the bulletpoints on the back of the box. I knew the multiplayer would be behind a paywall yet again ( giving you half a system essentially for your console purchase if you don't subscribe) but the core new features like dvr? What assholes.

So what the heck are we buying anyway? Its an awfully expensive console for something that requires a further subscription to use many of its features.

Its almost like a sick joke. Just another example of why I hated Microsoft getting involved with console gaming.

statham

It stores in the cloud but it starts in your HDD. Are you going to devote 720p worth of your upload bandwidth to record videos while you play? What happens when your connection has issues, does it automatically choke down your image quality to compensate?

The answer is no. It records locally and then gets uploaded to the cloud.
My cable is fine with upload/download. I regularly play games on my PC, while my son/wife watchs netflix.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't know about a guarantee. I was just watching the blacklight retribution livestream and the devs didn't find out about ps+ not being required for their game until sony announced it at e3. You would think they would know about it if sony had made a deal with them for getting a cut of the microtransactions.

I imagine F2P games will utilise the PSN equivalent of Steam's Wallet feature.

Top Bottom