• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One 2016+ Speculations (Newer Hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larogue

With the announcements of Windows 10 and XB1 integration. Release of steam machines. And the leaks of Nintendo's NX being an eco-systems of machines sharing the same OS/Games library.

I see no reason for Microsoft not to jump the gun and have its own version of XB1 lineup of machines.

They could release a beefier hardware, have it share the same game library we are playing right now on XB1. But with the option for developers to scale their games depending on which hardware its running on.

They are probably gonna start with one new hardware and see how it goes from there.

Let me just call it Xbox One Pro.

To keep specs realistic and affordable, I'm looking at the best new thing after what the current XB1 has inside.

They could upgrade the CPU GPU combo from Jaguar (1.75Ghz), Bonaire (HD 7790) 8GB DDR3 to Puma (2-2.4GHz), Tonga (R 285), 8-12GB GDDR5.

And still able to keep it affordable at just $400, assuming they release it in 2016/2017.

Also keep in mind this new hardware won't replace the Xbox One, but will be sold along it at a higher price for those who want the best performance . So we are looking at Xbox One at $299-249 (by 2016/2017) and Xbox One Pro at $399.

All current & future Xbox one games should be playable on both consoles, they share the same OS, SDK, and certain hardware features (for example the XB1 pro should have the 32MB ESRam so games that already take advantage of it, won't need re-development and optimization).

By doing so they are pleasing both current and future XB1 owners. Your current hardware won't be obsolete and will continue playing all future games, without being forced to upgrade, like what happened with PS3->PS4 & XB360->XB1.

eKfHJRd.jpg

mike4001_

2016 will probably bring an Xbox One Slim.

And while I do expect the next "real" Xbox to still run Windows 10 and probably play old Xbox One games ... this will not come before ~2019 / 2020

ramparter

Banned
Would be too soon and alienate the owners of Xbox One but personally I am a fan of this idea. I believe we have to a point that hardware and OS need to be two different things, like in smartphone. So you have the Xbox OS that keeps getting upgraded(sometimes small features, some times big overhauls) and the Xbox family of consoles that could consist of stronger machines, more affordable machines and even handhelds. Imagine a portable that could play most of your Xbox One and 360 games just by signing and downloading (no retail though)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
MS problems are not to be found in the hardware, so what's the point? Better hardware won't change anything. It didn't help Sony either last gen.

Xando

Why wouldn't they just open their eco system to PC hardware in general instead of limiting it to poor sales with locked specifications?

StillEdge

I don't believe this would happen either but honestly I didn't see that "New 3DS" system coming. Which is basically the same concept right?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why would anyone combine GDDR5 with a small pool of ESRAM. Especially since GDDR5 is on the brink of becoming old technology.

I remember when I had these kinds of delusions when I saw how much less powerful compared to the competition my beloved XBox brand was becoming. Maybe...what if...maybe?
It would turn off many remaining customers from ever choosing their brand again, I'm sure.
They should just deal with what they got, and start making brand new games. This "remaster" race won't bode well.

That's a PC.

You're talking about a PC.

Also do you have no concept of optimizing for consoles? You expect devs to optimize for a high end xbox and a low end xbox, when they have enough on their plate optimizing for one? It's not the same as changing a graphics setting in a menu.

QuikNez

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

No different than upgrading to the latest smartphone which I do every 12 to 18 months.

Same games, better features / performance.

Majmun

I don't believe this would happen either but honestly I didn't see that "New 3DS" system coming. Which is basically the same concept right?

Just as awful. But that's 4 years after the original launch. And Nintendo did the same with the DS when launching DSi.

Improving specs should be frowned upon when it comes to consoles and handhelds. I'll become a PC gamer once it becomes the norm in console space.

sangreal

I for one absolutely see this happening. With the move towards merging ecosystems they are working to out steam-machine valve. While this idea sounds bad to core console gamers it is the standard expectation of the mainstream users who are used to it with both mobile and pc applications

The Xbox one is getting closer to a living room big picture PC by the day

This is also the reason a lot of people expected the console to be named simply "Xbox"

Sounds good on paper, but in reality it won't work. I won't pay extra for high resolution/AA, and I am pretty sure that the average consumer won't care either. What if a developer decided to release a game on the newer hardware? It will no doubt split the user base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom