• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One 2016+ Speculations (Newer Hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipo

Heh, I mean shit, I just picked up an XBox One like 3 days ago. PC gamer ordinarily, I just know that sort of non-changing hardware is one of console gamings last big draws in many ways.

Look at the difference between iphone and ipad - the key one is that iphones are bought largely on contract, so there is an impetus of sorts comeplling year on year replacements. By comparison, the iPad doesn't have any sort of impetus, relying purely on hardware improvement hype and it falls comparatively flat in comparison. Take contracts out of the equation and I doubt you would see phones replaced so frequently.

I'm probably a poor example as I buy an off-contract phone just about every year (it actually ends up being cheaper with prepaid plans and reselling the old model).

I think the console manufacturers could do something similar (not contracts but incentive updates through guaranteed trade in value.) Buy an Xbox or PS and pay $70 a year for PSN/XBL and guarantee 75% trade in value at 1 year 50% at 2 years.

I think enough people would would think "Gee I can get upgraded graphics for only $150" and MS and Sony could resell the refurbished units as a lowcost entry into their ecosystem.

Yes, I realize it will never happen but I think it is an interesting idea.

The motivation and drive of customers towards the XB1 is influenced by different factors. Microsoft has the power of exclusive games. The ability to swallow you in their ecosystem. People will want and have to play their games.

And the same drive that push PC gamers to upgrade their gaming rig to play the witcher 3 at it's best, is gonna push gamers to adopt the beefier hardware.

All of the motivators that you mention already exist on the Xbox One. They would all be harmed by Microsoft splitting its userbase in any way. The console maker that came the closest to what you describe in the op is 90's Sega. It put them in the damn ground.

Are you telling me that Microsoft that was able to do the miracle of running X360 games on XB1 won't be able to offload ESRAM task on a memory of almost double the bandwidth? Come on man.

As for licensing, no. Did Sony need to relicense their games when they made PS2 run PS1 games, or PS3 run both PS1 and PS2 games? No. As long the device reads the game disc natively.

First lets hold off on calling it a miracle until we see how it shakes out in wide use. And yes, dealing with a change in memory architecture on a system that is marginally more powerful is more difficult than emulating PowerPC on more capable hardware. The changes in timings are going to be a bitch. I am not saying it's impossible, I am saying that it's not worth it. It's not near worth it.

Erimriv

Most people just play games and don't count pixels. The XB1's specs are not a problem at all.

There is a niche that actually drill down over every multiplatform title, but it's all realm silly. And yes, there is a contingent that want to paint the difference as much more blatant than it is.

Microsoft would be idiotic if it played into narrative that the tech specs matter. The XB1 is getting great versions of all the great multiplatform games.

Microsoft is doing exactly what it should be doing, which is pumping out grew exclusive content and shoring up its UI for post-Kinect life, as well as enabling BC to lure their base of 360 customers to upgrade to the XB1.

I wonder how long it is going to take the average Gaffer to realize that beating the PS4 sales totals at not the point. Microsoft is selling enough consoles to keep third party devs making games for them.

Are people looking at the Xbox One list of holiday games and really think there is a problem with the hardware not being up to the task?

The console's only issue continues to be recovering from a disastrous launch that let Sony define it. All things considered, the recovery is going well.

Great post, couldn't say it better. I was to buy a PS4 to play the Witcher 3, Fallout 4 etc... then the XB1 comes with BC and a lesser price. I would like to stay on Xbox Live, since I own a large library of Xbox 360 games including some dozens of arcades and digital downloads.

If MS can put a good deal on the new 1TB XB1 here in Spain I'll jump into this gen with the One, that's what Im waiting for now, give us here some deal like the current one in the US: 1TB XB1+ Halo MCC+ one game free. They need to get their act together in Europe.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

did you even bother to read the rest of that article or try the bc for yourself? or do you just have this shit post saved as a macro?

anyway, if you want to talk about new hardware this is the only thing I've seen. It's a new fan design that Microsoft are said to be interested in.

Among PC gamers, this could be huge. An enthusiast’s gaming rig typically has one CPU and one to four graphics cards, each of which generate enough heat to warrant one of CoolChip’s fans. Anyone with a PC built for maxing out their games or software would notice the noise reduction from switching to fans this quiet.

Apparently I’m not the only one to notice that. Onstage, Sanchez noted that CoolChip has partnered with Cooler Master to bring its technology to market as aftermarket add-ons early next year, and Microsoft consulted with the startup to make quieter fans for the Xbox One games console, as well as an upcoming unannounced Xbox (likely an Xbox One Slim).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony did not need to license BC for the PS2 or the first run PS3 because they had native hardware inside.

When it is done via software on different hardware, licensing is at play. Hence one of the factors for the limited selection on the PS3 and 360 with software based emulation.

Alchemy

Microsoft already burned early adopters with the Kinect shit followed by price cuts and bundles galore, an entirely new piece of hardware would be the worst possible thing to do so early. And lololol at "simple patch".

I'm definitely expecting this. Ever since they announced the name "XBox One" I've assumed XBox Two is not gonna be too far away. Especially with the VM OS structure, just look how they were able to emulate the entire 360 OS with the BC functionality.

As long as the games are built to scale and not immediately make the older hardware obsolete, your not really dividing your market. Also, sales numbers become fuzzier, it's easier to claim a larger market share than you really have.

It's basically the cell phone model.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Most people just play games and don't count pixels. The XB1's specs are not a problem at all. There is a niche that actually drill down over every multiplatform title, but it's all really silly. And yes, there is a contingent that want to paint the difference as much more blatant than it is.

Microsoft would be idiotic if it played into narrative that the tech specs matter. The XB1 is getting great versions of all the great multiplatform games. Microsoft is doing exactly what it should be doing, which is pumping out great exclusive content and shoring up its UI for post-Kinect life, as well as enabling BC to lure their base of 360 customers to upgrade to the XB1.

I wonder how long it is going to take the average Gaffer to realize that beating the PS4 sales totals is not the point. Microsoft is selling enough consoles to keep third party devs making games for them. Are people looking at the Xbox One list of holiday games and really think there is a problem with the hardware not being up to the task?

The console's only issue continues to be recovering from a disastrous launch that let Sony define it. All things considered, the recovery is going well.

Incredibly well put. It's not about outselling the competitor, that's a bonus, well a pretty big bonus, but the main focus is to sell well.

Sydle

I'm all for the approach in the OP, but I don't think it's likely this generation. Spencer has a long road ahead of him to get Xbox fans favoring the idea of Xbox as a cross-device platform. I think next gen will look very different for the Xbox brand and more Steam Machine like, but that's still 3-5 years off.

When/if Xbox users think of themselves as Xbox Live customers first, regardless of device, then I could see the OP's idea being realized.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
If and when there's anything to actually speculate about rather than your random musings, make a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom