• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One 2016+ Speculations (Newer Hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK128

Just because Nintendo is making a new console doesn't mean Microsoft and Sony will throw a new one out next year XD!

Nintendo HAS a reason to release its new console (horrid sales of the Wii U sadly :(), so its expected they are working toward the launch of the platform (with this E3 clearly showing that).

Sony and Microsoft? They are in a great spot right now. The former is selling very well while the latter is slowly building its user-base through strong tittles and listening to its consumers (I mean, the fact we can talk about them without foaming at the mouth after there disastrous reveal in 2013 is impressive of itself :D!).

The most anyone could expect out of Microsoft for future hardware stuff is great integration with mobile devices as inputs for the X1 and more cross-buy features/support with PC. Outside of that.....don't expect anything :l.

EvB

Whilst I think it is a model that could be adopted, but I'd have thought they would of gone for something less exotic if they had planned to do this.

But given the wonder they've just pulled with 360 BC and the triple OS setup they have, nothing is impossible.

Majmun

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

No different than upgrading to the latest smartphone which I do every 12 to 18 months.

Same games, better features / performance.

Sure, but older smartphones can still run new mobile games. Most mobile games aren't really demanding when it comes to graphics.

Totally different in console space. And not lucrative at all for developers. The older usebase would basically vanish and has to keep buying a new console to play the new games.

Won't happen.

panda-zebra

buyapcz1q0e.png
o_O

tilomite!

I don't like the idea of having two separate levels of hardware. The same way we have complains about cross gen holding back games we'll have lesser hardware holding back games. I know Microsoft probably needs to do something big, but I don't think this is the answer.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The smartphone analogy does not really work. For once, smartphones are usually bundled with contracts. Additionally, smartphone software rarely pushed its hardware to the limit, making portability across different hardware specs much easier.

Generally speaking, I would be supportive of new consoles every four years. Similar architectures and software APIs would support easy cross-gen development and reuse of software assets. The PS360 generation was definitely too long.

QuikNez

Sure, but older smartphones can still run new mobile games. Most mobile games aren't really demanding when it comes to graphics.

Totally different in console space. And not lucrative at all for developers. The older usebase would basically vanish and has to keep buying new consoles to play the new games.

Won't happen.

Why not? Like running a game on a higher or lowe spec. So long as X1 original still runs fine.

That's R&D MS could better point towards a new system that's actually trying something next-gen instead of being a minimal upgrade from current-gen. Complete waste of resources; they're stuck w/ XBO as it is right now until its true successor drops a couple or so years from now.

Plus they could use some of that money towards strengthening XBO's exclusives library, which would do better for good will.

Neverminding the fact having two near-similar products of the same family being sold one alongside the other with differentiating factors that only appeal to a small niche is not the best thing to do.

StMeph

I don't see how this is speculation so much as daydreaming/wishing. It's not grounded in any shred of news or expectation of what Microsoft is going to do.

Rembrandt

Banned
I would sell my XB1, tbh. The hardware as it stands isn't a big deal to me, but releasing a new console with stronger hardware will basically be a fuck you to me and other early adopters.

ps3ud0

Woah its like the OP has had a nervous breakdown - its the effort involved thats surprising. Man this generation is gonna be tough for some...

ps3ud0 8)

Not a chance. There'll of course be a lot of internal revisions and maybe and external one over the course of a generation, but what you're asking is for MS to start a new generation when this one is just a year and a half old.

Mid gen upgrades are the worst idea and a nightmare for devs. You are not going to see upgraded main hardware until next gen.

QuikNez

I would sell my XB1, tbh. The hardware as it stands isn't a big deal to me, but releasing a new console with stronger hardware will basically be a fuck you to me and other early adopters.

Curious into why this would be a F you, how would an upgraded X1 be any different than any other consumer electronic? Especially if your existing X1 would be still fully functional.

Holy shit, you guys are fucking rude. OP put some thought into his post and even made a picture with hardware specifications.
No need to make fun of his idea.

I think something like hardware upgrade might happen for the xboxone. Given how weak its hardware will be in 2016/2017.

Not gonna happen. MS's next Xbox is probably going to be an HTPC type setup with a controller/remote focused interface, not some kind of pro model.

Ushay

It isn't such an outlandish idea as many think. But from a business perspective it doesnt make sense when there are so many games in the pipeline, a possible hardware refresh and many other software implementations to be shown. I reckon we have at least another 6 years before we see another hardware upgrade.

The mobile phone model would be too costly.

Weaker specs and all, Xbone showing at E3 was pretty good. Forza, Gears, and other games looked fucking great to me. They just need the price lowered before I'll bite. If it were $225 I'd consider buying it. A hardware upgrade isn't going to sway me for a few reasons. For one, most devs would just port whatever game they have on Xbone and up the framerate and resolution to the hardware upgraded one. Unless the game is exclusive I could just buy the game on PS4 or PC.

ISee

Yeah that is not going to happen.

But I have another great Idea for you OP. Maybe Microsoft could make a XBOX ONE with changeable parts. Then you can swap the GPU for a better one, put in more RAM, switch the cooling or change the CPU. The possibilities...

I think that could change the industry!

I'd be up for Sony and Microsoft refreshing the hardware every couple of years, I pay more for mobile phones so why not? would also guarantee back compatibility

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
PC exists already, there's no reason to build a new hardware on a console. It's a cheap trick from the company to do that
I'm looking at you, Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom