• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Just the beginning

Hawk269

Can we get a GIF here!

Sorry, I was wrong. It looked new because they brightened up that part, it was the part where it looks like the guy is walking through a catacomb or something like that. But that is also in the e3 reveal, just much darker and less detailed.

Yeah that's an advertisement alright. Still good to see they're seemingly actually marketing Scalebound instead of sending it to die like almost every single Platinum game has been. Also no KI is disappointing.

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the crack down video? I mean tech wise it looked cool. But that's what it looked like was one big tech demo showing off destruction. No NPC's, no real one on one gameplay against other players they showed?

Guess I'm in the minority that want's actual gameplay footage from campaign and not a 15 minute video on the destruction tech they have in the game.

Well yeah, in the demonstration Dave Jones says that what he's showing at that point is basically a tech demo and that the destruction is mainly for multiplayer and technical experimentation since Crackdown is essentially a collectathon and destroying buildings in the single player would destroy the actual gameplay of the singleplayer.

Hawk269

That's a really diverse lineup of great looking games! Let's goooooo

That is what I want. More diversity. They have many genre's covered in that reel, so things are looking good. We just need to know what else they have planned for the balance of the year.

Azerth

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the crack down video? I mean tech wise it looked cool. But that's what it looked like was one big tech demo showing off destruction. No NPC's, no real one on one gameplay against other players they showed?

Guess I'm in the minority that want's actual gameplay footage from campaign and not a 15 minute video on the destruction tech they have in the game.

the campaign and full city destruction are two diff modes

Papacheeks

Banned
When in 2016?
Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

No.......um...yea....um .......no not really.

the campaign and full city destruction are two diff modes

Well then you should have actually shown campaign and not just one big tech demo. You want to tech demo? DO it at a panel with one on one's with press. But please show me how it all works in the campaign.

That was the equivalent of DICE just showing us speeder's and no gameplay in battlefront when they first announced the game.

They've acknowledged it was a tech demo more than a representation of the game itself, but you can't deny it's not a significant tech demo. We're supposed to be getting a beta over summer though, so gameplay can't be too far away.

Papacheeks

Banned
They've acknowledged it was a tech demo more than a representation of the game itself, but you can't deny it's not a significant tech demo. We're supposed to be getting a beta over summer though, so gameplay can't be too far away.

I am saying you don't spend that much time on a tech demo before even showing how the game works in motion in campaign.

The division was smart enough to show you the engine while they actually were doing a mission. Showing you the dynamics of AI, command's and such.

Naughty dog did a panel to talk about their tech. They had a trailer, then had a panel showing you how they achieved the new animations, textures ect. Then following that they had an actual live demo of the game and did another panel.

Crackdown just shows you how destruction works and how they are using cloud computing to do it. Would rather just have a trailer with some quick shots from campaign. Then you do your panel for tech people, news outlets to talk about what your using stuff like that.

LKSmash

Xbox = XclusiveBox for me as well at this point. Which, is fine, as it has Sunset Overdrive, Forza6, Dead Rising, and Halo 5 :)

Both companies have flipped roles from last gen: Xbox is trying to gain ground with exclusives and PS4 is the place to be for multiplats and a few choice exclusives.

Sydle

I don't think microsoft cares about Fable legends anymore and its just going to come out when its ready. No marketing or anything were just going to see it come out then its going to fail.

Yep MS continues to ignore the existence of that game. Surprising considering it's first party.

"Fable Legends, let's not talk bout it..."

That is true, when the hell is that game coming out?

AFAIK, the latest plans as of mid-December were for open beta in the Spring. Maybe it will get more attention then.

Both companies have flipped roles from last gen: Xbox is trying to gain ground with exclusives and PS4 is the place to be for multiplats and a few choice exclusives.

I believe the PS4 has far more console exclusives coming out in 2016 than the XB1. That is especially true when you consider all the Playstation VR games.

I see alot of ppl say this, and then a look at how many studios Sony has with PS4 exclusives in the works... I can't agree

icespide

Banned
it's a great lineup and I'm excited to play these games, but Microsoft's caveat-riddled spinny tag lines for these marketing campaigns still bother me.

LKSmash

I believe the PS4 has far more console exclusives coming out in 2016 than the XB1. That is especially true when you consider all the Playstation VR games.

I see alot of ppl say this, and then a look at how many studios Sony has with PS4 exclusives in the works... I can't agree

Sony is killing the console exclusives I agree but I still think MS has a lead in regards to big budget, banner exclusives. I don't think Sony's sizzle reel of exclusives matches up as well imo.

Ushay

Good video. Noticed it didn't have Fable Legends at all.

KI S3 deserved more than half second. : /
With good cause, pretty sure MS wants FL done and dusted asap. I know I do.

OT - Looks like an amazing lineup for the year to come. Can't wait to see what other surprises come at E3, secretly hoping for a proper RPG exclusive of some sort.

Hoo-doo

Banned

This would only be true if you just ignore Sony's stable of first party development teams. It's Playstation's biggest strength.

I am saying you don't spend that much time on a tech demo before even showing how the game works in motion in campaign.

The division was smart enough to show you the engine while they actually were doing a mission. Showing you the dynamics of AI, command's and such.

Naughty dog did a panel to talk about their tech. They had a trailer, then had a panel showing you how they achieved the new animations, textures ect. Then following that they had an actual live demo of the game and did another panel.

Crackdown just shows you how destruction works and how they are using cloud computing to do it. Would rather just have a trailer with some quick shots from campaign. Then you do your panel for tech people, news outlets to talk about what your using stuff like that.

That's true, I have a suspicion that multiplayer is going to be ready way before single player, seeing as they're only talking about multiplayer right now, hopefully we still get the single player in 2016.

At the same time, the cloud tech is definitely more experimental than "new animations or textures", and it's something they'd like other developers to get involved in/license rather than "this is something we made for our game".

reKon

Banned

It's going to be interesting how things look a few years from now.

Here's a spoiler:
Nothing has flipped.

At least Xbox seems to be more competitive this gen with the exclusive game offerings.

Vitacat

As an owner of all current systems: they're all really, really good.

If you don't own an Xbox One, and you can afford one, get one. Same goes for PS4 and WiiU, although I can understanding holding out for NX info in case it's BC with WiiU.

LKSmash

This would only be true if you just ignore Sony's stable of first party development teams. It's Playstation's biggest strength.

I think it was their biggest strength last gen. This gen they're riding a wave of better machine/poor MS reveal/Activision marketing deal. Granted their biggest releases haven't hit the console yet.

Pif

Banned
Without taking any merit from the games shown and personally looking to play a few myself, that trailer is grasping a bit at straws by beginning with a showcase of multiplatform games already available everywhere, then some exclusives, then some future multiplatforms, then again a recap of the exclusives and then more gears for the 3rd time (maybe 4th?)

Wtf?

Them not showing Fable Legends just cements my opinion that the game is just a sort of technical experiment/excercise to see how good a possible Fable 4(but hopefully not)/New IP could look under them.

LKSmash

Sony has more 1st/2nd party studios & exclusives, if anything.

They certainly have more but i think MS is having to rely on theirs more heavily than in the 360 era where everything multiplat seemed to run better on their console and Xbox live was head and shoulders above PSN.

krang

Them not showing Fable Legends just cements my opinion that the game is just a sort of technical experiment/excercise to see how good a possible Fable 4(but hopefully not)/New IP could look under them.

Seems to me like it lost momentum after Evolve sank like a stone.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think it was their biggest strength last gen. This gen they're riding a wave of better machine/poor MS reveal/Activision marketing deal. Granted their biggest releases haven't hit the console yet.

What exactly do you think changed between last gen and this gen? Those devteams are all just twiddling their thumbs?

reKon

Banned
When are they going to show anything on Gears 4. There's a beta coming in the Spring and we literally know nothing about the game, lol...

This one if their biggest IP so imagine they are working hard making this great, but give us something.

I've been playing The Witcher 2 thanks to BC but gimme that new Gears. I bought my xbox basically to play Gears.

Side note: I like playing The Witcher on console a lot more than PC. My PC isn't great anymore so it's nice to just boot it up and go.

Synth

He replied "yes" to a question asking if he hoped to see the game released on PC one day. Not that it will be. This would likely be MS' call as they own the IP for it unlike Alan Wake.

Now GIVE ME MY THREE AND A HALF MINUTES BACK!!! You could have at least timestamped it!!

What exactly do you think changed between last gen and this gen?

Well for one, it did become a shitload easier for Sony to pull rank on 3rd party deals.

Papacheeks

Banned
When are they going to show anything on Gears 4. There's a beta coming in the Spring and we literally know nothing about the game, lol...

This one if their biggest IP so imagine they are working hard making this great, but give us something.

Gears 4 and scalebound are the only xbox games I WANT.

Top Bottom