• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Just the beginning

LKSmash

What exactly do you think changed between last gen and this gen? Those devteams are all just twiddling their thumbs?

Outside of Bloodborne and Until Dawn, they've collectively missed on this first foray into this gen. Knack, Driveclub, The Order, etc were all misfires. I just think MS had a better start to their exclusive lineup then PS has so far but Sony still has a lot to release: Uncharted, GT, David Cage, Horizon, etc

icespide

Banned
Outside of Bloodborne and Until Dawn, they've collectively missed on this first foray into this gen. Knack, Driveclub, The Order, etc were all misfires. I just think MS had a better start to their exclusive lineup then PS has so far but Sony still has a lot to release: Uncharted, GT, David Cage, Horizon, etc

I'm really looking forward to David Cage

Pretty good ad.

Sea of Thieves, QB, and Scalebound look fantastic.

New Gears footage looked visually like nothing special. I have a feeling thats going to be underwhelming and fail to capture what makes that series great.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm buying a lot of those games, it's going to be a good year I think. I'm excited to see actual ReCore footage.

Theorry

Pretty good ad.

Sea of Thieves, QB, and Scalebound look fantastic.

New Gears footage looked visually like nothing special. I have a feeling thats going to be underwhelming and fail to capture what makes that series great.

Nah Rod knows what Gears needs. He said he wanted to get back to the horror side of things, more like GOW1.

Faith looks a lot more Caucasian now. I went to the original Mirrors Edge on wikipedia and wow what a huge difference between the original and new character.

The spin being used for the ad made me laugh, but then I was bombarded by some awesome looking games so I would say the ad overall was successful, got me excited for the games coming down the pipeline.

NeoRaider

He replied "yes" to a question asking if he hoped to see the game released on PC one day. Not that it will be. This would likely be MS' call as they own the IP for it unlike Alan Wake.

Now GIVE ME MY THREE AND A HALF MINUTES BACK!!! You could have at least timestamped it!!

Well for one, it did become a shitload easier for Sony to pull rank on 3rd party deals.

Stop yelling, be happy that you got the link, i am on my phone. :D

And it's nice interview stop pretending like you would've spend these minutes in a better way. :p

Well Sony has Battlefront, and I would bet future Star Wars games from EA, which is a pretty big get.

I'd bet MS will get marketing rights to Titanfall 2. I'm really curious who will grab Mass Effect: Andromeda, history says it'll be MS, but I can see Sony trying to steal that one.

Why would you assume future Star Wars games? Don't make assumptions. MS had a game competing in the same genre, Sony didn't. I doubt MS was willing to pay as much.

Next year, who knows?

Conduit

Banned

Driveclub sold well. You unintentionally started list wars. You should look misfires on Xbone side.

DriveClub is a great game now. The Order was a bomb but you can't say that it wasn't a AAA title. You also forgot Infamous Second Son and MLB: The Show. You also shouldn't ignore remasters of games like The Last of Us which came out at the end of the last console generation. People like myself waited to buy that game when it came out on the PS4. Sony shouldn't be punished because they decided to continue to support the PS3 at the same time as the PS4 while Microsoft abandoned the 360.

LKSmash

Driveclub sold well. You unintentionally started list wars. You should look misfires on Xbone side.

Both have had missteps. No doubting that. Just thought MS started better by getting some of their big stuff out early. Obviously, it hasn't hurt Sony any and I'm sure they'll be rewarded for their big stuff coming out this year.

reKon

Banned

I started playing Infamous:SS weeks ago and I was really enjoying that one because of the solid gameplay. I'm sure there were other good PS4 exclusives have came out since launch..

Nah Rod knows what Gears needs. He said he wanted to get back to the horror side of things, more like GOW1.

This is the main positive thing here. The debut of Gears of War 4 gameplay made it look like complete shit. I don't know how any Gears fans would have been impressed by that I think any hype that's generated is just due to potential of Gears coming back on a next gen system since we don't know anything about the game. They should have not have showed the gameplay. There was absolutely no point other to show what they did.

Excited for Quantum Break, Crackdown and Gears 4!

Also the opening are really weirdly written, took me a while to understand what it actually meant.

LKSmash

DriveClub is a great game now. The Order was a bomb but you can't say that it wasn't a AAA title. You also forgot Infamous Second Son and MLB: The Show. You also shouldn't ignore remasters of games like The Last of Us which came out at the end of the last console generation. People like myself waited to buy that game when it came out on the PS4. Sony shouldn't be punished because they decided to continue to support the PS3 at the same time as the PS4 while Microsoft abandoned the 360.

I started playing Infamous:SS weeks ago and I was really enjoying that one because of the solid gameplay. I'm sure there were other good PS4 exclusives have came out since launch..

Didn't suggest The Order wasn't AAA. And yes, I did forget about I:SS; definitely a hit for them. I was trying to avoid remasters but I guess that's hard to do as it's a growing part of this generation.

Koutsoubas

My advice to Microsoft. Diversify your Gaming Studios. Shooters and Racing are very good! But so is Art, compelling storylines and bold decisions outside of the box that makes you experience gaming differently.

Be bold with new game franchises!

Just bought an XB1 to now own all three next gen, or current gen, consoles.

Unimpressed.

Took two whole hours to set up with updates, when I finally got into it, I put in Halo 5, which then took 25 minutes to install(!) and THEN, demanded I download a 20GB update (20GB of what!?), so I thought i'd play single player. Nope, can't load the app up without the update.

Turned it off and walked out the room. I sincerely hope the gaming portion is better than the faffing about setting it up and downloading huge updates of fuck all. Thankfully I can play Tomb Raider, Halo hasn't really grabbed me yet. And I laughed because Destiny looks and plays so much smoother. Reminded me I should really download the new DLC for it.

My advice to Microsoft. Diversify your Gaming Studios. Shooters and Racing are very good! But so is Art, compelling storylines and bold decisions outside of the box that makes you experience gaming differently.

They seem to be doing that with Quantam Break and Scalebound.

brawly

None of those excite me. Same as last year really. Need another game like SO.

I do have a blast with friends online though so I don't really need exclusives to make me keep the Bone.

statham

google search 'Ori awards'

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Both have had missteps. No doubting that. Just thought MS started better by getting some of their big stuff out early. Obviously, it hasn't hurt Sony any and I'm sure they'll be rewarded for their big stuff coming out this year.

The problem is that although they've gotten all their big stuff out early, they just don't have the depth in terms of numbers of popular franchises to rotate them in/out properly.

Its nice having a new Halo title every year, its nice having a new Forza, etc. But its not broadening their appeal beyond what they offered in the first year.

Not saying they're bad games at all, just in terms of sales pedigree, their other offerings wont be giving their competitors too many sleepless nights.

You know what else looks pretty great and I personally don't think the series is anything special. Crackdown 3. The concept of that game could be amazing.

krang

Unimpressed.

Took two whole hours to set up with updates, when I finally got into it, I put in Halo 5, which then took 25 minutes to install(!) and THEN, demanded I download a 20GB update (20GB of what!?), so I thought i'd play single player. Nope, can't load the app up without the update.

Turned it off and walked out the room. I sincerely hope the gaming portion is better than the faffing about setting it up and downloading huge updates of fuck all. Thankfully I can play Tomb Raider, Halo hasn't really grabbed me yet. And I laughed because Destiny looks and plays so much smoother. Reminded me I should really download the new DLC for it.

Living up to your name. Also, entirely irrelevant.

icespide

Banned

Unimpressed.

ok

Sydle

They seem to be doing that with Quantam Break and Scalebound.

And Ori, Recore, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Sunset Overdrive, Cuphead, Killer Instinct...

I feel like the people who perpetuate the idea that MS only has Halo, Gears, and Forza is because it's an easy driveby post to potentially start list wars and shit up threads.

reKon

Banned

Unimpressed.

thanks for sharing...

This is something they seem to be working on. MS seems to be taking gambles on studios who are lesser known in an attempt to build up partnerships. There have been times so far where it's worked out incredibly (Double Helix, Moon, Iron Galaxy), and not so well (Darkside), I'm eager to see how it'll work out with Armature and MDHR.

Didn't suggest The Order wasn't AAA. And yes, I did forget about I:SS; definitely a hit for them. I was trying to avoid remasters but I guess that's hard to do as it's a growing part of this generation.

I only mentioned AAAs because you were discounting a lot of Sony's exclusives because they weren't "big budget".
Sony is killing the console exclusives I agree but I still think MS has a lead in regards to big budget, banner exclusives. I don't think Sony's sizzle reel of exclusives matches up as well imo.

As for remasters, you can avoid those done from earlier in the PS3 lifetime but you can't avoid the ones from the last year before the PS4 came out. Sony could have easily made those PS4 exclusives but didn't. They just supported both platforms.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
mirrors edge, quantum break, dirt rally, forza horizon 3 (?), halo wars 2, sea of theives, crackdown (beta only?), gears 4. potentially a few other unkowns (like recore). its going to be a good year for me for sure.

by the way, was there a tiny new clip of gears never before seen in there? also, the e3 demo looked different, as if the lighting was tweaked so you could actually make out details. looked considerably better for it

LKSmash

The problem is that although they've gotten all their big stuff out early, they just don't have the depth in terms of numbers of popular franchises to rotate them in/out properly.

Its nice having a new Halo title every year, its nice having a new Forza, etc. But its not broadening their appeal beyond what they offered in the first year.

Not saying they're bad games at all, just in terms of sales pedigree, their other offerings wont be giving their competitors too many sleepless nights.

I agree about Forza. I definitely think there's oversaturation potential there. This year they are poised for a lot of different offerings for a change outside of Forza/Gears. Whether those games are any good is what remains to be seen.

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the crack down video? I mean tech wise it looked cool. But that's what it looked like was one big tech demo showing off destruction. No NPC's, no real one on one gameplay against other players they showed?

Guess I'm in the minority that want's actual gameplay footage from campaign and not a 15 minute video on the destruction tech they have in the game.
The reason it seemed like a tech demo to show destruction is because it was a tech demo showing destruction.

LKSmash

As for remasters, you can avoid those done from earlier in the PS3 lifetime but you can't avoid the ones from the last year before the PS4 came out. Sony could have easily made those PS4 exclusives but didn't. They just supported both platforms.

I think I was only leaving out The Last of Us. Other than TLOU, what came out on both platforms exclusively within a year of each other? The Uncharteds were older, GoW as well.

I say this as someone who has supported Sony in this thread, I think Microsoft has done a better job selecting their exclusives than Sony. Microsoft does need to diversify more but I think Sony has gone too far into the artsy, niche direction. Sony needs to concentrate more on gameplay first.

Top Bottom