• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One review embargoes lift Nov 19th (Tuesday 9PM PT/12AM EST)

Oh shit, I totally forgot about Killer Instinct. I think that one actually has the best chance of being the top-rated game along with Forza, relegating Dead Rising 3 to a third purchase if people want to go that deep.

That sounds about right. I'd put Forza and KI in a dead heat. They're both pretty phenomenal.

Ryan_IGN

OP you got the thread title wrong. It's 9pm PT on the 19th, not 9am.

Also that only applies to the hardware/platform stuff. The games have separate embargo dates and times.

Xater

Yeah. Recently I asked someone in a good position to know what games I should get and his answer was clear: Forza and KI. Ryse, not so much.

Sounds about right from what I played in August.

I have spent a lot of time with KI. About an hour with a tournament player on one of the two stick stations they had. I really enjoyed my time with it.

I don't know how Crytek done fucked up Ryse. The Crysis games are hardly the most groundbreaking in gameplay, but they were pretty solid and quite fun.

If we're making predictions for review scores...

Ryse - Upper 60's
Dead Rising 3 - Low to mid 80's
Killer Instinct - Low to mid 80's
Forza - Mid to high 80's

TheKayle

Banned
Xbox One only needs one truly great exclusive game to beat PS4's launch. I think Forza will clear that bar and I think there's a good chance of a surprise second as well, either Zoo Tycoon or Crimson Dragon.

ps4 lineup lost itself alone..without any need to be fighted....
the launch lineup was "so so" from the start and after been revealed was worst than that "so so" everyone was expecting

Xater

Is Lococycle actually a launch game? I expect that to be eviscerated as well. That game has nothing going for it except for the humor and I still question that part as well.

Amir0x

Banned
ryse sounds like ass creed 1. potential, graphics, and thats about it.

soooo 3's at the low end, mostly 7's, a few 9's

the thing that seems to kill it, other than the factual shallowness of its combat engine, is the lack of variety. Most previews I've read usually issue scathing indictments over how they literally never mix anything up, it's not like God of War where you're also solving puzzles and traversing massive platforming obstacle courses. It's just being shuttled from one combat arena to the next, with the occasional skint into broader combat scenes involving an army, and since the combat itself is so shallow, it seems it's not enough incentive.

If previews are to be believed, anyway.

ahartig

So when do reviews / impressions of BF4 come out..... I am still waiting for DF to make a video comparing MP between both consoles.

Kinect integration (head tracking, lean functionality) impressions are also something I am eager to hear about.

Taker34

Banned
That game Rice is suspicious. I don't expect launch games to be good on both consoles, that's just the way it is. Good thing I bought 5 games, so I wouldn't mind 1-2 mediocre ones.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Predictions:

Ryse: Ranging from 5's to Polygon's 9.
DR3: 8.3
Forza: 9
Killer Instinct: 8
Lococycle: 7.4
Power* Golf: 7.7

Curufinwe

Xbox One only needs one truly great exclusive game to beat PS4's launch. I think Forza will clear that bar and I think there's a good chance of a surprise second as well, either Zoo Tycoon or Crimson Dragon.

Which one of those will rate higher than Resogun?

FuturusX

Resogun cleared that bar pretty easily. So technically if we are comparing they'll need two.

But comparing subjective reviews is pretty pointless isn't it? Either set of earlier adopters don't care about reviews. It's take the gloss off - but we are still going to be buy those pesky beauties are we not? The second and third wave it was really matters. Sony and MS better have good software coming soon.

I'd also suggest that possessing zero indies at launch is a huge oversight. When the dry spell comes - and it will - I'll be looking to indies to fill my needs.

Back to the launch wars:

Killer Instinct may be that second title when I think about it. I saw it yesterday up close and it looks very pretty - I wonder about the depth though seems like a tried and tested brawler. Perhaps that's a good thing.

In the grand scheme I don't think either launch line-up is head and shoulders over the other. I know many gamers who can't stand Forza or racing games. Which leaves very few stand out options - except for Resogun. But then I love that game and so should we all!

(RESOGUN AD ENDS)

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm expecting

Forza - high 8s to low 9s
Killer Instinct - 8s
Dead Rising - 7s
Ryse - 6s
Crimson Dragon - 6s (want it to be good but not impressed by the gameplay that we've seen)

Curufinwe

I'm comparing it to Crimson Dragon and Zoo Tycoon.

If we're making predictions for review scores...

Ryse - Upper 60's
Dead Rising 3 - Low to mid 80's
Killer Instinct - Low to mid 80's
Forza - Mid to high 80's

I think DR3 will be mid 70s if the performance is as bad as DF made it sound like.

the thing that seems to kill it, other than the factual shallowness of its combat engine, is the lack of variety. Most previews I've read usually issue scathing indictments over how they literally never mix anything up, it's not like God of War where you're also solving puzzles and traversing massive platforming obstacle courses. It's just being shuttled from one combat arena to the next, with the occasional skint into broader combat scenes involving an army, and since the combat itself is so shallow, it seems it's not enough incentive.

If previews are to be believed, anyway.

god it would had been so great for the game if there was chariot racing in the game :(

I suspect that they're going to get hit with complaints about little content, and considering that there's only 14 tracks and the smallest amount of cars available in the series thus far, that would appear to be valid (especially considering GT6 is on the horizon with more than twice the tracks and apparently twice the Premium cars).

I suspect that they're going to get hit with complaints about little content, and considering that there's only 14 tracks and the smallest amount of cars available in the series thus far, that would appear to be valid (especially considering GT6 is on the horizon with more than twice the tracks and apparently twice the Premium cars).

See Forza 2

Top Bottom