• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Tour - Highly disappointed in system and graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

I mean, it's not something that will be a huge deal for every single XBOX ONE owner unless you were looking forward to adding some extra items to your cart on launch, and not like the system won't have one in the box. Ok, not saying anymore. Sorry.

I'm betting it will be something negative relating to headsets. Like most won't be supported or something similar.

viveks86

This is true. Doesn't mean he doesn't have legit info though. CBOAT doesn't seem to like MS much but he drops bombs like whoa.

CBOAT is verified. I'm cool with insiders. Just being cautious about who the real ones are. Especially when the "news" is negative.

Anyway, tomorrow isn't far away.

Being positive just to be positive has zero value to any thinking individual. If someone has something actually positive to share, they should share it. Otherwise, pretending something deserves a shred of positivity if you legitimately don't think it does is worthless to everyone involved (Note: I'm not saying XBO doesn't deserve praise. Quite the contrary... my two most anticipated next-gen games are on the system, for example, with Forza 5 and Crimson Dragon. I'm saying if we went to that extreme, a person should not feign positivity and it does not devalue their merit. Criticism is the most powerful tool any consumer has.

This is your problem in a nutshell - you assume people are HATING FOR NO REASON. You say "its been months", refusing to acknowledge all the massive issues Microsoft has had since then.

This is why this ends up frustrating. It's not that Xbox One can't be your platform of choice, isn't awesome, isn't worth money. It's that some of those who are sticking to that boat refuse to accept the reality of what Microsoft deserved and still in many ways deserves.

Same as Sony deserves and will continue to deserve shit for a while if DriveClub is delayed and they have no free game to replace it.

Every product has positives. Even the ones you dislike. When i see someone focus only on negatives when the entire point of the OP is giving out impressions, i just don't buy it. Its not possible. And maybe he doesn't know any better but it doesn't change the fact that i cant take any of that seriously.

And no matter how bad it was when it was announced, fact of the matter is it was not launched in that way. The Xbox has changed since and the company for the most-part has even restructured including the Xbox division. Does that in itself deserve a perfect score off the bat? Of course not. But it does deserve at the very least an unbiased second look at it. I'm not seeing a lot of that in here and i haven't seen much if it since E3. A lot of people have had the minds made up then and not a lot has changed since.

Im not saying don't criticize what you don't like, but when i see but a repeat of nothing BUT that, its getting to the "ridiculous" levels.

Edit: And as for drive club being delayed, it sucks but i rather see them do that then to deliver something that isnt as good just to have it out.

I don't get how they could mess up the controller. All they had to do was fix the d-pad and the bumpers. One billion well spent.

AmyS

It's obvious that neither Xbox One nor PS4 are the kind of leap we saw going from PS2/Xbox to 360/PS3. Whereas the leap in GPU from that gen to current gen was perhaps 10-15x edit: and maybe more (a very, very rough estimate) we're now seeing something like a 6-8x leap in GPU from current to next gen. Note I am talking in terms of raw GPU FLOPS not considering other things like newer shader model, main memory, etc.

The Xbox One GPU, although it is much more efficient and is more feature-rich, really only has as much raw shader performance as the Radeon HD 4800 (RV770) released in 2008. That card was 1.2 tflops.

To be honest, the PS4 GPU, while somewhat stronger, is not all that much more powerful only 50% more. That is significant but by no means an overwhelming difference.

So what I'm trying to say here is that neither next-gen console represents the huge leaps we've seen in previous generational transitions like PS1 / N64 to DC/PS2/GCN/Xbox and to 360/PS3.

Pennywise

tumblr_m94un0HGti1qiy02no1_500.gif

It's not that difficult.

What is this thread about

Our usernames may make us enemies, but your avatar is awesome! :p

And dammit with the vague "bad things happening" stuff... WHY!? Why must this dark cloud hang over the thread now? :)

But seriously, man, what's stopping you from spilling it? Why mention it at all if you're just going to overdeliver on vagueness.

SLY_

Banned
Being positive just to be positive has zero value to any thinking individual. If someone has something actually positive to share, they should share it. Otherwise, pretending something deserves a shred of positivity if you legitimately don't think it does is worthless to everyone involved (Note: I'm not saying XBO doesn't deserve praise. Quite the contrary... my two most anticipated next-gen games are on the system, for example, with Forza 5 and Crimson Dragon. I'm saying if we went to that extreme, a person should not feign positivity and it does not devalue their merit for it.) Criticism is the most powerful tool any consumer has.

This is your problem in a nutshell - you assume people are HATING FOR NO REASON. You say "its been months", refusing to acknowledge all the massive issues Microsoft has had since then.

This is why this ends up frustrating. It's not that Xbox One can't be your platform of choice, isn't awesome, isn't worth money. It's that some of those who are sticking to that boat refuse to accept the reality of what Microsoft deserved and still in many ways deserves.

Same as Sony deserves and will continue to deserve shit for a while if DriveClub is delayed and they have no free game to replace it.

What is that they deserve exactly? All I see is a company making a console, making games, letting folks play the games, having employees "attempt" to interact w/ the community of GAF and yet because they had an idea that the community didn't want or wasn't ready for, we're supposed to continue with this ridiculous idea of a crusade against the evil empire?

Get over yourself dude. It ain't that serious.

netBuff

Without even thinking for too long, you can come up with ways of doing this, especially in the way that the poster you were referring to was suggesting: (Emphasis Mine)

It is still completely unrealistic, even if MS did do a huge amount of data mining (I don't count the SmartGlass scenario as part of the outlined prerequisites, and even then privacy concerns would prevent this kind of feature to exist): The chance for false recognition to occur (which is potentially very disruptive to another person and its privacy as well as the current play session) is still much too high.

It's a damn shame we have to be so cynical about our hobby.

I wonder if bird watchers fight to the death over their activities?

"That wasn't a swallow, that was a red-wing blackbird, you fucking troll!"

#dead

As much as I liked it, trying the PS4 in person mainly confirmed that it was a refinement of current-gen more than a revolution. There wasn't the same sense of "holy shit this will move gaming forward" or "I can't believe I can finally play games that look/run/do stuff like this" as in generations past. If the Xone is notably worse in comparison...ugh.

aravuus

I didn't get to play on any of the next-gen consoles yet, but as a PC gamer who games of 1440p 60FPS in my singleplayer games I don't think I'll be impressed with anything coming from these "Next-gen" systems for a few years.

What, only 60fps? What a pleb!

Juancho confuses me

Amir0x

Banned
Every product has positives. Even the ones you dislike. When i see someone focus only on negatives when the entire point of the OP is giving out impressions, i just don't buy it. Its not possible. And maybe he doesn't know any better but it doesn't change the fact that i cant take any of that seriously.

Again, it's totally possible. I've had similar all negative experiences on events such as this.

Events such as this are really poor places to get a great feel for the console. It's not particularly intimate, the conditions aren't always great, you're not necessarily playing the games you want. You don't really get the feel for the depth of things like the UI or Kinect functionality.

In all, the takeaway is simply events like this can foster extreme opinions in one direction or the other. That's always been true. Because of this, it's totally likely one can walk away from such an event with little if anything positive to say.

That you cannot conceive of this just says you have a very limited imagination since it's not even a particularly rare event.

And no matter how bad it was when it was announced, fact of the matter is it was not launched in that way. The Xbox has changed since and the company for the most-part has even restructured including the Xbox division. Does that in itself deserve a perfect score off the bat? Of course not. But it does deserve at the very least an unbiased second look at it. I'm not seeing a lot of that in here and i haven't seen much if it since E3. A lot of people have had the minds made up then and not a lot has changed since.

Im not saying don't criticize what you don't like, but when i see but a repeat of nothing BUT that, its getting to the ridiculous levels.

The problems with the XBO remain persistent, and were not merely related to the DRM and such. They have remained since the 180s constant delays, changes to plans, alterations to promised features, significantly reduction in launch plans (to 13 countries), now Kinect voice features won't even be fully available in each of those 13 countries, everything remains behind a paywall unlike its competitors, it still is forcing people to pay $100 extra for a device most don't want (and which is in no way justified by the launch content in any event, their Kinect flagship title being delayed to 2014), the constant misleading FUD regarding its power and PS4's. I can seriously write a book on the amount of PR fudge ups since the 180s. There is still PLENTY to hold Microsoft to task for.

And, for emphasis, even if none of that happened, they still would deserve the lack of trust. It's important to note that after Sony's 2006, it took them years to fully recover in the community and they nearly lost it all with the hacking scandal. What Microsoft attempted was infinitely worse than anything from Sony regarding consumer rights, and they continue to claim it was a problem with messaging, not intent. So now everyone buying the system has to be skeptical that they'd be lining their pockets so that they can fuck consumers with the next Xbox.

But the point is: Like Sony, it's going to take years to fully recover the trust they gained ovr the years. And it's only right. You can't say "its been months, get over it." Nobody should. When consumers get complacent, they get taken advantage of. Microsoft will deserve the extra scrutiny for some time and you should probably accept that and respond to why you disagree with any criticisms rather than get annoyed by "excessive hate."

In the end, it's up to you - I'm simply suggesting a path that might contribute to a healthier conversation when you're involved. And maybe we'd get somewhere, no?

shandy706

(repeating what someone else said)

I already addressed that.

Question. Do you only have a problem when someone want's pics if you agree/like/lean towards the OPs preference?

I think the guy did go. I still want pics to see the setups and games. I'd be happy to see any media that's new or feeds my next-gen lust to see more.

Take a deep breathe, now tell me if you would be so vigilant about my post if I were questioning a negative PS4 (Wii U/Vita/etc) post about hands on from someone who shows a dislike for the given system well beforehand?

I'd love pics in that situation too. You seem almost offended that I wanted to see all the stuff he got to play. Ridiculous really...I won't address this. I believe the man went...I believe he felt the way he did. I still want pics for the sake of any media.

Wonder what it is...the suspense...

I'm going to an Xbox event on Saturday, so I'll be able to form my own opinion of that new controller and see how Forza looks in person.

Obscured

No that should not be "/thread" by itself. Almost everyone on this board has preferences and their impressions shouldn't automatically be discounted if they seem like legit impressions.

Totally agree with this, in fact I think people should embrace their biases and stand behind them. You shouldn't have to apologize for why have a particular stance, but you should be able to back that stance up, not just with facts and figures but also your own values.

No one should have to add IMO at the end of any statement, of course it is always your opinion. That opinion is typically informed by some knowledge and others will often weigh the validity and importance of your opinion based an that knowledge but there is also an element of values and what you consider important. It should not be necessary to give the full context of where you are coming from before posting, hopefully your discussion point has enough meat on its own, but if there is more context you also shouldn't be ignored out of hand.

As far as threads go the OP was much more calm about his negativity than a lot of threads I've seen previously. It can be argued that this shouldn't have been a new thread and should have just been added to the other tour impression thread, but that is a mod choice, isn't it? He could have gone on an obscenity-laced diatribe and he still might have a point about the bumpers or the visual quality. When I read that I think, 'hmm, that doesn't feel like what my impressions will be, can't wait till I can get my hands on it and then add my personal thoughts on the matter'.

At this point I see nothing I can discount, I think based on my past experience with the 360 controller it is hard to imagine it being messed up, but it certainly could be. My bias is not that I don't believe his experience, but that I do not think it will impact mine. One thing it does for me though is give me something to specifically pay attention to once I do have an opportunity. If I was really concerned I would ask more questions as oppose to questioning the OP's reasons for his thoughts. Like, is it the material the bumpers are made of, did your fingers slip off so you can't hit them, do they dig in uncomfortably, did you try holding the controller any different ways to see if something else felt better, do they not respond quickly enough, etc...?

I don't expect to be blown away at launch by graphics(but think they will be good enough), I hope to be blown away by the experience and I'm not sure how much any demo experience can offer up what that is really going to be like. If I am being honest with myself though I am buying these consoles for their potential and am fully aware of what the pitfalls of that can be.

Sorry for the meta rant, just feels like something I've seen a lot lately (probably cyclic and happens all of the time)

Ebomb

Banned
One of the main reasons I preordered the One was to have an Amazing October 18th, 2013. This concerns me. In all seriousness, I'm not a racer or an open world guy so this weeks news hasn't affected me, but can we stop getting negative announcements one month pre launch for either of these systems? Pretty please?

Madness

So Launch games are well launch games and should never be used to judge any console

XB1 will have pretty exclusives, I'm pro-sony or whatever and I know this to be fact

Quips about controller is more interesting

Overall it certainly sounds like a good controller still but less consistently well-received than X360's controller

Since when did this become a rule? Some of the best games have been launch games. Super Mario 64, Halo:CE etc.

A poor launch lineup reflects on the state of the industry and console makers. Either wait till you have killer launch games, or don't launch the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom