• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Relevant to Xbox

I think there is something to this actually. Microsoft is always in a unique position because of their size. They have a lot of effing data. Their problem is it really does feel like they rely on it far too much. They have trouble predicting the future in a timely manner.

I look at something like the Xbox One which was designed as a box to go with your cable box. Which...hello...anyone could of figured out that was a bad idea but the data told them otherwise. On the flip side you have their digital policies they were trying to go with, which to this day I stand by was a good idea, but they were about 8 years too early.

I find it so bazzare that they went with such radical policies in the digital space in terms of software rights when there really wasn't any reason to but then focused the entire box design and philosophies as a product around Netflix usage data.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Welcome.

It was always my intent to own both consoles. Series X was always going to be first, as I’ve been with Xbox since the 360 and I have invested heavily in the ecosystem over the years (currently own 5 Xbox consoles). But there was always some curiosity and intrigue when the big Sony exclusive titles would roll out to great acclaim. Clearly, I was missing out on some amazing gaming experiences never having owned a PlayStation. So, at the start of this new gen I found myself retired (have been so for 6 years) and blessed to have the financial means to own both new consoles. Through luck and perseverance I managed to snag a Series X at launch. I wasn’t desperate for a PS5 at launch, the plan was to wait at least 6 months before I would seriously try to track one down.

But....something has changed with my plan. Can’t quite pin it down to one thing, but I think the combo of the PS5 design/size (don’t care for it) and this coil whine issue....as well as the fact that Xbox has impressed me so much with the Series X itself and Game Pass and their portfolio of studios...well, it has had the effect of making me not nearly as certain that I’ll make the leap over to PlayStation for the first time in my gaming life.

And then there is the PS fan base....I don’t console war myself, but I’ve seen enough on this forum from that side that it sort of turns me off the brand a bit. Hostile_18 Hostile_18 , what you’ve put up with in the “PS5 coil whine thread” is fairly indicative of what I’m talking about. I originally followed that thread so that I could try to discern just how big an issue the coil whine thing was. But my biggest takeaway from it was how toxic some are in defending their gaming box at all costs. So, it just feels like I’m going to fully immerse myself in what Xbox is doing for now and continue to enjoy the heck out of it. I may revisit the PS5 issue at some point in the future if they either redesign the thing or prove they have built a silent console.

Great post. I think the Sony exclusives are definitely worth playing (for me some are the best gaming has to offer) but yeah I 100% advise waiting because theres nothing worse than a box that makes high pitched noises you can hear in any silent/quiet scenes. I'm sure there will be stealth revisions down the road.

Yeah that thread was pretty tough going but it was only a handful of "fans" that couldn't handle any Sony criticism. It's my fault for engaging with them, I spent so much time reasoning with one person then when I finally provided my gamer tag I got accused of lending a friends PS5.. so even evidence wasn't good enough lol.

Nikana Nikana you almost had me too because it's all things that have been directed at me 😂

So how long before I get invited to the "secret xbox discord' I've heard so much about? 😛

DaGwaphics

I think there is something to this actually. Microsoft is always in a unique position because of their size. They have a lot of effing data. Their problem is it really does feel like they rely on it far too much. They have trouble predicting the future in a timely manner.

I look at something like the Xbox One which was designed as a box to go with your cable box. Which...hello...anyone could of figured out that was a bad idea but the data told them otherwise. On the flip side you have their digital policies they were trying to go with, which to this day I stand by was a good idea, but they were about 8 years too early.

I find it so bazzare that they went with such radical policies in the digital space in terms of software rights but when there really wasn't any reason to think people wanted it but focused the entire box design and philsophies of it as a product around netflix watch data.

I actually liked most of the digital vision behind the original X1 concept. I think people just blew things out of proportion without really thinking about it. We could have had a digital market with sharing, a resale marketplace, etc., instead we spurned all of that but still went digital anyway without the perks. 🤷‍♂️

I've always thought they should have made a special version of the X1 for TV providers that incorporated DVR and CableCARD support, might have flown off the shelves or sank like a stone.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Great post. I think the Sony exclusives are definitely worth playing (for me some are the best gaming has to offer) but yeah I 100% advise waiting because theres nothing worse than a box that makes high pitched noises you can hear in any silent/quiet scenes. I'm sure there will be stealth revisions down the road.

Yeah that thread was pretty tough going but it was only a handful of "fans" that couldn't handle any Sony criticism. It's my fault for engaging with them, I spent so much time reasoning with one person then when I finally provided my gamer tag I got accused of lending a friends PS5.. so even evidence wasn't good enough lol.

Nikana Nikana you almost had me too because it's all things that have been directed at me 😂

So how long before I get invited to the "secret xbox discord' I've heard so much about? 😛

I learned the hard way trying to fight with the fanboys. Had my own mini meltdown and such. There is no reasoning with the console defenders from either side. Kudos to never losing your cool.

Also to get invited to the xbox Discord you have to reach 100k gamerscore and get the secret Xbox Tattoo on your forearm.

I actually liked most of the digital vision behind the original X1 concept. I think people just blew things out of proportion without really thinking about it. We could have had a digital market with sharing, a resale marketplace, etc., instead we spurned all of that but still went digital anyway without the perks. 🤷‍♂️

I've always thought they should have made a special version of the X1 for TV providers that incorporated DVR and CableCARD support, might have flown off the shelves or sank like a stone.

I really think the biggest issue with the 2013 fiasco was the way they presented it. You had different people in the media getting told different things and when it came to things like borrowing games or trading them in there was a big fat TBD on everything. If you were going for such a radical change you have to be on fucking point with your messaging and thats where it fell. I mean you had an exec out there saying buy a 360 instead. Like obviously he wasn't going to say buy a PS4 but he might as well of. It was beyond embarrassing.

But i actually agree. As someone who games with people not in the same state it was a cool idea to share my games with them. If that original process would of happened I firmly believe we would be much farther along with things like digital resale and return policies that favor the consumer far more.

DaGwaphics

I really think the biggest issue with the 2013 fiasco was the way they presented it. You had different people in the media getting told different things and when it came to things like borrowing games or trading them in there was a big fat TBD on everything. If you were going for such a radical change you have to be on fucking point with your messaging and thats where it fell. I mean you had an exec out there saying buy a 360 instead. Like obviously he wasn't going to say buy a PS4 but he might as well of. It was beyond embarrassing.

True. They definitely should have had a complete plan for everything, even if the bugs weren't completely worked out on the software side at the time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
True. They definitely should have had a complete plan for everything, even if the bugs weren't completely worked out on the software side at the time.
I believe even third party publishers were not told of the policies at that point. I remember someone at Ubisoft saying something along the lines of " we have to asses the policy before we make a statement."

Like...what? Its just baffling.

Roberts

While waiting for The Medium to drop, I finally decided to play Observer Redux a bit. I tried out the original back in the day, but never got into it for the reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself. So, it's by far my favorite Bloober game: could be that the setting and lack of typical horror tropes did the trick, but it's a really creepy (in the best way) sci-fi noir with a pinch of pitch-black humour. No Ray-Tracing for us Xboxers, but the game has two visual settings. Sub-4K is 60 fps (pretty steady) and and way less steady 4K, but because the game is deliberately slow, I went with 4K, because it looks really fucking good.

oldergamer

Well after 4 (!) PS5's 3 with coil whine and one with a not great fan I've sold my PS5 and I'm an exclusive XBOX gamer for a while, like the old days. Refunded Cyberpunk on the PS5 and bought it for the Xbox.

Let me bathe in your pure green light. Embrace me, embrace meeeee.
Welcome to the team green with envy.

- wait I mean - ahhh shite

Well after 4 (!) PS5's 3 with coil whine and one with a not great fan I've sold my PS5 and I'm an exclusive XBOX gamer for a while, like the old days. Refunded Cyberpunk on the PS5 and bought it for the Xbox.

Let me bathe in your pure green light. Embrace me, embrace meeeee.

Welcome 🫂 to the Elite Humble club aka Stealthy Silent Beast. Speaking of PS5, mine is collecting dust, no gamesahemexclusives drought atm.

Good move selling PS5 for profit while its hawt, cause by mid-end of the year some exclusives should be out by then. I rushed myself into the hype so no biggie while Keeping my eye on revisioned hardware. LE bundles should be out alongside exclusives sometime this year.

Man, Hitman 3 really has some people fucked up. I am sitting here all day playing Genshin Impact on my PS5 just checking in on that thread every few hours to see what the new spin is.

No sane individuals would go such extents..its @#$% embarrassin mods had to change A THREAD TITTLE???!! Because of S|X dominance ..you fo real??! Buncha Manchild wussies..

They're fn annoying and irritating to the bone, one of the main reasons I can't entertain these knuckleheads in any discussion because you would have to step down to their low level never ending chit-chats. What You have is: chubbster city no life kneckbeards rocking 10-15k messages under their account-who got nothing but time on their hands.. YOU GOT no chance against these idiots ..let it go. Put VS threads on ignore all together. Btw, H3 thread Approaching 3k !! Funny, how DF is bad now but weeks ago they were mad cool, a 2nd Jesus comin.

S|X is going to be the norm, a dominating platform throughout this generation..they can't come into terms and admit the inevitable.

Shits mind-boggling man, they feed off VS's OT's and gang attack you if you not on their side..Conclusion, these clowns born with a different DNA a next gen of Breed basically 🤭

Fredrik

No idea if it’s a software or hardware issue but I just lost about 50 hours of AC Valhalla.

Yup.

Manually saved at the wrong time or something, then I got a bunch of weird duplicate auto saves. Then I couldn’t load any saves at all. Restarted the game and *poof* the spammed auto saves were gone but now I was back to almost the beginning.

Uninstalled it.

No idea if it’s a software or hardware issue but I just lost about 50 hours of AC Valhalla.

Yup.

Manually saved at the wrong time or something, then I got a bunch of weird duplicate auto saves. Then I couldn’t load any saves at all. Restarted the game and *poof* the spammed auto saves were gone but now I was back to almost the beginning.

Uninstalled it.
Thats nuts.....I know saves are supposedly synced online, I have had luck doing a hard reset and then saves have synced and shown up again....

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Yup.

Uninstalled it.

Love the game but it's buggy af after the last patch. It fixed QR, but now I constantly get some 'can't connect to Ubi server' or something when trying to save, games loses my opals then they later appear again or it doesn't add new opals I find to the total and it occasionally completely freezes for a few seconds.

Other than QR not working for me, I didn't encounter any of these issues before the last patch.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was able to install cyber shadow through the app but it's not registering I own it yet via GP. What a tease!

I know it's not tomorrow yet but a guy can dream.

asocirev

Something similar happened to me back on the Xbox One while I was playing Black Flag. I lost 75% of my progress (was working in achievements) and I just uninstalled it. Since then I never leave games “suspended”. I close everything and start fresh every time LOL. I probably need to get over that son I can enjoy quick resume!

Nice to see there’s still a weekly GamePass concern troll thread.
They are just very salty

TooMuchSalt.w830.web.jpg

Fredrik

Love the game but it's buggy af after the last patch. It fixed QR, but now I constantly get some 'can't connect to Ubi server' or something when trying to save, games loses my opals then they later appear again or it doesn't add new opals I find to the total and it occasionally completely freezes for a few seconds.

Other than QR not working for me, I didn't encounter any of these issues before the last patch.
Yeah the Ubi server connection issues popped up a lot for me as well. Always had the max amount of saves too. Guess I should’ve payed more attention to those issues, I’m guessing it reverted to whatever had been saved on Ubi servers, which apparently wasn’t a lot. I had the corrupt save issue at the beginning but that got fixed after a patch.

Losing saves is the worst kind of problem a game can have imo, I rather play at 15fps than lose saves. I barely had time to play it at all with kids and all and violence making it impossible to play during day time, always played at night sacrificing sleep, and health. But no more. I started reading through endings now, won’t likely touch the game again.

sainraja

I find it so bazzare that they went with such radical policies in the digital space in terms of software rights when there really wasn't any reason to but then focused the entire box design and philosophies as a product around Netflix usage data.
The 24-h check-in policy was not in any way shape or form a good idea; this policy alone ruined any other good ideas or policies that they may have had. This makes me wonder, how does Steam handle content verification? Do they actually check every 24 hours or something? Or just the fact you are logged-in?

As for radical polices when in a digital space, well, I wouldn't go so far by saying that....as software licensing does exist on PC. So many companies are already handling that. You are issued a license and depending on the licensee there are certain rules e.g. number of devices, etc etc. I know they also talked about some other nice things but that info was shared after the backlash, more as a "Well if you hadn't responded so negatively we were also going to have all these other nice features." Basically, the messaging was all over the place.

People weren't against being able to rent/borrow/share their copies of the games so it's unfair to just say they were 8 years too early. No they weren't, they just did a poor job of communicating these nice to have/quality of life features. They did mess up. People would have given them a chance if it wasn't for that. It's easy to forget now given how long it has been.

Last edited:

Yup.

Uninstalled it.

Man this is such a bummer. I feel for you. I randomly lost about 20 hours of my Horizon Zero Dawn save back when I switched from PS4 to PS4 Pro and I never went back to finish it. Deflating when you lost so much progress and investment in a game.

When Ubi announced their universal cross-saves I wondered if something like this could pop up as bugs get ironed out.

Honestly, I am fine if they don't show anything new until the summer. Get the game as polished as possible, don't show it until it is truly ready for primetime. I have faith the game will deliver.

Plot twist.....

Its run by the spec thread crew

There is probably more truth to this than we can imagine. I really wouldn't be surprised. So much strange behaviors ever since the Hive infiltrated forums and social media early last year.

Top Bottom