• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

BlueHawk357

Noticed that as well but... What the hell are those?
Okay, so Impulse Triggers came out with the original Xbox One. It's the weird feeling you feel in the Triggers when Driving or Shooting, etc.

We have had it for a long time and it hasn't really been advertised on a game box before. So why are they doing it now?

Have they been updated? Or are they just doing it to try to keep up with the PS5 updated Triggers?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Okay, so Impulse Triggers came out with the original Xbox One. It's the weird feeling you feel in the Triggers when Driving or Shooting, etc.

We have had it for a long time and it hasn't really been advertised on a game box before. So why are they doing it now?

Have they been updated? Or are they just doing it to try to keep up with the PS5 updated Triggers?

Thanks, didn't know that. If it's te same 7yo tech that's been used with XB1, then I think they're marketing it now as a counter to Haptic Feedback, rather than anything new/upgraded.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I hope they actually get used more. Surprisingly awesome in Forza, but I barely know any other games that try to use them.

It almost feels like the Hydro Thunder arcade cabinet for your hands, when all four rumble spots (left and right side, left and right triggers) are working in concert.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I hope they actually get used more. Surprisingly awesome in Forza, but I barely know any other games that try to use them.

It almost feels like the Hydro Thunder arcade cabinet for your hands, when all four rumble spots (left and right side, left and right triggers) are working in concert.

I find it weird how many games just flat out dont use them in any capacity. I remember Watch Dogs used them for when you were in cars and it changed gears you'd get a little rumble. Even that is better than nothing.

DrDamn

In main line Forza games it has such a big impact in terms of feeling your way round corners, when and how quickly you can apply the power. It's a feature that helped sell the original X1 to me. The Forza Horizon series never implemented it as well unfortunately - not without a fair amount of setting faff and adjustment.

The inclusion on the back of XSX|S game boxes now is definitely seems to be a marketing push to counter the haptics stuff in PS5 though. I had to search and check but the same isn't on the back of the Forza Horizon 4 or Forza 7 boxes (Or AC Odyssey for that matter).

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I find it weird how many games just flat out dont use them in any capacity.

I think that's how the DualSense will end up too - all these fancy features which everyone's raving about now but they'll end up hardly used. The trackpad on the DS4 ended up as a giant menu button, the lights were useless and the speaker was hardly ever heard.

-Arcadia-

Banned
In main line Forza games it has such a big impact in terms of feeling your way round corners, when and how quickly you can apply the power. It's a feature that helped sell the original X1 to me. The Forza Horizon series never implemented it as well unfortunately - not without a fair amount of setting faff and adjustment.

The inclusion on the back of XSX|S game boxes now is definitely seems to be a marketing push to counter the haptics stuff in PS5 though. I had to search and check but the same isn't on the back of the Forza Horizon 4 or Forza 7 boxes (Or AC Odyssey for that matter).

Honestly, even in Horizon they were good for this purpose, for me. I’ve yet to play a proper modern Forza on Xbox, though.

I’m quite impressed by what I’ve heard of the haptics in the PS5 controller, but I think this would be a solid counter. The actual intensity of these things is insane, and really fun, with, as you mentioned, potential for feedback in gameplay.

If it takes a competitor for them to finally be used, cool, I guess. It will be like a brand new feature across most games, lol.

That said...

I think that's how the DualSense will end up too - all these fancy features which everyone's raving about now but they'll end up hardly used. The trackpad on the DS4 ended up as a giant menu button, the lights were useless and the speaker was hardly ever heard.

Yep. The same fate Switch HD Rumble met in a lot of cases. It’s probably one of the more successful features, but is phoned in 99% of the time.

Astro comes across as a hard sell to not only gamers, but devs, to actually use this.

In all three cases, I hope it actually is.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I think the thing about the dualsense is that it has more applications and possibilities or it to be used where as the rumble triggers just have less range of applications. But it could end up boiling down to only one or two of the same type of feed back sort of templated over the market vs 0 of the rumble triggers. Such as kickback from a gun or resistance on a bow being the only two things you see in 90 percent of games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Oh, 2020. This is the female character in the game, btw.

nLY2z2C.jpg

Male character:

nX6kV6O.jpg

DrDamn

No. Why would it turn?

Well so it doesn't, my bad. So why is it round? If it's fixed and non-removable then it's sole purpose seems to be to make the console look shite when on it's side then? Why not do something like mimic the top with some inconspicuous little feet in each corner. I thought the reason it was round and fixed was because it supported being smoothly turned on the base. Now it just seems even weirder. Apologies to @Hix it does indeed seem to be the disc eject access - and the base is cleverly designed to be in the way of it ... :confused:

Andodalf

Banned
Well so it doesn't, my bad. So why is it round? If it's fixed and non-removable then it's sole purpose seems to be to make the console look shite when on it's side then? Why not do something like mimic the top with some inconspicuous little feet in each corner. I thought the reason it was round and fixed was because it supported being smoothly turned on the base. Now it just seems even weirder. Apologies to @Hix it does indeed seem to be the disc eject access - and the base is cleverly designed to be in the way of it ... :confused:

It acts as a spacer between the console and the ground. The Console intakes air through the bottom, it has to have a stand or it's intakes would be blocked

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It is required to keep the console off the ground enough to allow for airflow. Why not use feet instead? That I can't answer.
I agree it looks like crap on its side.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It acts as a spacer between the console and the ground. The Console intakes air through the bottom, it has to have a stand or it's intakes would be blocked

And if you could take it off, someone would inevitably put their Series X vertical without it, and cook it.

It sucks, but I see why.

DrDamn

Something that little feet on each corner would allow for more of. :)

It is required to keep the console off the ground enough to allow for airflow. Why not use feet instead? That I can't answer.
I agree it looks like crap on its side.

Yeah that's my point really. There are lots of other more attractive alternatives. Maybe there was a design change at some point and this was a compromise.

Andodalf

Banned
Something that little feet on each corner would allow for more of. :)

Absolutely not. To ensure airflow there needs to be something in the middle to keep it up. Kids are going to put this thing on carpet. A console dying because it was put on carpet is RROD 2.0

DrDamn

Absolutely not. To ensure airflow there needs to be something in the middle to keep it up. Kids are going to put this thing on carpet. A console dying because it was put on carpet is RROD 2.0

How does this keep it up any more than feet of the same size in each corner? I suppose feet can sink into carpet more easily?

Modern consoles are much better protected than older ones too. If they get too hot they shut down, giving a helpful message (like don't put me on a carpet you muppet!), before any damage is done. :D

Rossco EZ

where is the cheapest place (i’m from UK btw) to buy the expansion card? also what is the earliest you guys expect these to have a price drop/sale?

Last edited:

KnightStorm

Neo Member
Anyone else wondered about the service life of the Series X|S external SSD as it's only got a few small prongs of aluminium pressing down on the case? Surely the heat generated over the space of a year of regular daily use may affect the life expectancy of it?

splattered

Anyone else wondered about the service life of the Series X|S external SSD as it's only got a few small prongs of aluminium pressing down on the case? Surely the heat generated over the space of a year of regular daily use may affect the life expectancy of it?

I worry about the life of the components in all next gen consoles to be honest... will be interesting to see if they last more than 3 years without issues.

Last edited:

reksveks

I might be the only person that is obsessed with the local xbox streaming with a phone+kishi experience but who else would love there to be a row of quick resume available games within the app that you could use and just use to jump into games

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I might be the only person that is obsessed with the local xbox streaming with a phone+kishi experience but who else would love there to be a row of quick resume available games within the app that you could use and just use to jump into games

Have you gotten it to stream for your console straight to your phone like the PC App? I cant figure out a way for it to not go through a MS server in home.

reksveks

Have you gotten it to stream for your console straight to your phone like the PC App? I cant figure out a way for it to not go through a MS server in home.
Using the xbox app on android, the current process is
- go to xbox app
- top right, you should see a console icon, click on it
- choose remote play on this device
- click on the games once you have connected to the xbox

I want the new process to be
- go to xbox app
- see list of games that is saved on local xbox
- click to connect and start the game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Using the xbox app on android, the current process is
- go to xbox app
- top right, you should see a console icon, click on it
- choose remote play on this device
- click on the games once you have connected to the xbox

I want the new process to be
- go to xbox app
- see list of games that is saved on local xbox
- click to connect and start the game.

Been awhile since I tried but I think I did it that way but it still wanted to go through a server and not straight from my router to my phone. I will have to give it a shot later.

longdi

Banned
Remember when we were surprised about this, somehow Series X can run Gears 5 as fast as 2080Ti
n6pF1Dt.png

So now that we seen AMD rDNA2 in action, AMD releasing numbers which places 6800 as clearly faster than 2080Ti in Gears 5. (~71fps)
Ab1IZB6.png

Extrapolating, Series X performs as good as 2080Ti is still in line(60fps).
But at that, Series X is only around 20% slower than 6800!

Series X: 52 rDNA2 CU at 1825mhz (sustained) at 10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s
6800: 60 rDNA2 CU at 1815mhz (game clocks) at 16GB at 512GB/s + 128MB Infinity Cache with up to >2X bandwidth multiplier

Series X has 15% less CU than 6800, loss of Infinity Cache, so translating to a 20% in game deficit is imo reasonable.

$499 for a full gaming system thats only 20% slower
vs
$578 for a 6800 alone.

MS are wizard$, or Santa if you want.

Last edited:

reksveks

Been awhile since I tried but I think I did it that way but it still wanted to go through a server and not straight from my router to my phone. I will have to give it a shot later.
I haven't blacklist the servers so can't say that it isn't checking in with their server but it definitely feels like its just local streaming the xbox feed to me, for better and worse.

reksveks

Whats your up and down speeds?

I am in a new build in the UK so on Hyperoptic's 300MB up and down plan, it generally hits that. Although I would also mention that my router isn't properly setup for gaming, haven't done the DMZ zone properly or any of the other settings that probably should do.

reksveks

Man i would love HBO max over here in the uk

Same, the Sky Atlantic deal means that it ain't going to happen soon but i don't know when it will end.

This is coming to GamePass day of release isn't it?

Yep, already waiting to download it, need to get Tales of Vesperia finished first.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am in a new build in the UK so on Hyperoptic's 300MB up and down plan, it generally hits that. Although I would also mention that my router isn't properly setup for gaming, haven't done the DMZ zone properly or any of the other settings that probably should do.
Well GD lol. I am rocking with only 10 mb up and I can feel the lag.

Top Bottom