• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X running hot according to Journalists (Zero Noise, but Hot temperature )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumle

the air coming out being hot.. good thing!

the console getting hot.. Bad thing!!

hopefully the same happens with the PS5 or there is a problem ;)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just as long as it don't overheat I can't see the problem.
How hot are we talking about?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don’t speak Japanese. But are the reviewers REALLY not allowed to touch it at all??? Or is this some inside joke that I don’t get? Because I don’t believe that this can be true. Why aren’t they allowed to touch it?
They're not allowed to touch it, which is why there are literally zero videos or photos of them touching it. IIRC in one of the streamers videos they got up and went towards it and were stopped.

the air coming out being hot.. good thing!

the console getting hot.. Bad thing!!

hopefully the same happens with the PS5 or there is a problem ;)
Every single video game console in history has gotten hot. It's not a problem.

freefornow

Gold Member
Um, it doesn't work that way. Yes, the fan is taking the heat out which is good the problem if these claims are true is the heat sink is too small to cool the CPU.

the PS5 according to reports its cooler. meaning probably bigger heat sink.

This guy is confused by the difference between the fan with the heat sink. tells me he knows nothing about this.
The chasis that the split motherboard is mounted to IS part of the cooling on the XSX

Xbox-Series-X_inside_02.jpg

Not sure you can call the heat sink (right side of pic) small

n9w0Zoq1LCfZSez6v_6HrfN0pO3PaOH0fapY3XjfCNg.jpg

Last edited:

Elog

Um, it doesn't work that way. Yes, the fan is taking the heat out which is good the problem if these claims are true is the heat sink is too small to cool the CPU.

the PS5 according to reports its cooler. meaning probably bigger heat sink.

This guy is confused by the difference between the fan with the heat sink. tells me he knows nothing about this.

In fact, he has an Xbox Series X and is infinitely more qualified to comment on whether the Xbox Series X has heat dissipation issues than someone who doesn't (you)

There's multiple sources confirming that any heat being emitted is within the realms of normal.

Firstly - I do not believe that the XSX has a temperature problem.

What Devil pointed out however is the fact that the hotter your exhaust air the less efficient cooling solution you have - everything else being equal. You can test that simple truth yourself by increasing the fan speed on your system to ludicrous levels - the exhaust air temperature will go down everything else being equal (and your cooling is more efficient since the inside of the case has a temperature closer to ambient).

Jeff Grubb should know that - i.e. the hotter the exhaust air, the worse your cooling solution is.

xrnzaaas

I don’t speak Japanese. But are the reviewers REALLY not allowed to touch it at all??? Or is this some inside joke that I don’t get? Because I don’t believe that this can be true. Why aren’t they allowed to touch it?
I won't be surprised if the plastic will scratch very easily.

skneogaf

Has anyone forgotten that the fud also says the series x is silent or at the most very quiet.

If and it's the biggest if ever that the xbox series x is a bit too hot then surely the custom fan that pulls the hot air out of the system could go faster therefore cooler system.

I'm looking forward to seeing both systems tested for thermals and noise levels in the future.

Just as long as it don't overheat I can't see the problem.
How hot are we talking about?

Considerably hot where it's uncomfortable to touch and/or hold. Now while running some graphically intensive game with cutting edge graphics you should and can expect that but for normal operation or standby that is unusual. We don't have access to MS documentation unfortunately. So in the absence of numbers we can only speculate on what that may be. The constant is silent fan, "cooling" (low RPM), the variable is heat, considerable heat. If that's a normal operating regime those sinkplates better be doing gods work cause those components at most will last till manufacturers guaranty. Maybe it's the preview units, some of them being faulty. I do think airflow in that box is too great either. MS little marketing video doesn't hold up to common sense given how that shell covers the whole thing.

Last edited:

Allandor

"sources say" ... oh man. A "journalist" who didn't get access to a xbox series x says sources say.

How long will this rumor prevail? Just to get bad press for MS? Funny thing is, no tester who actually have the console said that.

TLZ

Banned
"sources say" ... oh man. A "journalist" who didn't get access to a xbox series x says sources say.

How long will this rumor prevail? Just to get bad press for MS? Funny thing is, no tester who actually have the console said that.
The guy from the podcast did.

Uhh.........don't we WANT the heat to expel from the console?

Of course.

The reports that are coming in -- which could all be proven to be of little concern -- are that the console emits a level of surprisingly high amount of heat. That's it.

The RROD concerns are valid, however, all the Series X units that have been sent to outlets/cheerleaders are not retail units. So while I understand the 'concern', it's probably best to test final retail hardware to figure out if the heat issue is even an issue at all.

I will say this though. It's fucking peculiar that all outlets haven't tested Series X games and their review units have been running and testing old games that are nowhere near as demanding as the 4K/120fps/raytraced everything games. Strange stuff.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Considerably hot where it's uncomfortable to touch and/or hold. Now while running some graphically intensive game with cutting edge graphics you should and can expect that but for normal operation or standby that is unusual. We don't have access to MS documentation unfortunately. So in the absence of numbers we can only speculate on what that may be. The constant is silent fan, "cooling" (low RPM), the variable is heat, considerable heat. If that's a normal operating regime those sinkplates better be doing gods work cause those components at most will last till manufacturers guaranty. Maybe it's the preview units, some of them being faulty. I do think airflow in that box is too great either. MS little marketing video doesn't hold up to common sense given how that shell covers the whole thing.

Still trying to pedal the same bullshit after your thread got shut down and got yourself a ban warning.

Of course.

The reports that are coming in -- which could all be proven to be of little concern -- are that the console emits a level of surprisingly high amount of heat. That's it.

The RROD concerns are valid, however, all the Series X units that have been sent to outlets/cheerleaders are not retail units. So while I understand the 'concern', it's probably best to test final retail hardware to figure out if the heat issue is even an issue at all.

I will say this though. It's fucking peculiar that all outlets haven't tested Series X games and their review units have been running and testing old games that are nowhere near as demanding as the 4K/120fps/raytraced everything games. Strange stuff.

More concern trolling, albeit more subtle.

1. There are no "reports coming in", there was a guy who picked up an NVME SSD drive, touched it's heatsink and found it hot. Sony console loyalists, such as yourself, suggested he burned himself on the console, he denied this and confirmed the SSD alone was hot.

2. Tom Warren from the Verge is a cheerleader? Ok.

3. RROD concerns are bogus, thousands of hours have been put into Xbox Series X units across the globe already.

4. BC games can actually be more demanding on the hardware, compared to new games optimised for the particular system, as anyone who knows anything about emulation can confirm.

ZehDon

Gold Member
So much baseless speculation presented as informed concern I barely know where to begin.

Is it really unusual? What is the tempreture range of the XSX? How does this compare to the current consoles we have? This is normal range for the RDNA2 hardware specification? How did you record the temp data you must be basing your concern on?
Haven't Microsoft stated that backwards compatible titles gain access to the full clocks of the hardware, meaning we've already seen the XSX's maximum heat profile?
Isn't the PS5 designed around variable clocks but constant power, meaning one could expect its under-load heat profile to mimick its idle heat profile, meaning it will also have high idle temperatures?
"Uncomfortable to touch"? Who are you quoting? What is this person's standard for comfortable?
"Common sense" doesn't apply to thermodynamic design of discrete hardware cooling solutions - how could it when its an engineering field individuals need degrees in? Do you often think the average internet user is equipped to comment on multi-million dollar hardware engineering?
Where are you pulling your comments about the longevity of the components from? Can we see the specifications you're using to base this concern on? Most laptop GPUs can safely operate in the 80 degrees Celsius range. How hot does the XSX get under load? Is this within normal operations?

I look forward to your answers to my questions.

Last edited:
If the room is 30 degrees c that means the console alone will not be "cool to the touch". If the room is 30 degrees c those people would be sweating balls.

You say I'm in denial but you're just sticking up for your favourite piece of plastic from your favourite manufacturer.
1) You asked for receipts. You then get the receipts.

2) You then move the goalposts to fake PS5 being plugged in.

3) And if that wasn't enough you though to move to temperature in the studio where they were demoing the PS5.

4) Then you want video proof of someone actually touching a PS5 in operation.

All I see you doing in this thread:
VelvetyAgileHarrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Keep it straight homie. Sircaw can atleast stay on the point.
Man up, stick to the script. Don't be a pussy.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I just checked his twitter instead of watching clickbait. Seems he doesn't think there is a problem.
No. It's in the first page.

All three sources quoted for this FUD have debunked it.

His tweet does confirm what he said in his video though? He did say it's toasty. That's pretty hot. Whether that causes problems or not is another discussion.

His tweet does confirm what he said in his video though? He did say it's toasty. That's pretty hot. Whether that causes problems or not is another discussion.

His tweet confirms it wasn't a heat problem and that the part being used out of context was him talking about the SSD, not the console.

Nobody denies the Xbox Series X emits heat, it would be more concerning if it didn't.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Thread title : Xbox Series X running hot according to Journalists

The guy from the podcast did.
No, he didnt say XSX is running hot. He was talking about the expansion card in the podcast. The bald guy than talked about how it radiates heat from the top.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
His tweet does confirm what he said in his video though?

Of course you ignore the parts that don't suit the LET'S BE CONCERNED narrative.

His tweet confirms that he doesn't see any problem with the temperature and that Sony fanboys are taking a remark out of context to create a big FUD narrative against the Series X.

Caio

Wait wait, months of jokes about PS5 melting and going on fire, and we just discovered it runs so cool fresh and silent, and now is XSX going on fire ?:D
I gotta love the irony

By the way, I do not believe anything until it's confirmed and sure. I did it for PS5, and I will do the same for XSX as well.

The xbox 360 debuted 15 years ago. 15. If we're going back 2 generations to make current examples of the next one then Demon's Souls and Rachet must be CGI and not gameplay, the PS5 is going to be a jet engine, and it'll have big failure rates too. However, unlike MS they won't extend their warranty and lose $1 billion trying to make things rights, you'll just be expected to get a second job to afford a new one. This is just dumb. The One-X is the most powerful current gen console and also incredibly quiet vs the PS4. The Series X will be a good piece of hardware as well.

Your post makes no sense. Basically because something happened 15 years ago means it can not be repeated? For reference Mclaren recalled latest models 2017-2020 for the possibility of a fire risk in all of them because there was a case that proved it could affect all cars. This is a car company that was founded in 1985, the models in question are $300.000-$1.000.000 . Boeing had decades of success and then they had a dud with 737 MAX. And they have been in the business and thriving since 1916. Just because X1X is well built, doesnt mean the new internals and box shape or fans will work exactly the same. Therefore always a chance that it can go wrong no matter how much RnD or money they throw at it even in 2020.

Also lets be honest here, that 1 bil warranty loss, they did that so that millions of people wouldnt sue them and get hundreds of billions out of MS because they admited that most consoles were knowingly affected. It was them eating a humble pie to stay in the business mand not become the most hated gaming console. They have money, they took one for the team. Not because they are your friendly neighborhood shop but because they didn't want to deal with a way worse outcome that would cripple them for years to come. Also as much cash as they have, if you think that they gave away that 1bil like it was nothing, think again. Tons of people got fired, things got restructured. 1 BILLION is a lot of money for any company.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

This isn’t really a debunk as describing the console as toasty was accurate but they don’t believe it will be an issue.

A lot of others have cited that it’s preview hardware so they may have been warned in advance that preview hardware gets hot but the final is fine.

Bernkastel

Your post makes no sense. Basically because something happened 15 years ago means it can not be repeated?
Because Microsoft has gotten way better in making hardware since than and I don't think anyone from that hardware team is still involved. They now shrink entire PC's to the size of tablets with their Surface products.

kuncol02

Banned
Of course.

It emits 300W of heat. No more no less. What's surprising in that?

What Devil pointed out however is the fact that the hotter your exhaust air the less efficient cooling solution you have - everything else being equal. You can test that simple truth yourself by increasing the fan speed on your system to ludicrous levels - the exhaust air temperature will go down everything else being equal (and your cooling is more efficient since the inside of the case has a temperature closer to ambient).
That's not really true. There is few more variables you omitted.
1. how fast cooling system is distributing heat from chip (thermal conductivity, heat pipes, vapor chamber)
2. how much heat radiators are able to give to air flowing around them. That again depends on multiple variables like radiator size, it's material, color (black radiators emit more radiation) and how much air flows around them.

Orky

Banned
They're not allowed to touch it, which is why there are literally zero videos or photos of them touching it. IIRC in one of the streamers videos they got up and went towards it and were stopped.

wtf okay thought it was a meme or some FUD.
Anyway.
eFHSUP9.jpg

can someone do this with the XSX? This would proof everything easy and fast.

unless they won’t do this, I will call this all a non-issue.

Bernkastel

This isn’t really a debunk as describing the console as toasty was accurate but they don’t believe it will be an issue.

A lot of others have cited that it’s preview hardware so they may have been warned in advance that preview hardware gets hot but the final is fine.
"They don't believe it, but we can draw a conclusion"
29:30 He explains that he was talking about heat radiating from top
29:49 Bald guy says One X does that too
Also, "toasty" does not mean "running hot". He initially talked about the expansion card being hot and couldnt hold, but when calling XSX "toasty" he was hugging it perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Indeed. Fan blowing hot air out...

This is N4G level. No excuses for leaving this thread to fester.
Know what funny? This thread is kept even though it’s complete bullshit, but the mods actually locked a thread by Digital Foundry yesterday because DF dared to equate the PS5 GPU to a RTX 2060 S. Sony fans got mad for some reason, the thread was locked.

Unbelievable that it wasn’t called out either.

cireza

Series X also blows hot air. The console does it pretty silently as well. That's how things are supposed work... It is exactly the same with One X.

Are people so desperate about throwing shade at Series X, that they are trying to turn a positive aspect of the console into a negative one ?

tryDEATH

Its not liquid cooled, no sh*t hot air is going to come out of the box. What do people think the fans function is, if not to move the heat off the CPU/GPU.

It really shows how many people are completely uninformed how PC's work, which is weird, because I could have sworn 95% of people on here were going on how they had gaming PC's and claimed they didn't need a Xbox to play MS exclusives. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Sony fans are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for their spins at this point.

Leyasu

Banned
Know what funny? This thread is kept even though it’s complete bullshit, but the mods actually locked a thread by Digital Foundry yesterday because DF dared to equate the PS5 GPU to a RTX 2060 S. Sony fans got mad for some reason, the thread was locked.

Unbelievable that it wasn’t called out either.

Consistency is not there

TLZ

Banned
His tweet confirms it wasn't a heat problem and that the part being used out of context was him talking about the SSD, not the console.

Nobody denies the Xbox Series X emits heat, it would be more concerning if it didn't.
Thread title : Xbox Series X running hot according to Journalists

No, he didnt say XSX is running hot. He was talking about the expansion card in the podcast. The bald guy than talked about how it radiates heat from the top.
Of course you ignore the parts that don't suit the LET'S BE CONCERNED narrative.

His tweet confirms that he doesn't see any problem with the temperature and that Sony fanboys are taking a remark out of context to create a big FUD narrative against the Series X.
I just watched the video again and he says "The entire thing is a little toasty. "

Entire thing means the console. Not the expansion card. Also:

"It seems like this thing might be doing something while you're not using it, to the point where it needs to exhaust heat". He's obviously surprised it's that hot in standby mode, where he'd expect it to be much cooler since it should hardly be using any power, which isn't the case here. Also, there's heat, and there's toasty heat. I sure want the consoles to get rid of heat, just don't expect it to be superhot.

And Jon Neu Jon Neu , not every concern is a fake fanboy concern. I didn't pre-order the thing to be fake-concerned. I'm not paying a$750 to be fake-concerned. I don't shit money. I AM concerned. I don't want another 360 situation again. I went through that once and I don't want to again. So this information does concern me and I want to know more. Defending a problem serves nobody. If there's a problem we'd all be complaining next month. Do you really want that?

Last edited:

Mmnow

I just watched the video again and he says "The entire thing is a little toasty. "

"It seems like this thing might be doing something while you're not using it, to the point where it needs to exhaust heat". He's obviously surprised it's that hot in standby mode, where he'd expect it to be much cooler since it should hardly be using any power, which isn't the case here. Also, there's heat, and there's toasty heat. I sure want the consoles to get rid of heat, just don't expect it to be superhot.

And Jon Neu Jon Neu , not every concern is a fake fanboy concern. I didn't pre-order the thing to be fake-concerned. I'm not paying a$750 to be fake-concerned. I don't shit money. I AM concerned. I don't want another 360 situation again. I went through that once and I don't want to again. So this information does concern me and I want to know more. Defending a problem serves nobody. If there's a problem we'd all be complaining next month. Do you really want that?
If you're truly concerned about build quality, thats fine. This is a games console and nobody is going to take you hostage until you agree to buy one.

But don't justify that concern with out of context quotes from people who say there's nothing to be concerned about. That's the difference between someone who is worried about a console and then what you're doing.

Tom Warren put it best. These things wouldn't be out in the world if Microsoft had anything to hide.

Entire thing means the console.

He's holding the SSD, the entire discussion was about the SSD and continues to be about the SSD thereafter. He even confirmed this himself on Twitter;

If you are concerned with a story you read saying the 1TB expansion drive "appeared to burn my hand!!" you are of course perfectly welcome to watch the full Beastcast sequence starting here: https://youtu.be/GAFOZWz1S-o?t=1614… Hot to the touch, yes, but clearly did not *burn my hand*

Literally everyone, including Giantbomb Jeff who you are holding to, says there are no issues.

Heat dissipation is normal and by design, saying otherwise is just spreading FUD.

Last edited by a moderator:

sinnergy

Just wait 2 years to buy PS5 and series X and let us beta test for you ! Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom