• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Twitter/X Just Confirmed Their Biggest Games Will Be Multiplatform

I think people are overestimating the overlap between PC and Console market.

Most gamers ONLY have one gaming device, it’s either just a PC or a Console. Very few people game on both devices.

More so, they don’t really eat into each other’s market. Console gaming has a very different appeal, you’ll find that lots of people have their consoles in the family/living room where they can easily pick up and play and the family can easily join in playing. Unlike PC where people usually place them in their bedroom and doesn’t really have a family appeal to it.

I’m trying to be careful with my words, but console is seen as easily accessible and thus appeals to casuals and everyone, whereas PC is seen as hardcore and appeals to serious gamers. Hence, I don’t think Sony releasing games on PC affects PlayStation sales. Sony released virtually no games on PC during PS3 era and sold about 90 million consoles, and released PC games during PS4 era and sold 130 million consoles.

You guys are projecting, you’re the super niche of gamers. Most people don’t have the same consumer behaviour as you guys.
1 console gamer is as valuable as 100 pc gamers and as valuable as 1000 mobile gamers.

the clusterfuck that happened to xbox should be a cautionary tale of how to destroy your brand.

Leonidas

It does come at the cost of worse performance.
Luckily my PC is powerful enough to run every game much faster than PS5 at higher image quality. And it will be even faster when I upgrade again...

How is Demon's Souls Remake on PC?
If it never comes to PC it'll be the first PS5 game I end up buying for my PS5 which I'm currently using only for old PS4 games and PS Classics that carried over from PS3/PSP. I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait another 3.5 years, by then maybe it'll have dropped to $15-$20. I can't justify spending $30-$70 for 1440p60 remake of a game I already beat and could replay the OG on RPCS3 if I wanted.

If it comes to PC, I'll let you know how it is when that time comes, would be glorous at 1440p120 (or higher) :messenger_sun:

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
We didn't know what the Xbox division balance sheet looks like, but don't be surprised if it isn't as bad as the shitty console sales would lead you to believe.
Companies don't hide healthy balance sheets rofl.

I'm almost certain that Xbox division was and is still hemorrhaging cash from MS' coffers.

Don Carlo

Honestly, Xbox doesn't have good enough games yet that people would REALLY want them to be on PS as well. You cannot say the same the other way around.

Leonidas

1 console gamer is as valuable as 100 pc gamers and as valuable as 1000 mobile gamers.

the clusterfuck that happened to xbox should be a cautionary tale of how to destroy your brand.
If that was true Sony would have stopped porting games.

The fact is Sony's biggest games are on PC and are coming to PC, and now PC even gets PSVR2 :messenger_sun:

Last edited:

JCreasy

This only makes sense if your platform is underperforming and the competition is kicking your ass with great games your platform doesn't have.

What's that old saying? "Xbox users who want to play PlayStation games should buy themselves a PlayStation."

BlackTron

Nintendo game sales are incredible. Way better than Sony exclusvies.

Nintendo games would probably be in the top 3 if they were multiplatform. You can only sell so much when you're on one platform. They'll never reach Minecraft/GTAV in their current strategy, but Nintendo certainly has the best selling exclusive games.

Nintendo's total dollars made in the big picture is probably higher due to their strategy however. Despite the seeming absurdity that selling more games is not better.

For example. I'm sure Steam could achieve very high game sales as a developer. But they found such greater income potential as a platform they hardly even bother to anymore. Sure the income from exclusives is important, but equally important is how they make a platform necessary. N profits on hardware, on NSO, on all third party game sales even the .99 cent eshop ones, on accessories, that all comes from Mario, Zelda and Animal Crossing being exclusive.

Top Bottom