• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox v.Next and Only Online by Paul Thurrott: Deal With It :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Of course more and more people are coming out to get behind the always online rumor, but at least with this article, the "my take-aways" line makes it sound like he's just drawing conclusions form the twitter situation, like most of us are doing here, and not confirming inside info. The preceding line makes a big difference in how he is presenting these bullet points as his assumptions, not fact.

He was told in January that Durango will require an always-online internet connection.

If you want to see him explain it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qrzaZg7_g#t=54m44

The exact phrase "must be internet connected to use" is being said.

Lime

What if Don Mattrick comes out at E3 clapping after a little tease video and then does that scummy smile of his. Then he just pulls out a gun, shoots an audience member in the front row and states "$500 by tonight and I don't rape your wife and destroy the rest of your life, I'll even be nice and throw in this bricked console." Then he just drops the mic and walks away as Microsoft reps run out to grab the dead guys wallet

Idk man, Microsoft is feeling like a shitty company lately.

0070_nqcgj.gif

I know I already quoted your post, but now this gif will never be the same for me again

But there's never a point with my 360 or PSN when it's not already connected to the Internet. I fail to see the problem nor understand the drama. I suspect that goes for most people on XBL/PSN and not purely circumstantial.

I think the people here that are most upset are really upset with themselves because they know regardless of the outcome, they will end up buying the machine anyway. On some serious, "I hate myself for doing this" shit. Over some sort of perceived danger or threat of an online machine.

People who have a true issue with this will choose not to purchase it, right? Time will tell. In the meantime, anyone brave enough to enter these threads has to deal with a bunch of dudes sobbing in a mirror yelling, "I hate you! I hate you for making me do this!"

There was an 18 day period when your and everyone else's PS3 was not connected to the internet. (Apr 27, 2011 to May 15, 2011)

If you have an original Xbox, the last day it was online was April 15 2010. It will never go online again.

Suspecting that information is not circumstantial does not make it so.

Trigger

Yeesh, I'm really not liking what I'm hearing about the Next Box.

What if Don Mattrick comes out at E3 clapping after a little tease video and then does that scummy smile of his. Then he just pulls out a gun, shoots an audience member in the front row and states "$500 by tonight and I don't rape your wife and destroy the rest of your life, I'll even be nice and throw in this bricked console." Then he just drops the mic and walks away as Microsoft reps run out to grab the dead guys wallet

ihmbtM9PQeuUF.gif

ite00jVZvkPcK.gif

But there's never a point with my 360 or PSN when it's not already connected to the Internet. I fail to see the problem nor understand the drama. I suspect that goes for most people on XBL/PSN and not purely circumstantial.

I think the people here that are most upset are really upset with themselves because they know regardless of the outcome, they will end up buying the machine anyway. On some serious, "I hate myself for doing this" shit. Over some sort of perceived danger or threat of an online machine.

People who have a true issue with this will choose not to purchase it, right? Time will tell. In the meantime, anyone brave enough to enter these threads has to deal with a bunch of dudes sobbing in a mirror yelling, "I hate you! I hate you for making me do this!"

So you didn't own a PS3 during the PSN outage? You never owned a 360 during every christmas save the last when it would go down because of Halo and COD christmas gifts? You aren't aware of Ubisofts servers being DDOS'd and denying players the ability to play AC2 when it released, or SimCity's continued issues, or Diablo 3s launch fiasco?

People have actually been saying back and forth, if you don't like it, don't buy it! No need to be outraged. While the specifics of spreading information and making your voice heard is all well and good, I won't get into that. Myself? I actually do have to purchase all of the upcoming systems if I want to keep getting new footage for a wide variety of games. The idea that I'll be recording and have my footage be all fucked up because of a network error on MS end? Frustrating. The idea that I wouldn't be able to hit dates and deadlines for certain games because launch woes destroy any possibility of getting said footage? Infuriating.

Yeah, I just watched that, and he said many times he doesn't know what that means.

Yes, it's quite obvious he's speculating, but his speculation comes from MS documentation that explicitly states that an internet connection is required - he's not merely speculating from existing rumours on the internet, as you suggested.

vg260

Yes, it's quite obvious he's speculating, but his speculation comes from MS documentation that explicitly states that an internet connection is required - he's not merely speculating from existing rumours on the internet, as you suggested.

Right, we just don't know exactly what functions that pertains to.

The point is that none of the things that a next generation console should have: the updates, the patches, the multiplayer, the social connections, the online stores, none of it requires consumers to give up basic rights that they have had since the 2600. Required online does not make a console more functional, it makes it less functional.

I really don't understand the mindset that it is not ok to express your opinion about a product before it is available for purchase.

Who said it's not ok to express your opinion? I offered a response, nothing more. Consoles now are a lot different than they were with the 2600. If you think those were better days kudos to you. I like some of the features we see now on consoles and the ability to share experiences with friends, create new ones, and some of the media functionality.

Are you going to argue about how old rotary phones are better than a Galaxy IV? Go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

PSN was down for 24 days. There's no guarantee that can't happen again with their network or anybody elses.

There's simply no point in buying a game console where connectivity issues can keep you from being able to play your games.

I agree. I wouldn't want my game console to be at the mercy of a connection either but to make an argument about a console versus a DVD player is a stretch.

Xbox live was down for over 72 hours during a holiday season. I remember being pissed,and then I bought the game on PS3.

This always online (required) is BS. I would rage hard on any company that does it.

I believe everyone remembers my Anti-Steam rants when they disabled your games if you didn't agree to the ever changing terms of service.

Which goes to show how dependent people are when we see people rant and rave when Live goes down or when PSN got hacked.

So you didn't own a PS3 during the PSN outage? You never owned a 360 during every christmas save the last when it would go down because of Halo and COD christmas gifts? You aren't aware of Ubisofts servers being DDOS'd and denying players the ability to play AC2 when it released, or SimCity's continued issues, or Diablo 3s launch fiasco?

People have actually been saying back and forth, if you don't like it, don't buy it! No need to be outraged. While the specifics of spreading information and making your voice heard is all well and good, I won't get into that. Myself? I actually do have to purchase all of the upcoming systems if I want to keep getting new footage for a wide variety of games. The idea that I'll be recording and have my footage be all fucked up because of a network error on MS end? Frustrating. The idea that I wouldn't be able to hit dates and deadlines for certain games because launch woes destroy any possibility of getting said footage? Infuriating.

Now that Bungie is off Halo, I'm not sure I will buy another xbox, couldn't even bring myself to buy Gears 3, bought Halo 4 but it never felt like a Halo game from Bungie. Now that J Allard is gone I'm not sure their xbox division will be all that gamer focused, they think they already have all of their current userbase in the bag but most likely they're wrong about that.

Orth should have been taken out back and beaten with a hose and Thurrott should be next.

Absolutely nothing worse than people whining "bully" when they're told their being assholes.

Orth should have been taken out back and beaten with a hose and Thurrott should be next.

Absolutely nothing worse than people whining "bully" when they're told their being assholes.

Why would Thurrott be next? Does he even work for Microsoft?

Not sure why Orth thought it was ok to start blabbing before ther reveal though, development people really need to think before they start spouting off on the internet.

UrbanRats

InFamous on Xbox confirmed.

He's also never played an MMO.

MMO players know downtime. Add single player games to that....

Who said it's not ok to express your opinion? I offered a response, nothing more. Consoles now are a lot different than they were with the 2600. If you think those were better days kudos to you. I like some of the features we see now on consoles and the ability to share experiences with friends, create new ones, and some of the media functionality.

Are you going to argue about how old rotary phones are better than a Galaxy IV? Go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

When I talk about the 2600 I am talking about it from a consumer rights point of view. Things like, the ability to actually own the games you purchase and basic rights of privacy. These are things that do not have to go away for technology to advance.

The most feature rich and connected devices ever made, smartphones, still have an airplane mode. When Apple first released the iPhone they didn't allow apps. They said that web apps would suffice. People quickly rejected that idea. They wanted the phone have apps that still functioned when it was not connected. Apple quickly relented.

Your rotary phone analogy is as hamfisted as Orth's vacuum analogy.

Linkified

For me personally it comes down to games - I'm not bothered about system features so much as the actual content.

But boy do I see parallels to the Disney MagicBands and MyMagic+ where they require you to use it, so they can profile your traffic and spending patterns around the resort, to gain perks at the resort.

teiresias

For me personally it comes down to games - I'm not bothered about system features so much as the actual content.

So if it's all about the games, you're fine with none of your 720 games working after MS decides to cut off the 720 authentication servers after the release of the next console?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So if it's all about the games, you're fine with none of your 720 games working after MS decides to cut off the 720 authentication servers after the release of the next console?
This is probably what bothers me most. Would it even be possible to update, say, two or three years down the line where starting/playing games would no longer require an online connection?

Merino

Just thought of something interesting, what if Microsoft is taking the whole subscription model to the max.

What if they looked at things like PS+, Gamefly, Netflix, Spotify, etc and are building their xbox completely around that.

Is all of this still going to be a problem if Microsoft will offer us unlimited games for a fixed monthly subscription payment, polling user data to determine payouts to publishers?

This would explain the whole Online Only attitude as we'd basically be renting a service and not actually owning games.

This is probably what bothers me most. Would it even be possible to update, say, two or three years down the line where starting/playing games would no longer require an online connection?

Probably not.

Depends on contracts being signed. Potential lawsuits from developers wanting to make a buck that say that's the reason they supported it in the first place. ETC...

This is a slipper slope. If the clause says they can change their minds at any time, a lot of potential exclusives would get left in the dust.

This really is an all or nothing kind of deal.

Absolutely it's possible. Will it happen? Almost certainly not. Why would Microsoft ever want to do something pro consumer like that? Everything they're doing is about taking control away from the customer, not giving it to them.

Raven77

To all of you who "Done see a problem with always-online required"

I guess you've never played a game that required an internet connection on launch night / day.

Have fun finally getting to play Halo 5 two to three days AFTER it releases.

No, this is not an exaggeration. This happens 90% of the time when a big online game releases, and with the next xbox, ALL games will be "online" games.

jayu26

After Halo 4, no one.

Let's make a bet: I say Halo 5 will out sell two next gen premier PS4 exclusives combined.

Even in PS2 days Playstation exclusives could not match Halo's sells figure. Fans of the franchise (oh and there are still rabid fans) are going to be their day one regardless of how next Xbox turns out.

Let's see...
The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.
Holier-than-thou attitude to consumers,
Deal with it, indeed. The Internet—or at least a certain part of the Internet—reacted with outrage, despite the fact that most of the complaints were likely made over high-speed cable connections.
Straw-man arguments,
And yes, it really is going to be awesome.
and blatant corporate knob-licking. Just about everything I expect from folks working in the industry at this point.

Robso

LMFAO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing is that Paul said that the next Xbox would be revealed at CES and said that inside sources told him that it would happen.

So, while he's a great source for Windows news, I really don't know how reliable his video game contacts are.

hachiroku

Banned
I think that the "Always on" will be something related with games more than the next Xbox. If game developers want this, this will be in 720, PS4 and everyone.

Let's make a bet: I say Halo 5 will out sell two next gen premier PS4 exclusives combined.

Even in PS2 days Playstation exclusives could not match Halo's sells figure. Fans of the franchise (oh and there are still rabid fans) are going to be their day one regardless of how next Xbox turns out.
The statement wasn't as much about the next Xbox as it was about the Halo franchise. It changed hands and ended up being a shoddy product that couldn't really stand amongst its peers. The staying online population is dwindling every day.

Microsoft is really going to have to impress to survive this rising cultural wave coming against them.

Rat Salad

Banned
Yet another thread on the new Xbox? Man Microsft sure luvs free advertising. Seems they have many here wrapped around their finger. Their conference reveal is gonna crash this forum hard later this monthz, fuck!

BadAss2961

You're right for the most part, but GT is bigger than Halo.

jayu26

The statement wasn't as much about the next Xbox as it was about the Halo franchise. It changed hands and ended up being a shoddy product that couldn't really stand amongst its peers. The staying online population is dwindling every day.

For a Halo game I will give you that point but that might have to do with multiplier fatigue, people moving to new gears or folks preferring to play other types to games...It is not an indication of future sales of Halo 5. Sure the franchise is past its prime but it will still do solid numbers.

Microsoft is really going to have to impress to survive this rising cultural wave coming against them

I don't know man, most folks I know would still rather buy an Xbox because its Xbox and not even consider Playstation (which as a Playstation fan is disheartening).

Garjon

I think that the "Always on" will be something related with games more than the next Xbox. If game developers want this, this will be in 720, PS4 and everyone.

I don't think most developers really want this, more like a certain publishing behemoth does.

JCreasy

"If it's a legitimate connection drop over 3 minutes, Xbox 720 has a way to shut that whole thing down."

Microsoft's war on consumers begins!

Linkified

Firstly that would suppose that each game has DRM - which I don't think is the case ... the reason the only reason I can see them wanting to make it online required is because they want to profile consumer purchasing decisions as well as consumer tastes/preferences to sell to other publishers and marketeers.

Secondly I hope your asking the same about Apple/Sony/MS/Nintendo when they switch off content servers for their various online stores as well - which for me is a bigger concern.

BillyBats

Banned
I love how people try to defend BS like always online for SP games and use the few people who cyber bullied as an argument point.

"Always Online" is fine if my console will work for watching movies and playing SP games when my connection drops/is non existent..otherwise, fuck off MS. I payed for a game, and I sure as hell better be able to play how, when and where I like.

Maybe I'm too old but I just can't get worked up over always online. It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me....to me. My internet has been down exactly two times (while I've been using it) in 5 years for about an hour each time. My xbla has never been down (while I've used it) in 5 years. So for me to make up these examples where my internet MAY go down and I can't play a game when I want doesn't make sense...for me. So is that defending? I guess. It's more like, it's no big deal. I also like how there are all these people all of a sudden who live in rural places that don't get good internet but are able to post thousands of comments on the web just fine.

Everything just seems to be turned up to 11 these days. Not just on this site, but in society. Everyone is a victim, everyone is insulted. What happened to just waiting for the news, digesting it, thinking about it, and offering a sane opinion? We hear a little tidbit about something and its "fuck off, bs, you should be fired!!! Aaarrrgh!!"

Afrodium

Banned

This is fine on a game by game level. When people couldn't log into Sim City or Diablo, it didn't effect people playing Minecraft. With these Xbox rumors, it's looking like you won't be able to play anything when the servers are down. Have fun waiting in a queue to get on Microsoft's servers when Halo 5 just came out and all you want to do is watch Netflix.

When I talk about the 2600 I am talking about it from a consumer rights point of view. Things like, the ability to actually own the games you purchase and basic rights of privacy. These are things that do not have to go away for technology to advance.

The most feature rich and connected devices ever made, smartphones, still have an airplane mode. When Apple first released the iPhone they didn't allow apps. They said that web apps would suffice. People quickly rejected that idea. They wanted the phone have apps that still functioned when it was not connected. Apple quickly relented.

Your rotary phone analogy is as hamfisted as Orth's vacuum analogy.

What is this consumer rights you keep shoving in peoples faces? You either buy into their philosophy or you don't. Nobody is sticking a gun to your head to buy anything. As for privacy are you suggesting you need to have your home address and credit card too in order to play Halo? Create a dummy e-mail account if needed but it's doubtful your real name is going to be floating over your head while playing online matches.

I would wait and see the final details before believing it needs a constant connection just to play a game. That would be a huge risk and a big gamble for Microsoft to be going solo on that one. This is why people may be confusing always online required to needing a connection to register or simply some of the features work best with a connection.

Just thought of something interesting, what if Microsoft is taking the whole subscription model to the max.

What if they looked at things like PS+, Gamefly, Netflix, Spotify, etc and are building their xbox completely around that.

Is all of this still going to be a problem if Microsoft will offer us unlimited games for a fixed monthly subscription payment, polling user data to determine payouts to publishers?

This would explain the whole Online Only attitude as we'd basically be renting a service and not actually owning games.

Considering less than half of all Live members are even Gold I would think that's a huge risk.

Cipherr

Man this entire thing has been hilarious to watch. Im not nearly as invested in console gaming as I used to be. But I am damn near certain that had MS not went this way, NOONE would have complained.

I cannot even imagine there being any uproar if the Durango did NOT require an always online connection. But here we are, with the rumor coming true, and we have people trying to convince everyone that its nothing to fret over.

Noone asked for this, and it negatively effects some people, on top of just being a dumb decision. They deserve all the flack they get. On the plus side, with Nintendo striking out, maybe we will get another PS2 gen where one console (PS4) just gets EVERYTHING and there's no need to buy anything more than a single console. But somehow I suspect that life is far to much of a bitch to just allow that outcome.

Knowing my luck this new scheme will be wildly successful.

Jadedx

Banned
Man this entire thing has been hilarious to watch. Im not nearly as invested in console gaming as I used to be. But I am damn near certain that had MS not went this way, NOONE would have complained.

I cannot even imagine there being any uproar if the Durango did NOT require an always online connection. But here we are, with the rumor coming true, and we have people trying to convince everyone that its nothing to fret over.

Noone asked for this, and it negatively effects some people, on top of just being a dumb decision. They deserve all the flack they get. On the plus side, with Nintendo striking out, maybe we will get another PS2 gen where one console (PS4) just gets EVERYTHING and there's no need to buy anything more than a single console. But somehow I suspect that life is far to much of a bitch to just allow that outcome.

Knowing my luck this new scheme will be wildly successful.
I swear gaf, some of you are just plain.....

This is in no way confirmed.

another PS2 gen where one console (PS4) just gets EVERYTHING and there's no need to buy anything more than a single console

If you only played on the ps2 you missed out on a lot of incredible games.

The fact that you want to ignore alternatives doesn't magically make them disappear, you know?

"I can't afford a second system; I just hope everything else but my system of choice fails". That's the problem?

THRILLH0

Banned
we live in a world where people can now be accused of bullying a grown man

Are you kidding? The reaction online has been a complete fucking joke.

People say tactless shit all the time across all industries but because this guy works in ohmyfuckinggod vidja games he's getting crucified. People are calling for his job, sending him threats and openly hoping that this ruins his future.

A guy who made some comments on twitter about the fucking Xbox shouldn't be subjected to that.

Top Bottom