• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants To Provide A 'Steady Flow Of Great Games' Moving Forward

DaGwaphics

Not sure why it matters if a first-party studio made the game or another studio. The end-result is the same: a game that's only available on one console, so you have to have that console to play it.

It'll be like discarding Microsoft Flight Simulator because it's not made by an Xbox first-party studio. I don't agree with that.

FS is a MS owned IP, so that is first-party and they just contracted out the development. But, it doesn't make sense to compare the first-party output of the two companies and include timed exclusives and third-party content, LOL.

This thread is a discussion about first-party output after all, not a discussion about which console is paying for more timed exclusives.

Lognor

Banned
Not sure why it matters if a first-party studio made the game or another studio. The end-result is the same: a game that's only available on one console, so you have to have that console to play it.

It'll be like discarding Microsoft Flight Simulator because it's not made by an Xbox first-party studio. I don't agree with that.
?

You don't need a console to play Kena or Deathloop. Neither one first party games, neither one PS exclusive. Both on PC.
Oh and I never heard of Solar Ash, but that's on PC too!!

kingfey

Banned
I don’t know. There was Ratchet and Returnal and FF7RI. Q3-Q4 was definitely worse for PS5 than XSX but there was still Deathloop and Kena. I think the start of 2022 has been particularly bad on XSX so far.
MS had cross fire X, which become a turd. They have tunic coming today, and there was plan for stalker 2 this April.
Cross fire x become shit. Stalker 2 was delayed, and we have no clue how tunic is. Output wise good. Quality wise, shit, since 1 game was a flop, and the 2nd one was delayed. Only tunic is left.

They will have good Q3-Q4, since the output on that period is strong for them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Solar Ash? Really? People don't even know what that is.
Really? It's a pretty good game by one of the beloved indie studios with a great track record. It actually scored better than many "AAA games", such as Sea of Thieves, Destruction All Stars, Bleeding Edge, Marvel's Avengers, etc.
Kena is not a Sony game.
Idk man, I can only play it on a Sony console.
And a DLC? LOL,
Something funny? That DLC scored 84 (better than Hivebusters) and offers 15 hours of content (compared to 4.5 hours that Hivebuster offered). Only used Hivebuster as an example because that DLC was hyped AF here and it looks great tbh.
yeah most would agree that's extremely bare bones. Good thing Sony is off to a good start this year! The second half of 2021 for Soyn was baaaaaaad
On the contrary, it was pretty good. 4 exclusive 80 MC games in 6 months are pretty great.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
?

You don't need a console to play Kena or Deathloop. Neither one first party games, neither one PS exclusive. Both on PC.
Oh and I never heard of Solar Ash, but that's on PC too!!
Well I do need a console to play those games. How else am I going to play those games?

Or did you just assume that everyone has a gaming PC sitting in the corner of their homes? (double checking, because I don't believe you assumed that because that'd a very stupid thing to assume)

DaGwaphics

Well I do need a console to play those games. How else am I going to play those games?

Or did you just assume that everyone has a gaming PC sitting in the corner of their homes? (double checking, because I don't believe you assumed that because that'd a very stupid thing to assume)

Right, because assuming that they did would be just as stupid as assuming that they did not (have a gaming PC).

mejin

I dunno why derailing the thread to talk about Playstation when the info is about Xbox.

The biggest problem we see is a fundamental one: the actions doesn't reflect what Phil says....at all.

In a matter of few days after his message we had the news of The Iniative team in bad shape.

Lognor

Banned
Really? It's a pretty good game by one of the beloved indie studios with a great track record. It actually scored better than many "AAA games", such as Sea of Thieves, Destruction All Stars, Bleeding Edge, Marvel's Avengers, etc.

Idk man, I can only play it on a Sony console.

Something funny? That DLC scored 84 (better than Hivebusters) and offers 15 hours of content (compared to 4.5 hours that Hivebuster offered). Only used Hivebuster as an example because that DLC was hyped AF here and it looks great tbh.

On the contrary, it was pretty good. 4 exclusive 80 MC games in 6 months are pretty great.

You're comparing scores of two DLCs, one that has 5 reviews and one that has 7 reviews? LOL. I can't.

Even discounting the fact that 3 of those 4 games you mentioned is also available on PC, one of them is DLC and one is an indie title that most haven't heard of. The only AAA game - Deathloop - while well received by critics, really came and went. A dud really. So I can see why a lot of people would say the second half of 2021 for Sony was pretty bad. But again, they're off to a better start in 2022 and now Microsoft is experiencing similar issues that Sony did last year.

No, you don't need a console. You can play those games on PC. It's not that hard to understand. Maybe you don't have a gaming PC, but for folks that do they do not need to own a console. Get it?

kingfey

Banned
The biggest problem we see is a fundamental one: the actions doesn't reflect what Phil says....at all.
Types this, after the last e3. Sometimes, people dont see their hypocrisy.

In a matter of few days after his message we had the news of The Iniative team in bad shape.
New studio. Not existing studio. If it was existing studio, then yes the alarm bell would be crazy.
Still, that doesnt absolve MS any blame.

Hezekiah

Banned
Glad we agreed on that one.

Same for god of war Ragnarök.

Welcome to Todd Howard world. You will get used to it.

FH5, Age of empire, Psychoanuts 2, halo infinite.

It was fh5. They closed it with halo infinite. We are just 2 and half months away from December. That is a long time for your brain.

Sony had GOT upgrade in August 20, 2021. This January is when they got uncharted collection. So keep the same energy.
With God of War we've seen actual gameplay footage though...

Was Age of Empire on Xbox??

As I say, good they got Halo out though it was delayed. I guess Horizon was delayed too, by two or three months. But Halo was delayed for a full year.

December to June is six months. I can see this is a real struggle for you 😁

kingfey

Banned
With God of War we've seen actual gameplay footage though...
not date release. We also saw footages of fm8.

Was Age of Empire on Xbox??
Yes. Windows xbox store. Unless you want to be snarky about it.

As I say, good they got Halo out though it was delayed. I guess Horizon was delayed too, by two or three months. But Halo was delayed for a full year.
Does that matter to the context? The game was released last year. You cant change that.

December to June is six months. I can see this is a real struggle for you 😁
I see you are arguing with bad faith then.

Hezekiah

Banned
not date release. We also saw footages of fm8.

Yes. Windows xbox store. Unless you want to be snarky about it.

Does that matter to the context? The game was released last year. You cant change that.

I see you are arguing with bad faith then.

Looks like Forza is going to have movie-like graphics, can't wait.

Last year there were posts on here about the PS5 'drought'. That same energy needs to apply elsewhere instead of excuses about third-party, three month exclusives.

kingfey

Banned
Looks like Forza is going to have movie-like graphics, can't wait.

Last year there were posts on here about the PS5 'drought'. That same energy needs to apply elsewhere instead of excuses about third-party, three month exclusives.
Which is what I have been condemning here from my posts. Both side switch the arguments, when their side is having a great month. Its like they are looking for a win, which is annoying.

I remember, when people mocked MS in 2020. fast forward in q3-q4 2021, and people are saying the same thing to Sony, because they werent having a good year, compared to MS.

The constant flip flop is shit.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
in my opinion.
Subscription money gives you steady amount of security. Its all depend on who makes these content.

Disney and Netflix are opposite. Disney makes excellent content with their subscription model, while netflix is a hit or a miss.

NickFire

After this gen, they will have insane line up, and people will forget their lack of games.
It’s only been a year and 4 months, so why are we talking after this gen already?

By chance did you cut and paste from a 2019 post? I feel like we’ve been hearing about after this gen since at least back then.

kingfey

Banned
It’s only been a year and 4 months, so why are we talking after this gen already?

By chance did you cut and paste from a 2019 post? I feel like we’ve been hearing about after this gen since at least back then.
The studio and the games they have, they should be able to build strong line up, when the next starts rolling.
Right now, they are in rebuild mode. They will have alot of games starting 2023 for this gen.

REDRZA MWS

This forum is so depressing with fanboy and console war shit. It’s like the average age are 12 year olds. I love my PlayStation as much as anyone else, but I also love my Xbox and my pc. I’m a gamer, the personality traits or just weird thought process of constantly hating a platform they do t even own or care about is so immature.

I’m probably done here because all this place is is negativity, unless of course it’s PlayStation related.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This forum is so depressing with fanboy and console war shit. It’s like the average age are 12 year olds. I love my PlayStation as much as anyone else, but I also love my Xbox and my pc. I’m a gamer, the personality traits or just weird thought process of constantly hating a platform they do t even own or care about is so immature.

I’m probably done here because all this place is is negativity, unless of course it’s PlayStation related.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

pratyush

Subscription money gives you steady amount of security. Its all depend on who makes these content.

Disney and Netflix are opposite. Disney makes excellent content with their subscription model, while netflix is a hit or a miss.
I disagree. You need to keep the price attractive and put more games to increase its value just like movie streaming platforms. Both these will have detrimental impact on quality of games. This has never been done before so i am bit skeptical. But it seems like any other opinion against Gamepass is met with lot of hostile responses (not yours but in general)

kingfey

Banned
I disagree. You need to keep the price attractive and put more games to increase its value just like movie streaming platforms. Both these will have detrimental impact on quality of games. This has never been done before so i am bit skeptical. But it seems like any other opinion against Gamepass is met with lot of hostile responses (not yours but in general)
Quality wouldn't have any impact at all. This is just nonsense, people use to discredit subscription services.

Its all about who does these contents. Look at Amazon Prime contents. Same with apple TV shows.

If your intent is to make money of the subscription services, while under cutting the funding, then yes. The quality would be bad.

At the end of the day, it's all about the company who owns these services, and who they hire.

Last edited:

Genx3

I don't know maybe you missed the whole wishful thinking last year where a big release every month was being talked about or my comment in this thread that the 1 AAA a month has now turned to 1 AAA per quarter yet that is still not happening even now and I doubt will ever happen seeing as people are not unsubscribing without it.

Heres part of last years discussion I was referring to with 1 big AAA per month and low and behold it's from your boy Bernd Lauert and you were in that thread too.

Men in boxes has it right though this won't happen and there will actually be a market contraction.

That's why MS is buying "their game" and less concerned about ramping up output to 1AAA game per month/quarter.
Just because it's not happening yet doesn't mean it can't happen.
It's going to take a good 5 years or more before all these studios are pumping out titles efficiently under XGS.
36 AAA studios some with multiple teams means that XGS should at a minimum be able to pump out a AAA game every other month.
I remember when people thought I was crazy for even suggesting they own 36 AAA studios and yet here we are. Once that AB deal gets finalized they may have more than 36 studios.

Three

Gold Member
It's going to take a good 5 years or more before all these studios are pumping out titles efficiently under XGS.
36 AAA studios some with multiple teams means that XGS should at a minimum be able to pump out a AAA game every other month.
I remember when people thought I was crazy for even suggesting they own 36 AAA studios and yet here we are. Once that AB deal gets finalized they may have more than 36 studios.
You bumped this month old post for what? One month later and guess what, still nothing.

Bump Hump GIF by Love Island Australia

Nice bump.

Three

Gold Member
That denial is setting in I see.
Hopefully you'll learn to just accept the day is coming when major titles will be released on a monthly basis on GP.
You're one of those people that were saying the games are coming give 2018 studios time and they're being saved for Xbox Series X launch. Series X launch was the most baron launch ever. Now you're bumping a 1 and a half month old post saying games will come every other month. You've been in denial for 4+ years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You bumped this month old post for what? One month later and guess what, still nothing.

E3 is a month away. Why are you realistically expecting show level game announcements a month before that in the first place ?

Kimahri

Banned
You're one of those people that were saying the games are coming give 2018 studios time and they're being saved for Xbox Series X launch. Series X launch was the most baron launch ever. Now you're bumping a 1 and a half month old post saying games will come every other month. You've been in denial for 4+ years.
Wait, hold on. Are you suggesting MS won't push out games like a hungry man with IBS?

Three

Gold Member
E3 is a month away. Why are you realistically expecting show level game announcements a month before that in the first place ?
Who said anything about expecting show level announcements? Nobody said anything about expecting announcements. People are talking about "releases every other month". 4-5 months from the year passed without a AAA MS release when I made that post, add 1.5 months more now that he's bumped it. Still nothing 5.5 months later.

MS have things announced years in advance, anything announced at E3 outside of FM which everyone already knows about would be years out. E3 has no bearing on what I said. Not sure why he even decided to bump this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Not at all. Just not "a AAA release every other month".

I think they said the goal as one every quarter, but yes I think that'll be doable in the next year or so max. Covid related delays and other management issues like with Perfect Dark have delayed things a little bit, but not canceled them.

MonarchJT

Banned
you know that your position is absolutely stupid to defend right ? what you think Ms is paying those studio for? a game take 3 or 4 years to be completed (some little bit more) it's basically inevitable that with all those studios Ms will push more and more games

Three

Gold Member
you know that your position is absolutely stupid to defend right ? what you think Ms is paying those studio for? a game take 3 or 4 years to be completed (some little bit more) it's basically inevitable that with all those studios Ms will push more and more games
No it's not. MS is IP hunting for migrating audiences not to pump out more AAAs than the industry already does. The entire industry as a whole doesn't even do 1 AAA game every other month and the AAA game release market is contracting. Slowly being replaced with f2p/GaaS games that people play for years. Nobody said more games won't release with a XGS banner because of the acquisitions. Realistically though it would be hard to pump out a AAA game every other month and maintain that for years. Again not sure why this was bumped for the xbox regulars to argue the same things over and over.

adamsapple

Amazon doesn't have 30+ gaming studios or 20 years of experience in the gaming industry tho...

They also didn't win publisher of the year or put out some of the best reviewed/award winning games of the previous calendar year also 🤷‍♂️

So we're both talking about something else it seems.

Ozriel

M$FT
Unless dev times end up doubling again, I'll be impressed if they don't.

With the aforementioned 36 studios, several of which have multiple teams and projects, 12 AAA games per year is not far fetched at all.

Nah. One AAA game per month isn’t feasible.

I believe Microsoft’s stated aim is to have at least one per quarter, and some AA level stuff in between. You’d probably get more than that down the line, but 12 is infeasible and probably not worth it.

So?. A lot of those games were made without MS involvement at all.

You are taking about something unrelated entirely. I am talking about what this thread is about.

What this thread is about is releases from MS first party studios. The ‘level of involvement’ argument makes no sense in this context.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
What this thread is about is releases from MS first-party studios. The ‘level of involvement’ argument makes no sense in this context.
Not just makes sense but is the cornerstone of the Xbox situation regarding the release of MS Firs party Studios 'great' games.

Top Bottom