• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within |OT| Your Soldiers Never Asked For This

Just beat my most recent game of EU and the 4 gig download started. Nice timing. I hope this drops right at midnight like Steam is predicting.

Yeah Firaxis xpacs don't unlock at midnight :/ . They've had this process since the Civ IV BTS days (the first day one xpac of theirs on Steam, if I recall right).

edit: wait wat , finishing the download now. They must have moved it up.

Copy and pasting didn't trigger (ie become green) the add coupon button for me. Had to erase one character and reenter it for the button to become active.

Triggered for me just fine, just said invalid.

EDIT: Just activated.

Now I'm getting XC:EW for like $4.

Teknoman

So how would this work if you havent beaten EU? Would you be able to access the mech tech before hitting the new missions?

Cystm

I really dig your OT's, Jin. So damn good.

I am sad that I won't be able to pick this one up right away, but I intend to as soon as viable. Looks great, and I loved EU.

I feel inclined to play through EU again, now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So how would this work if you havent beaten EO? Would you be able to access the mech tech before hitting the new missions?

IIRC, you would have to start a new game for Enemy within features to take effect, though I'm not positive about the stuff like soldier voice differentiation or the new map features.

Anything specifically mentioned like gene therapy or mechs requires what's essentially a 'new game' by choosing the Enemy within mode when the game starts.

Also, this needs to unlock, already!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Also, anyone know if Firaxis changed/fixed the Iron Will perk not applying to old soldiers?

My first couple games always ended up with me getting mind controlled to hell come endgame-ish, until I read that the bonus wasn't in fact retroactive, and hence you were supposed to train up a whole new squad with the perk in order to get the will score over 100, and better combat ethereals.

My first couple games always ended up with me getting mind controlled to hell come endgame-ish, until I read that the bonus wasn't in fact retroactive, and hence you were supposed to train up a whole new squad with the perk in order to get the will score over 100, and better combat ethereals.

Veteran troops came with enough will from levels that officer ranks they would generally be better than NCOs in the will category even with Iron Will. Iron Will is there so that newbies don't get annihilated by ethereals and commanders.

Anyway, if you have to deal with mind controllers, the best way is to kill or be killed. Most are in places on ships where bang and breach operations are extremely effective, and you should have more than sufficient firepower to deal with them quickly.

Jintor

Well, my amazon card just got charged, so my key for my account proper should be coming soon eventually

Veteran troops came with enough will from levels that officer ranks they would generally be better than NCOs in the will category even with Iron Will. Iron Will is there so that newbies don't get annihilated by ethereals and commanders.

Anyway, if you have to deal with mind controllers, the best way is to kill or be killed. Most are in places on ships where bang and breach operations are extremely effective, and you should have more than sufficient firepower to deal with them quickly.

love the terminology, old chap.

Erudite

Something screwy happening on my end then. The game was working just fine before 9:00 rolled around, making sure everything was in working order before the transition to Enemy Within.

I restarted Steam, and now I'm downloading those 7.2 GB a 2nd time.

Something screwy happening on my end then. The game was working just fine before 9:00 rolled around, making sure everything was in working order before the transition to Enemy Within.

It happened to a bunch of people.

Jintor

Works for me, but I already had the relevant files on my drive (fun fact: saves are compatible across Steam accounts).

Opening text will be in yellow and you'll have a new opening screen, but the most obvious thing should be the game popping a little text bubble on steam startup asking you to chose between EW and EU.

nbthedude

I own Slingshot, and I'm pulling the 7GB patch down right now. Got the 4GB one a few hours ago.

Wait a 7GB patch?

Urgh. My system downloaded a patch earlier but no way it was 7GB. I have a slow connection and it only took a half an hour. Then a few minutes ago it downloaded a really tiny patch that only took a few minutes.

Damnit. I wanted to play some before bed. :(

EW is working now after this last update, well it actually required one more after I hit launch. At least Steam was giving me ~8 MBPS.

Skunkers

Wait a 7GB patch?

Urgh. My system downloaded a patch earlier but no way it was 7GB. I have a slow connection and it only took a half an hour. Then a few minutes ago it downloaded a really tiny patch that only took a few minutes.

Yeah, 7.2GB. Should be done downloading for me in a few minutes. Will update if I can play.

Wait a 7GB patch?

I'm not even prompted with the 7 GB download. I don't know what gives.

Skunkers

Update: Finished downloading the 7GB patch and IT'S WORKING. I got the prompt to choose EU or EW when launching it. Diving in now. =)

TentPole

Has anyone who bought the game off of GMG been able to get it working. It sounds like there might be a problem for anyone who didn't purchase the expansion directly from steam.

Plumpman

I'm not getting any new downloads after restarting steam several times, I got a feeling it must be propagating through the steam servers as we speak.

alazz

Exactly my thinking. There's a Steam community hub discussion with about two dozen people with the same issue who all bought from GMG.

Additionally, I checked my online bank account and the available balance has gone down by $20.25, but the balance is still the same as it was before and no transaction has been made by GMG. Hmm, this is fishy.

Top Bottom