• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within |OT| Your Soldiers Never Asked For This

Morokh

Even though the price is a little high, I'll bite.
I got the original game for almost nothing and played it way more than I would ever have expected xD

Can't wait to unlock everything to make an Ironman Impossible with completely random soldier play-through :D

Sentenza

Still not really convinced that the new content is enough to make the campaign interesting again
I'm having the same exact problem with this.
I really hope that's the case, because what I liked of this game I liked a lot... But there was a certain amount of things that I just didn't like.

jayb

disappointing that this isn't being offered as a DLC expansion to the game I already have. oh well, guess I'll wait for a price drop.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm going to wait and see how it turns out and for it to go on sale. Between getting a PS4 and a 3DS my funds are a bit tight and I need to make sure this is top notch and can make the main game fun again.

nacimento

Let's hope this ends having enough differences, the problem with XCOM is that one playthrough doesn't feel as different from the other than Civ.

Grimsen

This expansion seemingly gives more branching options for soldiers, balances existing abilities, and adds more elaborate equipment loadouts.

This should in theory add a lot more replay value.

If that ends up being true, then the price of the expansion is justified imo.

Wookieomg

I am pretty hyped for this, and I was pretty much meh about it before. Nice OT! I remember base defense on the original XCOM being so much fun. I missed it from the new XCOM and this xpac looks to fill the void :D Really thinking about biting for 20 bucks on GMG...

Edit: Yep I did it. :) Enemy Within on the 12th! Woot woot!

Jintor

Let's hope this ends having enough differences, the problem with XCOM is that one playthrough doesn't feel as different from the other than Civ.

Fucking aliens never go for the diplomatic victory. It's always domination or bust with these bastards

Still not really convinced that the new content is enough to make the campaign interesting again
Right there with you. I love me some XCOM, put 90 hours in, but

- they're still unwilling to allow mods
- I didn't ask for mechs and I don't touch the mechanical units as it is
- I sure as hell didn't ask for some fucking civilian splinter group, I don't play XCOM to shoot people
- Still the same game, give or take these missions and the LOLshot pack.

No thank you. We'll see if this actually encourages people to play a second or third time after the new abilities haze has worn off. If not, I'll just wait til they release final versions and mod* to my hearts content.

*what's allowed to be modded anyways.

KingPhizzle

Neo Member
I don't understand, am I the only one excited for this. I may not of asked for mechs, but it is still a cool concept, that makes the game more exciting and deep. And weren't there human enemies in apocalypse? I just don't get the hate. Firaxis knows how to do expansions and I will gladly give them my money.

Not all the recent posts are supportive/excited, but there's plenty of others looking forward to it!

I'm pretty excited. I have fun with a pretty fast/reckless placestyle, though..., so I can safely say my soldiers are not looking forward to EW's release.

bryehn

Thought this was standalone. I sold my 360 copy of EU (the one I finished) and downloaded it on PS3 through PS+, how can I make this work? Does the EW disc come with EU on it at least? Does it use your EU save at all? Needless to say I'm a bit confused.

Jintor

You buy a disc version, it'll come with EU.

It won't use your EU saves, they're not compatible on consoles or PCs I'm pretty sure. (Same way you can't boot up a Vanilla Civ V game into BNW or Gods and Kings)

Is anyone planning on trying the multiplayer this time around? They added some quality of life improvements and better balance overall from what I've read.

Jintor

/////CLASSIFIED/////
APPROVED RECIPIENTS ONLY
/////CLASSIFIED/////

//INCOMING TRANSMISSION...

//decrypting... please stand by

//...
//52% complete...

c3N26GJ.png

--Transmission Ends--

Gothos

Right there with you. I love me some XCOM, put 90 hours in, but

- they're still unwilling to allow mods
- I didn't ask for mechs and I don't touch the mechanical units as it is
- I sure as hell didn't ask for some fucking civilian splinter group, I don't play XCOM to shoot people
- Still the same game, give or take these missions and the LOLshot pack.

No thank you. We'll see if this actually encourages people to play a second or third time after the new abilities haze has worn off. If not, I'll just wait til they release final versions and mod* to my hearts content.

*what's allowed to be modded anyways.

They will allow mods when they'll have no more ways to milk the game. Same thing is happening in CivV. ZERO mod support 'cause DLC still sells pretty well. And that's why Firaxis will never see my money again until it's changed.

jediyoshi

They will allow mods when they'll have no more ways to milk the game. Same thing is happening in CivV. ZERO mod support 'cause DLC still sells pretty well. And that's why Firaxis will never see my money again until it's changed.

Civ V doesn't have mods?

I would kill ten rookies to have the Workshop functionality that Civ does, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

Grimsen

So, I'm recruiting operatives for my EW game, who wants to live forever? (not sure I'll go as far as a LP, but i'll let you know how you die :) )

We'll have a few openings in the Cyber-warfare division. Applicants must be tech savvy, and be willing to part with all four of their limbs for the duration of their tour.

Said limbs will be kept on ice, until the operative is discharged (and if we know how to reattach the limbs by then)

Side effects may include ghost limb syndrome, impotence and/or a metal taste in the mouth. Non-combat prosthetics will be provided for recreational purposes.

Oh, and NO FRATERNISING with non-enhanced personnel. The med bay will be plenty busy with the invasion.

Jintor

So, I'm recruiting operatives for my EW game, who wants to live forever? (not sure I'll go as far as a LP, but i'll let you know how you die :) )

We'll have a few openings in the Cyber-warfare division. Applicants must be tech savvy, and be willing to part with all four of their limbs for the duration of their tour.

Said limbs will be kept on ice, until the operative is discharged (and if we know how to reattach the limbs by then)

Side effects may include ghost limb syndrome, impotence and/or a metal taste in the mouth. Non-combat prosthetics will be provided for recreational purposes.

Oh, and NO FRATERNISING with non-enhanced personnel. The med bay will be plenty busy with the invasion.

There is actually a way to replace the default generated names list with a custom list. I'll go figure it out and return.

jrDev

Can someone explain to me how I'm right next to the enemy and have a 92% chance of hitting, shouldn't it be 100%? Also how did I miss a shot at 92% chance wtf?

Will this game run on the original surface with its integrated graphics you think? I wonder if that would be worse than how the original performed on my ps3.

Skunkers

Hmmm I see. Does that mean I'll be able to still experience both stories?

Yep, what Jintor said. Since you have to start a new game in EW, if you start playing EU now you'll just be playing the same game but missing a bunch of the stuff EW will add. You can certainly do it (and think of it as a demo of what EW will be), just know you'll have to start from scratch again when EW comes out; so it's probably just best to wait.

Edit: D'oh.

Already pre-ordered on GMG. Got it for $13 after a voucher and some credit. Can't get here quick enough.

Does anyone know that if I have a game already in progress, will the new content just be added in, or will I need to start a new game?

Oppo

Man I wish this was out today. Would have been great if it dropped last week.

Oh well. It will prop up my console launch drought.

Top Bottom