• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Within |OT| Your Soldiers Never Asked For This

nbthedude

Has anyone who bought the game off of GMG been able to get it working. It sounds like there might be a problem for anyone who didn't purchase the expansion directly from steam.

There are people who bought it from Steam that are having the same problem in the game's Steam forum thread.

Purchased off GMG. Got the 4gb file, then another 50mb file. Restarted Steam several times and still nothing but the vanilla version for me.

nbthedude

Game? Please come home game. Wherever you went. I have 18GB of SSD space I cleared off just for you. It's nice and cozy here.

Bought from GMG, having the same problem :(

It appears that the 4gb download is just to patch in a lot of the general improvements, like offline squad creation in MP (which is now showing in my vanilla EU)

nbthedude

Bought from GMG, having the same problem :(

It appears that the 4gb download is just to patch in a lot of the general improvements, like offline squad creation in MP (which is now showing in my vanilla EU)

Oh, good on those guys then.

Yeah my buddy who bought it straight thorough Steam is taunting me because his downloaded (but he is going to bed rather than playing) whereas I want to play but can't.

Oh well, it was still worth saving $7. Maybe... As long as they get it sorted by tomorrow.

Romir

Do I need to restart the original game to play this new expansion?

Probably? (Not my screenshot, a friends.) It prompts when starting.

BprNxtH.jpg

nbthedude

Do I need to restart the original game to play this new expansion?

According to Rock Paper Shotgun you have to start a fresh game but the new stuff comes into play pretty immediately.

I'm using this opportunity to go "Ironman+ Classic." I played Normal when I originally played through it.

How exactly does Training Roulette work? Does it just randomly pick from the normal class talent tree?

It seems like Second Wave unlocks don't carry over either. Only the new Second Wave options are available.

According to Rock Paper Shotgun you have to start a fresh game but the new stuff comes into play pretty immediately.

I'm using this opportunity to go "Ironman+ Classic." I played Normal when I originally played through it.
Can you import your old characters to continue their story/progression?

Goes without saying but character attachment is XCOM.

I don't want to part ways with Road Block, Brick, Spike, Gonzo, Chilong, and Mad Dog

Jintor

How exactly does Training Roulette work? Does it just randomly pick from the normal class talent tree?

It seems like Second Wave unlocks don't carry over either. Only the new Second Wave options are available.

Weird. There's an FAQ on their forums that says second wave unlocks should carry over.

Skunkers

Since it's working for me, I'm about an hour in and I can confirm that. Started a game with normal tutorial off and Meld tutorial on, so Meld and a new map showed up in the first mission. Researched it and unlocked the Mech and Gene Labs. Construction on my Gene Lab is almost complete. A few new armor customizations were available right off the bat as well as the new voices/languages. The game has been showing off new maps since the get go and I'm three missions in. First UFO crash was a dense urban map as well. Decided to go Gene Lab first because it sounds like it may be more beneficial, plus I didn't want to try and build both it and the Mech Lab at the same time as I fear it will impede my Satallite production. Game is glorious so far.

For those having trouble, I can confirm that I'm from the US and preordered on Steam and it's working for me. Sorry to hear people are having issues.

Skunkers

Yup. I assume it's all content I can't access. :(

As stated above I think the base game is being patched to add some stuff to Multiplayer as well as bug fixes like the the flanking glitch possibly.

As another impression, while flanking may be fixed in EW, I still noticed there is still the line of sight fuckery from EU in the game; one of my snipers took an overwatch shot through a wall, and I activated an alien pack through a wall with no windows already. Doesn't detract from how awesome the game is so far though.

Jintor

Some of that might be inherent board-game ruleset + animations not being able to account for every situation.

The pressing a button through a solid wall thing, less so

Almighty

Well looks like I am having the same problem a lot of others are having (the expansion is not showing up). Oh well back to Deus Ex HR for me. Personally not a big deal as I didn't really plan to get into the expansion until I was done messing around with the Ps4 anyway.

As stated above I think the base game is being patched to add some stuff to Multiplayer as well as bug fixes like the the flanking glitch possibly.

As another impression, while flanking may be fixed in EW, I still noticed there is still the line of sight fuckery from EU in the game; one of my snipers took an overwatch shot through a wall, and I activated an alien pack through a wall with no windows already. Doesn't detract from how awesome the game is so far though.

Patches don't take 4 gigabytes. Audio and textures do. :(

alazz

Patches don't take 4 gigabytes. Audio and textures do. :(

A whopping 4.02 GB of movies was modified in my XCOM movies folder today. The interesting thing is that none of them seem to be anything new. The names reference existing things like Muton Autopsy, Arc Thrower, etc. It could just be that Firaxis redid them, as their sizes varies (both larger and smaller) from what's listed as the previous versions' sizes.

I wonder why they chose to include those in the patch. Maybe they redid parts of the story and wanted to correct the base game for consistency? I don't recall any dialog in the autopsies, for example, though.

Got a GMG key and it still doesn't work.

A question for those of you that can play the game on the PC. The Slingshot DLC pack is NOT included with Enemy Within, right?

Skunkers

Well, I finished my Gene Lab and have a couple gene modded soldiers now. Also unlocked Medals, which I had forgotten about until now; they are given to you occasionally after missions and you can decide which effect they will have and award them to your soldiers granting passive bonuses. You also get to rename the medals for customization. =) I'm barely into month two and my Assault is a Liutenant with all points put in the defensive tree, a gene mod that let's her regen health, and a medal that grants her additional defense behind cover. This is awesome.

FaceDa

Banned
This looks awesome but I'm a bit apprehensive of the fact that the DLC just sort of augments the main game. I wanted a brand new campaign I guess :/

Gaben is punishing me for getting it for $4 on another service.

This looks awesome but I'm a bit apprehensive of the fact that the DLC just sort of augments the main game. I wanted a brand new campaign I guess :/

It kind of is. It's a mix. Think of it as a DLC sidequest.

Skunkers

I'm only in month two but it's been a completely different experience this far, all new maps thus far, new enemies mixed in already, a new council mission, to say nothing of how dramatically different and improved the customization is so far. I haven't built the arc thrower yet so I'm obviously not saying the main plot has changed, but there is really a LOT here, and the experience has been really new and improved thus far.

N7_average_azn

Neo Member
Is this just for the normal tutorial or is it the meld tutorial?

This happens after the normal events of the tutorial and meld. When you start research on the Arc Thrower, the game will force you to go to Mission Control.

However, when you try to go there, the game will NOT let you leave the screen shown in my video.

So far, the only way to fix this is to unfortunately start a new game with the tutorials disabled. At least there isn't too much that is different even with the tutorials on. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up here. :D

Skunkers

This happens after the normal events of the tutorial and meld. When you start research on the Arc Thrower, the game will force you to go to Mission Control.

However, when you try to go there, the game will NOT let you leave the screen shown in my video.

So far, the only way to fix this is to unfortunately start a new game with the tutorials disabled. At least there isn't too much that is different even with the tutorials on. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up here. :D

Damn, I've been playing several hours and haven't researched the arc thrower yet. I will test this in a moment, as I started a game with the meld tutorial on.

Edit: OK, canceled what I was doing and fast tracked research of the arc thrower. Research of the arc thrower completed successfully, and I did not run into this bug. It must only happen with the regular new game tutorial, not the meld tutorial.

Top Bottom