• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 previews

TDLink

Do we know how many titans in total there are in XB2? Like, a ballpark number? Is it going to be like 5-6, or more like 10-12?

They have not given any clear indication of that yet. I believe we've seen like 4 though. They also have said some will be larger than others.

I don't think it's very clear yet if 1 Titan = 1 area or if Titans have multiple areas on them either.

How does everyone feel about the gamepkay changes compared XCX? I will miss the more WRPG styled game, but Zelda kinda filled that gap for me this year.

I haven't played the original Xenoblade so I'm not sure what to compare Xeno2 too.

I like a lot of the changes. There are more choice based elements than every previous games for combat that isn't necessarily reliant on the enemy but decently encouraged to take enemy abilities into account. And the better conveyance of how everything is timed lends more ability for the player to make proper decision making in the moment. At the same time, the main logic of strategy of the game seems to encourage building some variety into attack patterns. Xenoblade 1's treatment of Health is better than many RPGs with consumable health items and XCX, unfortunately, was a step back from that in my opinion but XC2 seems to be a return to form. It's probably not the worlds best combat system, but much of what they showed was good and varied.

For the overworld, XC2 seems to take XCX's enemy density and apply it to Seamless, large Zones like XC1. Unique Monster Placement seems pretty deliberate to catch the eye of the player. And it generally seems to work pretty well. In addition, there seems to be a bit more overworld interaction ala Baten Kaitos where you solve minor puzzles, Towns seem to have more to do than just talk to NPCs and keep track of their movements and nameless NPCs seem to be gone meaning generic quests are probably gone as well going by XC1 and XCX's treatment of such sidequests.

Plus having everything mapped properly to buttons is good even if we don't know what everything does right now.

Do we know how many titans in total there are in XB2? Like, a ballpark number? Is it going to be like 5-6, or more like 10-12?

We don't but I imagine it'll be in a similar ballpark to the number of Areas in XC1 which was around 20 I think? Unless some Titans are so huge in XC2 that they might as well be two or three areas combined.

Kureransu

How does everyone feel about the gamepkay changes compared XCX? I will miss the more WRPG styled game, but Zelda kinda filled that gap for me this year.

I haven't played the original Xenoblade so I'm not sure what to compare Xeno2 too.

I really like what's going on. I feel like it's pretty streamlined, but pretty deep as well. I always fancied the positioning aspect of it, although it looks like they took away terrain height as a factor in this one. I love that you can disable moves on the enemy, which can adds a nice element to the system, but also balances it by making they resistant to that spell type. To top it off they added another layer to actually rid the resistance, which, based on his failed attempt in the demo, isn't so cut and dry to do,

I thought it was interesting that they added two more effects on top of toppling. I think this system is going to have a lot of depth to it in terms of big set ups, but that the down side of of the battle system for many, is that you are "forced" to play a certain way to do big damage in the game. I think they are trying to remedy that with the spell stacking as well, but it's just another option of the same *forced* game play style.

Personally I enjoy it and i think it makes for a robust battle system. It rewards you for thinking during the fight, and not just spamming spells until they are dead. It's not grandia, but it's really close IMO.

duckroll

We don't but I imagine it'll be in a similar ballpark to the number of Areas in XC1 which was around 20 I think? Unless some Titans are so huge in XC2 that they might as well be two or three areas combined.

Isn't it more like 12? Xenoblade didn't really have a ton of areas. They were pretty big though.

jonjonaug

Isn't it more like 12? Xenoblade didn't really have a ton of areas. They were pretty big though.
Depends entirely on what you consider an "area". If you count the overworld maps, towns where the music changes, and the large dungeon-like areas (Tephra Cave) seperately there's around 20. If you ignore dungeons and condense the rest of the areas as narrowly as I think you can, there's 11.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I really like what's going on. I feel like it's pretty streamlined, but pretty deep as well. I always fancied the positioning aspect of it, although it looks like they took away terrain height as a factor in this one. I love that you can disable moves on the enemy, which can adds a nice element to the system, but also balances it by making they resistant to that spell type. To top it off they added another layer to actually rid the resistance, which, based on his failed attempt in the demo, isn't so cut and dry to do,

I thought it was interesting that they added two more effects on top of toppling. I think this system is going to have a lot of depth to it in terms of big set ups, but that the down side of of the battle system for many, is that you are "forced" to play a certain way to do big damage in the game. I think they are trying to remedy that with the spell stacking as well, but it's just another option of the same *forced* game play style.

Personally I enjoy it and i think it makes for a robust battle system. It rewards you for thinking during the fight, and not just spamming spells until they are dead. It's not grandia, but it's really close IMO.

I'm gonna have a blast with those elemental art chains. Those and breaking the resulting orbs looks like a ton of fun.

TDLink

These are all the areas in XC1:

1. Colony 9
  2. Tephra Cave**
  3. Bionis' Leg
  4. Colony 6*
  5. Ether Mine**
  6. Satorl Marsh
  7. Makna Forest
  8. Frontier Village*
  9. Eryth Sea
  10. Alcamoth*
  11. High Entia Tomb**
  12. Prison Island 1**
  13. Valak Mountain
  14. Sword Valley
  15. Galahad Fortress**
  16. Fallen Arm
  17. Machina Village*
  18. Mechonis Field
  19. Central Factory
  20. Agniratha
  21. Mechonis Core***
  22. Bionis' Interior**
  23. Prison Island 2**

*Town/City
**Dungeon
***Only really a single boss fight

So by my count there were really 11 open zones, but then there were also 7 more confined "dungeons".

duckroll

Depends entirely on what you consider an "area". If you count the overworld maps, towns where the music changes, and the large dungeon-like areas (Tephra Cave) seperately there's around 20.

Yes but that's a silly way to "count" what could be a Titan when it's obvious from what they have shown that Titans are meant to be big land masses with fields, towns, dungeons, secret areas, etc. And since Takahashi specifically said that the point is that they are themed so each Titan feels like a very different set of areas, it's safe to say they are akin to the large thematic zones in the previous games.

TDLink

Yes but that's a silly way to "count" what could be a Titan when it's obvious from what they have shown that Titans are meant to be big land masses with fields, towns, dungeons, secret areas, etc. And since Takahashi specifically said that the point is that they are themed so each Titan feels like a very different set of areas, it's safe to say they are akin to the large thematic zones in the previous games.

Sure, but we don't know yet if 1 Titan = 1 area. In the latest gamescom video they said that area was actually -inside- of one of the Titans. Will there be a completely different area -outside- of it? It's not been made very clear yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yo that Monado game is the DOPEST thing I have ever seen on the Nintendo DS. I wonder if it is DSi exclusive?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

1. Colony 9
  2. Tephra Cave**
  3. Bionis' Leg
  4. Colony 6*
  5. Ether Mine**
  6. Satorl Marsh
  7. Makna Forest
  8. Frontier Village*
  9. Eryth Sea
  10. Alcamoth*
  11. High Entia Tomb**
  12. Prison Island 1**
  13. Valak Mountain
  14. Sword Valley
  15. Galahad Fortress**
  16. Fallen Arm
  17. Machina Village*
  18. Mechonis Field
  19. Central Factory
  20. Agniratha
  21. Mechonis Core***
  22. Bionis' Interior**
  23. Prison Island 2**

*Town/City
**Dungeon

So by my count there were really 11 open zones, but then there were also 7 more confined "dungeons".
I did not realize just how many areas xenoblade had, game was packed

NoName999

1. Colony 9
  2. Tephra Cave**
  3. Bionis' Leg
  4. Colony 6*
  5. Ether Mine**
  6. Satorl Marsh
  7. Makna Forest
  8. Frontier Village*
  9. Eryth Sea
  10. Alcamoth*
  11. High Entia Tomb**
  12. Prison Island 1**
  13. Valak Mountain
  14. Sword Valley
  15. Galahad Fortress**
  16. Fallen Arm
  17. Machina Village*
  18. Mechonis Field
  19. Central Factory
  20. Agniratha
  21. Mechonis Core***
  22. Bionis' Interior**
  23. Prison Island 2**

*Town/City
**Dungeon

Why exclude Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, the Moon, and Sentient Genesis?
:p

Champion

Still looks terrible. Ugliest characters models, terrible performance. A huge downgrade after XCX beauty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umwyql5c3Rk

miraplaneth2js1.jpg

I feel sorry for Monolith Soft to spending their time and resources for unnecessary sequels. We want XCX2, not this.

Well.. At least music is good.
Looking at these screens makes me wonder where the hell they're going with this IP. XC and XCX are night and day in many ways and it seems like Monolift and Nintendo have somehow split the fanbase of this series.

Why go in the direction of XCX if you arent going to be consistent and continue that story? If getting a game out on the Switch asap was the issue they could have just reused those XCX assets since this seems to be the same engine. Or ported XC over to the Switch, which I doubt anyone would have an issue with.

And then you have the 3DS port that I'm still scratching my head over...Weird decisions happening behind the scenes.

Harpoon

Looking at these screens makes me wonder where the hell they're going with this IP. XC and XCX are night and day in many ways and it seems like Monolift and Nintendo have somehow split the fanbase of this series.

Why go in the direction of XCX if you arent going to be consistent and continue that story? If getting a game out on the Switch asap was the issue they could have just reused those XCX assets since this seems to be the same engine. Or ported XC over to the Switch, which I doubt anyone would have an issue with.

And then you have the 3DS port that I'm still scratching my head over...Weird decisions happening behind the scenes.

I don't think "getting a game out on the Switch asap" had anything to do with it. Takahashi said a couple of years ago he wanted to do a more story-focused game akin to the original XC after X was done, and that he wanted to keep switching things up with each game he made to keep himself from getting bored with them. He never intended to jump right into a follow-up to X after finishing the first one (and judging by what we know of Monolith's next project, he still might not after finishing 2).

At this point, it seems obvious that X and any possible sequels to it are going to be more gameplay-oriented with an open world, while the numbered sequels to XC are going to be more story-focused with much more linearity; that's perhaps a simplified view, but still the major differences between both branches of Xenoblade. It's just a result of Takahashi not wanting to do a game too similar to the one right before it.

Why go in the direction of XCX if you arent going to be consistent and continue that story?

Because they wanted to make an open-world sci-fi mech RPG and then they put the Xenoblade name on it to help it sell better. There's nothing in particular about XB2 that means they can't do more XCX later if they want.

Oregano

Because they wanted to make an open-world sci-fi mech RPG and then they put the Xenoblade name on it to help it sell better. There's nothing in particular about XB2 that means they can't do more XCX later if they want.

Minds gonna be blown when Monolith's new fantasy RPG is also called Xenoblade.

Champion

I don't think "getting a game out on the Switch asap" had anything to do with it. Takahashi said a couple of years ago he wanted to do a more story-focused game akin to the original XC after X was done, and that he wanted to keep switching things up with each game he made to keep himself from getting bored with them. He never intended to jump right into a follow-up to X after finishing the first one (and judging by what we know of Monolith's next project, he still might not after finishing 2).

At this point, it seems obvious that X and any possible sequels to it are going to be more gameplay-oriented with an open world, while the numbered sequels to XC are going to be more story-focused with much more linearity; that's perhaps a simplified view, but still the major differences between both branches of Xenoblade. It's just a result of Takahashi not wanting to do a game too similar to the one right before it.
Ummmm...what?
I wasn't inferring this but it does seem odd that they would just leave a cliffhanger at the end of XCX, then move onto something that isn't its sequel. Who knows though, maybe they will port XCX over to Switch before releasing another game similar to it :)

Ummmm...what?

I wasn't inferring this but it does seem odd that they would just leave a cliffhanger at the end of XCX, then move onto something that isn't its sequel. Who knows though, maybe they will port XCX over to Switch before releasing another game similar to it :)

The plan to me is clearly for Xenoblade (numbered) and X to be two linked but distinct series. Takahashi was even pretty upfront before X came out that it was going to be something different from Xenoblade and not a pure sequel, so honestly 2 existing just confirms that. X will probably get a sequel a couple years after 2 is out. Makes sense to alternate between the two.

Yarbskoo

Ever heard of Final Fantasy? It's like that.

Effect

Yeah this hate for XC2 character design is weird.

Some people here on gaf seem to hate any character design that is anime based when it comes to human characters unless it's going 100% in the cartoon direction. If it's not going in the direction of real world look some hate it no matter if it looks good. There are people here that dislike the 3D Zelda designs as well but love how Wind Waker looks. People just seem more free to crap on Xenoblade though I've noticed.

watershed

Banned

Xenoblade is a franchise and the games have far more in common than they do apart. The stories don't have to cross over the same way Final Fantasy games work. But so far a Xenoblade game is a Xenoblade game and that's pretty unmistakable to me.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
ThAt completely depends on which tales of game, each xenoblade game have sold respect fully and gotten pretty close 1 million, tales ofs have had games that sold like shit and a couple that managed to barely reach a million, the latest tales game, berseria despite being one of the higher reviewed ones hasent sold great

You're clearly using Chartz. Maybe don't do that.

We really only know how they sold in Japan.

I think it's still questionable what each could mean, but cosmetics is probably one of these options, especially given the cosmetics shop. I'm more curious about the first and fifth option sharing art, so could this menu still be placeholder?

It could be a placeholder, but Nintendo is hiding things so who knows.

You know Derrick from Gamexplain is playing Xenoblade Chronicles to get prepared for XC2. Watching him just reminds me how much I love that game. Roaming around Colony 9 at night. That combination of music and feel you get as you walk around is so touching. The music is just AMAZING.

Idk that game just gets to me. The combination of it all and going on this grand adventure with all these characters makes it one of the best games ever for me.

This is probably my favorite song from the game.

Snowy Valak Mountain at night.

https://youtu.be/yCo78e53uUc

It's when you're in the moment of the game. It's a large snowy mountain you can roam at night and day. It makes you feel at home and you feel so much comfort. The combination of music and environment feels so perfect. Idk how else to explain it, but things like this makes games so "magical" to me. I could listen to this song all day when it's snowing outside and feel at peace.

I love the music is XCX and it had some fantastic songs that stuck out, but overall XC music just felt right and perfect with each area. I want XC2 to be just like this.

jb1234

I love the music is XCX and it had some fantastic songs that stuck out, but overall XC music just felt right and perfect with each area. I want XC2 to be just like this.

I think we'll be pleased. Here's the piece from the preview, heavily processed to remove as much of the voices as possible (and boy, can you tell). The composer is clearly Mitsuda but it's impressive how he's managed to modify his style to fit more with Xenoblade's sound world. This wouldn't be out of place in Satorl Marsh (at night).

https://youtu.be/-WoyeTiHFp8

DJIzana

I completely disagree. I think people who like Xenoblade X like the original Xenoblade as well. At least, that's the way I see most people talking about it. I like Xenoblade X more than the original but I still like the original and am also excited for Xenoblade 2 as well.

Top Bottom