• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles is now $90 [pre-owned] at Gamestop

Andrew.

Banned
I feel like a dick simply for going through all the work of modding my Wii and importing the game only to never even finish it.

This is how I feel after having two copies of the game, one sealed.

birdman-rubbing-hands.gif

Amazing gif.

Dragon

Banned
Try to sell it off on eBay, I don't think Gamestop will give you much unless you want to trick them. Just wondering why you would buy the PAL version instead of your local version.

I bought the game before it was clear it was coming to the States. I was able to mod my Wii to play it. I just wish my computer could play it in Dolphin without the audio glitches and freezes.

Fox Mulder

It amazes me how this game is worth so much now. I just walked into Gamestop at the end of last year and they still had a few copies lol

So glad I managed to get it and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

A few stores around me have copies now, as they recently sent out a targeted email for anyone that bought xenoblade or metroid prime trilogy saying how you can earn up to $40 trade in value for them. I don't know why someone would own xenoblade and then be totally unaware of its worth to trade it into gamestop, but whatever.

SmokyDave

I'm thankful for my copy. I wonder how much it's gonna cost in a few years from now?

Provided Nintendo doesn't do a downloadable version of the game.
That last line is the key. Once Nintendo check their fax machine and realise what the situation is, you'd think they'll pop it on the eShop.

Lumyst

That last line is the key. Once Nintendo check their fax machine and realise what the situation is, you'd think they'll pop it on the eShop.

Okay, I was wondering "Fax machine, wtf?" Then I got it and started laughing.

Also, Dragon, did you try that "Dolphin Xenoblade Sound patched"? My computer has an HD 6950 and a Phenom II X4 and it ran Xenoblade well at 1080p as long as AA was completely off (all other enhancements were fine).

kswiston

Nintendo can't even manage to get GBA games up for sale on the 3DS eshop 2 years after they offered 10 of them for free to ambassador customers. Perhaps in 2020 we'll see Xenoblade up for sale on the Wii U's successor's eShop.

I'm tempted to sell mine because $100+ is a crazy amount of money for a game, but... it's my favorite game this gen, so... I don't think I should, lol. Hmm.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Actually looks like used prices have dropped a bit recently. Was going for upwards of $100 constantly, so I guess a ton of people jumped on that and flooded the market a bit so now they are going for $90, give or take.

I think they still use carrier pigeons.

Smoke signals.

So if the game sold well, even with the little advertising and is going for that much, why doesn't Nintendo order another shipment?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Wondering how they would do it. Do they have any retail titles on the Wii Shop? Would (could?) they release a native Wii game on the eShop? Would it run some goofy Wii Menu mode?

100% all for an eShop release. Would even pay full price unhesitatingly. DO YOU HEAR THAT NINTENDO! FULL GOD DAMN PRICE!

edit - and on your guys' recent note, I paid $70 for Chrono Trigger cartridge only from funcoland in like 2000 or so. No. Regrets. If I could get Xenoblade for under $100 I would probably jump at it.

Lumyst

Final Fantasy III was worth the $90 or whatever it was that it cost when it was new. And those were 1994 dollars. That's about $140 today.

Okay, off topic but my parents bought my n64 games. Did the games really cost $80 or am I remembering wrong?

PirateKing

I bought the game before it was clear it was coming to the States. I was able to mod my Wii to play it. I just wish my computer could play it in Dolphin without the audio glitches and freezes.

I played it on Dolphin, that cracking noise was really annoying but there are ways around it. Whenever that happens, just change your day time and it should be fine. I'm sure if you manually change some of the coding to your PC's setting, it'll get rid of it.

I haven't played it mainly for the reason I don't have a copy yet. Whenever I get one somehow (it was gone a few weeks after release in Australia, at least where I live) I'll continue to finish it then play it on Wii U later on.

Fox Mulder

I don't think it'll get on the eshop.

It's a wii game, which would have be bought from the eshop and ran on the wiiu in wii mode. Seems way too complicated for Nintendo to get their heads around.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So if the game sold well, even with the little advertising and is going for that much, why doesn't Nintendo order another shipment?

For one, they're done with Wii. And it's still a fairly niche game with ???? demand. Resellers and collectors who wouldn't otherwise buy it are part of the reason the value has increased. So they could make another moderate sized run of the game, and it end up sitting on shelves and not selling.

A quick and dirty WiiU port on the eShop for $40 or so would make a lot more sense, since it would be an incentive for people to buy a WiiU, and they wouldn't really have to worry as much about demand since there is no chance for excess stock.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Okay, off topic but my parents bought my n64 games. Did the games really cost $80 or am I remembering wrong?

It really depends. Most games were in the $50 range for SNES and N64. But once you started going above 12Mbits for SNES and above 64Mbits for N64, prices started going all over. I remember Star Wars SOTE was like $70 at launch or something (I believe it was 96Mbits)

yeah, Chrono Trigger was 32Mbit, FFIII was 24Mbit, Mario RPG was 32Mbit, etc. These games were all $60-80 brand new at retail.

edit - for reference, it was the same during the 8-bit era also.. Only then it was like 4Mbit games that were like $50 as opposed to $30, and 6Mbit+ games going for like $60-70.

pikablu

Bought mine at a local gamestop brand new for $49.99 on 12/31/12. Weeks later I found out how rare it had become.

Am I the only one getting irritated about people owning two copies for no reason? That copy could be in the hands of someone who would love it instead of sitting on your desk top.
In my case at the time of the release I didn't have time for gaming and couldn't afford it.

The reason I have for owning two copies (UK version to play, US version sealed) was to support the US release. I supported the Op Rainfall campaign, so it didn't seem right to cheap out and not buy the game when the campaign succeeded. If Xenoblade didn't sell enough and was available for bargain prices now, the future of RPG localizations on Nintendo platforms would be much more bleak.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still have five sealed copies and one opened and played copy from each region.

The last one I sold for brought me 225.

bryehn

I sold my used copy for 100 us just a couple of months ago. I should have held out a bit longer. Only played a few hours too, just wasn't my bag.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Truth be told though it was easy as hell to find for the first six or so months after release so people who wanted it only have themselves to blame knowing how rare a Gamestop only limited release would be.

PirateKing

The reason I have for owning two copies (UK version to play, US version sealed) was to support the US release. I supported the Op Rainfall campaign, so it didn't seem right to cheap out and not buy the game when the campaign succeeded. If Xenoblade didn't sell enough and was available for bargain prices now, the future of RPG localizations on Nintendo platforms would be much more bleak.

I completely understand this. When I said that I wasn't really aiming at people like who bought different regions. Part of this could be the reason, perhaps you thought it wouldn't come to US and that's understandable but I know some people who bought over 5 copies of the game in here and are trading them for $120+ for standard copies.

There is a shop in here that kept couple of copies unopened for no reason and is selling them for over $100, mind you these are UK versions, not local versions.

Sandfox

Nintendo can't even manage to get GBA games up for sale on the 3DS eshop 2 years after they offered 10 of them for free to ambassador customers. Perhaps in 2020 we'll see Xenoblade up for sale on the Wii U's successor's eShop.

Ninendo themselves said that GBA games weren't coming to the 3DS when the ambassador titles were announced. I wouldn't expect Xenoblade at all since they don't have Wii titles up anyways.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm still betting on a release of some sort this gen. Maybe a simple wrapper and a downloadable version of the Wii game.

I'd definitely buy an HD version if that ever happened though; hell I'd probably import a system if Nintendo pulled the same nonsense.

Ridley327

Fifty nine dollars and ninety nine cents

Well, it would certainly be cheaper at $60.

It feels like I see this every generation with Nintendo hardware: if you guys aren't picking up first party releases that are at the end of the life cycle right away, you aren't seeing them ever again.

Lumyst

It really depends. Most games were in the $50 range for SNES and N64. But once you started going above 12Mbits for SNES and above 64Mbits for N64, prices started going all over. I remember Star Wars SOTE was like $70 at launch or something (I believe it was 96Mbits)

yeah, Chrono Trigger was 32Mbit, FFIII was 24Mbit, Mario RPG was 32Mbit, etc. These games were all $60-80 brand new at retail.

edit - for reference, it was the same during the 8-bit era also.. Only then it was like 4Mbit games that were like $50 as opposed to $30, and 6Mbit+ games going for like $60-70.

Damn, I've never owned a Sony console but no wonder the Playstation dominated! Retrospectively, I wonder if other Nintendo gamers had the same issue as me: Parent associates video games with Nintendo and buys kids Nintendo console only throughout their life. They would only buy one or two games a year. So, gaming became a "rare treat" for the kids and they would only get those one or two Nintendo games (Mario and Zelda) that came out and that was the extent of their gaming.

I'm in college now and can buy my own games, and Xenoblade was the game that stopped that cycle for me and after learning that Nintendo doesn't really provide that kind of game I had no choice but to buy third party games to fill that desire for JRPGs. It was so unlike a Nintendo game and unexpected. It had characters that interacted with each other and an epic (but cheesy) story (and jiggling...) When Metal Face plunged his claws into Fiora and threw her away with bloody claws, it was so unexpected of a Nintendo game.

Fox Mulder

How will you feel when they re-release it?

I had a awesome Lego Star Wars collection, each ship worth triple its original MSRP. :D and then Lego re-released them. :(

which is why I collect things I enjoy, if they're worth a lot of money, great I guess.

Of course Lego would rerelease Star Wars stuff, it's a giant franchise that sells well for them. I bought every piece for the UCS millennium falcon off the internet because it was the second largest set they ever made, but wish they would release a new version. It's kind of shitty for something so cool to be out of print and expensive.

Zing

Banned
I picked up my copy on release day from my local EBGames. The clerk said they had a total of three preorders for the game. I'm in a town of almost 100,000 people with only two video game stores, and a measly three people ordered this game.

Truth be told though it was easy as hell to find for the first six or so months after release so people who wanted it only have themselves to blame knowing how rare a Gamestop only limited release would be.
Not only that, but used copies with the art book were selling for less than retail that October on eBay. I remember being surprised that the value was so low. I was planning to sell mine until I saw how little it was worth.

Jawmuncher

I'm glad the Wii OS on WiiU was hackable.
Lets me play my imported PAL version with no issues. Had it not been for that I'd be pretty tempted to buy it again even at 90.

Brannon

*huggles copy*

And it looks so gorgeous on Dolphin as well. Maybe Nintendo should eShop it or something. Or keep telling us to "Please Understand".

That works, too. Because they have so many games that they can't schedule release dates for them all. What a productive company.

Top Bottom