• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Review Thread

BashNasty

I understand where they're coming from. But I wonder how that will impact the review if the reviewer was "rushing" to finish it.

Seems like the reviewer isn't rushing to finish it, so no need to worry.

If the game gets a poor score, it's because the reviewer didn't like the game, not something insidious.

TheMoon

Shit, Giantbomb might even have their review before this one.

That is, if those guys from the cast of Cheers even choose to review it at all.

Austin seemed to be deep into the game but I just cannot believe they'd review this game considering how few reviews GB does in a year (gets less and less).

Any good in depth video review for this ?

The GameXplain one. It's 20+ minutes long (no spoilers).

Just finishing the game in this case is kind of a misnomer. Jose is just over 50 hours and still not done, whereas GX put 85 in as a result of the sidequests which apparently add a lot to the story and/or world-building

I'm not sure how ign fell so far behind as several reviews mentioned playtimes north of 50-hours. But despite that it's good to see he didn't compromise the review to meet embargo because of his lesser playtime

Examiner - 5/5 (10/10)
Onelargeprawn - 9.5/10
WCCFtech - 9.2/10
Gametactics - 9/10
Shinigaming - 9/10
GameRevolution - 4.5/5 (9/10)
MMORPG.com - 8.8/10
JustPushStart - 8/10
InternationalBusinessTimes - No Score

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's not here; I blame you.

Is yours through Amazon? Mine didn't make their 8 PM deadline. Judging by the tracking history, it's not going to arrive later tonight either, since it just arrived at a center about 30 minutes from me and not my local branch. I'm thinking it will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Hiltz

It's good to see that Xenoblade X is getting pleasantly good reviews for the most part. It's hard for me to resist not getting a Nintendo console this generation, and Xenoblade X just reminds me of how fun a lot of Nintendo's exclusives look, but I feel like I should just wait at least until E3 2016 so Nintendo sheds more details on what NX is. Hopefully, it supports BC.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's good to see that Xenoblade X is getting pleasantly good reviews for the most part. It's hard for me to resist not getting a Nintendo console this generation, and Xenoblade X just reminds me of how fun a lot of Nintendo's exclusives look, but I feel like I should just wait at least until E3 2016 so Nintendo sheds more details on what NX is. Hopefully, it supports BC.

I think you have a good plan. Also, I think it's reasonable to expect a price drop to hit Wii U after NX gets attention because sales would probably slow dramatically. So, at the very least, if the new system ends up not being Wii U backwards compatible and you still want to play XCX, perhaps wait for some Black Friday deals and you'll probably be able to snag it for pretty cheap. Also, since so many people speculate that NX will get Wii U ports if it's not backwards compatible, perhaps wait and see to see if that seems to be an initiative Nintendo is pursuing.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is yours through Amazon? Mine didn't make their 8 PM deadline. Judging by the tracking history, it's not going to arrive later tonight either, since it just arrived at a center about 30 minutes from me and not my local branch. I'm thinking it will arrive tomorrow afternoon.
Nah, BB, still infuriating that it still says On-Time and arrival by today, end of day and has not updated since shipping day. :/

Leatherface

As a PC gamer I am very hard to impress visually. I don't know what kind of wizardry the devs managed to pull out of the Wii U but this game is fucking unbelievable. Proof that you don't have to hit all the technical check points to make a beautiful piece of art.

Branson

I'm surprised these reviews I've read didn't mention the game doesn't support 5.1. Sound is like 1/3rd of the experience. Especially if they are trying to immerse you into this world it's as important as good graphics. Like I didn't even know that was possible to not do in 2015 for a AAA game.

Nightbird

I'm surprised these reviews I've read didn't mention the game doesn't support 5.1. Sound is like 1/3rd of the experience. Especially if they are trying to immerse you into this world it's as important as good graphics. Like I didn't even know that was possible to not do in 2015 for a AAA game.

Considering they hired an renowned outsider to do the Soundtrack, it's kinda stupid they didn't do that.

Myriadis

Didn't manage to get a copy yesterday and today, simply cause I'm that kind of guy who doesn't want to ask his bro to take a detour just so I can snatch a copy right after playing football.
Oh well, I still have some Witcher 3 or Dark Souls to play, Monday it is then.

In terms of review complaints that are not mentioned much in reviews Small, hard to read text not seen since Nuts n' bolts is one I see a lot in the |OT|. I can understand reviewers probably play on a desk (and I will be doing the same) where this problem is less obvious.

Since order wows tend to be in this thread (well both actually but this is relevant)...
I got a £5 voucher earlier this year for another pre-order that was delivered after release day, can't remember which one now though.
I just did the same. Amazon UK did tell they normally only offer these if you pay for delivery though.

What I don't get is a game that takes 4 days to dispatch seems to get free next delivery while this is dispatched and gets a 4 day delay on its 2 days delivery due to "a delay in our transportation department" and this was delay was only apparent as soon as the dispatch itself happened and not the hours before? The chat almost made it sound like it had not been dispatched yet despite receiving an e-mail it had. Technically I think it is packed but waiting to be given to a delivery company which probably explains why its tracking makes no sense.

Unsure if I'll ever use Amazon at this time of year for pre-orders ever again. Why stick this pre-order though? It was only £30 for reasons I can not figure (I suppose pre-order price guarantee but third party trackers never tracked it so low) but having to wait until Monday at the earliest (Wednesday is the estimate) almost makes it not worth it. If I were to philosophical I'll still get to play it long before the next time it becomes £30.

Still compared to other (non-Amazon) ordering issues that have happened to friends and family (for things vital to their businesses) so I am aware it is very much first world problems :)

Peterthumpa

As a PC gamer I am very hard to impress visually. I don't know what kind of wizardry the devs managed to pull out of the Wii U but this game is fucking unbelievable. Proof that you don't have to hit all the technical check points to make a beautiful piece of art.

This comment pleases me. Hurry up download.

I think you have a good plan. Also, I think it's reasonable to expect a price drop to hit Wii U after NX gets attention because sales would probably slow dramatically. So, at the very least, if the new system ends up not being Wii U backwards compatible and you still want to play XCX, perhaps wait for some Black Friday deals and you'll probably be able to snag it for pretty cheap. Also, since so many people speculate that NX will get Wii U ports if it's not backwards compatible, perhaps wait and see to see if that seems to be an initiative Nintendo is pursuing.
The Wii U has an acomplished library already and in the past black friday had an offer of the system with 2 of it's biggest games included for a discounted price. There are enough games to keep him busy until 2016 where the first piece of the NX puzzle might be released (probably the portable version of the NX platform).

Also the logic of waiting for the NX is not as sound as you think. By that stage the focus will be the NX system itself and it's own games. If he's really interested, there has been plenty of opportunities already to get the Wii U for a fair price.

On topic:

im not much into reviews but i did saw one in wich one of the main complaints was that the game didn't handhold the player as much as the reviewer wanted and that learning the ropes of combat involved experimentation.

ANd of course it is an opinion, but what's the exact line where a game gets praised for behaving like this while other get's punished?

rhandino

Banned
I understand where they're coming from. But I wonder how that will impact the review if the reviewer was "rushing" to finish it.
It's was kind of cute in the IGN Plays lives update they did when he said that the Skells vehicles forms were fast but kind of slippery and way later in the video he tried an Inferno model for the first time and noticed that not only the vehicle form was different but also controlled different.

Really, I would hate to be him trying to rush this game =/

It's was kind of cute in the IGN Plays lives update they did when he said that the Skells vehicles forms were fast but kind of slippery and way later in the video he tried an Inferno model for the first time and noticed that not only the vehicle form was different but also controlled different.

Really, I would hate to be him trying to rush this game =/

Oh geeze...will he actually be able to finish and review the game by Monday then??

Exile20

Choose what was important and execute is what they did.

JCX

Jose's review was pretty fair, save for the music critique. The song in his video review isn't really representative of the soundtrack as a whole. It's very hit/miss overall. Some people just aren't used to lyrics in their video game music.

nubbe

Jose's review was pretty fair, save for the music critique. The song in his video review isn't really representative of the soundtrack as a whole. It's very hit/miss overall. Some people just aren't used to lyrics in their video game music.

my main issue is mainly that the lyrics overpower the dialog
overall the soundtrack fits the setting, but it's not really that great

Xenoblade had an amazing soundtrack so that can be hard to follow

JCX

Yeah, the sound mix is definitely off, I had the same issue with some early cutscenes. Xenoblade's OST is a masterpiece, so even though XCX is good, it looks much worse like you said.

Reveirg

Great soundtracks that are mismanaged in-game are like a staple of the Xeno series. Xenosaga 1 and 2 being the biggest offenders.

MJ - 100/10

Haven't played any game for months and been struggling to get into any game lately. This game is pulling me like nothing and I can't seem to have enough of it.

I don't care what comes next in the game. It already gave me more than $60 worth :p

Rodin

Kill Screen gave it a 5 with possibly the worst review i've ever read in my life, beating Gamespot's DK TF review by a wide margin. Just an angry dude writing nonsense about something. I'm sure metacritic will count this in no time!
/s

MJ - 100/10

Haven't played any game for months and been struggling to get into any game lately. This game is pulling me like nothing and I can't seem to have enough of it.

I don't care what comes next in the game. It already gave me more than $60 worth :p

Exactly how I feel.

I haven't been this addicted to a game since MH4U earlier this year. I simply can't stop playing it. Over 40 hours already. Ugh!

Top Bottom