• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: website update (April 28): Paid DLC info, online and more

Muzicfreq

Banned
tumblr_nn6uo4p16A1ru72puo1_400.gif
o_O? what?
...that's what the bundle is.

Ah okay then. That's fine for me.

xaszatm

Banned
-_- so DLC is perfectly fine now.... If it's Nintendo apparently.

To me if DLC starts costing 1/3 game price it may as well have a season pass option for a discounted price.

...except it IS a season pass for a discounted price. All those DLC alone costs 2900 Yen together but buying it in a bundle makes it 2000 Yen. Plus, unlike other Season Passes, Nintendo pretty much tells you exactly what you're getting. So yeah, this is good DLC. DLC itself was never the problem, it was how companies abused it.

...except it IS a season pass for a discounted price. All those DLC alone costs 2900 Yen together but buying it in a bundle makes it 2000 Yen. Plus, unlike other Season Passes, Nintendo pretty much tells you exactly what you're getting. So yeah, this is good DLC. DLC itself was never the problem, it was how companies abused it.

Completely arguable. Then again, Nintendo has been a lot more fair with MK8 DLCs.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

ivysaur12

Banned
We also know next to nothing about a release in the West or even if said release will come with any extras to attempt to make the game more appealing here (considering the West will be by far their biggest audience even though it's likely going to do terribly everywhere in the end).

Granted, it's Golden Week, but YSO predicts a slightly larger opening for XCX than XC (also, sequels tend to be more front loaded, so we'll see). I don't also don't think the game could do worse in America, considering it will have an actual release and not whatever that was for XC.

wrowa

Granted, it's Golden Week, but YSO predicts a slightly larger opening for XCX than XC (also, sequels tend to be more front loaded, so we'll see). I don't also don't think the game could do worse in America, considering it will have an actual release and not whatever that was for XC.

Slighlty larger opening than Xenoblade isn't really all that good when the first thing Iwata did in the Iwata Asks was criticizing the "low reach" of the first game. :/

But reasonably speaking, there's just no way Xenoblade X could possibly sell enough copies on Wii U for sales to be actually regarded as "good". Let's be optimistic and assume that the title will move 150k units in Japan, and 500k copies between the US and Europe. That would still just make slightly more than half a million copies for a huge open world game that was in development for several years. Is that enough to recoup the costs? I'd honestly guess not. So, let's just hope that losing money on this one won't prevent Nintendo from greenlighting another huge scale project by Monolith in the future.

(I'd be a lot more optimistic about that one if sales of Xenoblade 3D were better. >_>)

Will buy the DLC in a heartbeat, really. I don't even know whether or not I'll ever have enough time to fully explore Xenoblade X, but I feel like it's a miracle that Monolith got to develop a new game with this scale in the first place, despite Xenoblade's rather weak sales. So, I'm going to do everything to support this title. If it means paying an additional 20$, whatever, sure.

That game sold 200k in japan on the wii and three times that outside that tiny island country.

Weak my ass. Its at 27.1k with the 3D port

Slighlty larger opening than Xenoblade isn't really all that good when the first thing Iwata did in the Iwata Asks was criticizing the "low reach" of the first game. :/

But reasonably speaking, there's just no way Xenoblade X could possibly sell enough copies on Wii U for sales to be actually regarded as "good". Let's be optimistic and assume that the title will move 150k units in Japan, and 500k copies between the US and Europe. That would still just make slightly more than half a million copies for a huge open world game that was in development for several years. Is that enough to recoup the costs? I'd honestly guess not. So, let's just hope that losing money on this one won't prevent Nintendo from greenlighting another huge scale project by Monolith in the future.

(I'd be a lot more optimistic about that one if sales of Xenoblade 3D were better. >_>)

I find it hilarious that your measure of "optimistic" is less than the first game.

Honestly Nintendo's looking for a million seller with this game. 2 million would be optimistic.

Wonder how much the bundle will contribute. Its golden week so Im hoping the game can get 100-200k first week

TheMoon

I think it's great. Worked out pretty well for MK8. 50% more content for less than 50% of the price. I mean, 20€ is the price for an expansion pack, with a new region, not 4 characters and 3 quests each + cosmetics.

You're ignoring the bundle completely. And the fact that there is nothing that costs €20. This costs 2000 yen. Stop talking about Euros or Dollars or whatever other currency because this is a price for Japan which has no bearing on what happens here.

ivysaur12

Banned

I mean, sure, but also, I don't think Nintendo could expect anything better considering the state of the platform that it's releasing on. There's also value in things that don't necessarily recoup their costs upfront, and Nintendo is a fairly patient publisher that seems to understand the marketplace that its games are released in.

I also think Xenoblade 3DS is doing as "fine" as one could reasonably expect, given the nature of its release. It'll sell out its initial shipment + a little more when it's all said and done

That game sold 200k in japan on the wii and three times that outside that tiny island country.

Weak my ass. Its at 27.1k with the 3D port

I find it hilarious that your measure of "optimistic" is less than the first game.

Honestly Nintendo's looking for a million seller with this game. 2 million would be optimistic.

Wonder how much the bundle will contribute. Its golden week so Im hoping the game can get 100-200k first week

We don't actually have any hard data for how the game sold in the West, especially since there was no tracking for the game in America because it was retailer exclusive. All we know is that it "sold more", according to an Iwata Asks. It'll probably sell more here again as well, but there's also the issue that it's being released on a system with a much smaller install base. There's very little chance it would come close to a million sold worldwide.

L~A

Will update the OP when we have translations by Gessenkou, though there isn't all that much (mostly repeat from Doll / Network presentation except for the DLC page).

You're ignoring the bundle completely. And the fact that there is nothing that costs €20. This costs 2000 yen. Stop talking about Euros or Dollars or whatever other currency because this is a price for Japan which has no bearing on what happens here.

I'm not ignoring the bundle. The bundle is for 2000 yens, with 4 characters, some quests and cosmectics things. Okay, says it's not 20 euros, what price will it be ? 15 dollars ?
That's still expensive for such low content.

Then again, 15 to 20 euros/dollars is the price you'd expect for an expansion pack.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not ignoring the bundle. The bundle is for 2000 yens, with 4 characters, some quests and cosmectics things. Okay, says it's not 20 euros, what price will it be ? 15 dollars ?

Then again, 15 to 20 euros/dollars is the price you'd expect for an expansion pack.

"Low content"? The characters played completely differently in Xenoblade to the point where they felt like a different game. Even if that was diminished slightly through the class system in XCX, that's still a huge fucking addition to the game. Plus 30 quests and new Dolls/Skells.

The bundle includes...

-4 new fully voiced characters
-3 new Doll model blueprints
-1 new multi-weapon
-New Arts
-30 quests (Some of which help you get money/materials/affinity/etc. faster.)
-Unlocks Fashion Equipment mode

As I said before, I think the value is there.

What expac are you buying that is only that much? We talking mmo expac (which is usually in the 40 range) or we talking Destiny type "expac" which has 1/20th the content and is half the price of the game? For dlc the price for this is quite normal compared to what everyone else prices theirs at. It also has just as much, if not more, content as what others have.

"Low content"? The characters played completely differently in Xenoblade to the point where they felt like a different game. Even if that was diminished slightly through the class system in XCX, that's still a huge fucking addition to the game. Plus 30 quests and new Dolls/Skells.

I guess our views different on what a huge addition is.

What expac are you buying that is only that much? We talking mmo expac (which is usually in the 40 range) or we talking Destiny type "expac" which has 1/20th the content and over half the price? For dlc the price for this is quite normal compared to what everyone else prices theirs at, it also has just as much, if not more, content as what others have.

To stay in the Nintendo side: Mario Kart 8 expansions were worthy of that price. Destiny isnt the kind of expansion pack I would consider fair.
Then again, I think that for 20 to 25% of the game price, someone could expect more content than what is shown here.
Although, I have to recognize that at least, it doesn't feel like forced content, as the game already seems to offer such a wealth of content.

The bundle includes...

-4 new fully voiced characters
-3 new Doll model blueprints
-1 new multi-weapon
-New Arts
-30 quests (Some of which help you get money/materials/affinity/etc. faster.)
-Unlocks Fashion Equipment mode

As I said before, I think the value is there.

And I think it doesn't. It's even more obvious to me that Xeno X pack already so much content.

this could go two ways for the west

included free upon release

or they don't bother translating the dlc with this extra voice work at all

I just don't trust this to be fully supported

ivysaur12

Banned

Why wouldn't they? There's a lot of revenue to be gained. Also, the West is where Xenoblade did best. So it would make sense that they'd release all the DLC here to maximize their revenue potential.

And I think it doesn't. It's even more obvious to me that Xeno X pack already so much content.
That's your prerogative to think so. I'm not sure what you mean by the second part though.

Yes, XCX is a huge game on it's own, but that doesn't diminish the value of the DLC. In fact it should make it even more appealing IMO, because it's not an obviously chopped off chunk of the main game sold at a premium, but genuine extra content meant to enhance the main game.

Nintendo has to my knowledge never excluded any regions from their DLC offerings, I'm not sure why they would now.

royox

So...let me see if I understand it.

ME3 was released with 1 single DLC Character with his quest and everyfucking body shat over EA/Bioware (even me).

But if Xenoblade X has 4, not 1, 4 DAY 1 DLC bloqued characters voiced and with their own quest, and Skells that's totally ok.

I just...can't understand.

That's your prerogative to think so. I'm not sure what you mean by the second part though.

Yes, XCX is a huge game on it's own, but that doesn't diminish the value of the DLC. In fact it should make it even more appealing IMO, because it's not an obviously chopped off chunk of the main game sold at a premium, but genuine extra content meant to enhance the main game.

Nintendo has to my knowledge never excluded any regions from their DLC offerings, I'm not sure why they would now.

What I mean is that XCX offer a lot of content. And I think that DLCs should respect a balance between the price of the game and the price of the DLC compared to what it offers. I may be wrong, but to me this DLC represent less than 5% of the total content. But it may be sold to 20 to 25% of the game price.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

ME3 was released with 1 single DLC Character with his quest and everyfucking body shat over EA/Bioware (even me).

But if Xenoblade X has 4, not 1, 4 DAY 1 DLC bloqued characters voiced and with their own quest, and Skells that's totally ok.

I'm not sure on X but the ME3 character gave insight as to why machines should not be trusted and tossed out of the airlock

ivysaur12

Banned

Well, yeah. First of all, on the Day 1 DLC: the game is already releasing on a 22.7 GB and this is content that otherwise couldn't fit in the game. Secondly, you probably should read those complaints again to realize why people generally don't care, especially compared to with your Mass Effect example.

What I mean is that XCX offer a lot of content. And I think that DLCs should respect a balance between the price of the game and the price of the DLC compared to what it offers. I may be wrong, but to me this DLC represent less than 5% of the total content. But it may be sold to 20 to 25% of the game price.

Now you're just making things up.

I may be wrong, but wasn't the ME3 DLC character pretty much important plot wise ?
IIRC he was
a prothean

Nanashrew

Banned
Okay, while I'm still up Google Translate gave me this.

<オンラインショップ>
5月8日午後掲載いたします。

<Online Shop>
May 8 will be posted afternoon.

So is it really day 1 DLC?

I never played ME3 so I can't speak for that, but my stance is that if the content is worthwhile then I don't mind if it's "day 1". (Though this technically isn't.) From what we've heard from multiple sources, the core game is extremely expansive on its own, so this DLC is purely supplemental, as opposed to a paywall for obvious base content.

As I said before, trying to scale DLC price to content percentage is not gonna do any game any favors. (Plus, how do you even quantify that?) DLC is a premium product, that's the whole nature of it. But when the DLC viewed on its own merits adds value equaling or exceeding its price, then I think it's worth it, and I happen to think this is one of those times.

royox

He did give reasons why the reapers do what they do

Nope. That was the Leviathan DLC quest.

I never played ME3 so I can't speak for that, but my stance is that if the content is worthwhile then I don't mind if it's "day 1". (Though this technically isn't.) From what we've heard from multiple sources, the core game is extremely expansive on it's own, so this DLC is purely supplemental, as opposed to a paywall for obvious base content.

As I said before, trying to scale DLC price to content percentage is not gonna do any game any favors. DLC is a premium product, that's the whole nature of it. But when the DLC viewed on its own merits adds value equaling or exceeding its price, then I think it's worth it, and I happen to think this is one of those times.

So 4 exclusive characters behind a paywall of 17$ it's ok in a JRPG where everything is about the character roster?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I don't think I'd be willing to pay $20 for that amount of content either, but that's mitigated by the fact that the base game has so much content already in it I don't think I'd ever need any more. I think the small group of people who will have invested so much into the game that they've seen everything there is to see are probably big enough enthusiasts that they're willing to justify spending a little extra on this kind of dlc.

casiopao

Well, Xenoblade itself already packed with crazy amount of content which caused the gamer needing to DL patches to further enhance the experience. This content maybe unable to filled inside the game itself.

royox

Well, Xenoblade itself already packed with crazy amount of content which caused the gamer needing to DL patches to further enhance the experience. This content maybe unable to filled inside the game itself.

"So we make the player pay extra cash for cut content from the game".

I don't care if the game has a fuckton of content or not. What I care is about party members with exclusive skills and skells behind a paywall.

So 4 exclusive characters behind a paywall of 17$ it's ok in a JRPG where everything is about the character roster?
Yes? We've already got 9 confirmed playable story characters and access to almost an unlimited amount of characters through the online modes. You're not gonna run out of options in just the core game. You can even change your avatar whenever you like eventually. (And you get much more than the characters for the presumed $17.)

These are 4 unique characters that are purely supplemental and were designed as such. That's what good DLC is. $5 bucks a character is a standard price for this type of DLC, and lots of times they don't come with a bunch of additional content, as these ones do.

Nanashrew

Banned

cut content argument doesn't quite work here since Xenoblade X is using up around 22-23GBs of disc space so there really is nothing to cut. There is literally nothing more they could fit into the disc. They put everything they could into the game.

EDIT: and this may not even be day 1 DLC. One person in the other thread said this is coming in May.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Crossposting from the other thread:
It's not "Day 1 DLC". The game releases on 29.04 and the DLC will be available from 08.05.

Edit:
It's May, not August.

I know some people were worried when Nintendo starting getting into DLC, but for the most part I think they've shown that they offer really great value with their content. Fire Emblem Awakening, Mario Golf 3DS, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 all had really substantial additions for a good price IMO. (A bit too early to say so for Smash Bros.) And it looks like XCX will continue this thankfully.

Especially considering the amount of core content this game already has. It's not like this is a chopped off piece they are selling for extra.
The Fire Emblem DLC was the opposite of substantial. $52 of crap.

I thought I got my money's worth. I wouldn't of kept up with it if I thought otherwise. Compare it to a game like DoA5 for example, and you'll see a DLC price scale that I think is unreasonable.

$6 bucks for 3 new maps and 3 new characters each (or a bunch of new Supports) was a good value to me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I'll agree the dlc may be overpriced, but if you're quantifying it based on amount of content then it's just as easy to make the argument that the base game is underpriced for what it delivers. I'd say the exact same thing if it was a Sony or MS game. That doesn't mean most people would be willing to pay extra for the base game, though, which is something to consider when looking at the economics of this dlc.

Nintendo are clearly experimenting with different models in terms of payment and content. As long as we continue to send them the right message when it comes to sales, there's reason to be optimistic.

edit: Although I should add that in Fire Emblem's case they are aware of the relatively small but dedicated fanbase the series has and that likely means pricier dlc that less people will buy. They have said as much when speaking about the series.

Yes but look at that Nopon armor though!

img_online05_04.jpg

This means a Nopon can join your party as a fighting member? Yay. :D
With the multiple optional characters that can join it would make sense for there to be a Nopon since they live on the planet, but I hadn't seen any confirmation or proof.

royox

Yes? We've already got 9 confirmed playable story characters and access to almost an unlimited amount of characters through the online modes. You're not gonna run out of options in just the core game. You can even change your avatar whenever you like eventually. (And you get much more than the characters for the presumed $17.)

These are 4 unique characters that are purely supplemental and were designed as such. That's what good DLC is. $5 bucks a character is a standard price for this type of DLC, and lots of times they don't come with a bunch of additional content, as these ones do.

I'm sorry but I will never accept the "Game has 9 characters, it doesn't matter if it has 4 more DLC characters". For me the game has 13 characters now and I won't be able to use 4 of them.

I'm sorry but I will never accept the "Game has 9 characters, it doesn't matter if it has 4 more DLC characters". For me the game has 13 characters now and I won't be able to use 4 of them.
I don't think you're wrong to think that, I just don't agree. I imagine you don't find the concept of any DLC appealing then.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

You have some strange logic. If it matters that much to you, buy the dlc upfront. Personally it seems wiser to play the game first to see if you even enjoy it before spending extra.

Why wouldn't they? There's a lot of revenue to be gained. Also, the West is where Xenoblade did best. So it would make sense that they'd release all the DLC here to maximize their revenue potential.

I hope you are right

I'll buy it, but I don't really like it. Really missing having everything being just part of the game and on the game disk. :c

What are the chances of there being a "actual complete edition" of the game with everything included later? Does Nintendo do that at all?

Yeah, I agree with that, but I know it's not the popular opinion.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Honest question to everyone in this thread:

Do you have a personal metric you use to quantify value when it comes to gaming?

For example: dollars spent per hour of enjoyment?

I just have a thing against "Exclusive Character DLC". I don't really care about quests or the skells.
Well the quests are centered around the characters so I imagine you wouldn't want one without the other but I'm sorry you feel that way. I'd love it if all the DLC was free for everyone, but I personally don't feel I'm being withheld anything from the main game, but rather just given an option to add onto it if I wish. Hopefully the base game will have enough content to make it worthwhile for you. (I don't think you need to worry about that though, as has been previously documented.)

I'll buy it, but I don't really like it. Really missing having everything being just part of the game and on the game disk. :c

What are the chances of there being a "actual complete edition" of the game with everything included later? Does Nintendo do that at all?
Unlikely considering not even the entire base game fits on one disk. Maybe a version with a DLC voucher though.

Hooray for cut content. Three years after ME3, we definitely look more accepting of these practices.

Edit: hadn't seen the date clarification, nevermind.

Top Bottom