• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: website update (April 28): Paid DLC info, online and more

That game sold 200k in japan on the wii and three times that outside that tiny island country.

Weak my ass. Its at 27.1k with the 3D port

I find it hilarious that your measure of "optimistic" is less than the first game.

Honestly Nintendo's looking for a million seller with this game. 2 million would be optimistic.

Wonder how much the bundle will contribute. Its golden week so Im hoping the game can get 100-200k first week

did you pull those Xenoblade figures from chartz? LMAO

edit: 200k first week ayy

K-A-Deman

Yes but look at that Nopon armor though!

img_online05_04.jpg

This means a Nopon can join your party as a fighting member? Yay. :D
With the multiple optional characters that can join it would make sense for there to be a Nopon since they live on the planet, but I hadn't seen any confirmation or proof.

Nopons with guns confirmed?

I just have a thing against "Exclusive Character DLC". I don't really care about quests or the skells.

...So new Skells are less substancial than characters? Huh.

I dont think that the space is any hurdle. If it was just that, they could have offered the DLC for free, or used two discs instead. Its just a business decision.

I wonder why they will delay it for 10 days. Its basically the same thing as "day 1". The content is most likely already created and finished. Maybe to keep people from trading the game in.

Maybe because the content isn't really ready yet? ready to be shown, but not ready to be distributed?

Seems like they can make better faces, you just gotta pay for it.

Where are you seeing that exactly?

OT: Content looks pretty good, curious to see what this 'multi' weapon is like and how it would be explained in-universe or not.

Chaos17

I don't really care about that DLC because the game is already enough as it is and we've already plenty companions.

img_info_20150428-05mvoo3.jpg

They improved the quality of the faces :D

Peltz

Will buy the DLC in a heartbeat, really. I don't even know whether or not I'll ever have enough time to fully explore Xenoblade X, but I feel like it's a miracle that Monolith got to develop a new game with this scale in the first place, despite Xenoblade's rather weak sales. So, I'm going to do everything to support this title. If it means paying an additional 20$, whatever, sure.

Xenoblade's sales are really not attributable specifically to Monolith Soft in my humble opinion. They're more due to Nintendo's overall failings. I'm saying this as a huge Nintendo fanboy... they really didn't provide an environment that was conducive for the first game's to succeed. Luckily, it appears that in NA, the game sold out of its small shipment, and that appeared to be enough to give Nintendo enough faith to greenlight Xenoblade X.

We don't even know the story these 4 characters brings. That's what I'm interested in. Are their stories going to help build and expand the lore of Xenoblade or are they personal stories just related to the world their in?

Reading threw this thread is... something... instead of speculating or talking about the actual DLC it's turning into an other personal believe(?)/ opinion about general DLC type thread.

I wish we had an OT where everyone can argue back and forth about dlc standards/price/opinions in steady of bringing it in every dlc thread.

rhandino

Banned
DLC!? SEASON PASS!?

I was waiting for this, glad that they are supporting the game post-launch =D

Now Nintendo, just tell me how much you want me to pay for a new continent? more clothing options? or a Mechonis Skell?

K-A-Deman

I don't really care about that DLC because the game is already enough as it is and we've already plenty companions.

img_info_20150428-05mvoo3.jpg

They improved the quality of the faces :D

So if I'm reading this right, we get nearly-Clark Kent, kinda-Squall, almost-Chie, and sorta-Bruce Willis for DLC?

...I'm totally okay with that.

Neiteio

Crossposting from the other thread:
It's not "Day 1 DLC". The game releases on 29.04 and the DLC will be available from 08.05.

Edit:
It's May, not August.
That means its development still coincided with that of the base game, though.

However, I'm fine with what is effectively Day 1 DLC. DLC still needs to be budgeted, so if this is the way they were able to justify making more content, so be it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
When you have day 1 (or week-out, same shit) DLC in this circumstance, and at the same time have Iwata and Sakurai talking passionately about how they didn't begin work on their DLC until after the game had shipped for Mario Kart 8 and SSB4, about how key it is that consumers not think you're just cutting content from the base game to sell later, you start to understand the difference between "Nintendo" Nintendo, and Nintendo's wholly-owned-subsidiaries. Monolith Soft ain't beholden to Nintendo's same core philosophies, it would seem. Shame.

Shirke

The name of the DLC dolls are Policeman, Excavator and Yumbo according to the wiki, tied to HB, Boze and Aksena's quest lines respectively. The multi-weapon is tied to Ierv's quest line.

Any value arguments are always tough when the content is so near launch so it becomes "it should be part of the base game".

As for it coming out about a week later. Clearly they want people to have some level ups behind them for tackling the content.

If anyone isn't familiar with RPGs these days from the post Duckroll made it sounds like this kind of content is what RPG DLC has become rather than new area expansion packs. You can charge a similar price at a lower risk and it takes less time to make (hence the content nearer launch here). The drawback is it less interesting as a result.

What was he right about?
Nintendo gets given a free pass for doing things (
like depriving him of income unless he handed copyright of his video over and got it approved as part of the NCP or instead actually got the MCN he is signed up to do their job
). I think he blamed vocal fanboys too.

You could use Mass Effect 3 as an example here (that had huge backlash but in a way the mood was bad for the game already so anything would be an attack) as this backlash is bound to be more muted but that is missing the context with is now many RPGs since have done paid DLC sidequests as it is easy to make.

oakenhild

jRPG is my favorite genre, and I want to support it in every way possible. I will buy all these DLC packs.

I'm OK with buying DLC for this game. I usually don't buy it, but I do like to support developers such as Monolith Soft. It's still surprising to me that Nintendo green-lighted a game of this scale again.

Nintendo has done DLC right by my book thus far (MK8 post-launch support has been very welcome), so until they make some mis-steps, I'll trust that there will be enough content for the price.

Chaos17

When you have day 1 (or week-out, same shit) DLC in this circumstance, and at the same time have Iwata and Sakurai talking passionately about how they didn't begin work on their DLC until after the game had shipped for Mario Kart 8 and SSB4, about how key it is that consumers not think you're just cutting content from the base game to sell later, you start to understand the difference between "Nintendo" Nintendo, and Nintendo's wholly-owned-subsidiaries. Monolith Soft ain't beholden to Nintendo's same core philosophies, it would seem. Shame.

I wonder if Nintendo should force their collaborators to follow only their lead about the marketting so we could avoid this kind of situation.
I hope this DLC will offer good content because MK8 and Hyrule Warrior did a good job offering hours of content.
That would be sad of that DLC don't follow that phylosophy.

moolamb

Well well well...

They offer you some optional, unremarkable bonus content...

You call them out for skellduggery...

For those who can't wrap their heads around the fact that this is additional content behind a paywall, not content cut out from the main game behind a paywall, I suggest you make your life easier by changing your perspective. Because the logic is a little crazy to me.

I give you a cheeseburger for $3. You can add an extra pattie for another $1. Don't scream at me for taking away content from the cheeseburger because cheeseburgers should have two patties damnit!

Well, Monolith are giving you 9 freaking tasty hunks of steak. They didn't take 4 away from your 12-steak meal. Your meal is 9 steaks. Eat it and love it. Buy 4 more if you're still hungry you fatty.

Some people are just so hard to satisfy. If you don't like it then just don't buy it.

That means its development still coincided with that of the base game, though.

However, I'm fine with what is effectively Day 1 DLC. DLC still needs to be budgeted, so if this is the way they were able to justify making more content, so be it.

Spoiler: All DLC within a year of release coincided with development in some way or another, most planned from the getgo.

Nintendo's thing about "We only wait until the game is done before we even consider DLC!" is a lie.

oakenhild

I wonder if Nintendo should force their collaborators to follow only their lead about the marketting so we could avoid this kind of situation.

How do we know it isn't Nintendo encouraging this DLC to recoup their investment and increase profits from publishing the game? I'm sure they're banking on the fact that the DLC purchase rate percentages will be very high for this game due to the dedicated fan base of xenoblade.

Chaos17

Nintendo has done DLC right by my book thus far (MK8 post-launch support has been very welcome), so until they make some mis-steps, I'll trust that there will be enough content for the price.
Nintendo didn't made the content so we don't know if that DLC content will be the same as MK8 quality. So, I do have fear about this.

I trust Nintendo but Monolith Sot work isn't Nintendo.
Yes, even if they bought it, Nintendo is respecting their free will.

Somnid

DLC sounds really meh. It mostly just feels unnecessary in a game this big to add some piecemeal quests. I expect to be pretty burned out by the time I get to the end, let alone what it would take to 100% the base content. But, this sounds good for possible future development. I'd love to have a long tail on this like Mario Kart and Smash that I can come back to in a year.

xaszatm

Banned
Why do I get the feeling that we've reached a point where we criticize things because they are things people criticized before without realizing why they were criticized? Because that's what I'm feeling here. Day 1 DLC is not bad by default. Has it been horribly abused by companies in the past? Yes. Day 1 DLC is associated with gutted out content (like Asura's Wrath or FFXIII-2) because companies gutted out the content, NOT because it was day 1 DLC. I'm failing to see how any of what has been announced is gutted out content here. The game clearly has more than enough content to justify its price point. The only question on this DLC should be whether you feel whether or not the cost justifies the DLC.

Chaos17

How do we know it isn't Nintendo encouraging this DLC to recoup their investment and increase profits from publishing the game? I'm sure they're banking on the fact that the DLC purchase rate percentages will be very high for this game due to the dedicated fan base of xenoblade.

Mario Kart 8 DLCs is a good proof of what Nintendo want to offer us, for me (Directly from Nintendo)
But we will never know the truth and could only speculate of how Nintento works with their collaborators.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Spoiler: All DLC within a year of release coincided with development in some way or another, most planned from the getgo.

Nintendo's thing about "We only wait until the game is done before we even consider DLC!" is a lie.

It's not about not "considering" DLC, it's about when you actually make more than just the hooks for one day adding it. There's a reason MK8 and SSB4 took months and months for their first packs to come out.

Chaos17

It's not about not "considering" DLC, it's about when you actually make more than just the hooks for one day adding it. There's a reason MK8 and SSB4 took months and months for their first packs to come out.

But people get amnesia when it's convenient for them just like in Witcher 3 case.
They jumped to the same conclusion (as the guy you quoted) when they announced futur expansions for the game.

Me and other people facepalmed.

Nintendo's always been adamant that they don't even think about DLC until after the main game is done. This is to assure people that they're not ripping them off by removing stuff from the main game.

Anyone who knows how video game development works knows that, in most situations, DLC is not content ripped from the main game. There are some shitty situations where it is, but it's usually planned and worked on alongside the main game with no intention for it to ship when the game goes gold a month before release date.

Nintendo should stop pretending this isn't the case, because DLC planned and worked on alongside the game is generally A) better and B) faster and it's not content we would have just gotten "for free" otherwise. Their current stance reassures only naive people.

Ridley327

Nintendo's always been adamant that they don't even think about DLC until after the main game is done. This is to assure people that they're not ripping them off by removing stuff from the main game.

Anyone who knows how video game development works knows that, in most situations, DLC is not content ripped from the main game. There are some shitty situations where it is, but it's usually planned and worked on alongside the main game with no intention for it to ship when the game goes gold a month before release date.

Nintendo should stop pretending this isn't the case, because DLC planned and worked on alongside the game is generally A) better and B) faster and it's not content we would have just gotten "for free" otherwise. Their current stance reassures only naive people.

It was weird to see such joy over them getting the MK8 DLC2 out a month earlier than they originally stated, since my perspective was "so, it's 5 months later rather than 6 months later." That's still an awfully long time.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Got a source for this? I do not recall any claims regarding "no thinking" about DLC. Anyone with half a brain knows the hooks are put in there. I've always read their stance as "we will not make a game, pull out content, then sell that content later for more money." They will continue to develop content after the game is released and complete, and then sell THAT for more money. It's not like they're saying they have a "DLC thoughts" alarm that goes off when any piddling staff mook dares consider post-release content during the course of development.

Looks like you have no evidence here beyond "everyone does it, you're naive if you think they don't." Which isn't really a stance worth debating.

Neiteio

Got a source for this? I do not recall any claims regarding "no thinking" about DLC. Anyone with half a brain knows the hooks are put in there. I've always read their stance as "we will not make a game, pull out content, then sell that content later for more money." They will continue to develop content after the game is released and complete, and then sell THAT for more money. It's not like they're saying they have a "DLC thoughts" alarm that goes off when any piddling staff mook dares consider post-release content during the course of the game.
I just want to chime in that I love the phrase "piddling staff mook," lol

espher

I'm outraged that extra cheese costs extra.

They clearly added it to the pizza at the same time they prepared the rest of it.

In all seriousness, not sure if I'll buy this if it comes out in NA at a relatively equivalent price point. I'll have to see how much it seems to actually add to the game.

Parshias7

Wait "online" mode? This game has online MMO-like quests?

You can join an online squad of up to 32 players. You can send global messages out to your squad about item locations, or really whatever you want, and if these messages are upvoted enough, they can be sent out to the larger player base outside of your squad. You can also share collectible items and monster drops with people in your squad if you don't need them. There are also "Squad Quests" which ask your squad to kill a certain type and number of monsters, find a certain collectible, etc. These quests are timed and progress is shared across everyone in the squad, and if it is completed, everyone gets a reward regardless of participation. These quests can sometimes reward a boss quest, which can be played with your squad buddies online. The boss fight seems to be the only part of the online where you are directly connected to another player.

You can also recruit the custom characters of other players to use in your in game team if you want.

oakenhild

You can join an online squad of up to 32 players. You can send global messages out to your squad about item locations, or really whatever you want, and if these messages are upvoted enough, they can be sent out to the larger player base outside of your squad. You can also share collectible items and monster drops with people in your squad if you don't need them. There are also "Squad Quests" which ask your squad to kill a certain type and number of monsters, find a certain collectible, etc. These quests are timed and progress is shared across everyone in the squad, and if it is completed, everyone gets a reward regardless of participation. These quests can sometimes reward a boss quest, which can be played with your squad buddies online. The boss fight seems to be the only part of the online where you are directly connected to another player.

You can also recruit the custom characters of other players to use in your in game team if you want.

Can you only quest online with the 32 people in your squad, or can you quest with randoms too? Basically, is there a quest finder like the poster above mentions?

Top Bottom