• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

zlCfzTTMtjkhJoZyts

It does seem like that face is the winner for the male designs. The bottom two would be workable if you could adjust the size of the chin I think.

chadboban

Miiverse stuff:

zlCfzTTlFKUMbI84oP

zlCfzTTlFJQXqF5KQx

Why u ruin the shot no home icon?
zlCfzTTk1SIMI6c5f6

Weeeeeeeeeeee
zlCfzTTkwUoGPy70_C

zlCfzTTktGYAtUQ3Y7

LOVE THIS ONE!!!
zlCfzTTkkhU5I0IXKA

From compressionville...I mean twitter:

This person's character looks cool
CD8wUv_UEAAeiNr.jpg:orig

CD9Q-rqUgAAKK2n.jpg:orig

CD8cWWMUgAANEEA.jpg:orig

CD8byfrUEAAUsIm.jpg:orig

CD8M0KUVAAM3lxj.jpg:orig

CD7wflqUEAAym_O.jpg:orig

CD7ofhMVIAAN_M0.jpg:orig

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there a way to add named NPCs to your party without going to where they're standing every time?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but don't expect the 4 player multiplayer quests to blow your mind. The non-boss ones last for a few minutes and are just a simple "kill X monsters" things. The world bosses are something else, but don't expect the game to last for months just because of the online stuff if you've already cleared everything else.

I'm not complaining, because those are a fun addition, but I got the impression that some people are expecting something that adds to the experience in a huge way.

Vena

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but don't expect the 4 player multiplayer quests to blow your mind. The non-boss ones last for a few minutes and are just a simple "kill X monsters" things. The world bosses are something else, but don't expect the game to last for months just because of the online stuff if you've already cleared everything else.

I'm not complaining, because those are a fun addition, but I got the impression that some people are expecting something that adds to the experience in a huge way.

Not sure I got that impression.

I think people are just excited for the world-raid bosses as a cool little feature for "end game". I mean, this sort of soft online interactivity doesn't tend to survive for long unless PvP gets involved (Souls series, for example) but there'll always be someone or other to squad with.

oakenhild

Good to know. Can now keep my expectations in check. Was definitely hoping for more though.

vareon

I don't want to watch the streams so I wanted to ask..is NLA and the other world separated by a loading screen? Can you fly around the mech in Primordia and then drop straight to NLA?

First a heads up; I haven't read many of the other posts in this thread in case of spoilers. After some FedEx problems delivering my package, I decided to download the game. I'm 3 hours in at present and have signed up for my Union (I picked Pathfinder).
shots-from-my-first-3-hours-playing-xenoblade
. I am still very early, so these are just basic/shallow, but here's some impressions.

Impressions

Avatar Creation: I kind of suspected it from E3, but the actual facial features of the player character are not very changeable. You pick a preset face and you're basically locked in to that combination of eye shape, nose shape, mouth, etc. Hairstyles also felt quite limited.
I kind of hope, but am doubtful, you can unlock more for later when you are apparently able to change your avatar's appearance at will.
You do have a lot of customization on top of that in the form of scars, paint, hair, colours for everything. I made someone I was happy with, but it would have been nice to have more customization here.

Control/Camera: I recently played the Wii version of Xenoblade a lot, so it's probably just that I'm used to that set-up, but the controls felt a little strange at first. Your character feels very light and almost too easy to move around, especially while using dash. Speaking of, dash and auto-run are great inclusions. For Xenoblade, I heard that the Western version had the run speed sped up, but playing the Japanese version felt too slow at times. Although the camera feels finicky, I do think you can alter the sensitivity in the options, but I haven't got around to that yet.
I only played with the Hopper Camera for a little bit, but I think it will be quite useful.

World/Story/Characters: The world feels massive. I think I got lost just in the B.L.A.D.E. area and I have yet to really explore NLA or any of the surrounds. I could have, because the game doesn't force you to the next story point, just guides you, but I've chosen so far to stick pretty closely with where the story wants me to be. After 3 hours, I've really only
just been accepted into B.L.A.D.E
., but you could make it to that point quicker if you skipped story scenes or didn't do any exploring at all.

I like the characters so far, too. Lyn is a little annoying, but she's also 13 and I find most 13 year olds to be annoying. The dialogue/interactions have some play to them, but so far it's a lot of exposition/being sad about Earth/dry military banter (all to be expected, I suppose).

My affinity chart already has in excess of 30 people on it and I've really only explored the BLADE area, too. I'm wondering just how big and complex this thing can get.

The silence of your character in story scenes is noticeable, but the game does prompt you pretty regularly to 'select' your response to a given situation, but (obviously) I don't know how much the responses vary.

Mira, on the whole, is quite beautiful, too. I could see myself getting lost there, just defeating enemies and doing quests. I do appreciate that there is an enemy encyclopedia, something I thought was lacking in Xenoblade. It gives you pertinent information on the enemies, including how many you've defeated and been defeated by, what materials they drop, where they appear, their levels, and given experience points. My only complaint is that you can't remove that information and just look at the model (while you can do this with the player characters).

There is quite a bit of pop-in/visible LOD changes, though. It doesn't personally bother me that much, but I know it does to some people. I haven't noticed any texture streaming issues, though (probably the major benefit of the digital version). Load times are pretty good, too - most being a few seconds at most. The longest load time is switching from the closed environment of the B.L.A.D.E Home are back to the open world - maybe around 10 seconds at most.

Systems/Battle: You're just sort of thrown in the deep end at first, which is nice, although a tad intimidating
Although I'm starting to get some explanations of systems that have been available to me since the start, like upgrading arts
. I haven't really played around too much with the custom stuff and haven't really touched Soul Voice at all, though. At the very heart, this is Xenoblade's battle system, though, so it should be easy enough for most people to adapt to. I like that treasure drops are automatic now, although I find myself running toward a fallen enemy to grab the chest after battle like I did in the previous game.

Equipment is easy enough to manage and you can indeed go shirtless/in your underwear if you so desire. It's nice to have an 'Equip Strongest Gear' option, which basically seems to give you the highest possible stats based on the gear you have.

Music: Finally, music; I have found that it works for me in the context of the game so far. I usually don't pay much attention to music in games so I'm probably the worst person to ask, but it's not as on the nose as I thought it might be. It will probably still be quite a decisive soundtrack for the majority.

Avatar Creation: I kind of suspected it from E3, but the actual facial features of the player character are not very changeable. You pick a preset face and you're basically locked in to that combination of eye shape, nose shape, mouth, etc. Hairstyles also felt quite limited.
I kind of hope, but am doubtful, you can unlock more for later when you are apparently able to change your avatar's appearance at will.
You do have a lot of customization on top of that in the form of scars, paint, hair, colours for everything. I made someone I was happy with, but it would have been nice to have more customization here.

That's definitely the best male face from what I've seen and the one I'll be using more than likely. Might not use that hair, but not sure what all options we have for that.

Sigh, I need this game in my life right now. :( I just beat Type 0 and was pretty disappointed by it, so I really want this game even more now!

putarorex

I bought this since I have been really enjoying the 3DS game.

I've only put about 4 hours into the game. So far I like the overworld and the mob variety. The combat has gotten better as I have gotten used to the different arts and got a better understanding of responding to party member call outs. I haven't done many quests or made much progress in the main story, but I am not really a fan of the silent protaganist. I also don't like Lyn or the comic relief alien (can't remember the name--Tatsu?), but I think that is just because I'm tired of anime tropes. The story in 3DS Xenoblade game had me early on; this one not so much.

The graphics are pretty impressive with some great vistas, but I do get an insane amount of pop-in of NPCs and other things in NLA. You get NPCs popping in right front of you when you are running through the city.

I plan on playing the game as much as I can during the Golden Week break, but I may have to play on the pad since my Wii U is hooked up to the family room TV and the wife and daughter need their daily dose of Korean dramas and inane variety shows. I'd much rather play it on the big screen because of the graphics and small text (it can be hard to read 12+-stroke Kanji).

Zero²

First a heads up; I haven't read many of the other posts in this thread in case of spoilers. After some FedEx problems delivering my package, I decided to download the game. I'm 3 hours in at present and have signed up for my Union (I picked Pathfinder).
Thanks for the impressions Streets, I'm hoping you are really feeling it ^^
Btw about the spoilers, this thread is pretty much OK, there might be some spoilers but its always correctly tagged and warned. And the screenshots are almost all from the starter area, to avoid spoiling other environments to people.
Be sure to look into every nook and cranny! From the streams I saw, there is always a something to be seen and found.

Vena

You know, its a bit weird to have people coming back with impressions both praising and critical, rather than just fangasms over a title or mindless prerelease hype *cougbbcough*, lol. Good to see that even level headed folks and expectations are saying good things.

The graphics are pretty impressive with some great vistas, but I do get an insane amount of pop-in of NPCs and other things in NLA. You get NPCs popping in right front of you when you are running through the city.

Curious, are you on download or the disc (with or without the download)?

chadboban

Last round of twitter shots before bed. I'll probably be slowing down posting pics I find since most players will be moving on to new areas in the next couple of days and I don't want to post pics from beyond Primordia since people want to keep those as surprises.

"Bitch please"
CD-HXYiUUAInqZr.jpg:orig

CD-SNCGUsAAFoJ0.jpg:orig

CD-TedHVAAA0mFX.jpg:orig

CD-UXH-UgAAf2LR.jpg:orig

CD-eibfUMAAk1bS.jpg:orig

CD-aoXqUsAAF6Y2.jpg:orig

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It might be hard to tell what's going on in this screenshot, but camera sometimes switches to cockpit view when you're fighting in a Doll:
I've yet to figure out what triggers this.

Top Bottom