• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You can buy all (?) enemy drops with union/squad reward tickets at the union/squad counter in Blade home.
Everyone should know this - helps immensely in quests where you don't get the indicator and haven't seen the monster yet.

Overside

Banned
Its seamless?
Certain cutscenes will give you loads. BLADE is instanced.

This doesnt really make sense. Instancing is using the same asset multiple times to fill an area with assets without burning up draw calls.

Small rocks are instanced, several tree models are instanced, fauna is instanced, enemy herds are instanced.

Blade is the only seperate area in the entire game that requires a loading screen. Doesnt really have anything to do with instancing.

This will get 8-10s in the western reviews. It will range from the Famitsu spread, 8's and 9's, to the Dengeki review which was so alight that if it you put it in a dark room it wouldn't be dark anymore.

It will lose points for its PS2 tier graphics, Judeo-Christian symbolism, and the WiiU's limited hard-drive space leading to terrible load times and PS1 era texture quality.

Ps2 tier? Where is a ps2 game that has graphics like this?

Its a joke from a previous console war bait thread.

... okay... I was like... the game must look way different from what the screenshots and trailers so far indicate.. Xenoblade itself looked far beyond anything on PS2 (although the texture work and the character models were kinda meh) so that would be a significant step back, if true.

kubus

I'm really not that far yet (just finished my first BLADE mission and chose an Union) but maaan I'm really loving feeling this game so far. Can't wait to play more but the gamepad battery was depleted :(. Maybe that's a good thing though as I should really start preparing dinner and otherwise I would've kept playing :p

Maybe this was already known by everyone but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the character creator has the option to save multiple profiles. So you can completely finish creating one character, save it, and then start over from scratch if you're interested in seeing what you can make with the other face presets. You can always load up your previous creation again whenever you want :). I made three characters total and then simply chose the one I liked best.

It's still a bit early for gameplay impressions from me, so I'll do that later when I'm done with all the tutorial-ish stuff.

Some screenshots (sorry about the twitter quality):

4boVr5Q.jpg

My character :D Pretty happy with how she turned out. Like the MC of a Gundam anime :p

1f1kL2q.jpg

xzaHJQI.jpg

Even on the gamepad this game is so beautiful. I can't believe this game is on the Wii U.

FiraB

Banned
Man I shouldn't have open this thread, I knew it would just make the wait harder and now I'm damn tempted to import a JPN Wii-U Bundle to play it...

Did anyone order through amazon.co.jp? Did the ship internationally without effort?

Overside

Banned
Hot damn at these screens.

A monument to design ineffeciency.... In the best way possible.

This game is a potent reminder that no matter how convenient pro-gen methods are, they will never measure up to hard design.

Ever.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh my god there's no collision detection between your party and moving cars in NLA. They don't react at all, it seems. That's surprising.

Some people say its because its to avoid collision problems with the mechas and the cars(mechas tower over cars but this isnt a GTA game where you run over and crush cars and etc. and having the mech just stop in its tracks just because of a car is kinda bullshit so just make them have no hit detection)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm really not that far yet (just finished my first BLADE mission and chose an Union) but maaan I'm really loving feeling this game so far. Can't wait to play more but the gamepad battery was depleted :(. Maybe that's a good thing though as I should really start preparing dinner and otherwise I would've kept playing :p

Maybe this was already known by everyone but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the character creator has the option to save multiple profiles. So you can completely finish creating one character, save it, and then start over from scratch if you're interested in seeing what you can make with the other face presets. You can always load up your previous creation again whenever you want :). I made three characters total and then simply chose the one I liked best.

It's still a bit early for gameplay impressions from me, so I'll do that later when I'm done with all the tutorial-ish stuff.

Some screenshots (sorry about the twitter quality):

I really like the way your female avatar looks.

Overside

Banned
Some people say its because its to avoid collision problems with the mechas and the cars(mechas tower over cars but this isnt a GTA game where you run over and crush cars and etc. and having the mech just stop in its tracks just because of a car is kinda bullshit so just make them have no hit detection)

Yeah, they're saying that.

But thats something that could easily be applied to just the mechs.

My guts on a 'whoopsie, forgot to switch that back on and it made it all the way through!'

Really rather inconsequential anyways. May or may not be fixed via patch or localization, if they see it and care enough.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Some really nice avatars on the last pages. And it seems that you can create nicely looking female characters too, at list Kubus' ones look great.

TheMoon

It might be hard to tell what's going on in this screenshot, but camera sometimes switches to cockpit view when you're fighting in a Doll:

I've yet to figure out what triggers this.

Nothing triggers it. It's confirmed to be random.

This was actually not mentioned yet (or I missed it). Sounds like a great feature!

Man I shouldn't have open this thread, I knew it would just make the wait harder and now I'm damn tempted to import a JPN Wii-U Bundle to play it...

Did anyone order through amazon.co.jp? Did the ship internationally without effort?

No, you need to go through a proxy company. Amazon JP does not ship internationally.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So has it been confirmed that New LA acts as a hub you return to for the entire game?

My first time with the game on release date was a bit of a mess because I thought that not completing the simple quests was a horrible thing to do (OCD much?).

But now I'm in the groove. I won't worry too much about simple quests and instead track down every and any normal quests and kizuna quests I can between story missions.

I hope that quests, regardless of their nature, don't expire after you reach set points in the story and that you're able to trigger and complete them whenever, even post game.

I'm between chapters 4 and 5 and I've just fought
Getia I think she was called, the alien chick from the directs.
I liked her battle but it was a follow-up one so I started with pretty much no health the first time.

Tonight I'll do as much questing I can before starting chapter 5 proper.

kubus

IDK why but Kubus your choice reminds me of Shion from Xenosaga.
I really like the way your female avatar looks.
Some really nice avatars on the last pages. And it seems that you can create nicely looking female characters too, at list Kubus' ones look great.
Thanks (?) everyone :). Yeah thankfully the female presets aren't only moe blobs (though they're definitely there... including the horrible highpitched voices *shiver*) and the available hairstyles are for the most part pretty nice.

Btw I had to look up Shion (haven't played Xenosaga.. yet) and I guess I can see a resemblance in the eyes! ^^

Just to give another example of how a female avatar could look, this was my 2nd choice:

CD-nnvhUsAA78iL.jpg:large

This was actually not mentioned yet (or I missed it). Sounds like a great feature!
Oh, great ^^. Yeah it is a great feature, and something I wish more games would implement.

In case anyone wants to know where to find this option: you press X in the character creator and choose the first option from the menu that pops up. Then in the next menu, the top option is Save, and the second is Load.

Ahh bugger, thanks for the answer.

Will look up postage options that cover new zealand.
Tenso is my go-to proxy for anything I import from Japan. Their site works great and they're usually very fast. Fees/shipping costs are pretty reasonable as well.

Keep in mind though that the bundle is currently sold out on amazon.co.jp. You can still buy it, but through scalpers resellers. I was able to buy a bundle at MSRP a day before the release date because some stock was freed up, but I haven't seen it come back into stock since then. For your information, the price at which I bought it was 37,800 yen. It's 48,350 yen now through the resellers, so that's a pretty huge mark up. Though it seems to be sold out pretty much everywhere so you might not have a choice if you really want it :(

Finally got to 30, and got Lyn and Elma up there too. I like the ranged weapons I have on my Lailah, though it's kind of wonky in motorcycle mode. Gave Doug the pink Urban, and bought a Wels/Mastema for Elma/Lyn. Named them BusterWolf and Tatsutron. I'm sure they look ridiculous.

Also jumped around the first three continents a bunch, and managed to hop my way up to the top of this.
Couldn't get to the floating island way in the north though :(. I jumped onto two floating rocks below it, but none of the others were close enough. Seems like it'll be impossible to reach until I can fly, like the shoulder thing and giant flower place...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Where do I go to join the gaf squad
You open the friend list from the in game menu and join one of the their squads. Those aren't mmo guilds, squads are random groups which people join and leave all the time.

LProtag

Man, I really want this game to come out soon in the US. I'm getting excited reading all of these impressions and watching some streams.

Seik

Banned
I know this is off topic, but I'll say it anyway. :)

Thank you guys for recommending me Xenogears, I just don't know why I wasn't playing it during all this time, I had it sitting on my shelf for more than 2 years. What a mistake that was.

Still progressing, but I'm loving the characters so far, the story seems to have its shitload of mysteries as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm so glad I switched from assault to forcer. Blast fencer is so much fun. Can't wait for galaxy knight.

I know this is off topic, but I'll say it anyway. :)

Thank you guys for recommending me Xenogears, I just don't know why I wasn't playing it during all this time, I had it sitting on my shelf for more than 2 years. What a mistake that was.

Still progressing, but I'm loving the characters so far, the story seems to have its shitload of mysteries as well.

IMO, Xenogears still has the best story in a game. It blew my mind when I was younger. Hell, I don't even think I fully understood it until a later playthrough, lol.

Haunted

Shit characters aside, that looks fantastic.

I also kinda like the premise, it's less convoluted and messy than the usual fare.

Raide

Oh my god there's no collision detection between your party and moving cars in NLA. They don't react at all, it seems. That's surprising.

Yeah, seems like a missed opportunity to get your Doll and then charge damages to NLA and Civilians and take it off your pay when you join a company. Seems really weird to see cars just driving through. The rest of the world is so detailed but NLA just looks rushed and lifeless.

Lilo_D

Yeah, seems like a missed opportunity to get your Doll and then charge damages to NLA and Civilians and take it off your pay when you join a company. Seems really weird to see cars just driving through. The rest of the world is so detailed but NLA just looks rushed and lifeless.

I think that's the hardware limit

They wouldn't do the damage charge thing even if it's technically possible. I mean what the point of adding new system to punish players after they added the "insurance on insurance" system ?

Zero²

They wouldn't do the damage charge thing even if it's technically possible. I mean what the point of adding new system to punish players after they added the "insurance on insurance" system ?
And I think that it would cause unnecessary trouble of people hitting cars by accident because of pop-in.

Raide

I dunno, maybe make it feel like you have an actual job in NLA that not just garbage collector. They make you work for your Doll and then charge you for crashing it too many times. Why even add insurance if not to make it feel like you have to pay to mess up?

Minor thing, game looks good so far and I cannot wait to see it released in 2016. :(

Any online gameplay streams around?

Alright, I do like that the game shows you how many other players defeated vs. were defeated by an Overed in the Enemy Encyclopedia. Makes me feel a tad better about my skills.

Zero²

It seems someone ripped a lot of songs from the game... if you guys wanna a link, just PM me.
I'd post a link, but Sawano songs are really heavy copyrighted, so I think it's better go with precaution :p If you guys think its ok, just tell me.
There is a lot of songs, including the amazing cave theme! :D
Alright, I do like that the game shows you how many other players defeated vs. were defeated by an Overed in the Enemy Encyclopedia. Makes me feel a tad better about my skills.
Even World Enemies too? Or they arent considered Overeds?

random25

Zero²;162451957 said:
It seems someone ripped a lot of songs from the game... But only posted like 24 songs so far, if you guys wanna a link, just PM me.
I'd post a link, but Sawano songs are really heavy copyrighted, so I think it's better go with precaution :p If you guys think its ok, just tell me.
There is a lot of songs, including the amazing cave theme! :D

Gimme the links if that's alright :)

Seik

Banned
IMO, Xenogears still has the best story in a game. It blew my mind when I was younger. Hell, I don't even think I fully understood it until a later playthrough, lol.

A friend that came by my place yesterday told me about Perfect Work and the story of the team with Square/Namco.

I'll probably read the translation when I'll be done with the game.

Top Bottom