• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo gives CEO Marissa Mayer severance package worth $55M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

There's been little light for Yahoo in the time Marissa Mayer has been at its helm. The company is trapped in a spiral of declining revenues, and in February it said that its core assets are up for sale.

On Friday, the company disclosed the packages that will be available to key executives if they are ousted in the event of a sale. Mayer will be paid $54.8 million in cash and stock if she's removed from her job within a year of a sale.

The fact that Yahoo's financial situation has gotten worse during Mayer's tenure will make her pay package a controversial issue. Yahoo shares dropped 34 percent in 2015, while Mayer made $14 million. (She would have earned nearly $36 million if shares had risen.)

IpJfHLi.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/05/yahoo-gives-ceo-marissa-mayer-severance-package-worth-55m/

$55m for being a complete incompetent. What a world.

_woLf

It never ceases to amaze me how CEOs are paid millions of dollars when they're fired. Gotta love backwards-ass corporate America.

"Thanks for ruining us, here have some more money!"

Don Mattrick has mastered this art.

sarcastor

Marissa Myer tenure was doomed from the start, I think. Not a lot she really could have done.

Well she shouldn't have bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion dollars.

Yahoo is sinking ship, like Nokia, Blackberry, Radio Shack, etc.

btw how is AOL still around? wtf?

Chichikov

Marissa Myer tenure was doomed from the start, I think. Not a lot she really could have done.
If true (and I tend to think it probably is) that makes the compensation package that she got even more ridiculous.
But executive compensation in the US in general has been really divorced from the value those people bring the company in general.

element

Fail Up. Happens all the time in tech.

Buying Tumblr was a terrible decision. Also the inability to pivot Flickr into anything was painful.

What is crazy is their investment in Alibaba and Yahoo Japan are worth 5 times what the core business is worth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, Yahoo was doomed anyways. It doesn't actually provide any services of value anymore.

Ya. She did a great job at Google.

Her tenure at Google was more or less luck. She was lucky enough to get in early and be at the right place at the right time.

She's been an absolute trainwreck at Yahoo. Her efforts at improving the brand have been scattershot at best, desperately flailing to find some gimmick that would raise Yahoo's profile. Perhaps the only worthy acquisition has been Tumblr, but that won't save them because she's made no effort to promote it or integrate it with Yahoo's other holdings, to say nothing of the fact that the core ad business continues to be an absolute mess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how Yahoo went from trying to be some kind of "internet frontpage" to just being a straight-up clickbait fodder.

Cyan

Banned
Oh, I read the title as meaning she'd been fired. So she hasn't been fired, but if/when she is she'll get a big bundle o' cash. Huh.

element

Perhaps the only worthy acquisition has been Snapchat, but that won't save them because she's made no effort to promote it or integrate it with Yahoo's other holdings
Yahoo doesn't own Snapchat...

Oh, I read the title as meaning she'd been fired. So she hasn't been fired, but if/when she is she'll get a big bundle o' cash. Huh.
Yahoo has been highly rumored to be acquired for almost a year now. This pretty much seals the deal that if a sale can be worked out that she will resign upon an agreement. It is GTFO money.

I'm honestly scratching my head wondering what Yahoo is good for anymore. I know Yahoo News somehow makes it as the homepage of the Internet Explorer of every person over the age of 40, so I guess that's their main source of income.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yahoo? What's that?

Seriously, besides MAYBE their stocks and Tumblr, how are they relevant?
Is assume Yahoo mail is still relatively popular.

My dad and other dinosaurs still use it because that's just what they're used to at this point.

dabig2

Pretty much. I remember the thread here when she was first unveiled as the new ceo. I think it was agreed that she was captain of a doomed ship. Though that doesn't absolve her from some truly dumb decisions on her part in trying to salvage the ship.

Log4Girlz

Median income in the US is close to 50k a year

If you started working in the year 916 making 50k a year you would finally earn by today what she'll make in that severance package.

element

Is assume Yahoo mail is still relatively popular.
They have somewhere between 300m and 400m registered users. I know I haven't used my yahoo account in a decade, but I'm sure there are TONS of people who still do.

I was just reading about her the other day. She put in 130 hour work weeks at Google, and would sleep under her desk, so at least her work ethic wasn't part of the issue. I really do think she tried her best, it just seems like she/Yahoo was doomed to fail. 55 mil does seem like a ridiculous severance package though.

Yahoo doesn't own Snapchat...

*Tumblr

I was just reading about her the other day. She put in 130 hour work weeks at Google, and would sleep under her desk, so at least her work ethic wasn't part of the issue. I really do think she tried her best, it just seems like she/Yahoo was doomed to fail. 55 mil does seem like a ridiculous severance package though.

Iirc, she had a reputation for missing or being late to meetings at Yahoo, so I wouldn't rule work ethic out of the question.

Nah, thats bullshit. While it would have been incredibly difficult to turn Yahoo around, it was possible at one point. Cut costs hard, fire middle management bureaucrats, pivot the business AWAY from ads/search/directory and into email, photos, mobile, tumblr, etc.

Instead Meyers was just a terrible, terrible, terrible CEO
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar...d-yahoo-ceo-mistakes-are-costly/#447354d56281
http://www.forbes.com/sites/miguelhelft/2015/11/19/the-last-days-of-marissa-mayer/#35b503ef6bff

Cutting work at home policy. Pivoting to TV (Community, hiring Katie Couric), encouraging turf wars internally, poor hiring (and firing) of some top execs, its just an endless list of poor decisions - like throwing a $7m dollar Christmas party in 2015 that literally was themed Great Gatsby, as they were in the middle of firing thousands.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/yahoo-had-a-party

Its easy to run a company that is doing well, you just listen to the smart people under you and keep the boat steady. But to turn around a company requires someone ruthless and deep understanding of financials, it was such a dumb, dumb decision to hire someone who only knew success.

Erevador

Sad that a vibrant site like Tumblr was bought out by this clueless, bloated dinosaur of a company. Karp should have held onto it, he could have sold it for another billion a couple years later.

daveo42

Banned
Man, I do well at my job and they cut our yearly pay increases. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Should I fail at my job and get fat stacks as severance?

vern

I like yahoo. I use their email as backup because gmail sucks in China. Their email app is actually pretty decent. Clean and straightforward and fast. I use Flickr for hosting my photos. Don't know why everyone hates on yahoo. They have some perfectly functional services and for me functional is good enough.

On topic: dat severance package 😍

Chichikov

I really wish that corporate America and the tech sector in particular stop treating workaholism like it's a good thing.

Though I will grant her that by all accounts she did good job at Google, she's not a Steve Ballmer type of CEO whose qualification is being friends with the right people.

I really wish that corporate America and the tech sector in particular stop treating workaholism like it's a good thing.

Though I will grant her that by all accounts she did good job at Google, she's not a Steve Ballmer type of CEO whose qualification is being friends with the right people.

Eh, Workaholism isn't a bad thing. If the person really gets through the day by putting in alot of work, even an excessive amount, than good for them. Granted I like my time off, but I can see why a person would put in alot of hours doing something they want to do.

Eh, Workaholism isn't a bad thing. If the person really gets through the day by putting in alot of work, even an excessive amount, than good for them. Granted I like my time off, but I can see why a person would put in alot of hours doing something they want to do.
Do they want to or did they because it was required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom