• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo gives CEO Marissa Mayer severance package worth $55M

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

Hey, at least she couldn't have us executed for lambasting her like 1000 years ago, right? The world has come a real long way since the Dark Ages, amirite

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hey, at least she couldn't have us executed for lambasting her like 1000 years ago, right? The world has come a real long way since the Dark Ages, amirite
We actually seem to be going backwards lately in many respects.

2MF

FYI, this is called a "Golden Parachute".

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goldenparachute.asp

It's generally done to prevent hostile takeovers. In Yahoo's current case, if another company buys Yahoo, they could end up keeping Mayer around to avoid paying the $55 mil. Alternatively, they may factor in the golden parachute when making the offer to buy Yahoo (i.e. Yahoo may be worth less knowing that Mayer gets $55 mil if she's ousted in the first year after the acquisition).

That sounds kind of reasonable (even if the amount does not), but then why does it also apply outside of a hostile takeover? It boggles the mind that Yahoo's CEO will be looking for someone to buy Yahoo out, and will get a big bonus if that buyer decides to fire her, IIUC.

Jenov

This is that lady that removed stay at home work while at the same time building some luxury nursery in her own office, right? lol

Incompetent people generally aren't able to negotiate $55mm severance packages.

Circular reasoning.

"Well, of course she's worth $55 million, someone was willing to pay her that."

Why is it we can look at the performance of professional athletes or coaches and plainly state "X is overpayed by Y compared to similarly performing replacement player/coach" with exhausting reams of stats, but with CEOs who make many times more and have their company performance judged quarterly, all of a sudden performance metrics are meaningless?

The Mule

Man, I used to use Yahoo's category based search all the time to find new sites, back when I first started using the Internet. It was a strange transition to using Google's keyword search at first.

I don't understand. She ran Yahoo to the ground and ruined Yahoo Screen. She changed remote work flexibility in a totally idiotic way by saying if people are in the office together more ideas will come. Well, I guess she realized that more ideas don't come when people don't want to be there.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
all she had to do was babysit the alibaba stock and check in on it every few hours she still managed to fuck it up

3N16MA

Banned
Why is her compensation in 2015 pretty much on par with Bob Iger? Under his watch Disney acquired Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. I understand that Disney shares didn't perform as well as expected and ESPN is shaky but the company is healthy. Yahoo shares stunk in 2015.

Buying Pixar brought Lasseter back to Disney and Iger put him in charge of both Pixar and Disney Animation Studios. Disney Animation is now a beast. Live action Disney films are making a killing at the box office.

Mayer should give money back to Yahoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom