• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo gives CEO Marissa Mayer severance package worth $55M

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

How do you even get contracts like that, do they have agents because who else comes up with that robbery or does Mayer say she wants this and they go umm yeah, I understand some of that, sign here.

RoyalFool

Banned
CEO pay in general is obscene, but that aside this doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. She gave up a good (and safe) position at Google to join a company which was, almost certainly, a sinking ship - so its little wonder she made sure she had a good 'get out of jail' card for it it went to the dogs.

Personally I think most of her decisions have been quite good ones, and her cultural changes have gone down quite well with the staffers I'm told. At this point her job is to keep the business running long enough to sell off it's key assets, which includes herself.

acksman

The Alibaba investment was the smartest thing Yahoo has done in years. That is one of the big things that kept them going.

KevinCow

Banned
Imagine if the average employees got massive severance packages like this when they fucked up at their job and got fired.

Anyway, I hope Yahoo doesn't go under. I have too many things tied to my Yahoo Mail account.

Kyzer

Banned
With a company as large as Yahoo they have to pay absurd amounts. When you're in high positions like that you're basically being bribed to not go start your own business, because you have all the knowledge and (ideally) the competence to do it well

Kyzer

Banned
Why? You could probably hire a random middle-manager and they wouldn't do a worse job.

Well I'm sure when they hired her they didn't think that she would be middle management material.

But basically you can't pay the person who controls everything and knows everything small amounts that would entice them to defect, start their own business, or join a competitor. Or just screw you over out of spite. In that sense business managers are kind of like artist management. You want them to really be hungry for success, so theyre given large cuts of the business, and to be proud of and eant to maintain their position, so that they represent you well.

2MF

Well I'm sure when they hired her they didn't think that she would be middle management material.

But basically you can't pay the person who controls everything and knows everything small amounts that would entice them to defect, start their own business, or join a competitor. Or just screw you over out of spite. In that sense business managers are kind of like artist management. You want them to really be hungry for success, so theyre given large cuts of the business, and to be proud of and eant to maintain their position, so that they represent you well.

This all sounds great, until you look at the fact that CEO pay is nowadays vastly higher than it was in the past, with (as far as I've seen) no good reason for it.

It's also way higher in the US than in other developed countries, which again I haven't seen a good justification for.

I'm seeing more and more stories of shareholders revolting and voting against CEO packages, so it seems that company owners are starting to agree with the above.

I wish I could be bad at a job and make millions while crashing the company

This kind of shit has to stop. Share holders or the boards of these companies (or both) need to start limiting these golden parachutes. It's insane to me that people lose their jobs and companies cut their work forces while CEO lay goes up. It's insane.

I was just reading about her the other day. She put in 130 hour work weeks at Google, and would sleep under her desk, so at least her work ethic wasn't part of the issue. I really do think she tried her best, it just seems like she/Yahoo was doomed to fail. 55 mil does seem like a ridiculous severance package though.

"Working" 130 hours a week just means that you sleep at your desk and eat all of your meals on campus. You're not getting anything worthwhile done at hour 20 of a 24 hour shift.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
My favourite part of her tenure when was she got a bunch of designers together over the weekend to do a re-brand and produced their new logo...

yahoonewlogo.png

Kill3r7

A severance package is essentially a signing bonus. They are often negotiated prior to a CEO signing a contract. So they are another tool to entice a CEO to take the job.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My favourite part of her tenure when was she got a bunch of designers together over the weekend to do a re-brand and produced their new logo...

yahoonewlogo.png
That picture is backwards right? I mean, the second one is from 1998, right?

entremet

That's for employees that actually produce something though. For a CEO whose actions have only ever lost the company money, who's to say working crazy hours isn't beneficial in some way? Perhaps they're at their most dangerous when they come bounding in on Monday morning, well-rested and full of beans.
Her 130 hour figure was when she was an employee at Google.

It could be the best part of Yahoo. They have had so many opportunities to pivot it to be a leader in social media but fumbled every attempt while Snapchat and Instagram explode.
I don't see it having the need to become a Snapchat or an Instagram.

It does a good job of what it was created to be. From a business perspective I'm sure lots more could be done, but from the user perspective it is pretty good.

Those services are about disposable images. Here's a quick photo of my boobs or lunch, looks good don'it.

Flickr is more about decent quality photography.

SpotAnime

A severance package is essentially a signing bonus. They are often negotiated prior to a CEO signing a contract. So they are another tool to entice a CEO to take the job.

Yep, in most executive-level positions they negotiate what's known as a Golden Parachute. Being at that level, you're in charge of so many factors outside ofnyour control, it's more likely you'll fail than succeed. You can come up with strategy all you want, it takes execution to pull it off. So you could have resistance from the board, staffing issues, a corp of generals who aren't suited to do the job, geopolitical constraints, economic barriers, you name it. The best leaders have the best leaders under them, and it seemed like Yahoo couldn't find or keep their best.

Plus, these folks basically eat sleep and dream work, so at risk of their health or family, they want to make sure they are taken care of in the event they give it their all and don't succeed. You can blame Mayer for not having a solid strategy, but you can't say she didn't work hard. And now, after sacrificing years of her personal life, she gets paid for it.

I've heard stories about how dysfunctional their development teams were, and that is a result of poor management. All the strategy in the world couldn't fix the lower level issues they were having. Whereas, Facebook and Google were iterating the hell out of their products, Yahoo was stuck with a broken system.

massoluk

Banned

yahoonewlogo.png

Yup, the first one had so much more personality. And they treated the entire thing as some industry shattering event.

Dennis

Banned
Plus, these folks basically eat sleep and dream work, so at risk of their health or family, they want to make sure they are taken care of in the event they give it their all and don't succeed. You can blame Mayer for not having a solid strategy, but you can't say she didn't work hard. And now, after sacrificing years of her personal life, she gets paid for it.

So does a lot of people working two minimum wage jobs.

Except nobody gives a fuck about their health or if they can take of their family.

element

Flickr is more about decent quality photography.
And as someone who love looking at EXIF data and seeing what cameras people use, that is a huge minority and pretty much zero market.

Instagram already has become a place where decent quality photography is being posted, far more than Flickr is today. Given the right tools for content creators, you could service both markets.

LevelNth

Banned
Nah, thats bullshit. While it would have been incredibly difficult to turn Yahoo around, it was possible at one point. Cut costs hard, fire middle management bureaucrats, pivot the business AWAY from ads/search/directory and into email, photos, mobile, tumblr, etc.

Instead Meyers was just a terrible, terrible, terrible CEO
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar...d-yahoo-ceo-mistakes-are-costly/#447354d56281
http://www.forbes.com/sites/miguelhelft/2015/11/19/the-last-days-of-marissa-mayer/#35b503ef6bff

Cutting work at home policy. Pivoting to TV (Community, hiring Katie Couric), encouraging turf wars internally, poor hiring (and firing) of some top execs, its just an endless list of poor decisions - like throwing a $7m dollar Christmas party in 2015 that literally was themed Great Gatsby, as they were in the middle of firing thousands.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/yahoo-had-a-party

Its easy to run a company that is doing well, you just listen to the smart people under you and keep the boat steady. But to turn around a company requires someone ruthless and deep understanding of financials, it was such a dumb, dumb decision to hire someone who only knew success.
This, truly this. If people are really interested they should read a bit more about her tenure at Yahoo. I can't think of a worse CEO in the last few years, and yet she's lucky enough that her incompetence might be shrouded enough under the false perception that Yahoo was doomed regardless that she might luck her way into another horrendously undeserved role.

Kill3r7

This, truly this. If people are really interested they should read a bit more about her tenure at Yahoo. I can't think of a worse CEO in the last few years, and yet she's lucky enough that her incompetence might be shrouded enough under the false perception that Yahoo was doomed regardless that she might luck her way into another horrendously undeserved role.

None of this matters as had she done a better job she would be entitled to a larger severance package based on her ability to hit certain milestones.

Plum

None of this matters as had she done a better job she would be entitled to a larger severance package based on her ability to hit certain milestones.

$55m is pretty damn big no matter which way you look at it. Just because she could have got $100m instead doesn't change anything about how absurd it is.

grendelrt

My favorite is when she removed all work from home benefits and laid off anyone that wasn't near an office, but had a nursery built beside her office so she could bring her kid to work.

WarMacheen

Well, that's more than enough money to build another nursery next door at her next job while banning working from home.

Plum

My favorite is when she removed all work from home benefits and laid off anyone that wasn't near an office, but had a nursery built beside her office so she could bring her kid to work.

If she couldn't bring her kid to work her magnificent talent might have left and Yahoo wouldn't be in the great position it is now! She deserves it, those lazy scroungers too stupid to become CEO don't at all.

If you couldn't tell, /s

Apathy

CEO severance packages are just insane. Here, a bunch of money for destroying our company while we pay workers shit by comparison.

Kill3r7

$55m is pretty damn big no matter which way you look at it. Just because she could have got $100m instead doesn't change anything about how absurd it is.

Agreed but this severance package was most likely negotiated prior to her signing on. So, to then point to her poor performance to argue that the severance package is too big is asinine. This is what the Yahoo board agreed to prior to bringing her on. They used the severance package among other benefits to entice her to join their company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom