• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Paz

Best way to describe Yakuza is a JRPG built on top of the tech that was engineered for Shenmue.

I mean I don't know that literally, but that's how it feels to me. Sure it has a modern setting and real time combat, but it's also full of random encounters, narrative heavy cut scenes, complex text heavy side quests, deep game systems, and money acts as exp/levels.

So damn good.

Man, I'm really good at and lucky at the phone game. Got all three girls in a row. It was amusing to play this while my friend was sitting in my bed sewing a shirt; she just looked up at video game titties and went back to sewing.
"Hmm I wonder what he/she's doing now"

*looks up*

"Oh the usual."
Best way to describe Yakuza is a JRPG built on top of the tech that was engineered for Shenmue.

I mean I don't know that literally, but that's how it feels to me. Sure it has a modern setting and real time combat, but it's also full of random encounters, narrative heavy cut scenes, complex text heavy side quests, deep game systems, and money acts as exp/levels.

So damn good.
Yakuza 0 is the only game where the money acts as exp/levels. All other games (including Kiwami) have the leveling system separate from the currency system.

Hoping someone here can help out. I'm missing one weapon in the "Unorthodox" section, right underneath Venom Spray. And I'm missing two gear pieces in the "Decorative" section underneath Stone of Enduring and Calming Towel. Anyone know what those items are called and hopefully where I can find them?

Reposting for new page. Hopefully someone here knows. :(

"Hmm I wonder what he/she's doing now"

*looks up*

"Oh the usual."

Lol what's really funny is how accurate that is. Once we were laying in bed, she was reading and listening to a podcast and I was playing Criminal Girls 2 and she looks over for a couple seconds and goes "Bang the slutty one" then went back to reading. I think she's used to it at this point.

Also Sakurai stood me up, the bitch!

Lol what's really funny is how accurate that is. Once we were laying in bed, she was reading and listening to a podcast and I was playing Criminal Girls 2 and she looks over for a couple seconds and goes "Bang the slutty one" then went back to reading. I think she's used to it at this point.
Well, at least it wasn't Senran Kagura. Not much one can do to try and play that one off.

Sorry bud, I wish I knew. Planning on going for the trophy and knowing this could help :(

I'm not sure if you need to get all items in the list in order to get the 100% completion trophy. It may just count for the first list with the Adventure/Battle/etc tabs. And there isn't a CP point for all weapons/gear, I just wanna do it to do it. Same with the Heat Actions which I still have a ways to go as well.

I'm not sure if you need to get all items in the list in order to get the 100% completion trophy. It may just count for the first list with the Adventure/Battle/etc tabs. And there isn't a CP point for all weapons/gear, I just wanna do it to do it. Same with the Heat Actions which I still have a ways to go as well.

There is CP for getting upto 70 unique weapons and 70 unique accessories. And there is a trophy that says called Eye of the Dragon and Tiger which says "Obtain all equipment parts."So I'm guessing that's the components with which you craft stuff so you need to get one of each.

Yeah, you need to do it for the 100% completion. I've gotten over 70 of both for the CP requirement but I'm still missing the parts. Just don't know what they are so I don't know where to look for them :(

I know that doing the
colisseum/bed of Styx battles with majima gives you parts but each tournament only gives you one specific item so I need to unlock all of them to know what they give and that's quite a grind.

Bog

Junior Ace
For real, fuck the randomness in the last Pocket Circuit race. Sometimes no jumps go off track. Sometimes they all do. Obnoxious shit.

Someone in here mentioned that the games tend to do a summary of the series? Because once I finish this I'll obvs play the remake of the first one, but I also want to find a way, even if it's just cutscenes, to see the story of 2-5 before playing 6. But if there's a summary that might be good enough. Though any character relationships will go over my head

Someone in here mentioned that the games tend to do a summary of the series? Because once I finish this I'll obvs play the remake of the first one, but I also want to find a way, even if it's just cutscenes, to see the story of 2-5 before playing 6. But if there's a summary that might be good enough. Though any character relationships will go over my head

Yakuza 6 has a summary of all major plot points that have happened up till that point. And yes, you won't get some character relationships or they might not be as impactful as they would for series veterans but 6, like all Yakuza games, is a self-contained story at it's core.

These "bad" phone girls are killing me. I feel kinda bad that the joke is "they're ugly" but the fact that I take damage from going to a hotel with them makes me laugh really hard.

Algebrah

I will just let my girlfriend who has no action game experience play with the Cabaret management .

*walks away to do chores and work for the day*

(12 hours later)

Fiance: "Hey so I took down 4 or the 5 stars and you now have 33 billion yen."

Me: "What? How? Do you get in fights with the owners"

Fiance: "Yeah, I mashed square and drank a bunch of potions"

Me: "That worked?"

Wife: "Yeah, I also restocked you with a bunch of potions. I hope that's okay"

Me: "That's rad!/Holy shit!"

There is CP for getting upto 70 unique weapons and 70 unique accessories. And there is a trophy that says called Eye of the Dragon and Tiger which says "Obtain all equipment parts."So I'm guessing that's the components with which you craft stuff so you need to get one of each.

Yeah, you need to do it for the 100% completion. I've gotten over 70 of both for the CP requirement but I'm still missing the parts. Just don't know what they are so I don't know where to look for them :(

I know that doing the
colisseum/bed of Styx battles with majima gives you parts but each tournament only gives you one specific item so I need to unlock all of them to know what they give and that's quite a grind.

There's a CP point for 100 different weapons but there's a bit more than 100 total. The only CP points I'm still missing are minigame related.

As for Majima's parts, this link should help! Scroll down to Database>Item>Material. It lists the parts and where to find them although there is still RNG involved.

It also has weapon/gear lists but I can't find the items I'm missing on those lists. The translated names are different than the in-game names obviously and some stuff is out of order. I think some of the lists are incomplete as well. For example, in the accessory list I see no mention of the Calming Towel.

I guess I'll need to go through every location with every agent and hope I get the items/recipes that I'm missing. D:
EDIT - Forgot about the Coliseum stuff you mentioned as well. I did that with Kiryu instead because of the Golden Pistol. I wonder if the items/weapons you get from Endless Rout are different for Majima. D:

Ultimadrago

I will just let my girlfriend who has no action game experience play with the Cabaret management .

(12 hours later)

Ha! Awesome.

Ultimadrago

How in the hell did she make 30 billion with cabaret. The highest pay out you get with club moon is like 100 million per run. Did she play that 300 times?

Yeah, I don't know about 33 billion, unless they took down Mr.Shakedown in-between a couple times. Maybe she meant something over 3 billion? Completing the Cabaret quest gives you a billion or so, if I recall.

There's a CP point for 100 different weapons but there's a bit more than 100 total. The only CP points I'm still missing are minigame related.

As for Majima's parts, this link should help! Scroll down to Database>Item>Material. It lists the parts and where to find them although there is still RNG involved.

It also has weapon/gear lists but I can't find the items I'm missing on those lists. The translated names are different than the in-game names obviously and some stuff is out of order. I think some of the lists are incomplete as well. For example, in the accessory list I see no mention of the Calming Towel.

I guess I'll need to go through every location with every agent and hope I get the items/recipes that I'm missing. D:
EDIT - Forgot about the Coliseum stuff you mentioned as well. I did that with Kiryu instead because of the Golden Pistol. I wonder if the items/weapons you get from Endless Rout are different for Majima. D:
Oh dear lord, thanks for that link!!

And the CP is actually for 70 I think cause I've maxed out the CP I can get from all but minigames, and I certainly don't have 100 weapons or gear.

(12 hours later)

MARRY HE- oh wait.

Yeah, I don't know about 33 billion, unless they took down Mr.Shakedown in-between a couple times. Maybe she meant something over 3 billion? Completing the Cabaret quest gives you a billion or so, if I rec
I think if you best club moon you get a 3 or 4 billion bonus. But 33 billion is excessive to the point I can't see anybody making that amount in a single day unless you did not thing but play that.

Ultimadrago

I think if you best club moon you get a 3 or 4 billion bonus. But 33 billion is excessive to the point I can't see anybody making that amount in a single day unless you did not thing but play that.

Maybe that was the case *shrug*. And I knew I was undershooting that bonus. Had so much money at that point, I think I just tapped through the reward screen. lol

My biggest regret is not abusing the Mr shakedown bonus when you beat him back after he steals all of your money.

But then again majima doesn't really need it and I've already maxed out everything I care to max out with both him and Kiryu (the latter I have no interest in doing more of the real estate besides the first boss).

I didn't want to imagine life after Yakuza 0 and yet, here I am :( I'm so pressed for more Yakuza that I may just start on 5.

This was EXACTLY how I felt in that period when I finished Yakuza 2 and couldn't track down a copy of Yakuza 3 (I live in Pakistan). I actually decided to ask my brother in law to send a copy from the UK and in that brief period, I actually managed to find a guy selling a copy here!

Bought the used copy, played the heck out of it and moved on to the next ones and now I still have a sealed copy of Y3 :)

This was EXACTLY how I felt in that period when I finished Yakuza 2 and couldn't track down a copy of Yakuza 3 (I live in Pakistan). I actually decided to ask my brother in law to send a copy from the UK and in that brief period, I actually managed to find a guy selling a copy here!

Bought the used copy, played the heck out of it and moved on to the next ones and now I still have a sealed copy of Y3 :)

Nice! I really can't wait for Kiwami but maybe 5 will ease the wait lol.

I didn't want to imagine life after Yakuza 0 and yet, here I am :( I'm so pressed for more Yakuza that I may just start on 5.

5 is great IMO, the story is pretty basic, but the game has a lot of content! 4 playable character, 5 cities, less tedious than the previous games (the substories are always on the map, no need to aimlessly wander in the game until you stumble upon them)

0 is still better, but doing 5 is a good idea considering what happen with haruka and kiryu at the end, since you'll probably play yakuza 6!

the only thing i hated was haruka's part... lots of people will love it, but is was painfull for me

muteki

I made it to Chapter 3 and wow what an intro. Also it isn't much but I hit 500,000 in Outrun first time and that made me happy. Not looking forward to Space Harrier as that is less my thing.

At any point do you get to choose between Kiryuu and Majima freely?

5 is great IMO, the story is pretty basic, but the game has a lot of content! 4 playable character, 5 cities, less tedious than the previous games (the substories are always on the map, no need to aimlessly wander in the game until you stumble upon them)

0 is still better, but doing 5 is a good idea considering what happen with haruka and kiryu at the end, since you'll probably play yakuza 6!

the only thing i hated was haruka's part... lots of people will love it, but is was painfull for me

A buddy of mine pretty much said the same, especially of the story. The only thing I'm worried about are the Saejima parts, which I hear a lot about.

I made it to Chapter 3 and wow what an intro. Also it isn't much but I hit 500,000 in Outrun first time and that made me happy. Not looking forward to Space Harrier as that is less my thing.

Yes, during the final chapter

A buddy of mine pretty much said the same, especially of the story. The only thing I'm worried about are the Saejima parts, which I hear a lot about.

don't worry, you're never obligated to do the side parts of the character stories (except one or two time, but no need to complete them)

Nice! I really can't wait for Kiwami but maybe 5 will ease the wait lol.

Have you played 4? Because I'd recommend playing that first. If you have, then sure start with 5.

My only advice would be to treat each chapter as a separate game, because honestly that's what it feels like at times.

Ultimadrago

A. 500,000? Don't you mean 5,000,000? In any case, congrats! I'm terrible at that game :(

B. Space Harrier is easier, just keep him moving.

C. Yes, later on you'll be able to switch between. Much later on.

Have you played 4? Because I'd recommend playing that first. If you have, then sure start with 5.

My only advice would be to treat each chapter as a separate game, because honestly that's what it feels like at times.

I played through 3 and 4 last summer. Was my intention to start 5 right after but I was slightly burned out.

A. 500,000? Don't you mean 5,000,000? In any case, congrats! I'm terrible at that game :(

Electronics King beat my ass at OutRun. I definitely need to practice for future challenges.

muteki

I may have missed a 0 or two, but it is level you get a CP for. Which is just a couple checkpoints in, really.

I played through 3 and 4 last summer. Was my intention to start 5 right after but I was slightly burned out.

Honestly, it's worth playing just for some of the INSANE stuff that Saejima and Kiryu do. The other characters have their moments but these 2 FUCK SHIT UP.

Just take your time with it though, as it's the BIGGEST Yakuza game yet (including 0) which is both a good and a bad thing.

Honestly, it's worth playing just for some of the INSANE stuff that Saejima and Kiryu do. The other characters have their moments but these 2 FUCK SHIT UP.

Just take your time with it though, as it's the BIGGEST Yakuza game yet (including 0) which is both a good and a bad thing.

yeah saejima is my favourite in 4 and 5! I never was a big fan of kiryu... except in 0, he's too much emotionless, never smile (yeah he had a fucking tough life i get it), never laugh, he's boring after a while (was told it's different in 6 so can't wait for it) ! At least the situations he's put in are amazing!

Saejima was decent at the start, but then I realized his role is pretty much that of the "criminal with a heart of gold who values honour and loyalty above else."

As much as I love Kiryu, I will admit that they make him too much of a paragon of virtue at times. "Which is exactly why Rikiya was SO WELL DONE in Yakuza 3. He felt like the "younger country bumpkin" version of Kiryu, only funnier.

528082-yakuza-3-playstation-3-screenshot-kazuma-and-rikiya-pretending.jpg

And that's why I love Akiyama. Dude is savvy, smart and charismatic, funny and can kick ass like nobody's business. I feel like they really Y5 SPOILERS
shafted Akiyama by forcing him to share a chapter with Haruka in 5 but the ending MORE than made up for it.

65 hours, 59% completion, and I've just finished the main story. What a game. Just... what a game. Long story short, I absolutely loved it. I've only been into the Yakuza series for a little over a year now, after starting with 4 when it went free on Playstation Plus, but it was almost immediately one of those "where has this series been all my life?" moments. I loved 4 so much I went and played every other game in the series (except Kenzan and Ishin, which I own already own copies of).

Before 0, my favourite in the series was 2. I just loved the characters, the story, the fish out of water scenario with Kiryu out of his depth in Osaka, and the wonderful romance between Kiryu and Kaoru on opposite sides of the law. I still think Ryuji is my favourite 'villain' of the series, but honestly I think 0 tops 2 as my favourite Yakuza game. It feels like the culmination of everything the developers learned over all those years of making this series. All their experiments with multiple cities, multiple characters, multiple fighting styles, and all their growing skill at storytelling and character writing; it feels like they just got everything perfect here. I don't think I've ever been more invested in a Yakuza story, or loved the characters more. They just nailed it.

Spoilers for everything:
What can you even say? There were so many times during that ending when I was just cheering at my TV. So many incredible bossfights, so much hype. I can't believe we got five bossfights against Kuze! I got so hyped taking him on in Rush style, boxer to boxer, that I was practically bobbing and weaving in my seat as I played :p

Shibusawa isn't going to dethrone Ryuji on the totem pole of best Yakuza final bosses any time soon, of course, but he did come into his own in the last third of the story, and he made for an incredible fight (he had his own styles!). Using him as an opportunity to reinforce Kiryu and Nishiki's relationship in the end was perfect. I'm not really a fan of the original Yakuza, partially because it's so clunky to play these days, but also because Nishiki is basically only in it for like ten minutes despite ostensibly being the main antagonist. But seeing Nishiki and Kiryu in their glory days has done wonders for the way I think of those two, and I'll be there day one for Kiwami.

RIP Tachibana, you one-armed king among men. I loved that guy. One of the best bros in the series. His death scene just punched me right in the gut, especially Kiryu's reaction. "I'll bury the entire Tojo Clan". Brought back those "RIKIYAAAA!" memories.

And, while I still wish they could have retconned the entire series to have Makoto end up with Majima, I still thought they finished her story off really nicely. Kind of like Kaoru and Kiryu, there's no way they could have been together without both of them being in pretty much constant danger; Makoto deserves the quiet life with a nice doctor after everything she's been through. (btw, when exactly was Majima married to Haruka's idol mentor from Y5? That little bit of trivia doesn't really seem to fit into Y0's story at all :p).

hamsjams

I guess it's an issue with the emulated games. Try using the left stick instead of dpad to play and input name, it works better.

I'm so invested with Nioh at the moment that I haven't touched Yakuza since last Tuesday, I feel dirty now :( Will play a bit this afternoon, too much Japanese greatness!

I think it's a common issue, I also have experienced unresponsive controls every time I'm about to introduce my score name, both in OutRun and Space Harrier

Thanks, guys! I figured using the anologue might alleviate things somewhat. That's an unexpected issue, though. Weird.

(btw, when exactly was Majima married to Haruka's idol mentor from Y5? That little bit of trivia doesn't really seem to fit into Y0's story at all :p).
This was back when he had both eyes so before the entire assassination attempt situation.

The marriage didn't really last long though and was over before the flashback from Y4 came into play.

They didn't touch on it at all in the main story. I think one of the hostess trainings might have touched on that but that was pretty much it.

Saejima was decent at the start, but then I realized his role is pretty much that of the "criminal with a heart of gold who values honour and loyalty above else."

As much as I love Kiryu, I will admit that they make him too much of a paragon of virtue at times. "Which is exactly why Rikiya was SO WELL DONE in Yakuza 3. He felt like the "younger country bumpkin" version of Kiryu, only funnier.

528082-yakuza-3-playstation-3-screenshot-kazuma-and-rikiya-pretending.jpg

And that's why I love Akiyama. Dude is savvy, smart and charismatic, funny and can kick ass like nobody's business. I feel like they really Y5 SPOILERS
shafted Akiyama by forcing him to share a chapter with Haruka in 5 but the ending MORE than made up for it.
i kinda wonder sometimes is kiryu actually gay?

Top Bottom