• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

DC1

You mean an uncensored version? Not a lot. Japanese developers tend to avoid Z rating like a plague. Koei Tecmo fought very hard to get Hokuto Musou and Berserk Musou down to D rating.

Here is a post from Nirolak that puts things in context
Thanks for the context.
However, is there precedence for releasing two versions of the same title.

You mean an uncensored version? Not a lot. Japanese developers tend to avoid Z rating like a plague. Koei Tecmo fought very hard to get Hokuto Musou and Berserk Musou down to D rating.

Here is a post from Nirolak that puts things in context

Huh, I guess I assumed the openness to sex (as well as the amount of gory horror movies) in Japan would make them lenient in videogames as well.

They would certainly sell more copies in the west with nudity though. (see: The Witcher)

2.) Once you're not putting in tons of blood and gore, which culturally is a better fit for Japan, it's a lot easier to keep your rating down, especially since innuendo doesn't seem to raise CERO ratings very quickly.

This sounds like a Yakuza minigame.

semiconscious

Gold Member
holy shit! chapter 10, & (via substory) i just bumped into
shinji!

done with real estate / hostess club stuff, & now (sadly) roaring along toward the finish line. oh, well - more to come this summer! :) ...

semiconscious

Gold Member
I genuinely can't explain why I enjoyed the Haruka section of Y5, given that I can't stand any of that Miku or idol stuff that's big in Japan. Probably helped that it came not long after Saejima's chapter dragged on for a little too long.

hey! i love the haruka parts as well, & i pretty much hate rhythm game stuff, including the karaoke & disco stuff in this game. can't explain it, either, except the mechanics just worked for me :) ...

Ultimadrago

Regarding Serena and other Yakuza games,
I hope she doesn't really endanger herself by associating so closely with us n'er-do-wells
!

Jeffrey

The biggest disconnect I had with this game is when they start throwing numbers like 1 billion or 10 billion yen in the story.

Man I can pay this shit off with a square button. Why go through all this crime drama and punching lol.

It is strange that for a Japanese game laser-focused on an adult audience and filled with mature storylines and plenty of violence, showing nudity or sexual content is somehow a bridge too far.

Ok here is the deal. It's a console game. In Japan that means that in no way shape or form can you have nudity. Period. Western games that have nudity, even when they have a CERO Z rating are censored when they go to Japan. Also, even if CERO allowed it, no console manufacturer in Japan would. Hell, I think it's been a good 20 years since the last console allowed nudity, and that was the PCFX. Part of the reason we get the really creepy almost nudity in Japan is because of this.

The CERO system as a whole is INCREDIBLY restrictive. In fact Japan has one of the harshest systems in the world right now. The main thing is stuff that would get an M here when it comes to creepy underage sexy stuff, is simply not considered as bad over there. While games like Witcher 3, just don't fly.

A lot of it has to to with Japan's history of panic when it comes to stuff that is "targeted at the youth". It's one of the reasons that you will never see underage drinking or smoking in Anime anymore (or it's hilariously censored like in the new JoJo's anime.) and hell even Japanese games do the same thing. Why do you think every JRPG world still has the drinking age at 20? There's actually a Youth Protection law in place that mandates this.

Other things such as dismemberment are strict no-no's as well. An example is (Chapter 1 spoiler)
Kuze cutting his finger off.
We don't see it because that would be a CERO Z type thing.

Zukkoyaki

I'm loving the hell out of the game so far but I genuinely can't believe that the disco game made it through QA in its current form. I'm not even necessarily referring to the controls and prompts etc, I mean it's just visually overwhelming. Can you imagine trying to play it if you were even a little color blind?

Ultimadrago

Every part of me is hoping that Yakuza 0 isn't just one honeymoon that I'll wake up from in Kiwami. The game's really enjoyable to mess around in.

I'm loving the hell out of the game so far but I genuinely can't believe that the disco game made it through QA in its current form. I'm not even necessarily referring to the controls and prompts etc, I mean it's just visually overwhelming. Can you imagine trying to play it if you were even a little color blind?

Funny you say that, a colorblind person in this very thread complained about it. Hope they got their completion.

DC1

After three days of tentative implosion.. I finally shot pass 10 Thousands points in Fantasy Zone.

I hate that game.

images

Don't you mean 100,000 points?

And I like Fantasy Zone! (But I'm not great at it). Losing your super awesome jets from a Snail Riding Bullet and taking the long way home upon continuing is one hell of a soul crusher.

Yes. 100,000 points!
And the three day lite anxiety lead me to believe that I would never plat the game because it. (Slight overreacting but enough to make me not want to play the mini game again).

Ultimadrago

After three days of tentative implosion.. I finally shot pass 10 Thousands points in Fantasy Zone.

I hate that game.

images

Don't you mean 100,000 points?

And I like Fantasy Zone! (But I'm not great at it). Losing your super awesome jets from a Snail Riding Bullet and taking the long way home upon continuing is one hell of a soul crusher.

Ferrio

Banned

I hate that game.

images

How am I missing these games? Is there some arcade I'm missing, or is it later in the game? All I've seen is outrun and space harrier.

Ultimadrago

How am I missing these games? Is there some arcade I'm missing, or is it later in the game? All I've seen is outrun and space harrier.

You unlock Fantasy Zone once you
Max out the Arcade Employee's Friendship in Osaka by beating her Space Harrier scores

Frimaire

You need to complete the friendship sidestory for the attendant in each of the arcades.
Just play Outrun and Space Harrier a bit and they should talk to you about it.
Then you just need to beat their high scores.

DC1

It's one of the games in the northern saga center on the Kamurocho map.

You need to complete the friendship sidestory for the attendant in each of the arcades.
Just play Outrun and Space Harrier a bit and they should talk to you about it.
Then you just need to beat their high scores.

Ha! Forgot about that..."Fantasy Zone"

at one point, there's gonna be a lady working in the arcade, next to outrun for kiryu, and next to space harrier for majima! You can befriend them by playing the game! Once the friendship is complete, you will unlock super hang-on with kriyu and fantasy zone with majima

SephLuis

I must be one of the few that liked the disco mini game >_>

But I also like other rhythm games that are visually overwhelming, so I got some practice in there. My only issue was that doing a lot of steps before hitting the prompt was difficult and my hand would eventually cramp if I played the minigame too much.

Ultimadrago

But I also like other rhythm games that are visually overwhelming, so I got some practice in there. My only issue was that doing a lot of steps before hitting the prompt was difficult and my hand would eventually cramp if I played the minigame too much.

Oh no, I'm with you. I actively enjoy the disco minigame and find it works fine. The color blind deal may be an issue with the thick neon blocks to each note (same reason I adjusted my mental timing for it versus when I first played it).

I usually hate playing rhythm games and stay away from the more hardcore ones like Miku, but the ones in Yakuza are just simple enough for me. Okay, they could have added a little more to karaoke, but disco is cool.

Seriously? How hard is it? Not a fan of either of those games.

All of the personal high scores are rather easy to beat even if you are horrible at the games.

Aki-at

hey! i love the haruka parts as well, & i pretty much hate rhythm game stuff, including the karaoke & disco stuff in this game. can't explain it, either, except the mechanics just worked for me :) ...

It's because of Haruka's stuff that I started to enjoy Miku games, otherwise I disliked almost all rhythm games.

For me it the street dance battles were great and came with some lovely tracks, some funny sidemissions too. She was my second favourite character in the game.

And I'd totally buy a full game set around that gameplay as you help a musician rise to the top and have street dance battles.

I really hated the disco mini game at the beginning (I actually have said so multiple times in this thread) but after a while it just clicked for me and I enjoyed it tremendously. I got so good at that mini-game that I managed to beat Isobe in my first try. And it wasn't even close. (+1000 points gap between the scores)

Finalow

finished this game a couple of days ago, loved the ending.

not much to say, really. just a great and very enjoyable game, whether you're a fan of the series or not. definitely one of the best Yakuza games for me, up there with 2.

that being said, I'm also gonna rant about how annoying the telephone club substories were.
for whatever deranged reason, they decided to put 7, seven, of those fucking substories in the game. with the main issue being that you need to play the same not-exactly-fun minigame over and over again until you get lucky and get the girl(s) you're looking for.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

SUCK IT CLUB MOON!

Oh wait... the antagonists have a sympathetic backstory... fuck.

The only real jerks ended up being Club Mars guy and Club Venus guy.

SUCK IT CLUB MOON!

For how many times Moon spammed their abilities they actually didn't drop my bottom line that much. I thought I made much less than the 84mil that I did. Still super annoying though.

mileS

Real estate has taken over my life. Might just finish up as much as I can in chapter 6. That possible?

This game is incredible man. Can't believe we have a remake of 1 coming later this year. On top of that I just had a nice surprise. I found my copy of Yakuza 2 (ps2) in an old box of stuff. Perfect condition. Only Yakuza game I've owned before 0. Don't think I made it past the intro back in the day.

Real estate has taken over my life. Might just finish up as much as I can in chapter 6. That possible?

This game is incredible man. Can't believe we have a remake of 1 coming later this year. On top of that I just had a nice surprise. I found my copy of Yakuza 2 (ps2) in an old box of stuff. Perfect condition. Only Yakuza game I've owned before 0. Don't think I made it past the intro back in the day.

I'm pretty sure I fully completed it in Ch6. After that you just keep coming back to collect the cash lol

So is the fact that Kiwami isn't up for preorder yet a cause for concern? I ask mainly because I've never really followed Sega games pre-release before, so if this is normal for them then whatever. Mainly curious if anyone is expecting a delay.

Jeffrey

SUCK IT CLUB MOON!

i like how this ending
is a happy ending except wait... didn't the boss kill off everyone else? ... well who cares!

TheMan

Man, not feeling this nearly as much as I hoped. Cutscenes are annoyingly long, combat is repetitive against the same groups of enemies. Side quests can be decent, but so far they're basically just cutscenes with a few questions peppered in. Think I need to sell this.

Also, imagine my surprise when I started watching The Age of Shadows tonight and Sagawa shows up!

UHitpmW.png

EDIT: To make this a little more relevant to Y0 - The mocap in this game is fantastic. I was able to recognize the actor who plays Sagawa in seconds mainly due to his body language (the first scene he's in is further away, so you don't see his face as much)

Man, not feeling this nearly as much as I hoped. Cutscenes are annoyingly long, combat is repetitive against the same groups of enemies. Side quests can be decent, but so far they're basically just cutscenes with a few questions peppered in. Think I need to sell this.
Sorry to hear this. The combat will become much more open once you've unlocked some of the moves and abilities. But if you are not feeling the other parts either, then yeah, unfortunately this might not be for you.

How far in the game are you?? The game picked up pace after chapter 4.

MrDaravon

After sitting in the final chapter for a while grinding out the Carabet Club today finally beat the game, fucking incredible. Probably second best game of the generation behind Witcher 3 for me, and just barely.

I'm going to try to go for the platinum, but how hard is it to wrap up all the minigames? For example I have zero idea how to play mahjong or shogi, is it going to be a 10+ hour nightmare to learn and get good enough at those to get the CP associated with them?

After sitting in the final chapter for a while grinding out the Carabet Club today finally beat the game, fucking incredible. Probably second best game of the generation behind Witcher 3 for me, and just barely.

I'm going to try to go for the platinum, but how hard is it to wrap up all the minigames? For example I have zero idea how to play mahjong or shogi, is it going to be a 10+ hour nightmare to learn and get good enough at those to get the CP associated with them?
I've played Mahjong for like 5 hours now and only have managed to get the CP for going out 10 times. It's very challenging, to say the least. I'm enjoying it tho.

I think Kuze is my favourite boss to fight in the whole series. Most of the more difficult bossfights are just too punishing to let you get away with doing anything but baiting them into an attack, dodging to the side, getting one or two hits in and then dodging out before they pull some magic bullshit to un-stunlock themselves and death kick you right through your attacks (or just Tiger Dropping your way through the whole fight, of course). Going boxer to boxer with Kuze in Rush style is just so awesome, though. His one-two *bob and weave* one-two pattern is perfect for giving you just enough room to get in between his attacks if you're brave enough, so you can stay right up in his face the whole fight without having to kite him around.

His second fight where he uses the metal pipe still has a bit to much of that irritating tracking that some of the bosses have, where you'll try and dodge around to his back but the next attack in his combo will snap around 180 degrees to target you again, but all the hand to hand fights are pure action game bliss. And they just keep coming! He's the most tenacious rival character in an action game since Vorkken in The Wonderful 101 :p

Weird how minigames I was really into back in chapter 5 are now really annoying in later chapters. Telephone dates are tedious as hell to get through (yay another thirty seconds of waiting for the right response to finally pop out from underneath the other three giant wrong responses) and the wall you hit in Pocket Circuit at the end is fucking ridiculous. Like, you apparently need an extremely specific set of parts or forget it.

Tohsaka

It is strange that for a Japanese game laser-focused on an adult audience and filled with mature storylines and plenty of violence, showing nudity or sexual content is somehow a bridge too far.

You can't show nipples in console/handheld games released in Japan because of the ratings board. They remove sex scenes from all the Visual Novel ports that originally had them on PC, and western games that have nudity get censored for the Japanese localization.

Top Bottom