• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 shows "PS4 Console Exclusive". Coming to PC? (Nah)

DryvBy

I think this is the most interest I've ever seen in a Yakuza thread, usually we dream of getting to multiple pages :p

lol. So this means SEGA definitely should port this over.

SEGA, you have 11 pages on GAF on a Yakuza thread. Do it!

You can believe me, or you can not believe me. My point is that when the game launches and you're like 'WTF SEGA, WHERE IS MY PC VERSION' I'm gonna dig up this thread and jam it in your face.

If, by some manner of infinite improbability, a PC version does come into being, I will glady...GLADLY eat crow on it.

But right now? Nothing. Nil. Nada. There is no PC version. Pointing out inconsistencies on trans-Atlantic boxart is not going to change the fact that there is still no PC version.

I love you

DryvBy

i thought this was confirmation? it's still a question?

I think it is coming. Even the recent thread about the Business Card edition is showing this box. The only example people have of another game using the PS4 Console Exclusive Game is KoFXIV. That game just released on PS4 in August. KoF also shows up on PC at a later date.

The only other thing is Atlus PR said no in this thread. But that could just be PR. We'll see.

I understand doubting PR in some cases, but this isn't a "nothing to announce" or "no plans" answer.

He literally said "there is no PC version"

It takes a special circus of crazy to continue the speculation and basically accuse him of lying.

And it still has a strong chance of coming to PC, seeing as multiple KOF games are already on Steam.

It's a shame releasing modern fighting games later on steam doesn't result in a resurgence of tournament numbers or scene, wish it did but history shows that's not the case for KOF looking at 13. If they released recent KOF at the same time it would've helped, if they also made it crossplay it would've been great.

PC scene is dead much quicker than console was, it doesn't build the tournament scene. The good players already bought the game and aren't interested in non-scenes elsewhere. When they release on PC much later, like KOF13, it's more of a quick cash grab than forget about it.

Steam late releases don't translate into online players, some people point to steam stats, but that doesn't mean much. Most times, people buy a game in a sale or in a humble bundle and never touch or just boot it to check out the first 5 mins. Best thing to check is where the active player base is really at.

jmga

I understand doubting PR in some cases, but this isn't a "nothing to announce" or "no plans" answer.

It takes a special circus of crazy to continue the speculation and basically accuse him of lying.

It would help if he explained why the game was announced as PS4 Console Exclusive at PSX and almost a year later the same label has been put on the box.

Nah, nothing confirmed. The only reliable info we have is that "console exclusive" mention on the box art.
apparently that was a misprint..
well I guess that's that.
I think it is coming. Even the recent thread about the Business Card edition is showing this box. The only example people have of another game using the PS4 Console Exclusive Game is KoFXIV. That game just released on PS4 in August. KoF also shows up on PC at a later date.

The only other thing is Atlus PR said no in this thread. But that could just be PR. We'll see.
look 3 posts above yours dude.

Guymelef

It would help if he explained why the game was announced as PS4 Console Exclusive at PSX and almost a year later the same label has been put on the box.

It's a Japanese game, maybe it's coming to smartphones...

I mean, nobody has denied smartphone version...

BKK

The logical explanation would be that Sony and Sega have a deal in place for it to be console exclusive.

Maybe Sony explicitly said "you can't release the game on a console that isn't the PS4 but you can release it on the PC, should you so choose!".

I don't know the specifics of what that logo means or what the requirements are. I also know that those "Only on Playstation" logos on games never meant shit.

Maybe they're leaving the door open to port it later depending on sales/reception/whatever? Who knows. But right now, there is NO PC version planned.

Theoretically, every game could at some point come to PC, I really don't think a logo on a boxart is a deciding factor in these decisions.
Maybe Sony explicitly said "you can't release the game on a console that isn't the PS4 but you can release it on the PC, should you so choose!".

This could be very possible. And they chose not to, right now.

jmga

Those labels have next to no meaning and differ by region.

They have a meaning. They mean the game is coming to other platforms that are not consoles in addition to PS4.

In those cases they simply don't put any label on the box, the "Console Exclusive" label has been a 100% confirmation that it is coming to PC so far.

They have a meaning. They mean the game is coming to other platforms that are not consoles in addition to PS4.

Do they mean that that is definitely going to happen, or that it could theoretically happen at some point in the future if the publisher chooses?

Guymelef

In those cases they simply don't put any label on the box, the "Console Exclusive" label has been a 100% confirmation that it is coming to PC so far.

It's simply a open door, could be opened in the future or stay closed until the world ends.

Except that they do. The best example right now is King of FIghters XIV, which is currently only released on the PS4 and has a Console-Exclusive tag.

But the series has received a PC version before, and there has been no news yet of a PC version for that game. It might come, it might not but it's in no way a guarantee.

Right. I can understand defiantly holding out hope. After all, there are still a couple of possibilities that might explain a PC version coming at some point.

1.) People can be persuaded. Perceptions of market viability change. It could easily be the case that they have no intention of releasing the game today and decide tomorrow (I'm using the figurative "tomorrow" here and not the literal one) to go ahead and port it.

2.) Sometimes it can be the case that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

But in terms of the latter, I think it's still better to be mindful of not coming off as rude. Some of these responses wherein it seems that it's being argued that you can never trust PR honestly just come across as needlessly rude. It's one thing to note that PR people are often charged with being non-committal when a statement isn't clear. But when a statement is clear, I don't see the need to outright dismiss the statement because PR people are often disingenuous, incompetent, or both.

If you're someone that wants a PC port, I don't think it's necessary to give up hope. Maybe they'll change their mind at a later date. Maybe decision makers haven't kept PR in the loop. But regardless of what happens, there's no need to take an adversarial stance with someone that is just trying to share information they know.

MUnited83

For you.

Yes, and i'm playing my Persona 5 copy right now. Love it, such a great game that I bought in 2015.

Menitta

If you own a PS4, please don't "hold off" for a possible PC version. Just get it on PS4 so this series can live in the west. That's all I ask.

Guymelef

As of now, every game with the "Console Exclusive" label has been planned for PC since the beginning.

There are like 5? games with that tag.
There was a point years ago when you can use this same argument with the "only on PlayStation" labeled games.

If you own a PS4, please don't "hold off" for a possible PC version. Just get it on PS4 so this series can live in the west. That's all I ask.

Oh god, THIS!!!

If you CAN buy the game. It's an incredible game and buying it not only supports the fantastic devs who made it, but will allows the series to hopefully have more consistent and relatively early releases than we've seen before.

StereoVsn

I would like to point out that same PR said Persona 5 is definitely, undoubtably, for sure, no question, is coming in 2015. And yet here we are now.

However, everyone should buy Yakuza 0 on PS4 anyway and then double dip for PC if that ever comes. We need more Yakuza sales and we need Y6 and Kiwami here before 2018 (or 2019)!

Really, yes, I said reliable info. PR isn't a reliable info when it's to comment on something unannounced. But I'm sure Atlus/Sega USA PR is in the known of everything, especially matters from SEGA Japan or Europe :")
He said no PC version in developpement now. He didn't lied, it's the info he has and is allowed to be disclosed for now.

After all, the very same person claimed Persona 5 was coming for sure in 2015 when no infos was given. So yeah, forgive me to not consider unreliable infos from someone who:
1. Isn't allowed to give infos when not unveiled
2. May not know European/Japanese matters

As for the "decisive answer", that's just the way PR wants to do his way. It doesn't mean it's the right one.

Instead of coming this way, you should read your posts in that DQH thread. You know "Over reaching, twisting words".

StereoVsn

Yes, this. Buy the PS4 version. PC version if exists can be bought later. Yakuza 0 is 1080p and 60 FPS. It's an awesome game that also performs very well on PS4.

EmiPrime

Yakuza releases always have people making up reasons not to buy it. For Y3 it was cut content, for Y5 it was lack of physical release, and for Y0 it's wait for the PC version (even though it's been clearly stated that it isn't coming).

It's pretty amazing that this series continues to get localised as it is, but it's unlikely that we'll get future games localised if too many people decide to wait for a non-existent PC version.

Pretty much, there's always something. We're finally getting a localisation of 0 including a physical release and it's already a 60fps game but that's somehow not enough. I have sympathy for those who own a gaming PC and a PS4 and want to be able to choose come January to play on their preferred platform, I hope you get your wish but those clutching at straws because they don't want to get a PS4 can't be that interested in the series given that 4 games will have come out for it in the space of 3 years.

Just please, don't hold out for something that will likely never come. Support the series come January.

Aki-at

I'm kind of amazed the thread is going strong even after a couple of statements from Atlus PR saying it's not happening.

I mean I'd love to see more and more platforms open up for the series but there doesn't seem to be an indication Sega moving towards that at the moment. Coupled with the fact the series is heavily supported by Sony, I just dont see Zero being ported to the PC anytime soon.

I got a press release from Sega Europe half an hour ago with the new trailer that says:

Help Kazuma Kiryu climb up the Yakuza ranks when Yakuza 0 releases exclusively for the Playstation 4 in Early 2017.

I'm kind of amazed the thread is going strong even after a couple of statements from Atlus PR saying it's not happening.

I mean I'd love to see more and more platforms open up for the series but there doesn't seem to be an indication Sega moving towards that at the moment. Coupled with the fact the series is heavily supported by Sony, I just dont see Zero being ported to the PC anytime soon.

And I'm kind of amazed that of all places, GAF still need to learn that PR isn't a reliable source for things not announced or clearly defined by publishers.

I got a press release from Sega Europe half an hour ago with the new trailer that says:

Help Kazuma Kiryu climb up the Yakuza ranks when Yakuza 0 releases exclusively for the Playstation 4 in Early 2017.

See how easy it is to read into PR words.

Did people seriously expected the Atlus/SEGA PR to come in and say "Yes guys ! I'm not supposed to say so, but it's coming !".

After all, the very same person claimed Persona 5 was coming for sure in 2015 when no infos was given.

yes plans change. Delays happen. I really don't see what this has to do with anything.

That "Console Excluisve" logo is only for NA versions afaik. Never seen that in Europe. So SEGA NA has no information about a PC release but they put it on the box because ???

Plans for a PC release can change as well. You're free to believe that a PC version is pretty much guaranteed, but that's a really shitty way to treat PR people who come on GAF to share information. I would have stopped doing that a long time ago if I was him.

Did people seriously expected the Atlus/SEGA PR to come in and say "Yes guys ! I'm not supposed to say so, but it's coming !".
They could have easily said nothing at all

yes plans change. Delays happen. I really don't see what this has to do with anything.

That "Console Excluisve" logo is only for NA versions afaik. Never seen that in Europe. So SEGA NA has no information about a PC release but they put it on the box because ???

Plans for a PC release can change as well. You're free to believe that a PC version is pretty much guaranteed, but that's a really shitty way to treat PR people who come on GAF to share information. I would have stopped doing that a long time ago if I was him.

They could have easily said nothing at all

It has everything to do with it: PR deals with infos they have as of right now.
I'm not saying it's guaranteed, all I'm saying is that PR won't be helpful for unannounced stuff. Plain and simple.

As for saying nothing at all, that's the PR's choice to say whatever he wants. I mean, the very same PR claims to jam this thread into my face. Not what every PR would do that but anyway.

Top Bottom