• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 shows "PS4 Console Exclusive". Coming to PC? (Nah)

BigEmil

Been 3 statements now that's theres no PC version but GAF still insistent on PC version now threads turning into port begging "why not put it on PC? Just do it." Embarrassing.

Been 3 statements now that's theres no PC version but GAF still insistent on PC version now threads turning into port begging "why not put it on PC? Just do it." Embarrassing.

Lol, no one did that :")
There's been two statements from PR. And all I'm saying is that PR aren't what I'd call a reliable source of information after a leak/rumour.

Jawmuncher

This is with any title/thread with some form of exclusivity.
Regardless of platform.

I just checked and the Bayo 2 announcement/meltdown thread and the OT have the same number of posts. And the Bayo 2 meltdown was locked.

It's crazy when people care more about the platform than the game itself.

Holy friggin' crap. I had no idea it got that bad.

Kind of sad in a way. :/

Wasn't Bayonetta 2 funded by Nintendo?

I'm not referring to the circumstance, but to the fan reaction. Threads about exclusives and potential ports always seem to make people lose their minds but it almost never translates into success for the game itself. :|

It's crazy when people care more about the platform than the game itself.

Not that crazy, the investment in the platform is often several times more than that in a single title, so it's exciting to think that you don't have to reinvest to play a new game that hasn't seen that platform before. And it's not as if the excitement over the platform comes at the expense of the game. People are excited because of the game and it feels like Yakuza games live or die on how pleased their tiny audience is at any given time.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
Deciphering box art markings that have little to no bearing on how a game actually retains or not retains its exclusivity: "PC VERSION CONFIRMED"

Atlus/Sega PR outright says it's not happening: "Nah man I'm not so sure."

Grief.exe

PR is generally the last to be informed of business decisions and motivated to obfuscate the truth until official confirmation.

Sorry, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic no matter how adamant. The historical precedent for PS4 console exclusive being ported to PC is 100%, the historical precedent for PR accuracy is not a good picture, especially with Atlus PR.

You don't have the data to say anything objectively. Unless you work at Sega, I guess.

This is the series that is struggling in the low five figures at this point. I'm not saying PC can't make miracles happen or that $5 sales wouldn't eventually pull the game into profitability but turning a profit worth the investment in a reasonable time frame? For this series? I wouldn't call that certain. They needed Sony to make it happen for the last two on console. The West has shown time and time again they (stupidly) don't respond to the series.

E: also so we're clear, I would love to see Yakuza on PC but being realistic this game is the cut off point for just barely getting localized as is

If it's barely making it to the west as it is, what would discount a PC version in this scenario? The justification essentially doubles the revenue for the western version.

• The demographic often supports games with minimal to no ad budget based on word of mouth alone. Niche titles are perfect for the platform.
  • Guarantees essentially indefinite revenue due to forward compatibility and subsequent sales.
  • PC ports tend to be completed with minimal staff, I believe the credits in the team for Metal Gear Rising and Valkyria Chronicles were less than 20 people. Which drives up the margins.
  • A plurality, if not a majority of Sega's income comes from the platform at this point. They've invested heavily in PC exclusives that sell millions of copies and they consistently port console games to PC.

It wouldn't make fiscal sense for Sega to not port the game.

Deciphering box art markings that have little to no bearing on how a game actually retains or not retains its exclusivity: "PC VERSION CONFIRMED"

It was announced that way which, again, has 100% historical precedence for a PC version.

z4xaRa6.jpg

Jawmuncher

At the end of the day we can say that Right now it ain't happening.
But that doesn't mean it can never happen. I'm sure Sega said VC wouldn't go anywhere else and years down the line it came out on PC.

Regardless of that, this thread is basically over at this point. Nothing much to discuss now unless more info is put out in the future.

Atlus/Sega PR outright says Persona 5 release in 2015. We're back to the circle, no one claims PC version is confirmed. You're just putting words in my mouth. What I'm saying is Atlus/Sega PR words don't hold much weight. That's all.

TheFlow

Banned
PR is generally the last to be informed of business decisions and motivated to obfuscate the truth until official confirmation.

Sorry, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic no matter how adamant. The historical precedent for PS4 console exclusive being ported to PC is 100%, the historical precedent for PR accuracy is not a good picture, especially with Atlus PR.

If it's barely making it to the west as it is, what would discount a PC version in this scenario? What would be the justification for essentially doubling the revenue of the western version

• The demographic often supports games with minimal to no ad budget based on word of mouth alone. Niche titles are perfect for the platform.
  • Guarantees essentially indefinite revenue due to forward compatibility and subsequent sales.
  • PC ports tend to be completed with minimal staff, I believe the credits in the team for Metal Gear Rising and Valkyria Chronicles were less than 20 people. Which drives up the margins.
  • A plurality, if not a majority of Sega's income comes from the platform at this point. They've invested heavily in PC exclusives that sell millions of copies and they consistently port console games to PC.

Nothing to discuss. Pr left no sign of a maybe. Go out and buy yakuza 0 in Jan and support a great series. So maybe in a couple years we can get some pc stuff

ZeroX03

Banned
Not that crazy, the investment in the platform is often several times more than that in a single title, so it's exciting to think that you don't have to reinvest to play a new game that hasn't seen that platform before. And it's not as if the excitement over the platform comes at the expense of the game. People are excited because of the game and it feels like Yakuza games live or die on how pleased their tiny audience is at any given time.

I'm not sure if I buy that. For some people, sure that's the case. For many others it's the principle of wanting PC ports first and foremost (or that one idiot who wanted it to be PS exclusive), or outrage over companies buying exclusivity rather than any interest in the game itself. The Bayo 2 meltdown thread really, really is something to behold. When Rise of the Tomb Raider gets released on PS4 it'll be interesting to see how many people still care about the game itself and not just anger at MS.

Again we haven't had a Yakuza thread this popping in a while. It's already ahead of the Haruka scandal.

BigEmil

Lol, no one did that :")
There's been two statements from PR. And all I'm saying is that PR aren't what I'd call a reliable source of information after a leak/rumour.
Yeah as if you didn't read the previous pages and lol of course not exactly how I worded it but that's exactly what they mean and phrase it just worded differently.

Yeah as if you didn't read the previous pages and lol of course not exactly how I worded it but that's exactly what they mean and phrase it just worded differently.

What I read in the previous pages are defensive people nearly hoping it's never happening for whatever reason.

Nothing to discuss. Pr left no sign of a maybe. Go out and buy yakuza 0 in Jan and support a great series. So maybe in a couple years we can get some pc stuff

This. Support the game so maybe we can see more in the future. Hopefully people are actually as excited about this game I am!

BigEmil

What I read in the previous pages are defensive people nearly hoping it's never happening for whatever reason.
As in you were only focused on those few posts out of the many portbegging posts to PC you scrolled right through. Lol just stop.

Jawmuncher

This. Support the game so maybe we can see more in the future. Hopefully people are actually as excited about this game I am!

If it wasn't going up against RE7 I would be there day 1. Interested in the series and a prequel seems like a decent place to start. I do plan on getting it at some point regardless though. Still wish they had the Yakuza Samurai game back when the PS4 Launched. Would have bought that in a heartbeat.

Are you getting an exclusive 2016 release of Yakuza 0, Jaw? Come on man, tell me who is your supplier :p

I wish. December is barren for me. Would be the perfect time to play it.

As in you were only focused on those few posts out of the many portbegging posts to PC you scrolled right through. Lol just stop.

Question: Do you know what's portbegging ?
As for the "lol just stop", I'm not your school buddy. So would you please stop with the patronize ?

Grief.exe

If you're not into the PC scene, following this constantly for 5+ years you wouldn't be aware of the trend or how PR treats these issues.

Currently, it's moved to cautiously optimistic for a port. There is more definitive evidence backing a potential port at this point than not. Unless your argument is, this is the way things have always been, which is a fallacy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why are people so resistant to games like these going to PC? Its not as if they are going to get more exposure and sales potential any other way, and its not as if they are obligated to stay on Sony platforms just because they are Japanese games.

If Sony wants to fund first party exclusives and third party exclusive collaborations for their platform, as well make deals and secure partnerships in the Japanese(or even western) oriented space, they can easily do that themselves, they have done so before.

But its completely ridiculous to expect third parties who are just trying to get by, with no real lifeline or financial security from Sony themselves, to keep their games on Sony platforms just because.

They have no obligation nor any real reason to do so if they deem otherwise.

I'm not sure if I buy that. For some people, sure that's the case. For many others it's the principle of wanting PC ports first and foremost (or that one idiot who wanted it to be PS exclusive), or outrage over companies buying exclusivity rather than any interest in the game itself. The Bayo 2 meltdown thread really, really is something to behold. When Rise of the Tomb Raider gets released on PS4 it'll be interesting to see how many people still care about the game itself and not just anger at MS.

Again we haven't had a Yakuza thread this popping in a while. It's already ahead of the Haruka scandal.

The news is fresh and I think the excitement has overridden the otherwise logical minds of a devoted fanbase. You're right, bayo (and likely yakuza) fans are nuts about this kind of thing (just shout 'LOL YOU NEVER GOT KENZAN OR ISHIN' in a room of them) but in the long run the scar tissue is thick and folks are used to disappointment. At least, I think they are, I know I am.

TheFlow

Banned
If you're not into the PC scene, following this constantly for 5+ years you wouldn't be aware of the trend or how PR treats these issues.

Currently, it's moved to cautiously optimistic for a port. There is more definitive evidence backing a potential port at this point than not. Unless your argument is, this is the way things have always been, which is a fallacy.
So where is the pc announcement or hit of it? Or are we just being cautiously optimistic? Ayyye

Also, guys you seriously need to forget about Kenzan. Even if Sega wanted to bring it here they would be crucified by the media. Kenzan takes place in a time when child prostitution was a thing in Japan. That shit ain't flying in the west no matter how they handled it in the actual game.

BigEmil

I dont. There's no need to pursue with someone patronizing.
Weren't you the one who kept quoting me in the first place? Stop trying to play this victim card all of a sudden. Anyways enough with this on this thread like I said if you want to you can pm that's all end of.

Grief.exe

So where is the pc announcement or hit of it? Or are we just being cautiously optimistic? Ayyye

I've said it time and again, but announcing or labeling a game as PS4 console exclusive, of which this game falls under both categories, has 100% historical precedence for a PC port.

PR has terrible historical precedence, they tend to deny, deflect, and obfuscate until the official announcement.

ZeroX03

Banned
If it's barely making it to the west as it is, what would discount a PC version in this scenario? The justification essentially doubles the revenue for the western version.

Like I said, neither of us have the numbers that Sega do. You're not arguing for a PC port with me as much as you are with Sega, and they know localization costs, their teams and projected sales numbers more than anyone.

This is a series where localization costs are enough to render the series barely profitable. Porting costs.

Also I'll add that devoting resources to projects that turn a profit may still not make financial sense if they can be put toward something that would turn a greater profit. Resources are actually a limited thing, especially since Sega does a lot in house. Even if a theoretical Yakuza port turned a profit after two years of Steam sales and earned them a few hundred dollars a month beyond that point, that's still probably not a "good"
investment.

Again, would love to be wrong. But port happy Sega probably wouldn't keep the series locked down without good reason.

A logo is not cause for cautious optimism when you've got people telling you definitively no. They aren't being your usual PR vague.

The news is fresh and I think the excitement has overridden the otherwise logical minds of a devoted fanbase. You're right, bayo (and likely yakuza) fans are nuts about this kind of thing (just shout 'LOL YOU NEVER GOT KENZAN OR ISHIN' in a room of them) but in the long run the scar tissue is thick and folks are used to disappointment. At least, I think they are, I know I am.

How many people in this thread are actually Yakuza fans and how many are just PC the platform fans, I guess is what I'm saying. Heaps of people in that Bayo thread are more pissed at the platform than the actual game. I think a lot of Yakuza fans know better than to read too much into things like this, considering the series history.

A.Romero

I would get it day 1, even if it's a shitty port just so I could hope to get them all on PC. It'd make me so happy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh we're on to True Fan testing now. The best part of fandoms.

I don't mean it like that, you can really take a look at any platform exclusive thread and see where I'm coming from. Not every person upset over an exclusive or missing port is actually a lost sale.

ar4757

Do you want to wait until 2017 for the game?

lol

I believe it will come out on PC in 2017 at some point, maybe on release. Giving Yakuza the best chance to become viable to localize in the west is a great thing! PS4 and PC could secure us the future of the series
...I hope

Top Bottom